You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Party In The Morgue

Real Ghost Stories

Party In The Morgue

 

In the 90's I worked as a security guard and one of the businesses that contracted us was the local hospital. On top of the usual drunks, addicts, etc, we were also responsible for checking the "guest list" in the morgue. Every two hours we were to go through the drawers and the "meat locker" and check each "guest's" toe tag against an inventory sheet, to make sure everyone was always accounted for.

I worked night shift there for almost 2 months and nothing weird happened, except for a call button that liked to go off in an empty room... But that could have been a mechanical problem.

On what ended up being my last night there, I had a college interview in the morning so had to get off work a half hour early. I always made my morgue check at straight up the hour, but because I was leaving early, I did my last check of the night a half hour early as well.

Like most hospitals, the morgue was in the basement and the acoustics down there were such that every sound echoed slightly. I got off the elevator, and started down the long hall to the morgue, my footsteps echoing as I walked. I started hearing what sounded like people talking, which was nothing unusual in itself, late night arrivals and attendants working late was commonplace, but this sounded different. The voices, especially the couple of laughs I heard... I still can hear the laughs, had a hollow, kind of distant quality to them... And there was more than a few of them. I was officially creeped out.

As I got 25, 30 feet from the morgue I hear a man say, "He's coming!" and an old woman respond "He's early." I quicken my pace as I hear a hurried commotion and mumbled voices, and gave a shout on my walkie for backup in the morgue.

I bust into the morgue not knowing what to expect... And there's no one there. I look in all the rooms, under and behind all the furniture... Nothing. Than I see it. Laying on the floor by the drawers is a toe tag.

I start opening the drawers expecting to catch someone hiding in some of them, and find no one but the "guests". The third one I opened ended up being the owner of the orphan toe tag. Three other guards came down and we did a full search of the whole floor, found no one.

What freaked me out though was I had been checking the bodies all night, some had been here a couple days... And so I kind of knew what body was where. When I did my search of the drawers, almost half of them were in the wrong ones!

I quit that day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BooDuh1175, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bugbear808 (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-08)
I know I'm a little late to respond, but after reading this I just had to say... Holy cow! I would have never had the nerve to do your job! Instant fav-thank you for sharing! 😁 ❤
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-29)
"The acoustics were such..." of course... And "He's early." Brr...
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-18)
Wow...I think I might have quit too. If the bodies hadn't been mixed up and a toe tag dropped outside the lockers, I probably could have rationalized the voices, but that's pretty in your face messed up.

In hindsight though, isn't it kind of a fun idea that our corpses could be having get-togethers after we die, even in such grim surroundings, and still enjoying meeting new people and sharing their experiences or telling about their lives? It gives me something to look forward to and less to fear.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
This story is realllllyyyy good. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
PriyankaMenon (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
your story is really creepy I would have fainted if I would have seen that.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
BooDuh, no offense but I can see this quite clearly as a Twilight Zone episode - LOVE it! But in reality, yeah totally creepy!
loneybone (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
WOW what a great and creepy story. Makes me wonder about zombies... Lol I would have also freaked out bad, and I don't know what I would of done seeing actual bodies moving when there supposed to be dead...
Jodie_S (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
Officially one of my favourite stories on here...;) thaks for sharing it!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-27)
Welcome to YGS.
That sure was a creepy experience, though I have some questions about that hospital:
Was there a CCTV system in the morgue and/or in the basement?
Do the drawers lock from the outside part or is it possible to open them from the inside say, like in case someone wakes up from a misdiagnosed death and can get out of there?

Personally, I think it would make more sense and would be more efficient to lock the entrance to the morgue and have a guard permanently at the door instead of going in every two hours, but I do not know anything about a hospital administration. 😐

Anyway, your experience was very creepy!
I wonder why the bodies didn't make a run out of the morgue when they had one more opportunity to join the living again. 😆

Thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: