You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Fireflies

Real Ghost Stories

Fireflies

 

As a young child, one of my favorite pass times was to catch and count fireflies. We had a small backyard, so occasionally we would go down the street and across to a small park that was not particularly friendly to find some. This usually happened when the family was over and we ran out of room for the large amounts of people in our home. Our parents would walk us down there and sit talking while us kids ran around yelling and screaming.

We would then head home. My sister and her crew would be wearing jewelry they made by pulling off the butts of the fireflies and I would be carrying a sun tea jar that I had set up as a kind of apartment for them until we got home where I would set them free. On this particular day, we kids stayed outside in the tool shed that we set up as a playhouse until it got cold and then we went to the basement.

We were playing the usual things: roller skating the length of the room to grab onto a support beam to see how fast we could spin around, board games, setting up house in the room under the stairs, and breaking into my father's dark room. We were absolutely, under no circumstances allowed in there as he was always working on new photographs in various stages of development and experimentation.

Right about the time the neighbor boy and I broke into the darkroom my Mother came yelling down the stairs that whoever let the fireflies free inside the house had made a bad decision. We had forgotten them out in the shed, so we knew it wasn't us.

As we went up the stairs to go outside and prove it was not us we heard the adults talking about the fireflies down the hall blinking and bouncing all over. My uncle states that with the blinking it was hard to tell, but he thought there were maybe five in the house. As he tried to approach to capture them, the light would go out and he could not find where they went. My grandmother says that they looked agitated. She always said it was as if they were expecting a bug zapper would jump out of no where and attack them.

Out in the shed, the jar lid was still on tight. My sisters fireflies were, well... Gone. She was wearing them. None of us had taken any in the house. All of the kids though had to search the house and try to rid it of these fireflies. None were ever found. We were not allowed to put them in a jar after that. Coincidence on the timing of the break-in and the fireflies or was it something more?

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitebuffalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MaybeBlue (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-20)
Floating balls of light that are impossible to catch. Sounds a little like will-o-the-wisps maybe.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Kirie toeleossou iston eona taergaton hironsou mipatridis. Miegatalipisme Kirie.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
In the Name of The Great Spirit,
And by the power of His Blood and His Mercy,
We bind all spirits in the air, and the fire and the water,
In the ground and the underground and the nether world,
And we bind any satanic forces of nature.
We bind all curses, hexes, or spells, or any occult activity previously used.
We bind the interaction and interplay of spirits.
And we claim the protection
Of the Great Spirit
Over this house and grounds, and over every person here.
We call upon the ancestors of the land
And the company of angels to surround this place,
Making it both safe and sacred.
And we call out to you, O Great Spirit.
Come now and fill this place, never to leave!
We pray in the name of the Great Spirit, Amen.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Say, if anyone is still reading through this, I was just watching a show ("A Haunting") and I was wondering about Sprites. Could these fireflies have been them? I am lost, though, as it was in a big city and as far as I know it started out as a big city from the get go. Well, not at Creation, but...
Just wondering.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
😆 You are not right, essiej. You like to hear of people getting busted, don't you? Especially me. I happen to think that you may be right here, though. I have no other explanation.
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
You were busted. All parents say that a little birdie told them something when there kids get in trouble. Yours just sent in the fireflies!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
That is awesome! I guess I am not as crazy as my parents would have me believe. It's just too bad that I can't go back there and see if they still happen. Or that they could perform on demand! Thanks again.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
It has happened many times over the years. I have seen them on occasion but the biggest display(which I didn`t witness) happened just a little while back. My sister who lives in the family home said it put on quite a show. Most of the time they appeared in darkened bedrooms but this last time it was in the dining room in daylight.

Be Safe and God Bless
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Thanks FRAWIN. Was this a one time incident or was it recurring? This was the only time that I can recall being yelled at for setting them free in the house, but that doesn't mean my memory serves me right on that.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
whitebuffalo hers`s something to think about. In the house where I grew up there was a spirit/ghost that would appear as lights blinking off and on, like your firefly incident. It would last a few minutes and quit.

Be Safe and God Bless
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Mustang, when my sister made the jewelry, she would always do it immediately after catching them as I had the tendency to try to steal them from her (if I could without smashing them in her hand), but I can not say with certainty that this is what happened on this particular day. She was playing with us in the basement though. Thank you for your questions and comments!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi Whitebuffalo. I was thinking of orbs while I was reading about the lights blinking in the hall. I don't think that I've ever heard of orbs blinking before though. This sounds like a very strange occurrence but I don't exactly know what to make of it. Do you think that there could have been someone playing a joke and let them in the house without anyone knowing? Did your sister say that the fireflies on her necklace were the same ones that were in the jar. If so, maybe some could have slipped in from outside. Who knows. It very well could be a paranormal occurrence! Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Thank you KimSouthO for your comment. I'm not sure what the adults were talking about. I wonder about orbs too. I know they float and bounce at times, but do they blink like fireflies?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
hmmmmm, interesting story. Orbs, maybe? I have a hard time with orbs because they can often be explained as a naturally occuring phenommenon, however, this story may be the exception. Wonder what the adults where discussing as this occured? This may have soemthing to do with the 'fireflies' appearance as well.

God Bless! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: