You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man in Palmer Park

Real Ghost Stories

The Man in Palmer Park

 

This story took place about 12 years ago. I was 14 and living in a townhouse on the north end of Colorado Springs with both my older brother and my grandmother. Our home was right on the edge of a park called Palmer Park. It's a huge park that really looks more like the woods. People go there to hike, mountain bike, etc. I would often go there after school with friends to hang out before going home. There was a pavilion not far from the entrance of the park that we used to sit at to talk.

One day, myself and 2 friends of mine were at the pavilion doing the usual when I realized that it had gotten dark and that I had to get home. So I started on my short trip home alone, leaving my 2 buddies behind me. Half way home, I noticed what looked like the figure of a man standing amongst the trees. At first I thought that it might have been my brother coming to let me know how much trouble I was in, but the closer I got the more that I could see that it wasn't my brother at all. I even spoke "hello" to the person as I passed by, but "he" didn't even make a sound. I could clearly see that whatever it was, was watching me. I actually saw his body shift as I passed. That's when I got scared and started running. I ran until I got home, and when I did, I quickly shut the sliding glass door, locked it and looked outside toward the park as I caught my breath.

Now I know that some people might say that it was "just some guy". Or a tree, or that maybe I was imagining the whole thing but I wasn't. I saw the figure of a man standing there watching me. It was weird because I remember that I was only few feet away and could not see his face, and the body looked more like a shadow of a body instead of the real thing.

Finally 5 minutes or so after I made it home I saw both of my friends walking along the parking lot. As they walked passed my door, I opened it and asked if they'd seen anyone in the park as they walked out. They both said no (of course). I will never forget that night. Although I'm not exactly sure if it were a ghost or not. I cannot come up with any explanation as to what happened. The time was too close, and if what I saw would have went deeper into the park my friends would have seen it on their way out. If it came into the complex I would have seen it coming towards me.

Anyone have any speculations? Please, I would love to hear them. Thank you all again.

Other hauntings by futureghost211

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, futureghost211, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ohthatsfreaky (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
I believe you! This past July my husband and I took our dog for a late run at the dog park while we ate some burgers. It was close to 9:30p.m. And our dog was running around the enclosure sniffing everything as we enjoyed our late dinner. We are both sensitive to the paranormal, and often compare what we feel. We were talking and enjoying the cool night when a low long whistle suddenly cut through our conversation. All of us (dog included) immediately stopped. Our dog's fur and t and the hair on the back of my neck to stand straight up. A second whistle came from the woods in front of us breaking the silence. Our dog Lucy then bolted for the gate on the other side. My husband than looked at me and said that's our sign to go. We left the park going around it instead of through like we normally do when heading home. Talking to older family members this shadow man has been seen since the 1960's, just can't trace his identity.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
Oh, I believe you saw a figure of a man, alright. This story is just creepy. I had chills. I hate to say it, but I almost feel like this was a man up to some nefarious deed, and you just happened to thwart his plans by speaking to him. Your angels were watching you though and sent you home as if the hounds of hell were on your heels. As they very well may have been, had you lingered to see if he was "just a man". Thank you for your story.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Maybe, if it were a 'man' watching you, he knew you saw him so it scared him into hiding. Maybe he didn't come out of the woods. Atleast not while you were watching! Maybe he was living in the woods. Maybe, it in fact, was a ghost! You are the only one that knows what you saw. If you truly think it was a ghost, than that is probably what it was. 😊~Shelby ❤
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Thank you FRAWIN. I might have to agree with you on that one, but I still don't know what happened to that "man" since my friends didn't see him when they came out a few moments later, and I didn't see him coming out of the park either. There was no way he could have just vanished. It scared the crap out of me anyway. Thank you for your comment 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-25)
Hello futureghost211. I have read and re-read your story and each time I have come to the same conclusion, the thing you saw in Palmer Park was a man. A man with truly evil in his mind and heart. In my opinion, the paranormal part of your experience was your guardian angel/spirit showing it to you in a way that would make you scared and run away.

Be Safe and God Bless
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-24)
Thanks Athena, actually when I think about it I remember feeling that whatever it was, was evil. I mean when I walked by, it just made me feel un-easy. So I personally wouldn't call it a guardian angel, but it was definitely a being of some kind.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
FG211, (your handle is great!)
You sound so confident that it was a being and not a living person. That more than anything else is good evidence that you saw something strange.
Was it a guardian angel? Was it a ghost? Or something else?
Which way are you leaning?
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
I just wanted to thank all of you again. 😊 I never had anymore experiences in that park, but I do know that there have been a few murders there in the past, but all of the victims were women I think. Maybe I was face to face with the killer. 😨 Whatever it was it had me spooked.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi, futureghost. A lot of people will probably find all kinds of ways to explain things away, I think you're right about that. Some people are more intuitive and some don't want to believe. You had some pretty strong feeling while passing the man and had a strong feeling that something was odd so, going by those feelings, I think you did have an encounter with an entity. The spirit was probably attached to the land or the park, he didn't seem particularly interested in you. It doesn't sound as if you felt threatened, just a little freaked out. You know the feelings you had during your experience, it's one of those 'you had to be there' sort of thing. Thanks for sharing your story.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi futureghost211! It very well could have been a ghost. It also could have been some weirdo watching you guys waiting to do something. Woods are a good place for someone to do dirty deeds without being caught. The woods are creepy by themselves without something like that happening. Usually ghosts disappear when you notice them and then start to walk towards them. Well, whatever it was, it sounds creepy to me. Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Thank you for sharing your story. Many times wooded areas hold secrets that we can only dream, or, have night mares about.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: