You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Someone Watching Me Sleep

Real Ghost Stories

Someone Watching Me Sleep

 

I have had a few 'unexplained' occurrences happen to me early in life, mostly during teens and later on college, that were scary at the time, but forgotten the morning after. Now I am much older, I think back on those 'events' and think - yeah, that was definitely spooky and unexplained. I am a big horror movie fan and tend to watch almost all of them - mostly the supernatural/occult ones - I leave the slasher ones for times when I am really scraping the barrel.

So this particular one has been etched in my brain for the longest time I can remember and at the time it happened, I was not the least bit scared and did not even know what I had seen. It was only much later, maybe twenty years or so later, that I realised I don't have an explanation.

We were a family of expats living in the Middle East, which is where I was born and brought up, along with my two sisters. Both my parents were working (as most expats families in the Middle East do) and we lived in a two bedroom apartment. Nothing fancy, a simple clean flat.

I think one fine day, Dad and Mom decided that our flat was in need of a good paint job and had commissioned two local painters to start work over a weekend. The workers too were male expats (not sure from which country, but it is not relevant). All our stuff was covered in bed sheets, most of the kitchen was closed off and we had to, all of us, sleep on the floor in the living room, as the rooms had fresh paint and we had to leave the windows open. As it is a very hot country one cannot sleep with out an air conditioner and that was why the living room was chosen as it was to be the last room to be painted and the air condition was connected and we could close the windows at night.

Anyway, we all laid on the mattresses, settled in for the night after the painters had left. My sisters and I (we were about 4, 6, and 9 years) slept on two mattresses and my parents at the far end of the room on two other ones.

Sometime during the night I, half asleep, turned to sleep on my side and there in the dark I saw a very dark man, wearing workers' clothes (a vest, loose cloth around the waist and a cloth around his head, like a sweat band), sitting against the wall (I was closest to the wall) with one leg folded under him and the other kept up, bent at the knee, upon which his hand was resting and he was watching me. I, with very bleary eyes, looked at him a few moments (he just kept watching me) and went back to sleep, thinking it was morning and that the workers had returned.

At that time, I didn't think anything of it (oh the joys of childhood innocence!) but as I grew older, the image has always remained firmly entrenched in my mind and I know now that it was something definitely spooky that happened to me. Sometimes, I freak out inside when I think about it.

Post then, I have had various situations where I have had some strong forces sitting on my back when I am asleep and I am unable to turn or scream. Really scary. But nothing since I got married and started my family.

Are our psychic powers more active when we are children? I don't know, I have thought about it of course, but don't have an answer.

PS - Apologies for typos and grammatical errors, I was typing this out quite fast.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, johnboy1964, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

SomeCallMeTim (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-12)
TwitchyMind:

Not wanting to hijack johnboy's thread...I'll post the entire tale separately as soon as the site is accepting more stories. Basically, the phenomena faded as my self-medication increased.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-06)
Hi, I really liked your story, thanks for sharing!:) But what is it that makes you feel like this was paranormal and not actually a man that got in to your house? I really feel like it's scarier if that was the case, but I'm just curious to know maybe I missed something in the story ^_^
TwitchyMind (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-04)
Hi JohnBoy1964 - I have had a similiar experience but its crazy how we just shrug things off when we are kids!

Thanks for sharing

Hi SomeCallMeTim - I'd really like to know more about the things that you experienced in your basement? As you got older did you just completely ignore experiences you had down there or did they just stop entirely when you put your walls up?

Thank you! 😁
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-02)
Yes maybe, our psychic powers are stronger when we are children. Or it can also be that children being mentally and physically weak and their tendency to get afraid soon become the targets of these spirits more frequently than young adults or middle age adults.

Thanks For Sharing! 😊
SomeCallMeTim (4 stories) (13 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-01)
In answer to your question, I think we're more open to psychic activity as children. Our minds and opinions are still developing, and we readily accept the existence of magical beings who deliver holiday gifts and reimburse us for lost baby teeth. As we age, we decide what we will and won't accept as reality.

As a child, I saw and heard horrific, shadowy "things" (that's the best that I can describe them) in the basement of the house in which I grew up. The house was just a year older than I, and had never been occupied by anyone other than our family. My parents staunchly refused to entertain my "imaginings." I avoided the basement whenever possible, and when a chore demanded that I go down there, I completed it as hastily as possible and got out. As I got older, I managed to shut it all out completely... Unfortunately with the aid of controlled substances, but that's another discussion entirely.

I'm glad your childhood experience wasn't as terrifying as mine. Do you remember feeling anything malevolent about the apparition?
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
Hi JohnBoy1964 - I wonder if sometimes we are able to glimpse other times, almost like an old movie. During one of the only times I have seen an apparition, I briefly glimpsed someone who appeared to be from the 1950s or early 1960s going about their business. I immediately thought of this when I read your story. I can imagine your surprise when you realized that he wasn't one of the workers painting your apartment! No matter what the reason, the experience had to be spooky, at least in retrospect.

Your experience of a strong force sitting on your back sounds like sleep paralysis. It seems to me to be a tidy, scientific explanation that may not explain all similar experiences. Sleep paralysis can be unnerving. As a young man, I would occasionally awaken from a nap after college classes to find myself unable to move, while hearing someone approaching me from behind. When the paralysis would lift, no one would be there. So glad I never saw anyone... Or anything.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: