You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Apartment Was Very Active

Real Ghost Stories

My Apartment Was Very Active

 

I will start this story by saying that I am a firm believer in the paranormal, but I've never actually SEEN a ghost. First I'll give a little history on myself. I've had a life of tragic loss. My identical twin sister died in a car accident when we were 6, then my dad died when I was 16. Needless to say I was scared to death to turn 26. When I was 25, I got pregnant with my daughter. When I realized she would be born a month after I turned 26, I was petrified that I'd lose her or me during child birth. I thank God that didn't happen. I've also lost all of my grandparents but one, and a lot of aunts and uncles. I know I have spirits around me, watching after my daughter and I.

That being said... My first real paranormal experience was when I was 19 and I moved into my first apartment. This apartment was extremely active. It started out fairly innocent with the toilet flushing on its own. My grandfather was a plumber so I knew air in the line could cause the toilet to "flush." I wrote it off as just that and figured someone in the apartment attached had probably just flushed.

One day a male friend came to visit and see my new place. He came out of the bathroom and told me it was very nice of me to leave the toilet seat up for him. I was very confused as I hadn't left it up. As a single woman living alone, there was absolutely no reason for it to be up.

After that, the activity became more and more intense. I was scared to even go to sleep, and would stay up until the sun came up. Every night when I got home from work, the AC had been turned down to 53 degrees. This was an old dial thermostat, not digital; so I knew the knob had been turned (my electric bill was $280 a month in a tiny one bedroom apartment because of this).

This ghost didn't care who was around, he'd make his presence known. I'd have a house full of people, and my cabinet doors would open and then slam shut. My silverware drawer would do the same. He would throw things across my living room. If a woman slept on my couch, he would stand in the doorway and watch them. I never saw this, but I had 2 friends give me the same story. They didn't even know each other.

When I moved out, my downstairs neighbors said they could hear someone running around my apartment and throwing things around until after midnight. I had been gone from the apartment and everything was moved out by 10:30 AM that morning. I only stayed in that apartment for a year, and moved out as soon as my lease was up.

I've tried to research to see if anything happened in that apartment that would explain it being haunted, but the only thing that ever comes up when I google it is that it's still available for rent. I'm guessing not many people stay in that apartment for long, which would explain why it always seems to be available for rent.

My current apartment is haunted according to my boyfriend and his brother. I have never personally had any experiences here, but they both swear there are shadow figures. My boyfriend's brother is particularly bothered by what he says is the ghost of my dad. He says "my dad" taunts him and laughs at him. He says he has pushed him in the bathroom. I am not sure I believe this as my dad was the most loving, easy going man I've ever met. Unless my dad is trying to scare him because he knows I secretly hate him. I do not know why I hate him, but there is something about him I just can't stand. He's super sweet and would do anything for me (besides get his own place and get off my couch). But despite that... I absolutely loath this man, and I have no idea why. I have never met anyone else in my life that I feel this way about, and I'm not an angry person. I don't know, maybe I seriously just have issues with him living on my couch.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AndiKate81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AndiKate81 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-01)
The very active apartment was when I was 19. I only stayed there a year. As for the boyfriend's Brother, I doubt he'd make a pass; he knows better. I've tried doing research on the land and the apartment that was really active, but I never come up with anything.: (
parascholar (6 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-01)
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your story. It would be interesting to find out about the history of the apartment building, and of the land itself. I encountered one person who told of how their mother and themselves were taunted by a spirit over the course of 18 months. Later, they found out that the mother of the owner of the house had died there before they moved in. Could something similar have happened with you?

We would love to read more. We actually feature people's paranormal experiences on our YouTube channel. Maybe you would be interested in this? Just get in touch!

Kindly,
The Paranormal Scholar
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-30)
Hello AndiKate81

How scary is that. Slamming drawers & staring people down while they try to sleep.

Considering the possibility that this could be your father acting out on your feelings, was your BF's brother there any of the times your house was full of people and drawers were opening & slamming shut?
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-08-28)
AndiKate,

Maybe the reason you loathe this man is because you are picking up signals that given the chance he would make a pass at you. He may be jealous of his brother. The sentence,"he's super sweet and wil do anything for me" is very telling. You're intuition is working,it's time for brother to go.

Regards,
Red
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-26)
Andikate81,

I too have been in the living haunted situation, many many times.

I have started to believe the ghosties that reside, wherever they reside wait a little while as to check us out. Then go about their daily routines, whether they care or not that is scares us I have no idea.

In my many experiences with haunted homes that I have lived, the real scary stuff happens a good while after I move in. Usually when I have become comfortable, and used to the bumps and noises that come with the place.

Now as for the person mooching off of ya, if your gut is saying" I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is a reason I don't like this person",then listen to your gut. There is a good reason to never ignore but follow that instinct.

Hope you find a way to flush the couch surfer out!

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
AndiKate81 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
Yeah, the whole apartment just had a very negative feeling the longer I lived there. I always wanted my friends to come hang out so I wouldn't be alone. I took a second shift job, just so I didn't have to sleep until the sun came up.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
I would trust your gut with the couch surfer - he could be doing bad stuff on the sly, or be capable of something bad, regardless of how nice he seems.

Something may be bothering or harassing him, or he's just lying. Either way, if your gut says yuck, out he should go.

The apartment man sounded very territorial - and if the apartment is still for rent, that may be exactly how he likes it. Must be frustrating for the apartment manager.
AndiKate81 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
I actually am 100% comfortable in my apartment. I feel there is someone there watching over us, but it doesn't give me an uneasy feeling at all. This is why I feel it could be my dad, or grandma, or sister... The place just feels like home to me. The couch surfer is the only one who has any issues with it. Lol
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
AndiKate81- I know the feeling of living in a haunted apartment! Been there doing that. You may need to do research on the Land itself. Find out what happened during the early time periods. As for your couch surfer yeah I would be upset to if I had someone just living off of me. Maybe your dad will scare him enough to make him leave! I hope that your new place isn't haunted, it's not a good feeling when you have to be afraid in your own home.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: