You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Disappearing Doll

Real Ghost Stories

The Disappearing Doll

 

Realizing as a teen that the house I grew up in was haunted, this is my earliest memory of an occurrence that, as a child, I didn't understand. I was born in 1977, four minutes later than my identical twin sister. Growing up, we did everything together.

When we were around five years old, Santa Claus left us each a doll under the Christmas tree. My sister's wore a red satin dress and mine wore a satin blue. When you tilted them back, they cried and their eyes would close. Tilt them forward and the eyes would open.

One Saturday, we were playing on Mama and Daddy's double bed. Mama always made the bed every single morning... You could bounce a quarter off of it. The comforter was tucked neatly under the pillows and the end was tucked tight between the mattress and footboard. To a couple of five year olds, the double bed felt like a King size. We had plenty of room to color, draw, play with our dolls, etc.

Mama was hanging out clothes that day, leaving us inside to play. We kept each other company and basically out of trouble. A couple of sheets of paper, a worn out box of crayons and my sister's doll made the day spectacular playing on the 'King size bed'. We were playing on top of the covers and other than a few wrinkles from us crawling around on top, the bed was still pristine.

We both had to use the bathroom, we always went together, so we walked out of the bedroom... Down the hall. We left behind the paper, the crayons and her doll. We weren't gone two or three minutes at the most. We entered the bedroom at the same time and my sister turned to me and asked this simple question: "What did you do with my doll?" I told her I hadn't done anything with her. We both looked on the bed, she wasn't there. We looked on the floor, she wasn't there. We climbed back on the bed that looked no different than when we left, except for the doll being gone.

While moving around, I found a lump at the foot of the bed. I slowly got off the bed. Lifted the comforter, couldn't see the doll. Lifted the top sheet, couldn't see the doll. Pulled the fitted sheet from the under the mattress, reached underneath and pulled the doll out. She was under the fitted sheet! I had to practically unmake the bed to get her out.

We ran to the backdoor only to find Mama halfway down the clothesline, still hanging out clothes. As children, we accused each other of hiding the doll. I knew I didn't do it and she knew she didn't do it, but in our minds, we were the only ones that could have. It wasn't until we were half grown that we looked back at this encounter and realized that neither of us had hid the doll... This would be the start of strange occurrences for the next 15 years that we lived in the house...

Other hauntings by GinaFowler

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GinaFowler, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

queenlol (9 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
That's why I don't play with dolls. But your story, WoW! That was a chiller. I loved your story, even though it freaked me out and gave me goosebumps! 😲 😁
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-30)
Hello GinaFowler

Loved your story! Very interested in hearing about more of your experiences in that house.
Cutepotatoe (5 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-29)
Your story reminds me of ANNABELLE! Your dolls might have been haunted just like her. Did you ask your mum where she bought them? 🤔
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-29)
Gina,
Your story reminds me of when I put my keys or something else down. When I go to retrieve the item it isn't there. But I know the culprit is my father in-law and when I tell him to put it back I will find it a few inches to a few feet from where I put it.
Regards
Red
GinaFowler (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-26)
Tweed - Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing the link to Miracles51031 story. I completely understand why that story came to mind.

Miracles51031 - Enjoyed reading about your soap mystery! Surely not one that's easily explained and doesn't make it any less of a mystery just because someone could actually break the soap! The 'freaky' part was why one piece was on the floor and the other remained in the same position...that's usually what the 'close minded' and 'ghost don't exist' people can't simply explain away!
GinaFowler (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-26)
BeagleMom: Your story is truly fascinating! I so enjoy reading other people's tales of paranormal and unexplained things... Most people will look at you like you're losing your mind when you share something like this. It's so nice to find a 'group' that not only believes what you say but can also share their freaky experiences as well. By the way, so glad that the pendant wasn't lost... Just transferred to a crazy place for a pendant to have 'wondered'.;)
GinaFowler (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-26)
[at] yomomma: Thank you! So glad that you found it interesting. I'll soon post another one and hopefully it will up within a few weeks or so.
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-26)
I enjoyed reading your story Gina! Reminds me of a strange occurrence I had about a diamond pendant. I had it on and was shopping for clothes. In and out of dressing rooms, up and down aisles, On the hunt for a nice dress. When I got home, I reached up to my neck chain, and the pendant was GONE! OMG I was so upset! Problem is, the chain was still securely around my neck! The pendants bale was cast into the piece. (White gold, no moving parts). I was so distressed about loosing the pendant because it was a 1st anniversary gift from my hubby, (who was deployed to Guam, he was an AirFforce B52 Pilot). How could it break off of the chain, and leave the chain intact?
I ran to a neighbors house to wail and cry about it, and while I was there, I was fiddling with the hem on my blouse. I could feel something hard stuck within the hem. I had to get a seam ripper to release it (because by then, I knew it was the pendant)! How in heavens name did my pendant pass through the metal of the chain, and lodge itself in a hem of a shirt that was machine hemmed with no gaps in the stitches?
One of those crazy things, like finding a doll in a red dress between the fitted sheet and the mattress!

❤ Mother of Beagles
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Hi GinaFowler! I enjoyed reading your story. Very interesting. Can't wait to read the next one.
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Ahhh okay, I understand you now, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Tweed - I thought about my soap experience too when I read this. Weird, just weird.
GinaFowler (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Allicatt: I do plan on sharing some more stories. So glad that you found this one interesting and hopefully my other memories won't disappoint.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Hi Gina,

This is perplexing and it reminds me of one of the mods submissions about a bar of soap. (Random I know) Well, I couldn't understand the how or why about the soap just like I can't this doll. Odd stuff. Here's some soap weirdness:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=11892

Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed this. 😊
GinaFowler (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Sanchez_92: You asked if I no longer had my doll... We both still have the dolls to this day. Her doll just happened to be on the bed with us that day because she carried hers around more than I did. My doll was in our bedroom. I'm still new to this site but I'm looking forward to reading your stories!
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
This sounds like the occurrence I had in two of my stories.
I Have a question though. I'm not sure if you mentioned what happened with your doll. You said she had a red one and you had a blue but only mentioned her doll. Did you no longer have your doll or?
Allicatt (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
Definitely interesting, I really hope that you will share some more of the other things that happened in the house. If this is only the beginning the possibilities are endless of what could follow. Waiting hopefully, Alli

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: