You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Entity On The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

Entity On The Stairs

 

About three or four years ago, I was home alone as my parents were picking up dinner and my siblings were at college. I was on the ground level of our house on my laptop. I have my laptop set up in our living room so my back is to the wall. From here, I have a clear view of our kitchen, as we have a giant doorframe but no real door.

With my peripheral vision, I can see most of our drawing room and the bottom of the stairs. Again, there's a large doorframe but no door. If you go down the stairs and go to your right, you'll be out of my vision until you enter the kitchen, due to the wall of the drawing room. When I'm on my laptop, no one can go up or down the stairs without me seeing their movement. We also have a lamp in the drawing room by the bottom of the stairs, so I can usually fully make out a person and identify them without having to turn my head.

On this night, I was browsing different sites as one of my cats, Velvet, was curled up on the cushion next to me. I started to hear some loud noises upstairs, but ignored it. I assumed that it was our other cat, Shadow, or that I was hearing wind hitting the house.

I thought I heard someone step down a few stairs and pause, but I ignored it. I assumed that I was either imagining it or it was Shadow. My cats are both terrified of people other than our immediate family and hide if anyone is in the house due to the people who fostered them being abusive. Since Velvet was resting next to me, I assumed everything was fine.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black outline go down the last few steps of the stairs. Usually with the lamp on, I would be able to see colors, but I could only make out black. At the exact same moment that I saw this, Velvet jumped up, faced the stairs, and started hissing as her fur stood up on end. The only time I've ever seen her do this was once when I was younger and home alone. Some man kept knocking on the door and my cat stayed between me and the door, hissing, until I told her to cut it out. Upon hearing my voice, the man ran away. This man robbed a house five houses down from us that night, as he knocked multiple times and broke in when he realized no one was home. (He was caught, which is how we know he knocked to ensure no one was home.)

I quickly turned my head towards the stairs, but only caught a glimpse of the black figure turning to the right. They were out of my view. Velvet stayed next to me, hissing. She seemed to be following something with her eyes - something that was headed towards the kitchen. I could hear footsteps on the wooden floor as they approached. But, right when someone should have walked out into the kitchen, the footsteps stopped. Velvet stopped hissing and immediately settled down. After a few minutes of complete silence and me gathering up my bravery, I searched the hallway and the rest of the house. No one was there.

Since this incident, Velvet has never acted up like this again. I told my parents about it, but they were pretty dismissive of it.

The weird thing was that some items had been moved around upstairs. And not little items, big items, like desks and a shelf full of supplies. They were all moved a foot or so away from where they normally are, which explains some of the sounds I heard. But, no one was in the house.

Seeing that I was only able to see black when I should have seen some color (and the blackness was all completely smooth with no bumps, not like someone was wearing a black shirt with a black mask), the sudden disappearance of the person, my cats reaction and the objects moved upstairs, I'm certain I saw a ghost. Judging by my cats' reaction, it wasn't a good spirit either. I've yet to see anything like this again. I do often hear someone walking up and down the stairs, but I do believe that this is a different entity. The other footsteps I hear sound like someone just normally walking up and down the stairs, while these were hesitant, almost as if they were trying to not be heard.

Other hauntings by NinjaPirateAssasin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NinjaPirateAssasin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheSkeptic (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-17)
Perhaps someone broke in (door was left unlocked when your parents left) and saw you were home and took off running. Call the cops if this ever happens as thinking it was a "ghost" when its really an intruder is a dangerous conception.
Loganberry (10 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-14)
I would also suggest writing down when these things happen. Try and find any pattern that could help you in determining the cause. I also agree that the age of your house could play a part in the noises you were hearing. As far as the items moved, I would think that it would raise an eyebrow or 5.
micasa (17 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-12)
It seems odd that your parents would dismiss your account of what you experienced when there were several items, some quite heavy, moved from their original positions. Didn't that raise an eyebrow or two?
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-08)
Jessicqqqq

I have to disagree with you about cats vs dogs. There was once some spirits in front of my house. Our dog Susie had all of her hackles up walked close to the ground as if ready to pounce and had a low growl. This is what alerted my mother who looked out the window and saw two couple in late 1800's to early 1900's dress. As one gentle man reached to open our front gate the whole group disappeared. Susie was not a big dog so she couldn't see them but she sure as heck sensed them. Neighbors had told my mother on other occassions about seeing people (ghosts) walk in front of our house and disappear in front of their eyes. The house was built in the 1950's,who knows what was there before then, nobody checked.

Tweed
I agree with you about the down voting unless somebody says something terrible to or about the O/P and their comment has been removed but nosy me reads the comment and if it it is really bad I down vote it also. Hmmm. I wonder if anybody on here has ever had -o Karma points. Just Kidding Mods

Regards
Red.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-08)
oh gawd, am I the only member here who laughs at downvoting? I'm so immature.

Jessiqqq, that wasn't me who downvoted you, but I have a question about your dogs and cats comment. Where did you hear that and what is the reasoning behind it?
I'd never heard of the difference between cats and dogs with paranormal matters. Believe it's more of a psychic thing than a species thing.
Just curious, thanks.
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
-2
8 years ago (2016-10-07)
The difference between cats and dogs is that cats can tell the difference between good and bad spirits. Dogs can only see them so they assume all are bad. Everything sounds accurate about it being a ghost though.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-02)
Thank goodness for the cat! If it was hissing at the hesitant shadow, but not at the popping stairs or moved furniture, I would suggest they are two (or more) different things going on.

Which culture traditionally kept cats to scare off ghosts? Can't remember, but that seems to be what happened here. Kitty probably scared off a shadow person or something, especially if it was a one time thing.

'Feelings' I suggest ignoring, to murky. I would pay attention to what the cat is doing instead, kitty seems pretty consistent.

It's not unheard of for folks to revisit relatives after passing, but eh. If you aren't convinced, neither am I.

As for the moving furniture, if you DON'T move it back, does it keep moving? Does it have a destination or is it just random? Is it being moved off a rug or away from a particular wall?

I'm not suggesting treasure, but something could be behind the wall or under the carpet maybe. Seems weird to have a spirit hanging around for the soul purpose of redecorating.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-29)
NPA,

Question for you... How old is your house?

I ask because the difference in the footsteps may, just may have a natural cause and this is a good example as to why a Journal is a good thing.

The 'normal' sounding footsteps... How long after someone has gone up or down the stairs do they happen? Or do they happen when nobody has used the stairs with-in 15-20 minutes of hearing them? I ask because its not out of the question that the steps you hear is the wood of the steps 'popping/settling' back into place after having weight put on them. The age of the home and humidity levels may play a factor in the 'timing' of these 'steps'.

As far as the shadow and the footsteps you heard along with it... Again a good Journal could help determine the 'nature' of any possible spirits/entities...not to forget just how did it make you 'feel'. I do not refer to the 'scared because that was 'different' feeling... I mean did you 'feel' anything emotional wise from or about the 'shadow'?

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
brettscharff (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-28)
Hi Ninja,

While reading the part about the moving furniture, it makes me think that maybe this entity was someone who lived in the house before or on the land before. Maybe they were searching for something they'd left behind that was valuable to them. Did it feel malevolent, or was it more of just there doing it's own thing? Also, due to its loud banging upstairs and then quiet footsteps, it makes me wonder if it didn't really know you were there where you could see it. Maybe it knew there was an energy besides itself in the home, but didn't know you were at the bottom of the stairs, so it was taking it easy trying to sneak a peak. Who knows! But very intriguing.
NinjaPirateAssasin (9 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-09-27)
Tweed,

Thanks for reading and the comment! 😊

This happened a few years ago but I don't recall any chaos going on during that time period. It's possible that there was some minor stress or tension I've forgotten about. I've never seen or heard anything that has made me think this entity has returned since then.

You asking about the chaos did make me recall though that my grandfather had passed away that summer. I only met him once but he was known for avoiding people and making any sort of sound. My mother was in the kitchen when she found out about his death and the footsteps stopped right before entering the kitchen. But, I don't believe any of the rooms with moved furniture had any of the items that we got from him in them. And my mom and him were far from close so him visiting us like that doesn't really make sense. So some parts seem to fit and others don't, but maybe I'm just stretching things as I try to find an explanation!

It is possible the entity knew I was downstairs listening, I hadn't thought of that before! That does make it seem a bit creepier though! I do wish that there was some hidden treasure behind the furniture, it would help with paying student loans! 😆

Yeah, definitely! I'm very thankful for her and have often wondered what would have happened to young, naive me if my cat hadn't been around or acted like that!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-09-26)
Hi NinjaPirate,

Thanks for sharing this and well done for determining the difference in the footsteps!

Ghosts who move furniture around have pinged my radar since I experienced this earlier this year at my mother's house. A heck of a lot of chaos there at the time. Which makes me want to ask if there's any chaos in your home at the moment? Or any 'chaos' surrounding the rooms where the furniture was moved? Perhaps someone who uses these rooms frequently.

Like yours at her place furniture was moved away from the walls. One heavy armchair was constantly shifting away from the wall about 8" or so. Would hear it happening just about every night it felt like, but never actually saw it happen. Very, very odd.

I wonder if yours knew you were downstairs listening, the cautious footsteps indicate 'it' knew. Argh, things like this raise more questions than answers! Maybe yours thought there was hidden treasure behind big furniture!😆

Bless your cat by the way. That robber gave me the heeby jeebies. 😭

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: