You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: I Hated that House

Real Ghost Stories

I Hated that House

 

I've long given up on trying to deny the fact that my family seems to be haunted. Not our houses, not the cities in which we live, us. But this was the worst thing I had ever encountered. Back in fall 2001, my sister, mother, father, and I had just moved to Cumberland Gap in Tennessee. We lived in this really old white house. It had plants growing all over the place and the paint was all chipping, but aside from that it was a beautiful house. It was old fashioned and had two stories. There was a door coming out of the upstairs hallway that you could open and go out onto the hill outside. The house was completely infested with fleas, but we needed a place to live and we could afford it, so we just kept the air conditioner running as high as it could get and they didn't seem to bite as much.

The first day my sister and I were there, we had just come back from vacation with my grandparents, and our cat had had kittens. They had all died, but we just figured they crawled a bit and just didn't make it after that. It didn't seem odd at all that they were spread out across the house, but thinking about it now it kind of is. We were there a couple of days and my sister and I started school. It was a very small school, but our cousins went there too, so it didn't seem as hard. When I say small, I don't mean only a few teachers. There weren't classrooms. You know those wall type thingy pieces that are on wheels and you move around? The walls of "classrooms" were those. I could not find my way around at all unless I followed my classmates closely.

Again, I didn't think much at first that kids started whispering when the bus stopped at our house and it's probably nothing, but if they knew how creepy this place was, it would have been nice for a warning. My sister and I slept in our room a total of five nights in that house. Our room had a very creepy feeling to it and I just didn't like it at all. My sister, who is one of the bravest people I know, didn't like it either. We started sleeping in the living room, her on the couch and me on the floor. I had horrible nightmares every night in that house. There was a hole in the living room floor big enough for you to sink into if you stepped in it. I remember one night I was so scared, for some reason I can't remember, that I ran to my parents room and didn't even ask before I climbed into bed with them. I noticed that their room felt weird too.

Have you ever been in a very dark room and after a while, it looks like television fuzz looking at the wall or ceiling? I'm hoping it was that, but that night I could have sworn I saw little people crawling around.

I absolutely hate that house. We moved fairly quickly because my parents were getting bad feelings, too, and my dad is not the kind of person to believe in anything remotely ghost-like. Do you think it was haunted or are we just paranoid?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WinterG, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

woozle (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
in your story you said there was fleas in the house? Kittens are very weak when born could there deaths not be realated to fleas, my cats litter was killed by fleas a few years back.

Just a suggestion.
Keep safe.
WinterG (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
Thank you thank you thank you. The thought of that house always kind of creeped me out and it really does make sense that it's my imagination and the fact that the house was old and where it was situated in the mountains that creeped me out. But with the kittens, the tomcat was nowhere around. He was back in Kentucky, where my parents had moved from before we joined them. It might have been the mother, being in a new house and all, but I really don't know. I'm going to do more research on it. Thank you again for calming me.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
The comment section holds a lot of valid thoughts on this one. Just from what you have supplied us with, WinterG, it would appear that the house AND your family are not haunted. It just looks like a handful of "creepy" occurrences that unfortunately you have all had to live through. The kittens dying, though tragic, really could have been killed by the Tom cat and old houses just sometimes feel creepy. I do not know about the fuzzy snow like view of the room, though. But I have stared at the photo's on a dimly lit rooms walls until it looked like the people in the pictures were mouthing words, and the wall surrounding it did look fuzzy. So, I do not know on that part. I'm glad that since you were all so uncomfortable there that you were afforded the opportunity to move out. Thank you for your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-30)
It is possible and probable that the house had negative energy to it, but aside from that I couldn't say it had any paranormal activity unless there were occurances you have not mentioned. At the time in life your family was living there, that could have had an effect on the feelings and energy in the home.

I am glad your family was able to move on because whether or not it had paranormal activity, it is obvious your family was uncomfortable and not happy, that is really the main issue.

Thank you for sharing!
God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
FRAWIN, you said exactly what I was thinking about the dead kittens. Tom cats kill them all the time and some times even eat them. Could explain why they were all in different locations.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Hello WinterG,
I think that mustang is probably right. A lot of old houses can give you the creeps and get the reputation as being haunted. As for the kittens dying, it could have been the tom cat that killed them because that does happen. We had a tomcat that killed a bunch of kittens once and let's just say that my older brother put that cat out of his misery. Thanks for the story, I enjoyed it.

Be Safe and God Bless
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-27)
your right it is like television fuzz its horrible because somtimes in winter I get up and its realy dark and allover my room looks fuzzy but it because your tired I would not like to be in that type of house bye ❤ 😊 😉
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Hi WinterG. Since you didn't mention anything about seeing or hearing any ghosts or paranormal activity, besides the kittens and the creepy feeling, someone could say that you had an over active imagination. However, I think that the house probably needed a good 'cleansing' to remove all the negative energy that someone or some thing left behind. Was the house old? Old houses can creep you out from just looking at it! Like I said, I think it had a lot of negative energy that needed a good cleansing. Thanks for sharing your story.~Shelby ❤ 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: