You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Not Sure What I Saw The Night My Mother Passed

Real Ghost Stories

Not Sure What I Saw The Night My Mother Passed

 

My mother passed around 1:30 am on August 25, 2011 after a very long illness that had left her bedridden for her last 2 - 3 years of life. As soon as my father called I went right over to support him & see my mother. Although I had seen her just 6 hours before, very sick but still alive.

Later that morning, I suppose around 5:00am or 5:30am, that time of the morning when the sun is not officially up and you can't see color yet, but you can see, I was out on the front porch crying & chain smoking when I see across the street, there is a man in the neighbor's little rose garden. Seeing someone at that time of the morning wasn't too unusual; paper deliveries, joggers, early AM dog walking, etc., but what was very unusual and baffling to me is the man was completely solid black. I could see total definition of his body, it looked fit, slightly muscular legs but I could not make out any facial features. It was almost like watching a solid shadow, a paper cut out, a silhouette or a person dressed in a body suit like what surfers and divers wear.

The other strange part was his movements. He was slightly hunched over and making long thought full steps as those he were tiptoeing around trying to avoid stepping on something.

I was able to watch this for what a good minute before he rather quickly faded out. Not really sure if it was even that long but it was definitely not a quick flash or something caught out of the corner of my eye. I saw him dead on.

This is what I do know about our neighborhood. Our street (and a few over) was the last farm remaining until around 1956 maybe even a few years later for this particular parcel. It's a fairly large development. The homeowners are originally from India and are practicing Hindus. They are the second owners of that house. The original owners were rumored to be an odd family, but no one really ever said why. I was told that by neighborhood kids when we moved here when I was 15. They moved out a year or two after we arrived in 1974 or 75. I don't know if any of that information is relevant but it's what I know for certain.

So what did I see? Was it relevant to my mother's passing? At the moment I was watching him the word "Jinn" came to mind. I've looked it up and it doesn't seem to fit, based on what little I do know about their religion & culture. I didn't feel afraid; it was more of "what the heck am I looking at?" I still wonder and I've never seen it since. Thank you for reading. Any assistance provided is most appreciated.

Other hauntings by OCGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, OCGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
Hi OCGirl,

Sounds like you saw a shadow figure of some type. I've seen them before. Like you, I had a strange experience, after my father passed away. I thought I saw a man, who looked my father, standing on a street corner, as my family drove by in a car. Nobody else seemed to notice him except me.

I believe we are susceptible to those types of experiences when someone close to us passes. Maybe we have a greater ability to detect spirits at those times in our lives.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-24)
OCGirl

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. It's always painful to lose a loved one.

I am not sure what you saw but I too am curious why you thought of a Jinn especially since you live in California. My thoughts would go straight to Shaman especially with how much care he was taking in the garden.

Regards and hugs to you
Red
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-23)
When someone is in deep emotional distress, such as when someone they love dies, it attracts spirits and can actually cause portals to open. I can't say what you saw, but it seems it was transitory and harmless.
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-21)
Hi Loganberry:

My mother's physical body had already left a few hours prior to the mortuary. The only thing that I could possibly consider familiar was the way he stepped. It made me think of someone walking barefoot trying to avoid legos scattered about the floor. Also, the shape seemed masculine by the build. But all in all is was nothing I've ever seen before & I've seen some things over my lifetime.
Loganberry (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-20)
Perhaps it was someone there to take your mother home, and they came across in a way that wouldn't be odd (entirely black, yes. In the garden? No). Was there anything about it that seemed familiar to you?
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-19)
Thank you for your kind words, Valkricry & Radish54. It was hard to lose her but also a relief because she had been so sick. Sometimes I think she pops in for a brief moment. ❤

Still super curious about that figure!

Thanks again.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2016-10-19)
OCGirl,
It's never easy loosing a parent, no matter our age. Hugs to you.
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-19)
Not sure what you saw, might well have been a jinn. However a connection with Hindu neighbors would be odd, as jinn are an Arabian, later Islamic tradition. Anyway, very interesting that you were able to study it for a long period.

Condolences on the loss of your Mother.
BrokenTree (76 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-18)
You were in a highly emotional state at the time so I think you may have seen a deceased neighbor.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: