You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Best Friends Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Best Friends Ghost

 

Let me start off by saying I am not particularly a scaredy cat however, when it comes to my best friends old house I now turn in to a clinger who can't step foot in the basement without another human being by my side. Back in middle school my friend Christina invited some friends over to play with her ouija board her parents had just gotten her. They all sat down in a dark room in the house and claim to have had a spirit contact them through the board. She claims that she had not experienced anything after that, until I started coming around.

Fast forward to our first year of college. At this point Christina and I were hanging out all the time we were practically sisters with me spending so much time over there. Christina had just moved her bedroom into her finished basement. She had her own living room complete with pool table, off to the right was her bedroom door and a little further to the right was a concrete hallway leading to the bathroom. My first unnatural experience I had in her house was one night during the winter months. We had a few friends over to watch movies and order in chinese food when we ended up being snowed in. By the time everyone should have been going home it had snowed so much that we all decided to just stay the night. Everyone ended up sleeping in the basement with the girls in Christina's room and the boys in the basement living room on the couch.

I was sleeping on the oversized bean bag a good 15ft away from her bed when I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. The only light in the room coming from the alarm clock. I looked over to see a dark figure who I thought was Christina standing at the foot of her bed. She was just standing there doing nothing. Not wanting to wake anyone else I whispered, "Christina what are you doing?". She seemed not to hear me so I said her name again. Still nothing. I then glanced further up at her bed and saw that she was laying in bed fast asleep. I looked back at the the foot of the bed only to see the figure drop into the floor. At this point I must have screamed and hid under the blankets. I smushed my face into the beanbag and covered my ears with my hands. At this point I woke up one of the boys and Christina with my shriek and my muffled sobbing under the blankets. According to them the next day they tried saying my name to get my attention to see what was wrong but with the blankets and my hands covering my head I managed not to hear them.

A couple months later we were throwing a birthday for one of our friends at the house. Everyone was in and out of the basement and the backyard barbecuing and playing games. Everyone was happy and focused on food and friends. After I had downed a couple sodas I found myself needing to use the little girls room so I went inside and used the bathroom in the basement. When my business was done I was walking out of the basement hallway right where it emerges into the pool table living room when I saw Christina go in her bedroom. I didn't hear anyone talking so I figured what a good time to scare her. I quickly ran around the corner and jumped in to the room screaming "RAWR!" only to find that I was the only person in the room and Christina was nowhere to be found. By this point I was so freaked out I ran out of that room and back to my friends as quickly as possible. Turns out I was the only person even in the basement at that time with the rest of the group either outside or upstairs.

The bathroom in the basement was pretty creepy as well. Every time I went in the door always seemed to lock itself on me and I would get stuck in there. There were several times I would be screaming and banging on the door to get someones attention. The handle wouldn't let me turn it to open the door and I would even try throwing my body weight in the door to push it open to no avail. When someone finally would come to let me out the person on the other side would simply put their hand on the handle and turn the knob and it would open with no hesitation. Whether that is a faulty handle or what I do not know but I was the only person that it seemed to happen to. Who knows? About a year and a half ago Christina's family sold the house and moved out. I wonder if whatever is in that basement torments the new owners now or is just waiting for me to step foot in the house again.

Other hauntings by cheercat

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cheercat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cheercat (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-27)
I wanted to answer some questions but would first like to apologize. When trying to hit the "like" arrow on comments my phone kept acting up and clicking the red one! OOPS! Hopefully I have fixed it because I appreciate everyone's incite. Now, to those of you asking if I told the owners of the house and my friend about my experiences, yes I did. Christina is a very heavy sleeper and does not creep out easily so she never really noticed anything. However, several other people have came forward and said they didn't feel comfortable alone in the basement either.
The "door handle incident". I do believe that something could have been faulty with the handle. It was very old and probably installed improperly, I just find it very strange that with how many times people were in and out of there I was the only person to report being locked in.
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-25)
This is a really good story. I loved reading it. Now why would any parent (or person in general) buy a Ouija board? Especially for their own child? That sounds just wrong in all honesty. Not to bash them though. Did you tell your friend (s) what you saw and experienced those times?
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-23)
This is definitely going into my favorite stories.

I could actually imagine the figure standing at the end of your friends bed. What a creepy experience you went through. Have you ever asked Christina if she had any experience with this spirit at all? Did you ever tell your friends what you had seen or experienced the day of the snowed in night? If so let us know we would love to hear their side of this experience as well.

Best regards,

Sanchez
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-22)
Greetings, Cheerchat, and welcome to YGS.

I enjoyed reading your fast-paced narrative; you clearly described four distinct phenomena over an extended period in a short submission. (I often ramble a bit when I'm writing.)

As for the door handle, the only reason you would not be able to open it as you describe would be if it had the locking mechanism set into the center of the doorknob, but the entire door had been hung "backwards" leaving the lock on the outside of the door. Given your precise and cogent descriptions, I'm pretty certain you'd have noticed that. If a door doesn't open from the inside, but operates correctly from the outside, the inside handle is usually far more LOOSE, and failing to connect properly with the latching mechanism. I experienced this first hand by locking myself in the dining room while vacuuming my old apartment. The doorknob came off in my hand and, while I was trying to reattach it, I managed to push the majority of the mechanism *and* the other doorknob onto the living room floor; I had to wait for my wife to get back from a dentist's appointment to let me out.

I also have a couple of questions: Did your friend find the basement to be creepy, too, or was she just accustomed to it? I can understand setting up several rooms to be a small, self-contained apartment for a little more freedom as a teen, but did she acknowledge that there was a presence (or: were presences) which caused you concern/fear on a regular basis? Does she have a "don't bother me and I won't bother you" attitude to the otherworldly, or did she experience the entities as less intimidating/upsetting than you did? Speculative question: do you think that the experiences happened more to you because it/they saw you as an intruder in the predictable patterns of domestic life? (I spent just about every Friday night and Saturday at my best friend's house, too, so I know how it is to feel part of someone else's family; I'm just wondering if the supernatural element perceived you as a threat of some sort.)

Best,
Biblio.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-21)
Thank you for sharing. I think the entity is probably still in that house but I also know they can haunt "people" as well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: