You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Was I Asleep?

Real Ghost Stories

Was I Asleep?

 

During 2001 I was living in a two bedroom unit with my then partner. During this time he was doing night shift and I was working early mornings. These experiences happened over five nights. I would go to bed quiet early and my partner had already left for work, I would fall asleep and after a few hours I would hear the front door click and open. I would try to move and was unable to move anything. I would hear someone walk in and what sounded like getting undressed, I would then feel the bed sink as someone would get in and lay down beside me. Still not able to move but hear and feel everything I was thinking my partner had returned from work. When I was able to move a few moments later I would feel with my hands and find no one there. One of those nights it went through the same sequence but this time I felt an arm across my stomach. Able to move my arm I felt down and felt an arm and the hair like a mans. I rolled over and no one was there. On the last night I left my lamp on as I was beginning to get scared, this time I heard the door click and I started to reach for the lamp switch. I was in a dream like state and couldn't open my eyes properly. I don't know if I dreamt this or I was sleep walking and half awake but I got up thinking I had to get out of the unit because there was a bad presence. I was stumbling around trying to put on lights and made my way out onto the verandah. When I woke in the morning I was unsure if I had in fact been wandering around during the night or not. I really did feel real to me. I have had quiet a few strange experiences during my adult life which I will have to write about another time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mishell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Mishell (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-29)
One thing I do know is that for many years I had many odd things happen such as the tv turning on many times late at night and being as loud as it could be, ornamental pieces of an old clock flying up and out when talking about a passed relative, vcr turning onto high speed rewind when no one was around ect. After the sleep problems I spoke to one of my sisters and discussed if I could have anything in my home that could have bought into the house many years before when things started to happen. We spoke about the old clock but I had this before anything started, she then asked about a clairvoyant I had seen when in Darwin and if I had kept anything from her. I had kept a handwritten note and a stone that she had given me, the note was about my so called past life. She didn't like the idea of me keeping these so I put them in the bin. From that day on I never had any dreams or anything that appears supernatural.
Larvae (4 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-29)
I believe that it could be astral projection as I think it happens sometimes when you try too hard to move. If not then could be works of the mind including the sleep paralysis but am not sure if the sp you experienced is supernatural or not. You should try praying to the creator asking for protection if you have any belief in god that is. I found that it works for me I don't get sp when I pray.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-29)
Hi Mishell

Thanks for sharing. I found your story interesting as I have experienced an incident of terrifying sleep paralysis combined with an assault by an entity myself (one of my stories I have shared on this site), so I can relate.

I also found this aspect of your story very interesting:

"...I don't know if I dreamt this or I was sleep walking and half awake but I got up thinking I had to get out of the unit because there was a bad presence. I was stumbling around trying to put on lights and made my way out onto the verandah. When I woke in the morning I was unsure if I had in fact been wandering around during the night or not. I really did feel real to me..."

Many years ago living in Melbourne, I had a couple of nights of incredibly realistic lucid-dreaming experiences, which involved flying around. These experiences culminated with me one night finding myself walking through my flat, not sure if I was awake or not, just as you described. Everything appeared exactly as it should be but felt "different".

I walked into my flatmates room and saw his quilt glowing with an intense whiteness, almost internally lit. This freaked me out so I hurried back to my room. I don't recall entering my room but when I awoke in the morning I experienced an intense jolting feeling throughout my body.

In hindsight, I personally think I was astral travelling and had a genuine out of body experience. This could be what possibly happened to you?

Regards

Mack
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-28)
Hi Mishell--It sounds like you have had multiple sleep paralysis incidents. Most of what you described in your account is mentioned in the first couple of paragraphs of the sleep paralysis heading on wikepedia. It states, "Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which an individual, either during falling asleep or awakening, briefly experiences an inability to move, speak or react. It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations to which one is unable to react due to paralysis. These hallucinations often involve a person or supernatural creature suffocating or terrifying the individual..."

Furthermore, "Another common hallucination type involves intruders entering one's room or lurking outside one's window, accompanied by a feeling of dread." I have experienced sleep paralysis twice in my life and realize how real the feeling of a presence can seem. There are many, many reports of terrifying sleep paralysis incidents here on YGS. As you clicked the "I need help with what I have experienced" option, it might help to read these accounts and the accompanying comments.

Since you have experienced not just one but multiple reported aspects of sleep paralysis it seems likely that that is what you experienced. Of course, there could be a supernatural aspect to your experiences but from what you reported I think you can put yourself at ease. Simply repeating, just in your mind, several times before going to sleep that you only want, "good dreams, nice dreams, positive dreams, happy dreams", can not only fend off nightmares but sleep paralysis. At least this has been the case with me. After years of horrendous nightmares and a couple sleep paralysis incidents, repeating variations on the above mentioned mantra has done the trick for me. Welcome to YGS by the way!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: