You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Grave Yard Boy

Real Ghost Stories

The Grave Yard Boy

 

About 3 years ago, I was visiting my Great uncle's grave, I was leaving him his favorite flowers and an american flag. I stood there for a while, talking to his tombstone, hoping he would know I was still visiting. I had only met him once but I admired him and wouldn't forget him. A lot of people think he died in war, he didn't - only of natural causes.

It began to rain, I love the rain but still wanted a jacket since I was wearing a thin shirt. After about two minutes my shoulders were becoming visible through the shirt, suddenly feeling dry and warm, I looked up to see a boy smiling at me, he told me I would catch cold if I stood in rain like that, so I accepted his gesture.

After I had finished my visit, we walked back to the gate together, he offered to walk me back to my grandparents since he was afraid I would be hurt if I were walking alone.

After an hour of walking my mom drove up near us and motioned me to the car, she said she was just about to come and get me, I tried to give the boy his jacket back, he rejected me, waved goodbye and walked off, I entered the car and drove home with my mom.

The next day I was cleaning my clothes when I came across his jacket. I decided to wash it and return it to him, I checked the pockets of the jacket and found and address written on it. After washing it I headed to the street that was on the paper, only a one lane road and one house.

I knocked on the door, after a few seconds a woman opened the door, I smiled and told her that her son had loaned me his jacket last night and that I wanted to give it back to him. She broke out in tears and looked down at me enraged. She scolded me and thought I was mocking her, I told her I didn't know what she meant. She burst out crying even harder, she looked at me this time with happiness.

I was shocked at what she told me next, she said her son died a year ago yesterday and he couldn't possibly have given me his jacket, but what she said after that was even weirder, it was the jacket he wore the night he died. I ended up keeping the jacket and going back home to Cali, it's now my favorite jacket, occasionally I see the boy. He follows me around when I'm in Indiana, I've also gotten into more trouble after that, more near death experiences, and even when I was flying back to Indiana last week and our plane almost crashed, we were in Indiana air at the time and I was asleep when turbulence happened, I woke and next to me in the empty seat was the boy, his hand on mine, after a minute or so we regained altitude and everything was okay, after regaining altitude though, he was gone.

That night when I was using my mom's laptop in the basement while I watched my baby cousin Gerrit he appeared, he smiled and kissed my forehead and left again.

He always appears when I'm in indiana and places a hand on mine before disappearing, so tell me, do you think this ghost is just following me or something...

ps: I will keep posted on what happens in the future...

Other hauntings by twichie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, twichie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-14)
SnailBug,

She did mention she wanted a jacket and out of no where she felt dry and warm which is mentioned on paragraph 2 "suddenly feeling dry and warm, I looked up to see a boy smiling at me, he told me I would catch cold if I stood in rain like that, so I accepted his gesture." Meaning the boy had placed his jacket on her in order for her to feel that way.

Great story by the way twichie, Its definitely one of my favorites. Have you still been in contact with the boy?
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-28)
Old post but, I have to say, This is the song Laurie (Strange Things Happen) By Dickey Lee Only instead of a jacket a sweater is the loaned object and found draped over a tombstone
hauntedKim (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
he must've liked you because he keeps protecting you 😳 awwww... I want that kind of love story HAHAHAH kidding;)
SnailBug (61 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-01)
I've read this story before too... In several different places, books, websites, etc.

Just wanted to point out that your story is confusing at first, because in the 2nd paragraph you never say he offered you a jacket. I am guessing that is what he did since paragraph 5 states you wanted to return it. It might make it clearer to state that earlier, just so people aren't confused.
Lasieus (7 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
well, this sounds very much like a very popular urban legend. It has been around singapore and asia too.

usually the story tells about how one feels cold due to sudden rain or something and this lady comes along the road and lends him her jacket. He brings her home, realising that she forgot her jacket the next day. Goes back to where he dropped her off, goes up to the house, the mother answers (its always the mother... Wonder why) the door. Says that it cannot be her daughter and shows him a picture of the dead girl or even her gravestone... In the backyard no less ! O.O

sorry but this story really seems like an urban legend that had been going round and round and round and round and round...

stil, cheers~~
^^
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-03)
Actually, no, I do not think a ghost is following you. Here in Indiana, (sorry, I have yet to read the other comments, but will when I am done here) there are a lot of secluded country roads that travel along side cemeteries. I do a lot of traveling in my line of business and talk to quite a few of the locals in all of these towns I visit. A VERY popular pastime amongst the younger crowd is to tell that same story. In the more country areas shoes are lent, a shirt was given to one of the farmer boys who was on his way home from the fields and picked up someone. I have even heard the one of a young lady who was wearing a short mini-skirt and the young man she picked up just happened to have an extra pair of pants that fit her. Text books are left on seats, wallets, purses, lots of personal items with names and addresses. One story even tells of a map to a secluded home left behind. All of the stories explain that a year and one day ago___________ passed away. And the person who answers the door is generally the parent of the deceased child.
Maybe, just maybe, we here in Indiana have the more chivalrous types of ghosts. That is a possibility, however, even "Goosebumps" did a show on this phenomenon.
If this did truly happen to you, more power to you, dear. In such a widely publicised human interest story like this one, it will be hard for all of us to accept this one as an actual ghost story. Do you have a photo of the two of you while here in Indiana? Or even just a photo of himself in the jacket? Just suggesting ways to make this more believable, to us, as your true ghost story.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-03)
No defensive comments from Twitchie seems to suggest this poster knows their story is more fictional than a first-hand encounter. I do not know for sure, but usually when posters' credibility is questioned, the ones with the least compelling stories usually concede defeat by failing to respond. I will keep a lookout for Twitchie's refute.

Thanks for sharing, though.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
twichie, why aren't you replying to all of your comments? I agree with FRAWIN, sorry. It just seems contrived.
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-27)
wierd I went to a cemertery once an a little kid was shouting down how are you are you doing all right it was so funny
ghostlovr (2 stories) (54 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
This is a weird story. It seams almost like he comes when something bad is going to hapen. Its like he's saving you from stuff. Like has watching over you. I would say that when he was waling you home something bad was going to happen to you if he didn't walk you home. Thats just what I think.

❀

~~Amy~~
Sabrina12993 (2 stories) (56 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
😳...
I want more of this story... I enjoyed it! It was very intresting to read ❀...
god bless~
=]
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Hello there twichie,

I love your story, I honestly wish I had a lovely ghost taking care of me. But I do agree at the fact that it sounds like a legend... The only difference is that I believe your story.
I only have one question...Isn't weird that after you started to see the boy you begin to have near death experiences... Ummm I don't know if you should worried or not but please let us know if you have more of this encounters ok! Take care! ❀
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
I also have to agree with everyone else on this one. I screams urban legend. But, I do like the different way you told it.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
+4
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
My Goodness! This one I have heard even in Central America. If you are interested in the Paranormal or such read the real stories and don't write about stuff that has not happened to you because believe me people that have had an experience will know that you are bluffing!
😠
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
hmmmmm, seems like I too have heard this story before. How often are you in Indiana?

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Hi twichie. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the others on this one. It DOES sound like an urban legend. I also have heard this story many times, except for the gender, it was a girl. However, if this honestly did happen to you, I think that it is pretty strange. I don't know how I would feel wearing a jacket that belonged to someone who died in it. πŸ€”~Shelby
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
I think Kat and FRAWIN are on the mark by recognizing the universality of twichie's story. Twichie's experience is strikingly similiar to an urban legend form known as "The Vanishing Hitchhiker". Folkorist Jan Harold Brunvand published "The Vanishing Hitchhicker" (1981) and documents the origin and transformation of these urban legends beginning in the late nineteenth century. Typically, a single man gives a ride to a young, single woman either late at night or during bad weather. She disappears before he can arrive at her address. The driver visits the home and either describes the ghost or sees a photograph whereupon he learns that she is dead. Typically, the ghost leaves an article of clothing, book, etc behind. Twichie's story deviates only slightly from the classic account in that the apparation of the boy did not vanish in the automobile and that the gender roles are reversed. Otherwise, twichie's experience conforms to the norm of these urban legends. The most famous version of the vanishing hitchhiker is Resurrection Mary in Chicago. Wikipedia has entries for Resurrection Mary as well as Vanishing Hitchhiker.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Hi twichie,
First let me say that I enjoyed your story, even though it shouted "urban legend", you gave it a nice twist on the end. I guess the reason that I`m having such a hard time believing this story is that I`m fifty-three years old and have had paranormal experiences all my life but I have never had a ghost give me his jacket, walk me home and kiss me bye. Who knows maybe you`re right and I`m just jealous.

Be Safe and God Bless πŸ˜‰
Kat (2 stories) (30 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
This story has been told allover the world, only sometimes it deviates slightly, sometimes the deceased is a girl. I have heard the version where the boy who died, did so in a motorbike accident, and others the coat is returned back to the grave of the deceased. Its a classic ghost story, I have read it in many books.
LiB (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Well I think that he is actullay watching you and helping you...
Thats weird wearing a ghosts jaket... 😁 😲 Well watta lovely storie can't wait for more! ❀

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: