You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Is This Paranormal / Ghostly Activity?

Real Ghost Stories

Is This Paranormal / Ghostly Activity?

 

This is my first story here and I hope it makes sense. It will probably be a bit rambly but I'll do my best to cover the basics and not rant too much.

It's also perhaps worth disclosing that as a child I used to sleepwalk and still now I experience sleep paralysis on a regular basis, although I don't know how much the latter has to do with any paranormal activity.

Growing up, I've experienced a few ghostly phenomenon from time to time. For example, I used to see the shadow of what I believed to be a man sitting at the foot of the bed whenever I stayed at my nan and grandad's. This happening every night I stayed there without fail, and I did mention it to my grandad once but I don't think he ever believed me. As this was only a yearly visit because they lived so far away, I never thought much of it, although as a child it was a bit unsettling.

I've also done a few ghost hunts/tours/walks, many times of which I've experienced something, mostly mild like something brushing my back/hands but no one being near me or a strange coldness, but at the same time much of this could be explained by me looking for something or just heightened senses of the group playing off one another.

I lived with my mother until I was 18, and in that time witnessed a few things. I was a very timid child and shared a room/bed with my mum up until I was about 14/15. My mum would always come to bed around 11ish, and not long after she did, we would both hear footsteps coming up the stairs. It sounded like they would pause on the landing, there would be a few more as if they were turning to come up towards the bedrooms and then that was it. They would end as quickly as they had started. This happened a few times, and always when my mum had come to bed. She heard them too, but I don't remember it happening much after I started to sleep on my own. In addition to that, I still swear to this day I seen an old woman sitting in the living room when I passed by the door once. That was the only time I ever seen anything in the the house, but there were noises here and there that sometimes freaked me out. The house was about 30-40 years old, and we were the first family to live in it.

So fast forward a 8 years. I'm 26 now, and living on my own with my boyfriend and my dog in a flat that used to be an old mill. Nothing particularly creepy had happened until now, but the things that are happening seem to be getting steadily more attention seeking, maybe?

The starting point was one night, around 4am, my partner's laptop began playing music. I have an open plan living room/kitchen, and it was sitting on the island that separates the two rooms. It wasn't connected to any mains, and my boyfriend swears he turned it off. We jumped up and turned it off at the time, obviously, and went back to sleep, not thinking too much about it because that on its own is fairly explainable. The second thing to happen was when my boyfriend went away for the weekend. It was around 9pm I was sitting in my bed, and I heard a bang from elsewhere in the house. My dog went mental at this, and she normally doesn't react to noise, so I went to investigate in case something had fallen over. Upon finding nothing, I went back to my room, only to find all the lights and the TV off. I definitely didn't do this and of course, being on my own, I was pretty scared. Nothing happened for a few weeks after that, aside from things being in places I don't remember moving them to (but that could have been my partner's doing) and hearing some bangs and knocks that had no reason behind them. The third thing, and probably the creepiest, was actually seeing a movement. If I am lying in bed, I can see directly into the bathroom if both doors are open. There is a wall mirror above the toilet/sink, and my boyfriend and I both witnessed a figure moving past the mirror and out into the hallway, and down as if going towards the living room. I shut the bedroom door at that point and since then haven't seen anything. The last thing to happen was two days ago. I dry my clothes in my spare room, which is next to the living room, mostly because it's the only space where a clothes line won't get in the way. I walked past to go to get a drink and ALL the clothes that were drying were on the floor, as well as the clothes line. I have a tiny dog who probably isn't capable of pulling the whole clothes line down without me hearing, but again, I feel like it's worth trying to explain these things organically rather than assuming straight away there's some sort of presence. As well as this, when I walked into the living room, my spice rack was empty and all of the herbs normally in them were on the floor. Again, I didn't hear any of this happen.

I'm not sure if anything that has happened in my past is directly linked but I wanted to mention it in case there's any explanations that those might tie in to. Thanks to anyone that's read and will offer advice, it's all appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cristinpls, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-30)
Thanks for considering my suggestions, cristinpls.

I think that the camera is a great idea. If there is an electrical field affecting your sleep, then all you're going to see is you. You'll be behaving oddly in the dark, granted, but it will be you. Telling a doctor about this to see if a simple nocturnal sleep-aid would help (even an over-the-counter one without a prescription) would be the next step.

On the other hand, if there is a supernatural element to the phenomena, none of the actions seems particularly violent or dangerous: 1) playing music; 2) shutting off devices which were not in use; 3) knocking; 4) walking past the doorway; and 5) dropping laundry on the floor. These may all have been pranks or attempts to get your attention; if there is a spirit doing this, he or she simply may be trapped in your flat (or more than one flat). You may want to try helping such a lost individual move on to the peace and happiness of the afterlife, and there are several members of this forum who are better-equipped than I to give you pointers on this process. Instead of being frightened that there may be a ghost haunting your flat, you'd be doing a good deed for him/her. That's a positive outcome for both of you.

There is a very slim chance that the behaviours you've described represent an escalation of activities by an unhappy spirit. If this is the case, I recommend using the cleansing method devised by Rookdygin, a long-established contributor to YGS. He was a practicing witch, and he is now a certified minister in his wife's church, so he has a great range of data from which he created his ritual. It doesn't conflict with any religious practices (to the best of my knowledge), and it can also be used by agnostics & atheists. Use this link (www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155) and scan 1/3 of the way down the "About Me" section to "Rook's Cleansing and Shielding Method (as used by myself and many other members of this site)..." Rook's cleansing is designed to move unhappy, evil, and malicious spirits out, whether they like it or not; because of this, he does recommend repeating the cleansing, just to strengthen the barriers/boundaries of the home. I'm telling you all of this JUST IN CASE the worst-case scenario (which is the source of your fear) is revealed by your camera.

Best of luck with finding out what is really happening, so you won't have to live in fear of what may or may not happen next. Please let us know what you discover, so that other commenters may provide useful information to support you.

Biblio.
cristinpls (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-30)
Thank you for the warm welcome and also for the advice!

To answer your question, we both seen it at the same time, and describe it the same way, however my partner is very closed off to the idea that anything paranormal as been happening and doesn't think it was anything other than our own imaginations.

We live in a small village outside a bigger city. There are no power stations here, and as far as I'm aware there's never been any, but there are pylons in a field very nearby, slightly outside the village. There's also a train line that runs behind the flat complex, I wonder if electricity from this could cause the same thing?

I'm tempted to set up a camera to see if it's myself doing these things whilst I'm asleep but I'm also a little scared of seeing something I don't want to!

Thanks again!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-30)
Greetings, Cristinpls, and welcome to YGS.

I have a question about your statement, "my boyfriend and I both witnessed a figure moving past the mirror and out into the hallway, and down as if going towards the living room. I shut the bedroom door at that point and since then haven't seen anything." Did you see the figure at the same time, or have you each seen a figure behaving in a similar manner at different times? I think, from the phrasing, that you mean that you simultaneously witnessed the movement. If this is so, and you were not affected by any medication or impairment which would facilitate "folie à deux" --a shared delusion or psychosis-- then you don't need us to answer the question in your title.

On the other hand, are there any large power stations or substations nearby? Is there a lot of unshielded wiring in your converted mill flat? Highly-charged electrical current can affect the human brain, such as inducing paranoia or causing sleepwalkers to behave erratically. I watched an English documentary about a decade ago, and the attempt to discover the cause of poltergeist phenomena in a home revealed that the sleepwalking dad was taking shoes from the hall closet and arranging them on floor, single-file, from the stairs down the hallway toward the kitchen. He was being affected by electrical fields because a row of massive pylons was adjacent to the property.

Just a few ideas to consider; I do hope they're helpful in ruling out mundane explanations.
Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: