You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: My Kids And The Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Kids And The Ghost

 

Its been awhile since I wrote a story, mostly because I was so busy with life and having two little kids running around the house. I've had experiences with spirits all my life, so has my mother, and other members of my family. I did some research into this and I probably have some empath abilities, and probably some other abilities, I just can't put my finger on them all, nor have I developed them, and I don't begin to know where to begin with this. In any regard, I posted a bunch of stories about my house and the experiences I have been having there in the past. Because things got so busy in the house, I stopped paying attention to the various events. I have two kids, a 4.5 year old and a 2.5 year old, now, and a non believer wife, at least she doesn't want to admit to it. I had the house blessed at least 3 times, blessed it myself, with improvement in the activity each time, to the point there is just a level of baseline activity that is tolerable, such as seeing things in the corner of your eye, the feeling of being watched, and it happens in waves.

What prompted me to write this, is that I wanted to see if anyone ever had experience with this and the activity is starting to get stranger.

A few months ago, my dog, Reggie, a 150 lb rottweiler, who was as sweet as could be, and 7 years old got very sick at my parents house. He was 7 years old, and it appears my parent's neighbor poisoned him. He got so sick that he couldn't move, the vet diagnosed him with diabetes and pancreatitis at first. He didn't improve with treatment, and I had to put him to sleep. Prior to this, I got a tox screen on him and found he had high levels of arsenic and antifreeze in him. I can't even express how bad this has been for me, and worst off, I don't have proof the neighbor did it. Anyways, when Reggie was sick, my kids said they saw him walking around the house (he wasn't at our house at that time), my oldest son was convinced there was a black dog hiding in the closet in the sunroom of our house. He took me there, I couldn't see anything, but I did feel like I was being watched and did feel a presence. I did not acknowledge this. I asked him if it was Reggie, he said no, just a black dog. Another time, he saw Reggie in our TV room, and said it was Reggie, so the 'black dog' freaked me out because he can tell the difference between Reggie the rottweiler and a black dog. Also, the black dog was in the sunroom. My other son claims to also have seen the black dog. This happens on occasion, and there hasn't been a black dog sighting for a few months.

Fast forward to the past few weeks. Out of nowhere, this putrid smell started to come out of the sunroom. The smell was that of rotting flesh, its happened before and disappeared, this time it was in your face. It was so strong, you would gag in the room. I looked all around couldn't find a source of the smell, looked outside, nothing, looked up in the rafters, nothing. I'm a physician, and I know how rotting flesh smells like, and this is flesh that is right in your face, so something was big and dead, or it was right there. Oddly enough the smell would move from one corner of the room to another. As mysteriously as the smell came on, after a day or so, it disappeared. I've had this happen at my house before, and we couldn't explain it. We also have smelled the smell of incense that was used in the blessing in various areas around there, almost as being mocked. The strange thing is that my kids can play there when the smell is around and not be bothered one bit, and they don't smell it, only my wife and I.

What bothers me even more now, is that my mother, who is with the boys while my wife and I are at work was bringing my kids home from the library, and my oldest said, I don't want to go home, its haunted. My little one replied, yes, its a demon. I have never talked to my kids about anything paranormal going on in the house, have never used the term haunted or demon around them. I don't even watch paranormal shows with them around, and I don't know how they came up with this. My 2.5 year old keeps joking and saying we are going to die over and over as well. Now this kid is not afraid of anything. My oldest son has some issues with speech and sensory issues, small noises scare him, he's easily scared, has a bit of a speech delay, otherwise is a normal kid. The kids don't act out, they don't interact with anyone who is or isn't there. What I have noticed is that my wife and I fight a lot lately, and its usually over stupid things. Come home from work and stupid things are said, or there is a feeling of hopelessness, in that this is the same ole routine day after day. I know some of it is just the parenting blues and being tired, but this is all happening when my kids are talking about this haunting and a demon.

In terms of what I've seen or experienced, I've had some really vivid and strange dreams, ranging from being lost in a field I've been at before, to things I can't remember but wake up remembering them. I occasionally see shadows in the corner of my eye, and sometimes, orbs or shadows right in front of me. I've sat in the sunroom by myself and kind of spaced out, I wouldn't call it formal meditation, I had this weird feeling or thought in my head that popped up that people were playing with a quija board in the sunroom at one time. Again, it was just a weird thought, and I'm not sure what that means or if I should trust this.

I'm not quite sure what I should do, part of me wants to invest in some emf detectors and investigate this, another part wants me to try another blessing. What frightens me is that my kids see this and kind of know something is going on.

Other hauntings by mark

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mark, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Spiritual_Paganist (15 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Hmm...yes your kids are very young, its not unusual at all for them to learn a word you have never told them before. Most kids at this age are very open to recieving energies, because there bodies are more clear and sensitive. The smell is most likely the case of a negitive entity, not a demon but a negitive entity that has bad vibes with strong radiating energy that can give off a odur. The black dog, have you looked at the house history, has your house had previous owners? It doesn't need to be (old) like 100+ years. Recommendations is get a cleansing done, white energy is very good for this also insense to ward off the spirit, the whit energy will do as a barrier, or use blue fire energy, very good for taking away negitive energy. Hope everything goes well for you
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-11)
Greetings, Mark.

The sightings of the black dog and the smell of decay don't occur at the same time, do they? I'm leaning towards Tweed's "black shuck" theory, too, as guardian/gatekeeper spirits tend to be a little intimidating or disconcerting, but not scary.

My concern is the smell. That smell could indicate one of three potential causes (a malicious spirit; an angry elemental; a demon) which spring to mind. The fact that the blessings have reduced activity in the past, but have not stopped it completely, would suggest that a more definitive cleansing ritual needs to take place to force it out of your home. I was thinking "demon?" as I read your 4th paragraph, but your kids' stating "demon" to your mother is a little more peculiar; have you asked them where they got this idea from? If it was from the source of the smell, then I'd suggest that it most likely is NOT demonic, but an unpleasant spirit who wishes to inspire as much fear as possible; on the other hand, if your kids got this information from the black dog about the smell in the room, then I'd take their statements far more seriously.

Blessings have worked in the past, but this appears to warrant a more concerted effort to remove the entity from your home.

Best,
Biblio.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2016-11-11)
Hi Mark,

I totally agree with Tweed and val. You should do a cleansing/shielding on your house and if your wife doesn't want to do it with you have her take the kids out for the afternoon.

I hope your parents neighbors didn't poison your dog but as a physician you know that a combination of antifreeze and arsenic in high levels is an intent to kill. All I have to say is thank God your kids didn't get into that cocktail, not that it would be that easy but at their ages you never know.
I am so sorry for the loss of your much loved dog.

As far as you and your wife arguing, I don't think that any spirit caused it but it may have caused it to escalate. A malevolent spirit takes great joy in doing this as it feeds off of the negative energy. My suggestion is that if you and your wife start having arguments over stupid things both of you leave the house and see if there is a difference. My guess is there will be. You can tell this spirit that it is your house and it is not welcome and it has to leave.

Another suggestion is if you have a Welcome mat either turn it around so you see Welcome as you are leaving or throw it out and get just a plain mat. My most humorous mat was the Tazmanian Devil with the caption saying GO AWAY.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Regards
Red
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-11)
Mark,
I'm curious as to whether you've ever dug into the history of the house? I live in Illinois too, and I've found most towns have at least one historian and a couple of good gossipers. I bring up the gossips, because they will tell you things that you won't find in any newspaper. Of course you'll need to weed the facts from fiction, but they do provide a starting point, like names and sometimes even dates.
I agree with Tweed that your kids may have picked up those words from TV or even other kids. Maybe you should just ask them why they think the house is haunted?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-11)
Hi Mark,

Some of what you've shared reminds me of something I went through last year, not nice. The smell of rotting flesh was part of it. The smell came and went for me too, with nothing to account for it.

With regard to your kids using words like 'haunted' and 'demon', there's a good chance they picked this up from other kids and cartoons. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The other black dog I can also relate to, but I feel this is something along the lines of 'black shuck', a protective entity. A 'good guy' drawn in or called to action by a negative presence or atmosphere.

My word am I sorry to hear about your dog. Ergh, to think it was those neighbours, I dearly hope it wasn't.
I'm glad your kids are seeing your dog around, that sounds like a good thing. I've a feeling the other black dog is somewhat of a good presence for your rottweiler too.

You and your wife arguing sounds like something a negative presence would capitalise on. Perhaps not the actual cause of your arguments, but it could exasperate them by maintaining a crappy atmosphere.

I hope I'm not being bias with my perception on this, given what I went through, but there's something uniquely manipulative about the details of what you've experienced. An intrusive thought or 'vision' about a ouija session in your sun room, for example, feels like misdirection to purposefully obscure what's actually going on. The way you described this also felt like you were questioning the validity of it. I'd trust that.

Please keep yourself and your home cleansed and shielded. You likely need to do this more often while this is going on. If you can get your wife involved in the cleansing process, all the better. But only if she's willing to do so with a positive attitude. If not, leave her out of the cleansing. I know that sounds rude, but positivity is what's needed and I'd fear someone begrudgingly taking part might do more harm than good.

It sounds like something's been observing, unnoticed, while you've all been busy. How long have you lived in your home? Have you been experiencing fatigue?
twelveam (74 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-11)
Hi mark,

Let me start by extending my sympathy to all you are experiencing in life right now. Sounds like you have ALOT on your plate!

Funny...I was just thinking the other day about something that happened to me regarding a previous dog I had and the paranormal activity surrounding the situation. In 2005, I had a 14 year old beagle which I got when he was less than a month old. He got cancer on his lower jaw and had a tumor growing inside his mouth which got to the point where he wasn't able to chew his food. About a week after he was diagnosed, I started to see (also out of the corner of my eye) a small shadow darting around the house as to where when I directly looked at it, I would just see a glimpse of it before it ran behind something like a box or around a corner, and of course there would be nothing there in that area if I went to look. We had the tumor removed and Sammy (my beagle) seemed to be fine! He was eating okay and was playful like before and was really happy! Our family was so thrilled to have him back to his old self (so it seemed.)
This went on for about a month after the surgery but I still continued to see the darting shadow appearing around the house, but what REALLY freaked me out was that I NEVER mentioned a thing about seeing anything to my wife, but one day she said to me "I feel I am going crazy, I keep seeing this small running shadow around the house for about a month now!" I said "you see it too?!" so we both verified our sanity at that moment.

After that month, Sammy had the tumor come back with a vengeance, and the vet said the only option left was to perform an expensive surgery and remove more than half of his lower jaw, and even then it still most likely will show up somewhere else and feeding him would be quite a chore. We obviously had to put him to sleep, but after we did right before Christmas, my wife and I never saw the small shadow ever again. I fully believe that it must have been another dog that had passed, possibly a relative of his, and it was coming to bring him home to the other side.

As far as the other dog sighting for your family goes, that could be similar to what happened to me. In your story you mention that the other dog hasn't been seen in a few months but I wanted to ask if it has been seen AFTER reggie was put down? The dog sighting may be a totally different experience that is not tied to the other paranormal activities like the smells and mood swings, etc. Maybe you could consider having a paranormal team with good equipment come in and do a thorough investigation. I would suggest finding a team that offers pathways to get help with paranormal problems AS WELL as documenting evidence and doing research. It may be a good idea to start researching your property and houses history on your own if you are able to. I wish you and your family the best and I hope to hear some good future news from you that you were able to get everything under control.

Twelveam

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: