You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Southside Home Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

The Southside Home Haunting

 

The Southside Home Haunting

This past year I inherited my mom and dad's home. My mom passed away suddenly in August of 2014 and my dad passed September of last year. I was to continue living in the home but felt it would be a constant reminder that they were both gone so I decided to sell. Before I knew it the house was sold and I was frantically looking for a new home closer to my kids and grandkids.

To my surprise I came across a beautiful 3,000 sq. Ft., 2 story home with an oversized lot that was only about 5 minutes from my kids. It's located outside the city limits and not in a subdivision. There is acreage across from me with horses. I felt that this was an ideal place to live. It was a foreclosure so I got it at a very low price.

I moved in with my daughter and her family temporarily while the renovation was being done. On about the 5th day, as my contractor and I were going over some things, he made a comment that he thought my house was haunted and laughed. I asked him what he was talking about. He told me that for the past 3 days when he came to start work on the house, he thought someone was already there but realized it was just the radio. The only thing is, at night before locking up, he explained that he always makes sure to shut off all the lights and the radio, yet when coming back to the house, he would find the lights and radio on. I told him it was not us because we all work and hadn't had time to even go over to check on the progress. We had new locks put on and other than my son-in-law, my daughter and myself, no one had a key other than him.

A few days later, as he and his helper were working at one end of the house they both heard the front door open. They both yelled out "We're back here!" My contractor assumed it was either me or my son-in-law. A man with a deep, loud voice yelled "Adam!" (my contractor's name). Neither guy recognized the voice that yelled his name. They walked toward the living room and said "hello?". They looked throughout the entire house but found no sign of anyone.

The next evening they were finishing up in the same room when they heard the front door open again, and the sound of someone walking up the stairs; they could hear what sounded like a large man with heavy boots walk the full length of the house and up to the master bedroom. They heard what sounded like 2 people having a conversation in the room directly above where they were working. Wondering who came in, they went upstairs to check. Again, no one was in the house.

There were several evenings when Adam had to come work by himself. He did most of the work at night because he had a deadline to meet on an existing job that he started previous to this one. On the nights he had to work by himself he told me that he would get an eerie feeling that someone was watching him. One night, he called and wanted to know where Robert went (my son-in-law). I asked him what he was talking about, that I was sitting in the kitchen at my daughter's house talking to Robert at that very moment. He accused me of messing with him and I told him that I was very serious and gave my son-in-law the phone to prove to Adam that we were together. Adam immediately got his things and left. He told me the next day that he heard what sounded like Robert, walk in the front door, shut the door and walk up the stairs.

One evening, the two contractors were working on the guest bathroom located underneath the stairwell. As they were putting a new toilet in, they heard the same type footsteps walking in the hall upstairs. The younger guy jumped around the edge of the stairs to see who it was and said he saw a boot at the edge of the hall upstairs. They immediately got their tools and left. I got a call that night telling me that they wouldn't be back in the home to finish until I had the home blessed.

My daughter called our pastor the next day and he came right out. We were not in the home at the time of the blessing but our pastor told us that something had happened at the time of the blessing that has never happened before. He said that every room that had a door, when he would cast out anything that was not of God, the door would slam shut.

Everything has been fine since that day until just recently. My daughter and I have been hearing footsteps again. We hear noises that don't make sense and have a feeling that someone is looking at us. I woke up the other night to the sensation of someone tickling my foot and could not go back to sleep. My 11 year old grandson has been wanting to sleep with me at night and my 3 year old grandson will no longer go to the bathroom or to his bedroom by himself. We hear unexplainable noises like things falling in the next room over or downstairs or sounds that make us think someone is in the house, yet when we go to investigate, no one is there.

There's part of this story that I left out until now. I knew the previous owner of the home. I had even been just inside the house because she used to have a daycare at one end of the house and she watched one of my grandson's who is now 8 years old. She and I had a conversation and she told me that she was afraid to stay there at night when her kids were with their dad because she felt someone staring at her and would hear unexplainable noises. I initially gave up the idea of buying this house due to her stories telling me what had gone on in the home but the house since the house was so big and nice, I decided that it must have been her imagination. I never told the contractor about this so it wasn't just his imagination getting the best of him.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Enlightened1959

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Enlightened1959, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-14)
This sounds like a very interesting home. Could possibly even be an intelligent haunting if it calls out names. You will certainly have to keep us updated on it. I wondered if the laws in your state require the former owner to actually say if they believe their home is haunted.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-25)
Hello Biblio,

Thank you for sending me a detailed explanation of your thoughts and findings on the subject of "ghosts, spirits, poltergeists and the like... I haven't taken the time to study much on this topic. I can only say that when I have had activity in the past, when I rebuke it in the name of Jesus Christ, it immediately stops. Since the house blessing, we really haven't had any activity that I can say for sure IS activity. After living in several two story homes, I have come to the realization that they are absolutely more noisy than one story homes and this is why I can dismiss most if not all of the noises we have heard recently. I can not explain away voices that call out names or the sound of combat boots walking up the stairs and across the length of upstairs but we have not heard those noises since the house blessing.

Thanks again Biblio! And I will re-read your last message because I find your knowledge very compelling. 😁
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-20)
Enlightened:

I was going to quote Luke 24:37, too, but I thought that'd be over-doing it a bit. I always liked reading Luke's Gospel; it, and his following text The Acts of the Apostles, read rather like an adventure novel version of early Christianity. To see where I'm coming from, I'm going to deal with the documented, verifiable historical contexts for the early Christian writings. Now, as you are a devout Christian, I want to state that this history is in no way intended as an affront to your practice of your faith. I was raised Anglican, but my family became more religious after a family tragedy; we attended a more lively church and, eventually, my mother became a minister with a deliberately non-denominational certification (though I'd say she's Pentecostal). My wife is Roman Catholic, one of my good friends --with whom I chat 3 or 4 times a week-- is an Orthodox Rabbi, and I've got a serious addiction to researching history. I am Agnostic; this means I won't judge people for following the tenets of their faith and I will try to avoid giving offense when talking about the history and practice of that religion.

Jesus (Yeshua Ben Yosef) was raised in Essene Judaism which had a very strict study regimen, but was very socialist in nature, like the Kibbutz lifestyle in some Israeli communities today. Jesus' teachings were very down-to-earth practices (humility, honesty, devotion, generosity,) in opposition to the more convoluted laws of the Sanhedrin. From a purely social/political perspective, he spent 3 years claiming that the leaders of Judaism were full of nonsense, so they had him tried and executed for being a nuisance. This was enough to make Roman authorities want to stamp out his followers and prevent further political turmoil, while the Jews who'd followed the practices approved by the Sanhedrin would have been afraid that remaining Christians might try to form an insurgency to overthrow the religious authorities.

Mark wrote his Gospel first, about 20-30 years after Jesus' crucifixion, and likely interviewed eyewitnesses to key events, or the children of those eyewitnesses; about 15-20 years after that, Luke -a medical man- included much of Mark's work in his research when he wrote his 2 books; then Matthew wrote his account next, also including Mark's Gospel as a key source, but mostly independent of Luke's research; and -lastly- John wrote his Gospel almost a century after the crucifixion, and he was influenced by other writings (such as the pseudepigraphia of scholars claiming to represent continuations of religious reasoning in the style of revered theologians) when pulling together his version of events.

Early Christianity was much closer to Judaism in its belief structure than it is today. Other than Jesus' statements that "In my father's house there are many mansions... I go to prepare a place for you," and "Truly I say unto you, today you shall be with me in paradise," there isn't much explanation for what happens after death. "Hell," as understood by Christians today, is not in the original texts. "Gehenna," which is often translated into English as "Hell," is a valley to the south of Jerusalem where unrighteous Jews were punished by being cremated after being stoned to death, thus denied the rite of a Jewish funeral. (It's a surprisingly pretty place in the summer time, at the foot of the Mount of Olives.) The descriptions of burning in Gehenna got conflated with the "Lake of Fire" (from John's Revelation on the Island of Patmos) which was supposed to purge sins after death. So, originally, Hell was more like the Catholic "Purgatory" than Hell, to purify the souls which were to go to whatever task God has planned. Oddly, Jews don't claim to know what happens after death, but trust the Almighty to sort it out.

Christianity got a bit jumbled up with some other ideas while it was illegal in the Roman Empire, so St. Jerome translated the whole thing out of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek into Latin, and chose his Latin terms to reflect the prevailing thoughts at the time, and to make the Bible consistent with the beliefs and practices St. Paul had advocated. "Satan" wasn't in the Bible either, but "Lucifer" was; he was like the Prosecuting Attorney in God's courtroom, keeping track of wrongdoings (this is why Lucifer is able to chat with God in the Book of Job, despite God's being unable to look upon sin, as the Book of Job takes place during Genesis). "Satan" or "Shaitan" was derived from Ha-Satan ("The Satan") in Hebrew, meaning "The Accuser" or "The Opposer;" it is a Divinely-appointed task. St. Jerome muddled up the Creation narrative in Genesis with Isaiah's discussion of the fall of the morning star (some think this was the planet Venus, which hasn't gone anywhere; it was one of the more grandiose titles of the King of Babylon, which is what the rest of Isaiah, chapter 14, is about).

There isn't any clear description in the Bible, nor in any other source text, about what spirits, ghosts, souls, angels, demons, ghouls, djinn, poltergeists, or elementals ARE. There's plenty of traditions, hearsay, legends, etc., that have the status of "well, everybody KNOWS this is true," but nothing to back up any of those assertions without taking the Bible verses completely out of context and twisting the meanings of the original language to suit the facts "everybody knows" are "true."

I will state that many spirits seem to be the personalities of deceased people, thus they have distinct character traits, such as being kind, forgetful, mean, vicious, and a thousand other traits we associate with being human. Not everything bad springs from evil intentions, but a spirit which is subjected to what it perceives as irritations in its personal space will become aggressive, even potentially dangerous. It is time for you to pray to move the spirit out of your home and into the afterlife which God has ordained for it... Whatever that afterlife might be...

Best,
Biblio.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-20)
Hello Biblio!

Thank you so much for your response, you have encouraged me and yes Philippians 4:8 is one of my favorite verses in the bible. Thank you for reminding me of it. It seems that since my parents have passed, my whole world feels upside down. When I read what you said about having a positive attitude, it made me start to think and I realize how negative I have been since my parents passed. My brother (who lives in New York), calls me quite often or I call him and we sometimes sit and talk about how their passing has affected us so much in a negative way. While we both realize this is a normal course of nature, it doesn't make it hurt any less.

I plan to use continue to do what is necessary to keep my home in order. Being raised a Christian, I have always ran to God's word and also prayer to combat any trouble that comes my way. I am still not clear how a spirit can be good or not harmful. I have always believed that once you are no longer in a physical body that you are either in heaven or hell. I'm fuzzy on the whole "ghost" idea. In Luke 24:37 says... But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. (Instead of Jesus) What are your thoughts?

Thanks again and I will take everyone's advise seriously, besides, moving is not exactly an option.

Tomorrow when I get home from work, I plan on posting that verse on the frig and on the bedroom and bathroom mirrors so that I will be constantly reminded to think on good things!

😁 😁 😁
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-20)
Enlightened:

I'm sorry that you're grieving your parents at the moment. This process, which normally lasts a few years, makes coping with everything much more strenuous because the simplest word has the potential to evoke fond memories and an overwhelming sense loss.

Now, I'm going to respond to your questions in reverse order, if that's acceptable; if it is not, you'll just have to read my remaining paragraphs from bottom-to-top 😜.

Playing Christian music will have no effect upon a disembodied spirit, but it will have a positive effect upon *your* spirit. It will make you mindful of your faith and will support your prayerful efforts to keep your home free of unwanted interference. It is that mindfulness that will provide you with strength: see Philippians 4:8, "...whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (I've always preferred the rhythm of the KJV.)

Having a positive attitude, I think you'll find, will help reduce the stress in your home. I know that one of my supernatural experiences was exacerbated by a feeling of oppressive gloom in my apartment and of depression in my life; I -along with many others here on YGS- believe that spirits can create an atmosphere of tension or uncertainty for their own benefit; there are multiple narratives submitted to this archive which include physical symptoms as an effect of otherworldly animosity. I strongly suspect that these medical issues are a way to sap the willpower of the living, thus making them more vulnerable to manipulation. For a list of some of the characteristics/behaviors of paranormal entities, take a look at Mark, chapter 5, and Luke 8:26-33. You'll notice that Jesus (the Christian Messiah who is embodied on Earth to teach Godliness to mankind and to redeem sinners for all time) has to command Legion to leave the man **several times** before they stop bargaining with him and do what he has told them to do. Jesus exorcized them; they resisted; then they got Jesus to negotiate with them. DO NOT underestimate the strength of spirits. Now, this is a Biblical account of possession, not of a haunting, but the parallel is a spirit not wanting to leave a comfortable, familiar location.

In sum, then: Yes, they can definitely cause stress, illness, disorientation, harm, damage, or injury. You've begun to take serious steps to clear your home, and I'm thrilled you're going to use Rook's method in conjunction with prayer. This is a good way to protect and to cleanse your home; no one should feel unsafe in your house. When you begin to clear out this pest, there is a good chance that you'll get a bit of resistance at first; you must persevere for the sake of your entire family. The spirit may not be evil, but if it is making people feel fear, then it is dangerous to your wellbeing.

Best,
Biblio.

P.S.: I'm sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this; I started writing the response yesterday, but it's been non-stop around here.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-19)
Biblio,

Thank you so much for messaging me. Sometimes I feel that buying this house was a mistake then other times I'm very glad I did. I hope this is not a quiescent period! My family has gone through quite a bit of turmoil these past 2 years. Losing both my parents within 14 months of each other among other things, we all have had a lot of stress in our lives. Do you think spirits gain strength on that type of anxiety? Do you think they can CAUSE stress and anxiety, or sickness?

I will do as you suggested and do the house-cleansing method posted by rookdygin.

Thank you again for your comments.

Incidentally, I have not has any recent negative feelings and I am usually very sensitive to these type things. Also, we do keep Christian music playing in the house and pray quite a bit. I think this should drive anything ungodly away. What do you think?
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-17)
I found this account very frightening. Please do the cleansingsuggested by Biblio. Also, lead let us know how it goes. Updates are far too infrequent here!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
Greetings, Enlightened.

I am reacting to your narrative with some concern, as you have your grandchildren in the house on a regular basis. I'm calmly analyzing your narrative and making observations consistent with other narratives similar to yours, so please don't read the following paragraphs under the impression that I'm an alarmist trying to cause panic.

The behaviors you describe are in keeping with a spirit who knows exactly what he is doing. I suspect that the reason the doors kept slamming as the pastor was attempting to cast out the spirit was not because the spirit was doing as he was told, rather that he was shutting the pastor in and blatantly resisting departure. Exorcisms of intelligent hauntings do need to be repeated and strengthened because the spirit has the ability to reason. Intelligent hauntings will seek loopholes in instructions, or will make repeated efforts to re-enter a space which they think is theirs.

If your pastor told anyone/anything "not of God" to leave, then the spirit slammed doors shut instead, perhaps it considers itself -as a spirit- to be a creation of God, therefore it has no need to leave, so it can cheerfully ignore the pastor and frighten him, too. As many of these experiences begin with the front door opening, there's a decent chance that this manifestation is not limited by the boundaries of the house, so it may have left and re-entered the home, getting progressively more annoyed that this interloper is trying to evict him.

In cases like these, there is often a quiescent period subsequent to the blessing, followed by a slow re-emergence of the symptoms to upset/disquiet the residents of the home. If you, your grandchildren, the construction workers, and the previous owner all felt uncomfortable, watched, touched, etc., then the spirit is strong and quite adept at manipulating people or events to its own advantage. Fear (or prolonged low-level anxiety) appears to be a source of energy for some spirits; the temptation to "leave well enough alone" while it rebuilds its energy reserves can have unpleasant consequences.

Please see the house-cleansing method posted by rookdygin, a minister, on his profile page www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155. Scan down the "about me" section for the "Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)." You'll note that his method has been carefully structured to be compatible with religious practice and it is in no way extreme.

Take good care of yourself & your family.

Best,
Biblio.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
Oh heck no! It's a beautiful home... I looked at the house in the MLS guide for weeks and kept declining at the very thought of buying it but I couldn't find anything close to the price for as nice so I finally had my realtor show it to my daughter and me. A couple weird things happened while we were at the showing but we had to get it anyway. It's like the house was waiting for us to buy it because someone should have snatched that house up months earlier! We do still see shadows and hear the boots walking and we still hear things falling and my grandson's rocking chair rock, but we have not felt threatened. We love the layout and we put an in-ground pool in so it might be hard to get our money back out of it right anyway. It's still a huge house and yard for the money. If something has to go, it will be the entity that haunts the house!
Nayo03 (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
Wow, that is pretty intense. So do you still live in that house or did you give it up?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: