You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Happens When I Sleep?

Real Ghost Stories

What Happens When I Sleep?

 

I recently moved a long way away from home into university. I'm used to using sage regularly due to my use of crystals and tarot cards. However the halls I'm staying in are only 2 years old, and have an incredibly sensitive smoke detection system. Due to this, I haven't used my sage, or properly cleansed my crystals, which I was fine with as I have been using my cards for a number of years, and am always wearing amethyst. But I'm not sure I feel safe anymore.

About 2 weeks ago I started waking up in the pitch black. I jolt up the way you do when you realise you're late for work, with that rush of adrenaline. But every time I check my phone it's 4am. On the dot, not a minute later, and I'd stay wide awake until my alarm woke me at 7:30, only then I'd realise I must have slept somehow.

I could deal with this, I thought, new place, new anxiety. Then something else started.

The first time, I woke up, around 3:30, disorientated and confused, more so that it wasn't 4am than at being woken up. I remember looking in the shadows around me, I just had this feeling of 'wrong'. When my eyes focused, I halted my breathing. I saw a large humanoid dark figure standing, facing my bed, it had its left hand in the air, I call it a hand because I could see fingers, or something that looked like fingers. It seemed to get bigger the longer I stared. I heard a loud hissing noise, and in my sleep deprived state I thought of air freshener. Odd, but as I started to wake up I realised this was because I could smell something awful, like rotten cheese or sulphuric eggs. I must have blacked out because I jolted my eyes open to drowsily see it walking away towards my wardrobe (and the door to my room) with slowed walking and slouched shoulders. I shouted something (my flatmate later said it sounded like "no") but then I woke up at 4, as had become the norm. I didn't know whether I should trust myself or write it off as some kind of bad dream, all I knew was that I was scared, and I felt physically awful.

The next day I was violently ill, tremors, vomiting, I couldn't sleep. And there was a dreadful pounding in my head that paracetamol and ibuprofen wouldn't relieve. The more I thought about it, the more I came to think that this figure had something to do with this unexplained and extremely sudden illness. But I still wasn't entirely convinced, I didn't want to believe it. I didn't see it again until 2 days later, same hissing, same figure, but this time it was closer to me, and the smell burned my nose. Again, I became sick, and all I could taste was rotten eggs like the smell was stuck up my nose. The third time was Sunday night, and almost exactly the same - he keeps getting closer.

I don't know if this is some kind of sleep paralysis, or delusion, or something else. I have suffered with depression in the past, perhaps it's linked, although I'm not on any kind of medication. I know I'll just sound crazy, so I haven't told anyone, I often talk in my sleep (so I'm told) so I can easily fake not remembering my shouts. But I'm scared, each time he has been getting closer to my bed, what happens when he reaches me? Or what if it truly is just some kind of psychosis? Do I trust my fuzzy, sleepy state? I am truly at a loss, I haven't seen it in 2 nights and I'm scared to go to sleep. Please, I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks,

DolceFarNiente

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DolceFarNiente, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-30)
Monty998's comments are often controversial but, in this instance, I think they may have hit on something. From what reading I have done, a lot of what this author describes fits with a demonic presence but I am certainly no authority. It seems clear to me, at very least, that the author is not dealing with something warm and fuzzy.

I am in agreement with those who have recommended getting rid of this thing and shielding yourself - Rook's cleanse seems like a good place to start. I don't think you have to give up your cards or crystals just incorporate a 'hyper-sensitive-smoke-alarm' friendly method of cleansing into your regular practices. You could try grinding the sage and using a vaporizer like what many smokers use (in many cultures, shamans exhale smoke over objects, people, animals etc to convey blessings - it might work with steam vapor too and it is significantly less likely or effect the smoke detector), you could try a scent machine loaded with sage essential oil (lavender, Rosemary, frankincense and clove are also known to have some effect... Might as well have all your bases covered [its what I've done in the past and its worked for me] - and these are designed to be left on so you could keep it going as you slept), I've seen some recommend even potted plants of sacred herbs (like sage, rosemary and lavender)...again, couldn't hurt, white candles are often recommended in addition to or as substitutes for sage (you can also add the aforementioned essential oils to them). I also have found that putting up treasured photographs of people closest to me, especially those who have passed, helps bring a very strong positivity to my space. More important than anything else is at you pick a method that is most resonant to you - the more you believe in it, the stronger and more effective it will be:-) it doesn't have to be tied to one religion or belief system or another - just significant to you - whatever is most positive to you and in your life, that's where your strength will come from and that is what you can use to get rid of this thing, whatever it is:)
Damali (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-24)
To start with, try getting rid of any crystals, tarot cards, and any and all occult objects you have. If you have to constantly smudge because you don't feel safe messing with the stuff you mess with there is a reason for that, and you should avoid it all together.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
I believe introductions are in order...

Rook Dygin: Many years experiences, High Priesthood (Melchizedek) holder in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, former Witch and 'creator' of the Cleansing and Shielding method that has been referred to.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have I will do my best to answer them.

I will say this, being ill, the next day... The rest may have been you 'catching' the 'bug' and as your body fought it off you had these strange dreams and such... Need a wee bit more information before that can be a given though.

Till then I have one for Bella,

Why 'Mormon's'? My Faith is not often a Christians 'First Choice' when it comes to dealing with 'things' of a paranormal nature. Just curious.

Respectfully,

Rook
Monty998 (1 stories) (50 posts)
-3
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
Tweed, Bella is free to voice her opinion as is everyone. She only suggested and said what she felt.

Coming back to your experience Dolce, waking up repeatedly at one particular time means your being visited by something powerful. Even we humans have that power, try it yourself, stare at someone when they are not looking your way. In about 2 minutes or so that person will immediately look at you. Same thing happening with you and that entity, but because they are more powerful than humans, your sleep breaks immediately. Rotten smell is usually associated with devilish entities and hissing sound with telepathic connection. The sickness is a sign of first stage of possession. If you want help then you can choose to email me. Thanks for your experience, may the angels be with you.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-20)
Tweed,
I think the meaning of Bella's post is in how it's read. I took it to mean in her personal opinion she'd use a Mormon elder, not that the OP must convert to Mormonism: "I'd personally reccoment a mormon priest, if you can, but any could do the job, I just trust mormons a little more."
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-11-20)
Hi Dolce,

I have a funny feeling this apartment needs one heck of a good cleanse. It's a shame you can't use your usual method because of the stupid smoke detectors. (wonder if they're super strong detectors, all the better to detect joints and bongs, but I digress). Here's hoping you can use incense without setting them off. There's a cleansing go to we all recommend here, it's designed for the home so it's perfect for your situation. It incorporates incense, but if those smoke detectors have a whinge about it you could always give scented candles a whirl. I recommend you place an importance on pleasant smells at your place, particularly your bedroom. If this is a real entity it seems to be gaining momentum with horrible smells.
Here's the cleansing, scroll down the page for instructions:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155

I agree with Randy about the time you're waking up, I do this too. Or I have done at various times over the years. However, I've never stayed awake for ages. It sounds like you've gotten yourself into a bad sleeping pattern, creating insomnia and further negativity.

Your experience reminded me a bit of a member here named Wish Not, who also had a bad 'hissing' experience. I usually link people to other experiences, but I won't this time because it wasn't very nice at all! But at the same time, I wanted you to know you're not the only one to have had a bad experience with that kind of noise.
Thanks for sharing and I hope those smoke detectors like incense!😊

-----
Unrelated but, I think it has to be said...

Bella, for goodness sake don't go around telling people they're in danger and need to become Mormons. That's more or less how your post read. I'm friends with a Mormon couple and they'd never go around telling people all that.
Bella16 (8 posts)
-4
7 years ago (2016-11-19)
You are in danger.

This is my opinion and I hope this will help.

First, go to a doctor as soon as possible.
Second, get a good priest. I'd personally reccoment a mormon priest, if you can, but any could do the job, I just trust mormons a little more. (make sure it's one from the right church, since there's a chorch that takes the mormon name, but it's not the original one)
I say this, because even after you do a cleansing from a not strong enough priest, it can come back and can get even worse. I've experienced similar things before and a mormon elder have solved it with a simple prayer, and it never have happened again.

3. Keep youself from attitudes that will draw bad energies towards you. It varies from having contact with supernatural entities (they are often liars and dangerous), to getting into fights or arguments, inappropriate sexual behaviors, and things that hazards your health like drinking alcohol (it all makes you vulnerable), drugs and smoking.

If you want, you can ask for further information to the priest. All this will keep evil influence from you and your house.

Regards, and best of wishes.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-11-19)
Hello DolceFarNiente

Welcome to YGS

WOW,That is some experience.
1st. Waking at the same time is normal. Happens to me and a huge number of people. Our brains become so used to waking up at certain times we can do it without alarm clocks. Especially if you dwell on it.
You didn't mention if you could move or not. This is one of the main symptoms of sleep paralysis. You can't move anything but your eyes.
If it is SP then I will inform you that another very very common symptom is believing that beings are in the room with you. Usually dark evil beings. I know from many first hand episodes of SP how real and convincing it is. If it is SP you really don't have anything to worry about. SP is more of a nuisance than anything else. There is no cure and all you can do is try and relax and wait it out. Normally a few seconds will do it. Relaxing is key to help break out of it.
Understand, I not saying that SP is what your having, just a possibility.
If it's NOT SP then please also be aware there are many other sleep disorders. If it continues then you may first want to consult a sleep doctor. Don't be afraid they will think your nuts. Doctors hear all sorts of odd stuff and you need to be truthful so they can help you.

Not sure if any of this helps but I hope so and certainly hope you the best.

Randy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: