You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: Spirit Image - Sumner Drew

Real Ghost Stories

Spirit Image - Sumner Drew

 

I think you'll find this quite interesting. You can find it on the "Findagrave site for (Sumner Drew) in Orono,Maine-in Penobscot County." It'll take a minute to go through the search on the site, but it'll be worth the time.

We have taken over 950 cemetery photos for geneology research purposes. While we were taking photos, I was joking with my wife about not finding any orbs in at least one of the photos. There it was clear as day, the image appears to the right of the headstone. A few people have said they see a few images to the left of the headstone also, but they aren't as clear. We have looked for a photo of Sumner to see if this is him, but we haven't been able to find one.We'll continue searching to see if we can match him to a photo and find out who this is.

An earlier cemetery located here in town, down on Water street was relocated to this old part of the cemetery. The railroad bought the rights to put tracks right through the area, so between the seasonal floods and the construction going on in this area some of the stones were lost and unmarked graves were left behind and some were even filled over. Some of the older residents in town say some were washed away before the railroad came to town, they would retrieve the ones they could and buried in unmarked graves into the new cemetery. My father's uncle used to do the work, so the stories have been passed down on the generations. Its also talked about in the history of Orono. Progress was coming through town one way or another and I often wonder how many other towns were affected this way. Neighborhoods were already in place around the cememtary so that didn't leave them many options, but still its seems pretty invasive once your supposed to be laid to rest. The town did finally approve of the construction after a lot of opposition over the proposal and the railroad covering the cost of relocating the graves. This photo may just be one of the folks that were upset about being moved or might even be from a lost grave. Its hard to explain the unexplainable sometimes.

Thanks Richard

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Roadster40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-22)
Greetings, Roadster.

I was intrigued by your photograph. To the right of the monument there does appear to be a rudimentary oval shape similar to a man's head. I couldn't get it to line up with the lichen patterning on the stone, which is what I think would have happened if the image been caused by a water droplet refracting the image (this also would have accounted for the odd "layering" effect in the background). I blew up the image to 400x, and what had appeared to be the shadows under a prominent brow ridge now appeared to be part of a structure seen through brambles.

HOWEVER, to be fair to your image, I then went onto google maps and used the 3D mapping images to contextualize the shot. There are brambles and trees which could create the effect, but they appear to be in the wrong sight-lines for the monument to align with nearby structures. The topography seems to work against my hypothesis, also, as the nearby University of Maine is across the Penobscot river, and the brushy growth is clearly on the riverbank side of the slope, not between the marker and any structures in the sight line. There are a few structures, both in the cemetery and nearby, but they don't appear to have any bushes, etc. One structure does look like it would cause the image in the manner I've speculated, but it is *downhill* from the cemetery, not level with it, and it is much further away than the 20' I approximated would cause an illusion of a face.

Additionally, the potential for wrought iron fencing causing an optical illusion occurred to me, but the grounds do not seem to be encumbered with Victorian fences.

Strangely, now that I've been through all of these steps to explore the image, I'm still having trouble believing it to be a paranormal phenomenon. I think you've captured an intriguing optical illusion, I have no idea how this image was created, and I think you've submitted it here in good faith because you've not set out to dupe anyone with some outlandish story. You are a genealogist who took a simple photo of a marker while chatting with his wife in the late afternoon on an overcast day, and you wound up with an inexplicable result.

It's weird and interesting, but I doubt that it is a spirit. Thanks for letting us all take a look at it, though. 😊

Best,
Biblio.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-22)
I can see the face clear as day. At first I thought it was a triple image it's just the background brush. But yeah, I see a man with a beard and could be wearing a hat. If he's not, he's got some very oddly placed ears.
K_marie82 (1 stories) (23 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-22)
Roadster are you talking about a face in the upper right corner? Looks like a man's face with a beard? That's what I see... Pretty neat!
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
Sorry! I forgot to say thanks to valkricry for doing the legwork on the site to find the actual photo!
Welcome to YGS Roadster40. Interesting story!

Thanks,

Mother of Beagles
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
I think I'm with Rook on this one. However like L_Meb, I am not a trained eye, and I am open to being convinced. It would be interesting to find a photo or Mr. Drew, just for comparison.
L_Melb (220 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
Another thank you to Val for kindly providing the link, however, I tend to agree with Rook
Looks more like a case of creating images from the shapes in the background.
Then again, I haven't taken/viewed such a large number of photos and perhaps after doing so it looks decidedly abnormal in comparison (hope that makes sense! 😜)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
Val,

Thanks for the link.

However I do not see an images on either side of the Grave Stone. I see what looks like 'breaks' in the tree limbs to me, not 'orbs' closer to the Grave Stone. Sorry...

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-20)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: