You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Family Cabin

Real Ghost Stories

A Family Cabin

 

The land I grew up on has a lot of history, and I mean a lot. Findings have been made in the area all the way back from around iron age, although no proper excavation have been made due to how far north it is (much of the land was covered in ice during the ice age making archeologist more likely to make their bets in the southern parts of the country) and probably due to political and funding reasons. Throughout my childhood, me and my siblings made different finds around the lands, but mostly from more recent times. Things like old coins, old ceramic, parts of walls, old shoes and many other little things like this. It was normal to come across these sorts of things during work or play at the farm. My mother also has an impressive collection of old cowbells that she has found around the fields. From massive bells, as big as a milk bottle, to tiny ones as small as a thimble. It is as if the lands reeks of history, you almost get this aura of respect for the hard work that must have taken place there over the centuries.

Hence, a lot of paranormal or at least odd things have happened to me around the house. This time I will tell you about the cabin so that my story doesn't go all over the place. The cabin is a two-storied timbered house that once was the main building of our property. For whatever reason, it was moved and sold out of family. It wasn't moved very far though, only a few hundred meters out in the woods from the main road. When I was about eight years old the cabin was put up for sale again and after much negotiations my mom managed to buy it back into our family. The cabin now served as a summer house and the previous owners had painted it red and added a new part to it, what was supposed to become a bathroom but left mid work and never completed.

This cabin was quite an adventure for us kids and we spent many summer nights in it. It did have electricity but no heating (part from a nonfunctional fireplace) so it wouldn't have been possible during winter. There was something about this place though, this feeling you just couldn't shake. As if whenever you were there alone you would feel as if someone was standing behind you. This constant creepy feeling of being watched.

The first peculiar thing I experienced there was when me and my older sister were sleeping together in one of those old wooden, pull out beds on the ground floor. I woke up in the middle of the night and heard what sounded like a woman sobbing. As I was very comfortable and almost asleep I didn't think too much of it, I only dragged the blanket over my head and went back to sleep. The next morning my sister told me she had heard someone singing during the night and at first had thought it was me. She said it sounded like a woman singing or humming a lullaby. This was weird but we honestly found it more intriguing than scary. I was (and still am) fascinated by the past and wanted to know about the people who might have lived it.

The next thing that occurred was a lot more frightening. This time me and the same sister plus our two cousins were all staying in the upstairs loft. We were eating treats, playing games and having a lot of fun when we suddenly clearly heard someone slam open the door downstairs, proceed with heavy footsteps (as if it was a man wearing working boots) into the hallway and entering the living room. Terrified we all went quiet and looked at each other, not knowing what to do. Finally, my sister bravely said in a loud voice "Dad, did you hear that?! I think there is someone downstairs" as to make the person downstairs think that us children were not all alone up there. Everything went quiet after this and we couldn't hear anything else. We waited up a few hours until it started to get brighter outside (this happens around 02:00 am around this time of year) then slowly went downstairs to investigate. It was terrifying, slowly walking down the steep stairs with some of my older brothers' dumbbells as our only weapon. Downstairs there was absolutely nothing, the door was firmly locked still, there was no other way to get in or out, plus, we would have clearly heard if whoever it was had left again. This same event reoccurred later that summer for my sisters when they were staying there with some friends.

Other small weird happenings we sort of got used to or brushed off as the wooden old house talking, but this one summer a few years later a far scarier event took place. My sister and I decided we would live in the cabin for a few weeks, sort of as a small test on how it would be to live on our own and cook our own food. We had a lot of fun during this time and were working on a tree-house during the days. Sometimes we would work to clear the small stream running by the cabin, it was quite blocked by old garbage as it was running down a long hill. We fished out old vintage beer cans, buckets and other exciting items. So, we were quite occupied and had a blast. We also used the water from this stream to do our dishes as there was no plumbing or water in the cabin.

One morning we made porridge but burnt it severely so instead of even trying to clean the pot that same morning, we filled it up with water and left it out on the porch. This particular day we needed to get back to the main house to fill up our food supplies and we ended up also staying to watch our favorite Saturday Disney show whilst eating popcorn.

Walking back to the cabin quite late we were happy, laughing and relaxed. Upon arriving we immediately took the pots to the stream, tried our best to rinse the burnt one in the running water and filled up another one to boil it and use for proper cleaning. We were chatting to each other happily and carried the pots back to the cabin. Once we were standing right outside the door and I had sat the key in the lock we suddenly froze. I have a hard time explaining this but it was as if we both instantly, without a word knew that we couldn't go inside. It felt as if someone was standing right inside the door, waiting for us and was going to do something nasty once we entered. The door had windows, so we could clearly see that there was no one there, but the sense of fear and evil was just overwhelming. Without saying a word to each other we slowly backed off the porch, put the pots down on the grass and started backing away from the cabin. We backed slowly all the way out until the main road, where we started running as if our lives depended on it. We ran all the way back to our house. None of us could explain what had just happened.

This whole staying in the cabin thing was sort of an "grown up" test for us, so that night we secretly spent in another cabin on our property. We made other excuses not to stay there any longer and never told anyone about what happened. Our mom was (unsurprisingly) mad at us for not going back to the cabin to clean and clear out our things. But we were just too terrified to go back there and didn't get to it until over a month later.

As the cabin have such a long history and used to be the main house of the farm, the possibilities are endless to what might have caused some of this. The saddest things my mom has told me about it, is that one of the families living there lost all of their children over the course of one year. As someone awaiting my first I cannot begin to imagine the pain they must have gone through, but I do believe it could have left an imprint. This makes me think of the sobbing I heard that night.

Other hauntings by cloudy

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cloudy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
Cloudy,

I just love all of your stories! I watch quite a few of Scandanavian films that are available to me, and I just love the landscapes and imagery, and I imagined it all when I read your story today. What struck me was how scary the boot steps were to you as children. It reminded me of a phrase I heard before about how it seems the scariest thing in our world is our fellow man. I'm glad it was just a presence and not anything that actually harmed you!
Please keep sharing your stories!
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-01)
Suthetland,
That sounds very scary! I definitely do hope you will share some stories too! 😊
Sutherland (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-29)
Hm... Cloudy you have no idea.

I did, after all, spend some of my earliest years growing up in an area that was considered bad land. What when in just over seven years, in an area that can be traveled in about 10 minutes, over 400 people lost their lives in accidents alone. Such an area attracts a lot of supernatural & paranormal activity.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-28)
Sutherland
Wow, It sounds like you had a very adventurous childhood! 😁

It's indeed very far from neighbours and really from anything. It used to take me an hour to go to school everyday as a child and was about a 30 minute drive to the nearest grocery store!

Unfortunately I don't know too much about the history of the land as my grandfather (who grew up there) passed before I was born and my grandmother was by then already divorced from him, so as you can imagine she didn't speak much of the history of the farm. The little I do know my mother has told me and there are also some old photos and painings etc along with a family bible (I'm not sure if this is also the name for this in english, but what I mean is a handwritten book with records of births and deaths in the family).

Fortunately my grandmother on the other side of my family have told me tons about the history and legends from the area where she grew up along with a lot of old folklore, so at least I have that 😊

It's too bad if people don't embrace the history, I'm glad you seem to have an interest for it! 😊
Sutherland (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
[at] cloudy - ah when you said north you mean north. Have you ever asked any of the older generation about the land? I know some of the older generations have some rather interesting stories [through my own experiences] and are happy to talk about what they know themselves / heard through the "grape-vein", etc.

But I can easily see the countryside as I have been to Sweden many times. My friend's familial farmland is remote, it almost seems they are miles from their neighbors, given as they are in the Dalsland region.

And yes you are right. There are similarities between Canada & Sweden. The scenery is very similar for one. As is, to degree, some of the folklore. And then there are issues which are quite different. I found the Swedes I knew / met were quite proud about the history. Where I am in Canada, unfortunately, it seems no one really cares about the history.

As for growing up yes I grew up some in Canada. But I also grew up in the UK, Germany, southern France and even Japan.

Nice story again.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
Sutherland
Thanks for reading 😊
I've also had the impression that Canada and Sweden have many similarities (if this is where you grew up and not only where you stay now). I've always wanted to go there but so far never had the chance to.

The region the cabin is located in is called VΓ€sternorrland.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
bugbear808,
I'm also very glad she was able to buy the cabin back into family! I have many happy memories from the times I've spent there! (part from some sad and the scary memories) and I treasure all of them 😊
Thank you so much and blessings to you too!
Sutherland (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
Sounds very interesting. Very much like the area in which I grew up although not in Sweden. However, the history is incredible & with it the supernatural aspects.

If you don't mind me asking, as I have Swedish friends, where about is this cabin? You don't have be right on top of it but what generic region?
bugbear808 (7 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
Wow...I could almost see the beautiful land you grew up on... So great your Mom was able to purchase the cabin back into the family, creepy as it may be, lol! Great story, but poor sad mother spirit. Thanks for sharing, and good luck and God bless you and your coming little one! 😊
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-26)
Hi tweed,

I'm really glad you enjoyed my story and that you recognised my writing. I know what you mean, I get that a lot too when reading stories here! 😁

Yes, and I'm glad that we sensed it! I don't know what would have happened if we'd just gone inside.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-25)
Hi Cloudy,

Tehe, I had a feeling you were the same person who had that 'Not Only Folklore' experience. As I was reading this it felt like the same person narrating. My memory works in strange ways. 😊
Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed this.

I think you guys have learned well from the land and this in turn made you aware of whatever was behind the door. It seems whoever, or whatever it was, may have been willing you away with negativity in that moment. Cool you both had the same reaction.
Those work boots clomping through the door, eek! Great thinking on your sister's part to call out to your Dad, very wise!
The woman sounded like a nice presence, but obviously a very sad and tormented one.

Reading about the history of your land reminds me of the saying 'if these walls could talk', well your family cabin's walls do talk, in all sorts of ways!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: