You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Possessed Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Possessed Woman

 

My grandfather once had a very strange experience. This happened in the 1980s in rural India.

My grandparents lived in a small town, named Domohani near Jalpaiguri, India in a house made of tin and bricks. Across their front door was another house which remained closed all the time. A reclusive widow lived in this house who seldom interacted with anyone else in the village. This woman had a problem, a serious one. She was susceptible to possession. In India, there's this belief that a person born under a certain astrological sign is more prone to supernatural interactions. This poor woman was one of them.

Every night, this woman would get possessed and unearthly screams could be heard from behind her closed doors. Nobody knew what happened inside.

One night, the screams became too horrifying. Dual voices could be heard, along with gurgling sounds and high pitched shrieks. The villagers mustered their courage and decided to check. They lit up their fire torches as there was no electricity back then, and they all gathered at her door. The screams grew more and more tormented at this stage. The strongest of the lot kicked down the door with a few tries, but as soon as the door opened, the screams stopped.

Needless to say, everyone was super creeped at this point. Since my grandfather was an elder, everyone looked to him for leadership. He slowly inched his way inside, holding his torch up high. The flames of the torch illuminated only enough space for my grandfather to take one small step at a time. As he inched forward, he heard a sickening sound. A crunching, slurping, gurgling sound. They all froze.

My grandfather slowly moved the torch in the direction of the sound and there she was, sitting in a corner, wearing bloodied clothes, hair dishevelled. An overpowering stench overcame all of them. She was sitting in a pile of filth. She was biting and tearing the flesh off a young hen which had had the misfortune of straying into her house. Blood and guts spilled from her mouth as she gnawed on the raw carcass of the poor bird.

She then suddenly stopped and slowly made eye contact with my grandfather. The whites of her eyes were a feverish yellow and her lens were ash grey in colour. My grandfather remembers those eyes to this day. Then, before he could react, she lunged at him with unnatural speed, and bit him straight on his thigh.

My grandfather woke up with a scream, sweating and panting. Yes, this was a nightmare, but it wasn't just any nightmare. As my grandfather reached for the jug of water he always kept by his bedside, he felt a sting in his thigh. He grabbed an oil lamp and held it over his thigh, and lo and behold, the bite mark was there, distinct and green.

Needless to say, this freaked out everyone in the village. The villagers performed holy rituals to keep the negative energy at bay and they just sort of learnt to live with the haunted house amidst them. The villagers never ventured out after sunset, or anywhere close to the house, even during the day.

Eventually, with time the screams died and so did the woman. The authorities removed the widow's self mutilated body from the house. The house was demolished and burnt. Traditional rituals were performed to calm the spirits.

Today, my grandfather is no more here, but needless to say, I still shudder when I get to think of that woman, especially her eyes.

Other hauntings by Paranormal_SN

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Paranormal_SN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

itsdan4u (23 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
How wonderfully written this piece is! Thanks for sharing Paranormal SN!
Paranormal_SN (8 stories) (25 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2016-12-16)
thank you so much #mod, since your clearance was of great help! 😁 & ofcourse the thing has been a misunderstanding, since all I wrote is about actually what happened then... Any inconveniences is deeply regretted. 😐
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-13)
VivekThekote - most people on our site choose a profile name that hasnothing to do with their real name so they can remain anonymous if they choose. Please do not ask for personal information. If someone wants others to know who they are, they normally provide that information in their story or on their profile.
VivekThekote (1 stories) (105 posts)
-2
7 years ago (2016-12-13)
Hi Paranormal, Nice Name please reply your real name. However your story was spine tingling there are instances where people get possessed when you visit such places carry Gods Locket also some Small Hand Book Carrying Gods Mantra Which includes Hanuman Chalisa because such spirits are strong so if You have any Divine Material's the evil spirit will not withstand The Almighty God. Just like to know where this incident occurred?. God Bless All
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-13)
Hi Paranormal SN,

There's been a misunderstanding. About a week ago someone left a nasty comment here which has now been deleted. A few of the comments which remain are essentially telling the nasty person to 'go away'.

The nasty comment which has been deleted had nothing to do with you or your encounter. It was a random comment by someone who sounded drunk, in my opinion. No one was attacking you or your encounter. 😊
Paranormal_SN (8 stories) (25 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2016-12-13)
please excuseme but this is to tellto some of you people that yes!_my grandpa's dead... And it's really too low and mean of you people to talk in that language of yours... Do hold your tongue while you talk regarding something which you don't even know of... And if you think of my story unbelievable... Then I have nothing to do with that loose problem of yours. Thank You!
With regards: Paranormal_SN
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
Oh sorry, I have just read a very rude comment, now stay hidden comment.

Like other comments, a bit confusing but if it's true sure this is a tragic... Does anyone pray for the woman anymore? I know of in such cultural places around the world most of them will purify the land as well, is India one of those places?

Most mysterious part... Is your grandfather alive and not in that village anymore? If he is gone, did you mean that your grandfather will always talk about the woman's eyes when he is still alive? Very confusing at that part for me.

Love from São Paulo
E.Lynx
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-12-01)
Tis the season to be trolling.
Fa la la la la la la la la.

Having a grudge for over 30 years and still steaming about it?!
Some people just need to learn to let go...
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-12-01)
Put the chardonnay down, have a lie down. It'll all be okay in the morning.

Taxi!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-28)
I got confused after reading the following statements:
"...My grandfather remembers those eyes to this day..." and "Today, my grandfather is no more here..." 😊, sorry, I couldn't resist to make a joke.

Your grandfather sure had a scary nightmare, although I wonder if he had that bite before but wasn't aware of it; the fact that it was already green is an indication that it was an old injury on the process of healing.

I think the whole community was suffering of a shared paranoia and perhaps the old widow had a medical condition that made her scream that way, I'd think epilepsy or something on that line.

Anyway, I'm glad she was not accused of witchcraft and the villagers didn't decide to kill her.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: