You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Funeral Home Cleaning

Real Ghost Stories

Funeral Home Cleaning

 

Several years ago, I was working in juvenile corrections in Eastern Kentucky. My best friend, let's call her Jennifer, had her own cleaning business and one of the clients was a funeral home. There were two funeral homes that Jennifer cleaned and both were very busy. Of course, you can't clean a funeral home while they are open, so you have to wait until night. I don't know if you have ever been in a funeral home after hours, but they are fairly spooky.

Late one night I happened to be in my office preparing for an upcoming audit. It was one in the morning, so I really had no business being there, but back in those days I was single and working 80 hours a week and only getting paid for 40. That was one of the disadvantages of being management and being salary. Anyway, I receive a panicked call from Jennifer and it was hard for me to understand her at first. I was afraid that something had happened to her. She finally calmed down and told me she was at the funeral home and to come quick. Fortunately, that particular funeral home was very close by.

I made it to the funeral home in record time. It was one in the morning in a fairly small area, so there was no one around to get in my way. Jennifer and one of her employees met me outside, which I found odd. Jennifer was afraid that there was someone in the funeral home that was messing with them.

Jennifer and her employee had taken a break and were sitting on a couch that faced the two restrooms. Both of these restrooms had been cleaned and had the lights on. While sitting on the couch chatting, they both saw the light in the men's restroom go out. Figuring the lightbulb went bad; Jennifer went in to change it. When she entered the restroom, the light switch had been turned off.

I know what you might be thinking, maybe it was one of those motion lights and the light went off due to them sitting still. I can tell you, that type of innovation takes it time getting to places like I'm from and they still do it the old fashion way. The wall switch is the only way the lights are controlled in that building.

Thinking that it had to be a ghost, Jennifer called me to come see what was going on. I was convinced that it was someone in the building who was up to no good. Well, I covered every inch of that funeral home, including the area where the bodies are prepared for the funerals. I will never go back into one of those rooms. I found no one in the building. I ended up staying the rest of the night and helping Jennifer with the cleaning.

That same night, I was in the lounge area of the funeral home vacuuming. I had moved out all of the table and chairs and was in the center of the room with my vacuum. All of a sudden, I felt three sharp tugs on the barn coat that I was wearing. I turned around real quick to see no one around. There was no way that anyone could have tugged on my coat and made it out of that room without me seeing them.

After that night, I ended up going with Jennifer to the funeral home to clean each week. We would hear things or see something out of the corner of our eyes, but nothing like we experienced that night.

Other hauntings by JJP

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JJP, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
Thanks for sharing your experience! It reminded me of when I was a little girl living in a haunted house. One time something yanked really hard on my moms shirttail one day while she was ironing. My story is called "The Paw Paw house".

Anyway, again I enjoyed your story!
Curly_1Lack (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-30)
Loved the article JJP! It reminded me of the time my wife owned a florist shop across from a funeral home. She worked long hours making floral and casket sprays for funerals. She always talked about taking the sprays to the funeral home with her other floral designer, many times after dark, and how spooky and creepy the funeral home was. She was good friends with the guys working there and they liked to prank her because they knew she was jumpy.Once,she was placing a casket spray in the casket with the deceased and a worker turned out the lights. She gave him a fit over that one. Another time she was placing a spray in the casket and the deceased guys' arm dropped over to his side. She ran screaming and didn't look back. She did say that she always had an uneasy feeling many times when she went there.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-29)
When I was young (many moons ago), I once dated a guy who worked in a funeral home, so I know how scary and unsettling they can be after hours. The light switch might be passed off as just one of those things with a natural cause, but it is hard to explain the tugs on your coat. What was Jennifer and her helper experiencing before you got there?
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-29)
JJP- I can relate to your experience. My first encounters with "them" was while vacuuming in an old church. *See my first story "They Don't Like Vacuuming"

It would seem they don't like the sound I guess. That was the only times I experienced anything there.

Enjoyed your story, Thanks for sharing.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-28)
I worked for a small NPO that was located in the former hearse garage of a old funeral home building. The funeral home area had been divided into offices. Just the scariest place if you had to use a rest room, as these were in the office part. Noises, feeling someone watching you, the whole thing. Scary stuff.

Thanks for posting. Genuinely scary, maybe because I can identify.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-28)
I've never been in a funeral home after hours. Been in them during business hours too many times, but that happens.

I once spent a night in the county morgue when I lived in Columbus. I saw nothing ghostly, but learned of a few new ways folks can die.

I do wonder how tight the light switch was. I've had a one that could be jolted by bumping the wall, and would then go from off to on. But not while sitting on the sofa chatting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: