You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Was My Grandmother Letting Herself Be Known By Scent?

Real Ghost Stories

Was My Grandmother Letting Herself Be Known By Scent?

 

My grandmother was from Hawaii and was diagnosed with Stage 3 cancer (I cannot remember what type she had). She passed away in November two years ago, and all of us were upset, but knowing it was going to happen soon. I certainly was upset, because she helped me change myself a bit. I also had so many questions after she died, like was she going to be okay? Was she no longer suffering? Several weeks later, a neighbor had brought her grandkids for mom to watch over them. My sisters, the kids and myself were in the living room, next to my mom's office. The neighbor and my mom were talking about my grandmother. The youngest turned to my sisters and I and asked if we could smell a vanilla cake candle where we were sitting. My grandmother liked soft smells such as the Vanilla Cake scented Yankee Candle. Sure enough, there was a faint smell of it, and there was NO candle of that scent burning or open. The funny thing was that the scent was staying on the couch next to the office door, on the cushion nearest to the door. When my mom and the neighbor heard what we were talking about, they went silent. That's when the scent began to travel. It went to the front door, came back through the living room, then stopped at the office and stayed there for a bit and then entered the office. After a small while the smell faded. None of us were wearing perfumes, carrying or holding anything that held that scent. And the candle that we smelled was in my grandmother's bedroom closed with an air-tight glass lid. And there are 8 people who smelt the same scent. Was my grandmother curious and wanting in on my mother's conversation?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elemental_Angel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Elemental_Angel (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
Thank you guys for your support and answers. And thank you Argette, I also have another story to talk about, however, I don't think this site allows people to post about dreams.
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Yes, probably that was your grandmother letting you know she was there. What a nice reminder. I've had some experience with fragrance events. They can be quite sweet, no pun intended.

Welcome to YGS!
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Your grandmother was probably there checking in on you all Angel. And yes, smells are very attributable spirit interaction.

Shortly after my mother died, I was still very saddened by losing her and wanted some kind of sign. I quietly stood in the kitchen and asked for the smell of jasmine. It was a favorite of hers and mine. And while for the most part, I do have a green thumb, I can't grow jasmine, mint or Boston ferns! Normally 3 of the easiest plants to grow.

As I was standing there, I got a very brief whiff of jasmine and knew that she was with me at that moment and she was there to comfort me.
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Yes maybe she was your grandmother. Just wanted to make you all realize that she is still there for you all. 😁

Thanks for sharing! 😊
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-12-04)
Hello Angel and welcome to YGS

Thank you for sharing your story about your Grandmother.

As Manafon1 stated, smell is the one of the most common ways a spirit can interact with the living.
I currently live in my parents old house and the one I grew up in.
My father had his own bathroom on the lower level and whenever he would shave and shower the bathroom and a small area right next to the bathroom would have a very distinct smell. He used Old Spice and the air would smell like wet mildewed Old Spice. You would just have to smell it because its hard to describe.
My wife and our daughters moved in shortly after he passed.
For about the first year after we moved in that smell would suddenly fill the air when I was in the area. Very Very strong with no mistaking it. It would last about 30 seconds and fade away quickly.
Its been several years since it last happened.

Once on the other side of death sending the memory of a smell that was associated with them is one of the easiest things they can learn.
I think that is why it is such a common way for them to let us know they are around.

Thanks again and hope to hear more from you
Randy
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-12-03)
Hi Elemental Angel--It does indeed seem like your grandmother was coming to pay all of you a subtle visit. I don't think she necessarily wanted in on your mom's conversation but just to let you all know she was "stopping in".

I experienced something very similar several years ago after my mother in law passed away. In that case the scent was lilac. When a spirit pays a visit one of the most common ways is through scent. Scent and sound are the most common, followed by visual apparitions of various complexity. Just take comfort that you grandmother was thinking of you and your mother!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: