You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mother-in-law Talks To Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Mother-in-law Talks To Ghosts

 

This situation centers on my mother-in-law, who happens to be Vietnamese. Although it doesn't directly affect me, I might have had an experience that's related to her.

Just a brief background on my in-laws. My wife and her family came over from Vietnam in the early 90s. I'm not very close to my mother-in-law. Partly because she speaks limited English, but also because she's not a social person. She doesn't own a driver's license. She spends most of the day in the gardens around her house. In fact, my wife's parents own two properties. My mother-in-law lives in one house, while my father-in-law lives in the other. The houses are next to each other. I always assumed it was because they're different types of people, who don't always get along with one another. But as it turns out, there's more to it than that.

My wife and father-in-law told me that my mother-in-law often uses an Ouija Board to talk to ghosts. My father-in-law said she usually does it at night. She likes her privacy when she does it and doesn't like it when he comes over to her house. But he also told me he's not comfortable going over there at night. As he puts it, he doesn't feel good.

He has also said that she talks to her parents often. Both passed within the last 5 years. He doesn't get involved with what she's doing, but he hears her laughing occasionally, like they're talking about old times. I guess he finds it creepy, but he also acknowledges that she has some type of gift that enables her to do that.

I have not talked to my mother-in-law about any of this. Most of my information comes from her husband. But I have no reason to doubt what he says.

How this might relate to me is as follows. Their houses are on the same corner block. But another house sits between them. Basically my in-laws can walk to each other's home, because they removed the fence that separates their properties. But on the corner sits another house that they don't own. An older gentleman lived there and I actually spoke to him once. He came over from Europe a long time ago. He told he bought his house with cash and he was proud that he never had to take out a loan to buy anything. He also avoided using credit cards. He was a decent guy by all means.

My mother-in-law wished he would put his house up for sale one day, so she could buy it and own all three properties. But that never happened.

Anyway, one day my family and I were visiting them. I happened to walk into my mother-in-law's backyard. She had a small rose garden planted there. I noticed her neighbor looking over the fence into her garden from the sidewalk, not his house. He noticed me and said, "It's beautiful." I agreed with him, but didn't get into a conversation with him. Then I went off to find my family.

It wasn't until later that something strange occurred to me. My father-in-law told me a few months earlier that his neighbor had passed away, due to a heat attack. But it was the same guy I had seen on the sidewalk. I asked my father-in-law who was living next door to him now. He said it was family members of the guy who used to live there.

I can't say for sure, but I might have seen a ghost that day without realizing it. I do know their neighbor was happy when they moved in. He thought they were kind, quiet people. And he was fond of my mother-in-law's garden. My thought is this, since she tends to speak to people who have passed, could it have attracted her neighbor back?

I'm not the type of person to think that everything unexplained is a ghost. But every once in a while I come across odd experiences like this. I've had enough of them to understand that some people just seem to be prone to this type of thing happening. I guess I'm one of them. It's not all the time, but I do notice it occasionally.

Anyway, these aren't the types of topics you can bring up with just anyone. I prefer to share them here, with people who have a better understanding of where I'm coming from. I wonder about them, but usually in silence. I don't want to make others uncomfortable.

Other hauntings by Always-Wondering

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Always-Wondering, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
Hi Red-Wolf

I was always taught that Ouija Boards were part of the occult. I've never used one. My wife did once in college. She claimed it answered questions.

My mother-in-law is a strange person in general. She isn't interested in being social, but she likes to talk to spirits. I agree that can be problomatic. I believe it can lead to dark entities harassing you.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-18)
Wondering

I have to agree with lady-glow and Tweed that it may be the spirit of the man who has passed away.
If you have children or are going to have children please don't allow them near the Ouija Board. They are not toys, as some people treat them.
If your mother in-law is so sensitive why does she need a Ouija Board? You are opening a portal and you never know what will come out of it, especially if she doesn't shield herself and her house.

Regards
Red
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-09)
Always Wondering, sorry I called you 'Kindly' before. That's the second time I've mistakingly called someone by another's name on here this week. No idea what's up with me doing that.😕
Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-09)
Thanks Lady Glow and Tweed,

My father-in-law jokingly says that his wife doesn't like to go out much. She doesn't need the company of other people, because she talks to those who've passed.

I didn't know what to make of it at first. I grew up in a Christian home and the teaching there was, talking to spirits was considered part of the occult. And we weren't supposed to dabble in the occult. But I've come to realize now that not all cultures view life the same way.

Besides that, I occassionally come across paranormal phenomena myself, so I know there's more going on around us than just the physical world.

I have not seen her neighbor again. But I always wonder if I will come across somebody I don't know, when I visit her place. Maybe her property attracts people who have a need to speak to the living. I imagine it can be frustrating if you want to talk to someone, but they can't see or hear you. You might seek out somebody who can.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-09)
Hi Kindly,

I found this fascinating as well. It's hard to say if he was a ghost, that's frustrating, but it seems very likely.
I had a very similar experience with my art teacher's husband. She was into talking to ghosts too, and I still wonder, years after the fact, if I did indeed see him. Just like Lady Glow suggested, I've also wondered if he had a twin. I intend to share that experience one day.
I think with your mother in law's neighbour, the reason you question if he was really a ghost is because everything seemed so normal and unparanormal, not a real word I know. Point being sometimes with experiences like these you've just got to throw your hands up and go 'alright, I can't explain that'.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
Fascinating experience.
It would be interesting to know if your mother-in-law talks to her old neighbor since he passed away but, I guess, asking her is out of the question.
Or perhaps the good old man is only following his routine as when he was alive and going for a stroll in the neighborhood. We cannot be sure that, after death, the souls have to go to a specific place with a no return ticket.
...another possibility would be for his twin brother to have moved to the house! 😜

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy reading your stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: