You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Boy In The Window

Real Ghost Stories

The Boy In The Window

 

I've been browsing through this site for a few months and I finally decided to make my own account. As this is my first story, I'll start with my first ghost sighting. It's a bit short, but it was an important moment for me.

Starting from the time I was about 7 years old (my brother was 5), we would go to our grandparents' house almost every weekend. We loved and looked forward to spending time with our Abuela (spanish word for grandma. My family is Puerto Rican) and Abu (abbreviation of Abuelo, which is the spanish word for grandpa), along with our aunt, Titi (changed spanish word for aunt, which is tia, who never married and lived with our grandparents.

When I was around 7 or 8 years old, my brother and I were in my aunt's car, which was still parked in our driveway. She'd come to pick us up on a Friday night, like she usually did.

Just as my aunt was pulling out, I looked up and caught sight of a red-haired boy in the very top window of our house. I saw several things wrong with this. First of all, there was no red-haired kid in our family, as we all look pretty Latino with our dark hair and tan skin. This boy was pale and white. Second of all, how was he at that window? The top window is sort of half-circle shaped and very high up. About ten feet, maybe more. Third, his clothing looked strange. Sort of early 1900's.

As I was thinking of this, my aunt said (in Spanish, but I'll translate) "Look, your dad is waving goodbye!" She clearly saw the kid too. Confused, I said (in Spanish, but I'll translate again) "That's not my dad. How would he reach that high, anyway?" I'm sure my aunt knows what her little brother looks like and that wasn't him.

After that, we were all quiet. My aunt drove away and the incident was not mentioned afterwards.

The whole thing lasted less than a minute, but it was my first sighting, and even though it was mild, it has left an imprint on me.

Thank you for reading. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mythem, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-03)
Mythem,

I hope you do continue to post your encounters and experiences here.I'm definitely interested in them.

Good point, I to was a shy little girl, but with all my experiences as a child I had to become braver than brave!

Thanks for sharing this
Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
mythem (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-01)
Blueraven- Of course! The influenza! I'd never thought of that. One more thing to research, I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Mythem
Blueraven (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-31)
Hello mythem, I live in Utah as well... And yes, there are many cases in western U.S. History where families were suddenly and violently attacked and/or killed (both native and caucasian). I can only imagine the terrible residual negative energy lingering from such a horrible event!

Having said that... You mentioned the boy's clothing looked to be from the early 1900's. Children from that era could, of course, die from any number of things. However, while walking through older cemeteries it's heartbreaking to see how many children died from the flu of 1918. There are rows after rows of tiny graves. I've seen where entire families with 6 or more children all died within a single week.

It's just one possibility among many, but 1918 was a very bad year, especially for the children.
mythem (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-30)
Spiritwaiting- I was very surprised at seeing a random kid in a window, so it never really occurred to me to wave back. I was always a shy little girl anyway. That child ghost your daughter saw sounds pretty scary! I've always wondered if experiences like that are meant to scare us. Maybe the little girl genuinely wanted to play?

Again, thanks to every one who's commented! It means a lot to me and you guys make me (and many others, I'm sure) want to stick around on YGS.

Thanks again for the help,
Mythem

mythem (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-30)
Jessicqqqq- I always thought my aunt just didn't see him very well, but she might have actually seen my dad, not the little boy. I think I will ask her!

Thanks so much,
Mythem
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-30)
Even try Google searching the address to see if you find anything interesting. I agree with Manafon1! I'd do some research or ask your aunt what she meant by that!
mythem (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2016-12-29)
Augusta- I was aware of these things, as I belong to a certain religion which settled here in Utah, but for some reason I'd never considered my red-haired boy to be a victim of that. I feel a bit foolish now. Thank you for pointing that out! I think I will do some research on the land my house was built on. And since my city is pretty close to Salt Lake City (most of the religious hullabaloo was centered there), I think you may be right.

Thanks so much to all of you,
Mythem
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-29)
Mythem,

I probably would have smiled and waved back, even knowing the child was no one you knew.

Reminds me of a child ghost my daughter described to me, one evening while she lay in her bed trying to sleep.

The little girl had red curly hair, she said she had blue and green eyes, but the whites were green not white. She said to her"lets play".
My daughter ran from her room after she realized she didn't know this little girl.

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-29)
I agree with Manafon1 - and given that the house was in Utah, there was a great deal of religiously motivated violence during the 1800s in that area in addition to violent skirmishes between white settlers and Native Americans. Sadly, children were often included in the violence. Children were also vulnerable to the miriads of diseases of the era that accounted for just a fraction of the dangers that plagued settlers along the trail West.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-29)
mythem,
Just my two cents worth... But it isn't only a building that can be 'haunted' but the grounds on which it was built. It's possible that the house was built over/on the area a long ago structure stood.
Then again, it's also possible it 'hitched in' along with some item picked up at a yard sale or such.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2016-12-29)
mythem--I didn't realize how recently the house referred to in your story was constructed. There are reports of ghosts "migrating" (for lack of a better term) to a nearby location if the house they have previously appeared in, or "haunted", has been torn down. I remember reading a very interesting case of a house that was built in the 1980s, as part of a residential neighborhood, where a Civil War (American) apparition was seen multiple times in the upstairs hallway. Now that would be a surprise for somebody getting a midnight snack!

The location of this house was near a building that had been torn down that at one time had served as a hospital during the Civil War. It seems this Civil War ghost just moved to a new location. With this in mind it is quite possible that the little red haired boy you witnessed wearing clothes from an earlier era could have been doing the same thing. Maybe do a little research and see what might have been on the property before the house you were living in was constructed.
mythem (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-29)
Manafon- No, I'm afraid I don't know the history of the house, but I'ts fairly new. Maybe late nineties-early 2000s. I too have wondered if the boy was a past resident, but why would a nineties kid be wearing 1930s clothes? That's what always stumps me. I forgot to add that my brother doesn't recall seeing the window kid. But my dad's side of the family has always been sensitive. Maybe it was just my aunt and I?

Once again, anyone that can offer any advice or information-thanks in advance. This little apparition has had me wondering for years.

Thanks so much,
Mythem
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+6
7 years ago (2016-12-29)
Hi mythem--Nice account. Most ghost encounters are short incidents much like your first experience with an apparition. It's fantastic that your aunt witnessed the red haired boy too.

You wrote that the incident was never mentioned again. That's too bad but do you know any of the history of the house? Seems quite possible the apparition of the boy was a one time resident. Thanks for sharing your well told account.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: