You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

The Basement

 

I was always interested in ghosts even as a kid. I am not sure why. I liked ghost stories, and loved to hear about other people's stories, and eventually had my own story. I have had quite a few as a teen/adult and I hope to put them on here. However, my experiences never started until we lived in a certain house and I was a teenager. I believe there really is/was something in this house. My family still owns this house, but it is being rented. If the renters move out and do not buy it, I hope I can go investigate it.

This house was outside of one of Montana's major cities about 20 miles. I don't really feel comfortable to share the town right now. I was 15 when I moved in, and like I said before I had never had any experiences prior. I remember looking at the house before we bought it, and being excited because it was the first time I was going to get my own room. Prior I had always had to share with my sister. I was the oldest out of 3 in my family. I have a sister and a brother.

To give you an idea of how this house was set up (this will be important in other stories). There was a basement. The basement had one bedroom on the right as you went down the stairs, furnace room on the left and a hallway. Then next there was a storage room on the right, laundry room on the left, and a larger open room at the very end that had a fireplace. This was not a nice basement you wanted to hang out in. It was unfinished (cement walls/floor). It was cold (even when the fireplace was running). I almost wanted the basement room because I wanted a waterbed and I loved the wood and built in closets, drawers, and dressers, but I love daylight. That was the one finished room in the basement and someone had taken time to do a nice job in it. There was one window, but it looked under the porch of the house. Again, it was cold, and I hate being cold and like daylight so I never took that room and I am so glad I did not.

The main floor had 3 doors you could come into the house from. There was a room called "the hot tub room" (it had a hot tub). It had 2 entrances in that room. One to the back yard and one from the front of the house. I think originally it might have been a garage because there was no heat in this room until my dad installed a fireplace. Then to the right 3 steps and that took you in the kitchen. From the kitchen landing was how you got to the basement, the kitchen was open to the dining room and there was a set of French doors that could be used to go outside. That was open to the living room area with a couple steps from there to a bathroom and two main floor bedrooms. Then there was a door from one side of the living room that led up a set of stairs. There was a bathroom there (it was a storage area my dad converted to a bathroom) and my bedroom. My bedroom was almost like two rooms. After you got up the stairs, you had to go right to go in the bathroom or left and go down an "open" hallway. It had built in bookshelves that were about 4.5 feet high. They had to be there or a railing would have to be installed because the stairs were right there. Then there was an open room. Not very big. I put my dresser in there. Then there was a door and that opened to the main bedroom where I put my bed and desk.

We moved into this house in January. My first experience had me coming home from school. It didn't look like my dad was home as his pickup was gone. I let myself in the "hot tub room" and went to go in the kitchen. I heard voices downstairs, talking and laughing, I was sure I heard my dad but it sounded like more than 2 people. This was probably the first time I had been in the house alone. I called down the stairs, "Dad? Dad I'm home." The voices stopped. The lights were off in the basement, but I didn't give it much thought being that it was day time. I waited there expecting to see my dad's face or hear him call back to me. He didn't. The voices started up again. At this time I started to think about what I should do. Now this was early 90's. We didn't have cell phones. I wondered if I should go outside and wait for my dad, grab a cordless phone, or call 911. What if someone got in the house and they were down there and they heard me? I was close to a door to get out. As I stood there listening to the voices (and there was no TVs or radios in the basement), I tried calling to my dad again. "Dad?" The voices stopped. I don't know how long I stood there waiting, but I remember hearing the talking again but it sounded like just a couple people. I could never make out anything they said. Finally I figured I would go into the rest of the house because I was close to being able to get out of the other doors if I needed, and maybe there was a radio on down there. I did later check for that, and there were no radios down there. That's when this incident bothered me. I remember being so relieved when I saw my dad pull into the driveway.

I remember telling him, I thought I heard you talking when I got home. It must have been the wind. He asked where. I told him basement. He went to the basement probably to put more wood in the wood stove more than anything. Although, I remember him saying nothing was down there. At first this experience didn't really register with me as being anything until more things happened to me in that house. Since this is so long, I'm going to end it for now. However, as I have more time I am going to publish some of my other stories. There really is/was something in that basement because a couple more stories involve it.

Other hauntings by Kest

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-31)
Bibliothecarius, I am very upset someone would take my work. I will see what I can do about getting it removed. It is upsetting. Thank you for calling it to my attention.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-30)
Greetings, Kest.

While researching a couple of cases of plagiarism, Manafon & I found this story reprinted without any mention of you or of YGS on "tumblr." Look through the archive (trueghoststories.tumblr.com/archive) to see if any others have been taken.

Best,
Biblio.
trentinray (3 stories) (67 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-03)
Kest-thank you for sharing! I am curious why so many people can hear these conversations but nobody can make out what is said! I assume it has something to do with frequency and the veil between the spirit world and ours. But it would be nice to get some more ideas/info on that. Isn't the year built supposed to be on the deed to the house? There should be some outlet that would have some info on that. Again thanks for sharing!
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
The house is very old. It is so old in fact that the county was unable to tell us the age of it. It was definitely added onto quite a few times, however no one seems to know what was the original structure and when this structure was built. I did hear more voices. I still do hear voices, that might be another story. However, the voices I hear now are always at night. When I was younger, I thought it was the TV but the sound has never really left.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-01)
Kest,

This very same thing has happened to me. I submitted my story and it's called "Voices" but I don't think it's been uploaded yet. And just like you, it sounded as if they were speaking English however, my brother and I couldn't make out anything they were saying. The voices were also coming from our basement.

Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your happenings.
bigchicken (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-31)
I have had a very similar experience at a friends house. Thanks for sharing!
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-31)
I'm looking forward to more, Kest.

Good house description, btw.

I've heard voices, too, but not recently. It was a lone occurrence. I'm wondering if I imagined it...
agatha23 (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-31)
I too, have heard two people talking in my current house in the basement. Except they were whispering nearby and I could not make out any words. I thought somebody broke in by way of the basement door from the outside. Very scary. Other times I go to do laundry, and hear nothing. Maybe they come and go? Our house is 93 years old.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: