You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The In-Betweens You See in the Corners of Your Eyes

Real Ghost Stories

The In-Betweens You See in the Corners of Your Eyes

 

When I was about twelve or thirteen years old, I began to see something. A short man, about four and a half feet tall, with a burlap vest and long pants torn off just below the knee. He had the proportions of a midget but the way he moved did not resemble a midget's, they were the movements of a proportional human.

I had been seeing something out of the corners of my eyes for quite a while by this time, but nothing so drastic as this. I was wandering into my parents' bathroom to grab something but about five or six feet before I reached the door, I stopped and saw him, out of the corner of my eye, leaning against the door way with his arms crossed and one leg crossed over the other. His stance was ominous but not evil or maybe I just couldn't detect if it was. Now usually he would appear in places at different times and then just vanish but this time he lingered. I stood there frozen, not out of fear but bewilderment, as he ran abnormally fast right through my direct line of sight and then took a sharp turn which lead him right next to me, no further than a few inches from my face. Suddenly he began to quickly mutter something in a loud whisper but I couldn't understand what he was saying. When he was done, he paused for a moment then vanished. Even though he was in the corner of my eye, I should have been able to pick up on some distinguishing characteristics, but all I could see was a nose, eyes, mouth, and shaded face that I can not elaborate on.

This incident didn't trouble me in the slightest, but I did think about it quite often. After that he didn't appear to me again until I was about seventeen years old. He would once again only appear in my peripheral vision, then vanish even before I would attempt to look directly at him. I kept this event secret due to the fear of ridicule, but I decided to converse with a friend about it a year ago when I was nineteen. Even though he was a good friend, I expected an awkward response bur received quite the opposite. He had had a similar experience with a very tall figure, about seven feet tall, who wore a burlap jacket instead of a vest. He had seen the figure on the side of the road while traveling back to his home state of Alabama and I am since more open about the subject.

The last time I saw my figure was in mid to late August of the present year 2007. I was driving home from work at about 10:30 PM and there were no houses on the strip of road I was on and no other cars either, so there was no other source of light to distort my headlights. He walked across the road, about eight feet in front of my car, at a slow pace but he seemed to be moving at the same pace as my car because I was still moving, but I did not get any closer to him. He walked all the way across the road to the opposing side and once again vanished.

I am now almost twenty years old and it is late November and I still continue to see him occasionally, I don't know who or what he is, but I have heard them called In-Betweens because they most often appear in doorways and other passages. If anyone has had a similar experience or knows any source of information on the subject please contact me!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bobherriges, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

kitkatkitty (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Just inquiring, you must have been quite short too for the man with the proportional size of a midget to speed around and end up face to face with you?
ghostboi (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
this my friend is in between angel sent to guard you in between angels arent suppose to be looked at directly that's why you only seen him in the corner of your eye don't worry about
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-17)
I am about DYING of curiosity here. Good thing I am not a cat, I guess.
Good point, FRAWIN, I honestly did not think of "the wee folk" as fairies, pixies or elves never occurred to me. See why I love this place! I can use all the help I can get!
I thought I should add something as after reading my reply it sounded odd. I did not mean to not give a Shimmer a sock (sorry, I warp into Harry Potter's crew sometimes while trying to describe these guys). What I meant was to not offer it a free pass on "The White Light Express" or anything to that effect. What we, as people would consider as thoughtful to a Spirit, a Shimmer would take offensively. He does not WANT anything from you. Do not offend him by GIVING him anything.
They do change clothing, supposedly. If they wear anything other than burlap, they are sometimes called Trolls. Get the picture? Therefore, as long as he is wearing burlap and you do not give him anything, he's there for peace. And Peace alone. Thank you again.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-17)
Hello Bobherriges, This is a very interesting story. I am sure that you called them The In-Betweens for a lack of a better name or because that`s what someone else called them. I think that WhiteBuffalo probably has a better handle on this than anyone else that has posted. If I was in your position, I would certainly look into it and I would also consider what the Irish called "the wee folk" because it does sound like a "hobbit". Hey, if we are going to believe in ghosts and demons then the "Fairy Realm" isn`t that big of a leap of faith.

FRAWIN 😐
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-14)
Bob?
Where in Michigan are you? Or where was this going on rather? I have family in the Upper Peninsula and while I was talking to one of them (They live up in the Indian Community near Leggs Inn) found that he sees Shimmers out there all the time. Of course, being on Indian ground could have a profound impact on what is seen, but then we have already established here on other stories that entities do not have to come with the house or the land necessarily.
It is his belief that when someone sees one of these creatures it is not a bad thing. Their whole purpose is to bring you peace. Maybe you were going through a rough time and needed encouragement? Maybe your family had something going on? I do not know. But he says that Shimmers are the peacekeepers WHILE DRESSED IN BURLAP. But please, please do not give him a gift. When presenting him with something worldly you will offend him and his entire mannerism will change. He is a peacekeeper, but he is NOT of this world. A good analogy he gave me was to think of the Amish. They live among us, but are separate by hundreds of years.
I hope you read this, I am curious to know if you are in the same area. Just an update would be great. Thanks again.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-05)
Hi Bob. This is a very interesting story! All new for me. I have never heard of anything like this except for in a movie. I think that WhiteBuffalo has a pretty good idea as to what it could be. Atleast for now anyway. Keep us updated and try, if you already haven't, to do some research on this being that is haunting you. He obviously is trying to tell you something that you are not getting and that's why he is still around. Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-05)
Ummm, a little far fetched thought on my part, but it may be applicable here.
What about Shimmers? The Old Ones describe these as rapid moving creatures of indistinguishable features who can change from human form into another creature. In today's world, some Shimmers may have looked like aliens or "house elves". This is why I am being very specific as to the movements being made by your little guy, Bob.
In the Days of Old there were many reports of Shape Shifters and Shimmers among The People. Eventually, those with the Power disguised it so as to keep peace amongst those of other races as it caused fear. I am under the impression that a variety of a "witch hunt" occurred, therefore the need for going into hiding was imperative for survival.
Many, in the ranks of The People, have carried this secret to the grave and have appeared on this side of the Land of Many Summers as Shimmers. Shape Shifters are harder to distinguish on this side, as apparently we just assume they are animals.
I was still in the process of fully looking into the Shimmers after reading your story, and therefore my thoughts were incomplete on my comment, but in trying to figure this out, it may be applicable. Just another possibility in the realm of the unknown though. I hope this gave you something else to think about. Thanks again.
spindle (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-05)
hmmm, a suggestion that I haven't seen given, is perhaps it is a "Shadow Person"?
I know, usually "Shadow People" are all black, but, not always from what I've read (I can't be 100% positive on that, since the only ones I've personally seen have been pitch black all over) but its possible that it could be one, this is only my guess as to what it might be (if it isn't in some way all in your head, which, not to sound rude or anything, is all too possible). But, it does sound a lot like the "Shadow People" that I've seen (minus the detail) the ones I've seen, I felt the same way, I couldn't really move or speak when I saw them, I'd only see them in my periphreal(I know, its spelled wrong >.<) vision, and out of the ones I've seen, almost all of them have been seen in doorways or entrances/exits. So, it DOES fit the description pretty accurately, so, there's my guess based on what I've researched, and seen personally, of course, I'm always willing to admit that I'm wrong, which is why I'm only labeling it as a guess, if you've got further information you would like to share about this, feel free to email me, I'll also be willing to share experiences of my own, not all of which are paranormal, but some of the UFO sightings I've seen if you're interested. (that applies to anyone who is interested) :)
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
Hi Bob, This is a puzzle! You are so sure about his wearing burlap, yet it is difficult to distinguish his facial features close up, as he is screaming in your face, etc.
You must have felt hesitant to talk about this, but I am glad you did. Beings are able to change how the appear to us, somewhat. And this being maybe doing this for you in order to be more acceptable.
You have a lot of comments already, so the only option I can offer that is different is that this may be an ancestor, it is possible that this being is neither negative or positive, and just remains with your family for purposes unknown to people.
There is soo much people, even the most experienced, just don't understand about unliving.
PS Your term 'inbetween' is just fine. Obviously all of these words that we put on the paranormal are our handles and not what they call themselves, however, WB brings up a good point; as a cinematic reference it may undermine your credibility in the eyes of many.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-03)
Ok, I can see how a highway ramp could be considered a "doorway". In the same tone of the story, that would make a lot of sense, actually. I'm still trying to picture though... His movements, are they "normal" movements or "rapid fire" movements? (See why I used those analogies previously? I am afraid I can not describe how I think you saw this without the use of something that perhaps most of us have seen, and that would be television.) I seriously am trying to picture this, not belittle you or your experience in any way.
I find this fascinating, really. But I have a compulsion that my children hate. If I do not know an answer, or I do not understand something, I search, question, and research until I can find an answer that I am comfortable with. Please forgive me if you did not read what I commented in the same tone in which I wrote it. I meant no harm.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-03)
Hey Bob,
i have heard of something similar to this but not by the name of "in betweens" to be honest I can't really remember what they are called because it has been ages since I last heard of one. I do know that when ever you see one is because there is some kind of treasure hidden whether it be a treasure to someone in your family or to you but there is someting of value to someone hidden somewhere and usually it is where they appear. Have you lived in this house for a long time? Or is this house new? And do you see it in the same place? Or different places? When it happens again try to maintain your cool and try to talk to it. You might find that it is trying to tell you something and not so much to scare you!
Good luck ❤
Bobherriges (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-01)
im going to attempt to answer some of the questions but I'm not sure how many. First off I'm not necessaraly saying that they are "In-Betweens". I can't remember if that was what they were really called or who told me about it but someone told me that he had heard of apparitions, creatures, or what ever you want to call them that appear in doorways and other similar areas. My friend who saw the tall figure can't remember where he saw it exactly it it may have been near and on or off ramp on the expressway which could be viewed as some sort of entrance or exit way. Again I am not sure I am merely trying to answer your questions as well as my own perhapse. Next I just wanted to say that I can understand your guys/girls visualizing him as a hobbit or something but he resembles them only in stature. As I said I could not make out what he looked like exactly but Bilbo is definitly not a comparison. And I know I sound naive but I know nothing about Robinson Caruso at all. Lastly I have tried to communicate with him but only when I cannot see him. The reason for this is because when he is present I sort of entranced or frozen. I am completely aware of my surroundings and feel normal physically as well as mentally but seem to lose my abilty to respond in a timely manner. Is sort of feels like when someone is talking a mile a minute when your mind has tripped about five steps back and it takes some time to catch up. Sorry for the vaugeness but that is the best I can describe it. Thank you for you comments.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-01)
I had to look this one up because it caused more questions for me than answers.
You stated that on your first remembered vision of your little guy, he got within inches of your face and whispered in an urgent, but foreign tongue and then vanished. The description you gave was on the line of the horror flicks that speed up a frame to make a leprechaun run at you while you stand still. (I am not trying to offend you, I merely ask as I am trying to picture this.) Is this how that happened, or is my imagination not catching up with your words?
Also, this friend that you finally confided in, HIS guy was a giant in comparison, yet they both wore burlap clothing much like "house elves" do. Even though, by your description they supposedly stay in doorways and other passages, both of these beings (yours and your friends) were both out on a public road.
The term In-Betweens in my search is a term used to describe "drawings between key frames which help to create the illusion of motion..."
The In-betweens, of course, was also the name of a music group of young people between the ages of 13 and 15 years old, formed in Dunedin in 1967. (Saints above! I think I just dated myself there!) They had to end their music careers when work permit laws changed and they were not afforded the luxury of all night gigs anymore in 1979.
Unfortunately, I can not find any more information on these BEINGS called In-betweens. If you have any more information, could you please post it as I am having a hard time understanding? I feel lost. Thank you for the story.
Excaliburhope (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-30)
Could be a parallel version of yourself, following you around. He probably thinks the same thing about you from his plane of existance. I would call it a crossover experience to another existance where you may be him and he is you.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
I have never heard of the,"In-Betweens". I also have been studying everything from, demonology to angel sightings and this is a first for me. I do not think it is a Jin either. I have no explaniton for your experience, which intrigues me.
Please keep this board updated with any more activity. May your Higher Power protect you and keep you safe. ❤
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
My theory is that it is a jinn (Shane’s nature spirit) that has hung around you/your family for most of your life. Since you’re not scared of him, most likely you are familiar with him since early childhood (before you were 12), only you may not remember him too clearly. Maybe he’s a protector of sort or is trying to communicate something to you. Have you tried talking to him?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Are you calling these sighting the in-betweens as a way of explanation? I am a bit confused. Hpwever, whatever it is is you are experincing appears to mean you no harm and appears to intend to stick around, it has been several years since your first indicated sighting.

God Bless! 😁
Cirdan (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Thanks for the story, it was good. When I see things in the corner of my eyes it's normally shadows that hides/flees when I turn my face against them. But I have never heard that you can see them in details, but I don't know.
If you still see him now and then, you should try to communicate, maybe he wants to communicate with you?
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
Hey, Bob. Like Shane, this is something I personally haven't heard of either, but it kind of reminds me of the shadows, when you look directly at them they flee or just disappear. I've seen shadows but they never have any features, they are just dark shadows. This is pretty odd.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
I have been doing paranormal research for a very long time and this has got to be the first time I have heard of the in betweens. Now I am not claiming that the don't exist I am just saying that, that is a new one on me. At first I thought about nature spirits, but then, as I re read your description it almost sounded like you were describing a cross between Bilbo Baggins and Robinson Caruso(sp). Not sure what to make of this one. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: