You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: What Was It About The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

What Was It About The Basement

 

What is it with basements? I have decided maybe the best way to tell all that happened to me in my parent's house when I was a teen, was to take the house level by level since I experienced something on every single level of that house. The first story I wrote talked about the voices I heard and my very first experience in that house. I am going to tell about all the things that I remember happening in that basement.

First of all, when I came home from school that day and heard the voices that wasn't the only time I heard voices from the basement. There were more times. It got to a point where if I had to go to the basement for anything I would mentally prep myself. If I was home alone, I might start by turning on the light at the top of the stairs and yell, "I'm coming down now!" Then, I'd start down the stairs and while I was going think of some song to sing at almost the top of my lungs or I'd hum very loudly. I had started doing this because of the voices. When I did this, I heard them less. As far as I know, no one else in my family heard the voices. However, my brother and sister are both hearing impaired so they wouldn't have noticed anyway. My mom only went downstairs to do laundry, and she never mentioned anything, but once told me she wasn't much of a believer in ghosts. She said she believed in them some but certainly not in our house. My dad did have an experience I will include later in this story also.

We had a little dog when I lived there. We had her ever since she had been a puppy. She was supposed to be my dog, but she attached herself more to my dad. If my dad was not home she was happy to follow me around. We called her Weenie. Weenie didn't like the basement. In fact, I go so far as to say that I think Weenie was scared of the basement. If I went to the basement, Weenie stopped at the top of the stairs and stared at me. She would put her tail in between her legs, and put her head down as she stared into the basement. She'd wait until I came back upstairs and follow me around some more. There were a few times I picked Weenie up and carried her down the stairs with me. These might have been times that I needed extra courage. Weenie's body would stiffen up as we went down the stairs and as soon as I put her down, her tail would go between her legs and she'd head for the stairs to go up. I can remember her turning around to look at me a few times as she'd be running away. As soon as she got up the stairs, she'd stand there- tail between legs, head down, staring into the basement. It was kind of creepy. I never understood why she didn't want to be down there.

My dad had experience with Weenie acting strangely in the basement too. My dad was disabled from an accident working for the railroad and so he was home a lot. He would go downstairs and put wood in the wood stove or do some laundry. He talked about how Weenie wouldn't go downstairs with him either, and how when he put her down she'd run upstairs with her tail between her legs. He talked about how she shook. I never noticed shaking the few times I took her down. He said he'd call her and ask her what was wrong, but she'd only stand with her tail between her legs, head down, and refuse to come downstairs. Weenie didn't like the upstairs either and I am sure she will be mentioned when I discuss my numerous experiences there. He was telling me one time about how he was putting wood in the wood stove (it was so cold down there all the time), and he spun around with the poker in his hand because he swore someone was behind him. I don't consider this part of the voices, but maybe I should because he told me another time when he was in the basement he swore someone came in the house because he heard his name be called. He said he figured it was our neighbor across the road (it was a rural area, but we had a neighbor kind of across the road), and he yelled, "Yeah Lyle, I'm down here in the basement." He said he quickly finished throwing the wood in, and headed up the stairs talking the whole time only to find no one upstairs.

This is the scariest experience I had in the basement, technically I wasn't in the basement, but it involved the basement. I thought it was my mom at first. I was on the phone with a friend, and I was in the kitchen. It was night because I remember it was dark. There was light on in the living room but not the dining room or kitchen. I heard footsteps from the basement coming up the stairs, hit the top and go back down the stairs. I thought it was my mom doing laundry. I heard her go back down the stairs, and start back up. About this time I noticed the light wasn't on going down the stairs. That didn't make sense. Whatever it was hit the top step, and started back down. About that time I knew for certain it wasn't my mom and she wouldn't have come up dark steps anyway. I bent backward so I could look in the living room, and realize the entire family is in the living room watching TV. Whatever was in the basement had hit the bottom and was started back up to the top. I remember walking backward from the kitchen area, but making sure I could see the entrance where something would come from the basement. I hear whatever, hit the top step again and start back down. I went and sat at the dining room table and twisted myself so I could see the step. I stopped hearing it at that point and time, and never did see anything. Putting it down, it doesn't seem so scary, but at the time it certainly was. The steps still bother me but perhaps that's because the steps going upstairs are another story I will share when I tell about what happened in the upstairs of that home. I wish I had the courage to have turned on the lights and went and looked to see what was there, but like with most things in the basement there probably would have been nothing to see.

Other hauntings by Kest

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedBlackRosemama (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-15)
Never had basement before but sound scary. By the way I am hearing impaired too. Enjoy your story.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-14)
Kest- We are still experiencing things in my house. I am getting ready to submit an update to "The Southside Home Haunting". Just last night my 12 year old grandson had gotten up to use the bathroom (he said it was around 4am), and something "clunked" in the attic. Well... I will submit it maybe on Monday when YGS is accepting stories again.
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-14)
Agatha23 I think I have read your story about your house. You had some voices issues I think.

Enlightened1959 I will go check your story out. My stories about this house are in no way done, so there will be more! I am just getting them down as I have time that I am in the mood to write and not at work!
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-14)
Hello Kest,

Um, yes it does seem scary! I'm at work right now and it's about 4:45am and the whole time I was reading your experience I was on the edge of my seat! I kept thinking something was standing behind me! I had to get up and walk around for a few minutes before commenting.

I look forward to reading more of your stories. I have also had similar experiences. Read "The Southside Haunting" and you will understand what I am talking about.

Thanks for sharing!
agatha23 (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-13)
Thanks for a great story! I've had numerous experiences as well as other family members in our current basement. This house is 93 years old and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but all the same it is scary. I go down to do laundry and would swear somebody was behind me. Maybe it's just my imagination. The power of suggestion is really strong, so this could just be in my mind.
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-12)
Thank you! I had experiences on every single level of that house. Most of my experiences at the time didn't really scare me when they happened, and only scared me after I had time to process and think through them. The footsteps going up and down the stairs that time were the one thing that has bothered me about that basement the most.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-12)
Kest, I have no answers for you but I do want to say that you are wrong when you say, "Putting it down, it doesn't seem so scary". It certainly seemed scary to me.

I am looking forward to your upstairs story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: