You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Horrible, Horrible Place

Real Ghost Stories

A Horrible, Horrible Place

 

This is something that happened to me when I was around nine - that's eight years ago. What's strange is that it scares me more now than I remember it did at the time. I live in an area that is literally half in England and half in Wales, and I went to a school in Wales. This experience took place at a sort of education activity centre, where we spent a few days doing things like hiking, trudging through streams, raft building and so on. My memories of this place are a bit foggy, and that may be because I hated it so much that I've tried to erase it from my mind. You see, I hate all these sporty activities (a lot), plus the fact that the complex was filthy and it was a really run down and unpleasant place to be.

Now this is the interesting part. There was something else there. On top off all the obvious dirt and it's miserable setting, there was something about this place that I couldn't see, but I could feel. Everywhere I went I just got this feeling of dread, it just felt so wrong in a way I find very hard to explain. I think at the time maybe I was too busy trying to survive walking in rainstorms and climbing mountains to worry about this feeling but it wasn't until my last day there when something actually happened.

I also feel I should mention that the reason I'm posting this now is because I happened to find some photos on the internet of the building, and it sent all the memories flooding back.

On the last morning of the trip I was in pretty good spirits because I knew we were finally getting out of there. We were preparing to get into a van that was taking us to some activity that required us all to be wearing this special kind of clothing. I remember nothing about what this activity was. For some reason I had to go back into the part of the building where these outfits were kept. I was on my own, while everyone else was waiting outside for the van. Here's what I remember about the room: it was small and compact, dimly lit and consisted of wooden benches against each wall with these red suits hanging up. There was a machine in one corner that made a loud humming noise, and a window, that looked out onto a dense wooded area. There were two doors, one went straight outside but it was always kept locked for some reason, and another went into the main part of the building where the dorms were.

So anyway, I was in there alone. I suddenly felt extremely hot and I remember having to sit on one of the benches for a minute because this strange feeling came over me. Then, I looked up at the window. I'm shivering as I write this but now I've remembered I cannot get this face out of my head. I saw a man with long hair and a hideous face. The reason this is on a ghost stories site is because this man did not look human, he looked dead. Then instantly, the face was gone, like one second it was there, then it just disappeared in a flash. I ran like hell down the corridors and out of the building feeling dizzy for the rest of the day.

One final detail I'd like to add is that on the bus home, I told one of my teachers and described the person. I don't remember her response but a boy sitting behind me (who was not one to make up stories) whispered to me, "I've seen it too."

So there you go. I'm sorry I can't remember every detail but this was quite a long time ago. I just wish I hadn't seen those photographs and been reminded of this awful place.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Soggy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
I have had a similar experience too! There was an antiques/rummage store that occupied the entirety of a two story 100 year old house in my neighborhood. Stuff was EVERYWHERE, floor to ceiling - everything only roughly organized, minimally lit (they didn't change burnt out light bulbs very often and the windows were mostly obscured by clutter) and very dusty. This older couple ran the place but you rarely saw them on any given visit - they haunted the business more than ran it. But I love antique odds and ends and this place was a trove of them so I would brave the dusty mirk whenever I could. The first floor was mainly household items, costume jewelry, books, records etc - the good stuff like vintage clothing was upstairs. But that wasn't all that was upstairs - I never saw the owners up there, never saw another customer in the shop during any visit... But I never felt on my own in that second story... Only desperately alone (i.e. Without back up... And clearly though inexplicably in need of it). There was *something* up there and it wasn't keen on guests - the atmosphere felt dreadfully heavy, hair would stand up, I felt watched... Particularly in the vintage clothing room where it was always coldest... From there, you could see across what had been a dining room through an interior window into what had been a small kitchenette - I always felt as though whatever it was was watching me through that window... And I knew exactly what it looked like, could 'see' him clear as day though I NEVER had the courage to turn around: a man, not quite human, definitely not alive but horribly animate, grizzled, bloodied and very angry, staring into me. A decade later, I was driving by the house where that business had been with a friend - she looked at the place and shuddered - I asked her what was wrong and she proceeded to describe to me visits she had made in years gone by to that same now defunct antiques store during which she had been effected by the exact same entity I had experienced... And she had actually turned around to see him grinning malevolently at her!
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-20)
Soggy! I really found your story cool and interesting.
The pictures online look creepy, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ghost or two lurking around that property. At least that is one experience you can put behind you:)

I wish you all the luck in the world! And, I hope you'll come back and tell us more stories, if there are any, in the future.
Soggy (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
I lived near Oswestry, and I meant my specific area is half England / half Wales, we had to travel around an hour to get to Rhos y Gwaliau.
Sutherland (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-17)
Interesting, however, one thing. Rhos-y-gwaliau, by Bala, isn't exactly "half in England and half in Wales". Chirk, a more border town, is about 50 minutes away.

If you don't mind me asking where'd you grow up. You don't have to say the exact town just nearby. Yr Wyddfa / Snowdonia has, after all, always been steeped in folklore about what wanders there.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-14)
Very strange and frightening!

Something similar happened to me once while driving. I saw a woman on a bench at a bus stop that had a face like you describe. She stared at me as I was driving and her face looked bloody and distorted like she was melting or grossly disfigured, but definitely bloody. I don't think she was alive. I continued driving, to this day get a bit nervous when I come upon people at bus stops and recall that face.
Soggy (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-14)
Yes, the place was called Rhosygwalia. There are a few photos of it online.
LTM1477 (9 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-13)
What is the place called? If you could tell me that would be very helpful.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: