You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Upstairs Room

Real Ghost Stories

My Upstairs Room

 

I have had a little bit of a hard time writing about my upstairs experience. Some of this comes from the fact that one of my stories was stolen and posted on another website. However, I am discovering that it seems it is very common for that to happen from "our" website here. In the end, I decided I didn't want to let it stop me.

The upstairs of the house was all mine. As a teenager that's a beautiful thing. Especially when I had to share a room with my sister for as long as I could remember. I was the oldest, but my brother was born when I was almost three, and I would guess that's when she and I started sharing. If you have followed my other stories, there was a really large closet or storage area my dad built into a bathroom at the top of the stairs on the right. Then you had to go left and make another sharp left turn to walk along kind of like a hall (so the stairs would have been to your left in the hall area if you were facing the bedroom). At this hall area you could see the stairs and a little bit of the main floor area if you looked over the side of a built in bookcase to keep anyone from falling over the edge. There were also two rooms upstairs connected by a door. In the first room area, I just put my large antique dresser and a few other odds and ends. It was a small space not even big enough for a bed (except maybe a twin size). I used all the bookshelf space as I was an avid reader. In my main large bedroom area I had my bed, stereo, phone, and a desk. The closet to store clothes was also in this area.

The upstairs was weird but never particularly scary. I only had one experience that unnerved me. First, no animal in that house was willing to be upstairs. I have talked about the animals of our house before not wanting to be in certain areas of the house, and the upstairs was no exception. I would bring the little dog, Weenie upstairs for company and she would leave me. A couple of times I "trapped" her with me by closing the door between the two room areas so she had to stay with me. She just looked sad. She'd sit facing the door and pretty much ignore me. This made me sad. I am an animal lover, and she was supposed to be my dog, but didn't want to spend time with me if I was upstairs. I would end up opening the door and she'd run all the way to the stairs. The way she ran to those stairs was very similar to how she ran to the stairs when she was trying to leave the basement, except she'd never look back at me and she'd just go to the main level. None of the cats were willing to sleep upstairs either.

So here's one thing that happened to me. At night I'd be ready to go to bed, in bed with the light off. I kept a nightlight on because without it, it was almost like there was no windows in the room. There were, but no light was coming in and I have never been a total blackness person. We are talking total blackness as in you can't see your hand in front of your face black. I'd feel an animal jump on the bed and walk around like they were looking for a comfortable spot. I would look to see who had decided to join me and there was no animal. This happened repeatedly. Many times even after I looked for the animal it still felt like one was walking on the bed anyway. It got to a point I stopped looking for an animal and referred to it as "Ghost Cat." Ghost Cat joined me numerous nights.

I had "warm spots" that made no sense. This only happened a couple times. I came upstairs to get ready for something and there'd be a spot that looked like someone was sitting on my bed. I always made my bed. There was a dip in it. The first time I just stood there watching it. After a few minutes of nothing I rushed over and touched the area. It was warm as if someone had been there. There was also a floral type scent that accompanied it. I can't say what kind of floral scent, just that it reminded me of flowers. The next time it happened, I sat next to the spot. It was warm again with the same floral scent.

Next, my radio was a source of interest. I worked really hard one summer and with one of my last paychecks bought a CD player. This was a big deal as CDs were becoming all the rage, and it felt like everyone had one but me. I am a huge music fan so every morning I had the radio on. When school started that fall, I turned off the radio I would make it all the way to the top of the stairs and the radio came back on. Figuring I somehow didn't get the button pushed all the way I returned to the room, turned it off. I walked back and got almost to the top of the stairs before it came back on. I went back to turn the radio off. I stood in front of the radio watching the little red power light fade out, I walked away, to the top of the stairs and the radio was back on. I turned it off and said, "I am going to be late. We can listen to music later." The radio stayed off. That happened more than once. It always ended if I mentioned listening to the music later. Eventually that did stop, and I didn't have to say we'd listen to music later. Maybe whatever it was knew we'd listen more later. I also think of this when I think of the main level and the odd thing I had happen with my daughter's toy in the crib. I would have considered it an electrical thing, but when I mentioned it to my dad saying we needed an electrician he reminded me the electrical had been completely redone when we moved in as it was out-of-date according to inspectors.

Then I'd hear footsteps coming upstairs at night. I always figured it was my dad coming upstairs to use the bathroom. It made no sense as the downstairs bedroom would be closer for him, but he told me he preferred the upstairs bathroom so I figured maybe he was coming to use it. I never heard the bathroom door close, never heard a flush. I got up once and from the doorway I could see the bathroom door - no one was there. I stopped checking after a while. I went through a bad case of insomnia once. My insomnia consisted of me waking up at exactly 3 a.m. I would eventually just get up because experience taught me that I would lay there until 6 a.m. And not sleep. This is the one unnerving time I had. I was up, I remember laying on the floor, listening to music and either writing or drawing. The footsteps come up the stairs. I thought maybe it was my dad (he sometimes had insomnia too), and I figured he heard me up because my room was directly above theirs. The footsteps got to the top, and went back down. If you read about the basement, this is very similar to what happened in the basement. Then they came back up, and went back down. I hoped it was the dog. I didn't turn on the light in the second half of the room, but I got to the doorway and watched. I would have seen someone's head if they were coming up those stairs. No head, but to the top and back down. I rushed over and looked down the side of the bookcase to see if maybe it was Weenie. No small dog. I ran back to my doorway because the footsteps were on the way back up. Nothing ever appeared. I shut the door in between the two rooms. That bothered me.

Final comment on the upstairs: my dad mentioned more than once, "Anything rolling around your room upstairs during the day?" Confused, I say, "Not that I know of. Why?" He replied, "Well I could have sworn someone was walking around up there. I even went up there, but no one was there." This happened more than once. He told me he'd been up to my room as he'd heard footsteps. If someone was upstairs walking around you knew it. He never found anyone. I even had it happen to me a couple of times when I was home alone and expected to find a pet. Nothing was ever there. That concludes what happened in my teenage home. I do have more stories, but they will focus on a different house.

Other hauntings by Kest

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-26)
Bibliothecarius,
Thank you so much for your comment! A lot of what you said makes sense. I might even know who the young woman is. I haven't been able to back up the claim because the road that the house is on is incredibly busy and there's usually at least 1 fatality per year on them. However, the realtor happened to tell my dad that the owner of the home before us had both his wife and daughter killed on the highway in a car wreck. I think I might have mentioned this in one of my stories, and after talking to my dad he said that the realtor was the one who told him of this. I am not sure, but I guess I think since I was a teen maybe she was the daughter. I am not sure of the age of the daughter or wife or what year this happened. I have asked around the valley with friends I still have, but not knowing exactly what year it happened has made it very hard to pinpoint the story. Also, I am not sure how long the guy owned the house because he had it rented when we bought it. What I do remember was that he was not willing to meet the new owners of the house. Part of me wondered if he knew his daughter was still there. Another part of me feels sad because I would think if I knew my child was there, I wouldn't leave.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-20)
Greetings, Kest:

Oddly enough, it was your cats' behavior which troubled me. Cats consider everywhere they see "theirs" and dislike being kept from a location. We have two indoor cats, and one of them went berserk when she finally made it past me up into the attic because there were no interior walls: she made confused yowling sounds while running in circles around the edges of our well-lit, clean attic. Her sister had gone into the basement a week earlier, but was very confused by the door swinging shut behind her, as the door is to the right --not straight ahead-- at the top of the stairs. Having a dog refuse to enter a space because the dog is aware that the area is off-limits (by the owner's instruction, by a bad experience, or by supernatural agency) is pretty normal; for a cat to do it, there is usually something *really* awry from the cat's point of view. The presence of a ghost cat would explain all of their behavior, as they'd be wandering into rooms that had been scent-marked by the ghost cat who would -in turn- react to their presence as violation of a clearly-stated prior claim on the territory.

The perfume of the lady who was apparently still living with you, considered in conjunction with her enjoyment of music and with her leaving warm spots where she had been sitting, would suggest a benevolent, sentient haunting because she was willing to defer listening to music later and she was -primarily- respectful of your wishes. However, she may have been lonely during the day, and her memories of her cat (here's where I depart from mainstream thinking into PURE SPECULATION) *may* have been strong enough to have stopped her cat from 'moving on' after its death. I do NOT think she'd have done this maliciously nor cruelly; human beings tend to have selfishness & jealousy mixed into our strongest loving relationships. Without any research on the property's history to determine if she was a lonely old lady or a single younger woman, it would be impossible to justify further speculation.

The staircase phenomenon, however, could be a separate issue entirely; it sounds residual to me. Perhaps I'm biased because I have needed to turn around to ascend or descend the stairs I had just used because I had left a vital implement on the other level of the house. I've also done this at work; I've got as far as the Keurig machine in the upstairs faculty room, only to discover I'm holding graded quizzes instead of my my coffee mug! This sort of behavior could be so ingrained into the mental activity of the staircase-spirit that the habit has continued post-mortem. That said, I'd like to point out that your dog did not like being upstairs, and quadrupedal dogs do not make the same sounds as bipedal people welking on the stairs, so you can very reasonably rule him out as a potential source for the repeated sound.

I may be off-base with the more speculative ideas I've presented here, so please let me know if you remember an incident which will refute these ideas.

Best,
Biblio.
alexandrapr369 (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
about your "Ghost Cat", if you smelled a floral scent is ok, it wasn't a bad "spirit cat"; bad smells are the ones you should be wary of like in my story.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Your story really creeped me out since I'm living by myself all alone. The "ghost" in your story doesn't seem to hurt or bother you which is a good thing. I hope I can read more of your experiences
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
I never considered a residual haunting, but now that you mention it maybe the stair ghost is residual. Maybe the cat is too. I never knew if it was a cat, the feeling of it just reminded me more of a cat. The interesting thing is once my husband and I married and stayed up in my old room together when visiting "ghost cat" has never visited. I never really minded "ghost cat."
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
I find it very interesting to hear another speak of what felt like some "animal" jump on their bed. I plan to write more about my childhood experiences soon. But I too would be laying in my bed at night, and felt like a cat (I say cat because it felt more lite, then heavy like a bigger animal) jump on to the foot of my bed. I can't remember if I felt it walk around on my bed though. I just remember feeling it jump onto it. But of course, nothing would be there. I've also felt someone sit at the end of my bed, but later I came to believe that it was my deceased father checking on me. Also, I was sleeping with my mom, and her bedroom was at the end of the hallway, with her door open. As I laid there, I heard what sounded like a cat (again I say cat because it sounded like the same weight) run very fast out of my moms room. I thought to myself, "it's ok, it's just your cat". As I started to believe that's what it was, I reach beside me, to feel my cat laying asleep next to me! She was our only cat! That one has always stuck with me. I've wondered if it could have been my moms old pet's, but this was in her house that they built, and no other pet's had lived there. So I don't know what it could have been. But at least your spirit's seem nice. They seem more interested in watching you, then hurting you.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Sounds to me like you had a couple of restless spirits up there with you... They don't sound bad, though...only, perhaps, a bit lonely. Maybe the ghost cat and the woman (given the floral perfume and just a general sense I'm going with the feminine) are connected - she and her cat knocking around in their former home. Could be that ghost kitty didn't get on with other animals and that's why none of your pets were too keen on the space. The incident with the CD player is charming - I think it's the cat lady messing around with your fascinating new technology. The footsteps on the stairs sound like another entity all together - maybe the same as the one in the basement. Hearing those ascending and descending treads would have frightened me too! Maybe said ghost also has trouble sleeping and that's why they pace in the night - if that's the case, it could be simply residual... A spatial memory of some poor insomniac pacing and pacing night after night.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: