You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: My Bed Felt Like a Treadmill

Real Ghost Stories

My Bed Felt Like a Treadmill

 

I have gotten sleep paralysis on various occasions since I've been at college, but the one experience I'm going to write about is the one that confuses me the most. I had stayed up all night to do a paper or something, but from 9 to 9:30 in the morning I took a nap on my bed face down. I had my arms above my head with my hands face down.

All of a sudden I felt the sleep paralysis starting, and since I had read about it online a few times by then, I decided to just relax and see if it just ended by itself.

Well by then it felt like I was moving backwards towards the foot of the bed. I could distinctly feel my comforter moving underneath my hands. It was like I was on a treadmill, because even though I was moving backwards, I was actually not moving at all, the bed was moving. Then when it wasn't stopping, I just tried to move my fingers until it finally stopped.

Then I sensed something over my right shoulder but far away in the upper corner of the room, but when I looked there was nothing there.

Can anyone help explain this?

It's probably the weirdest/scariest experience I've had relating to sleep paralysis or OBE.

I think the next time I had something weird like this happen to me I was just floating above my bed near the ceiling, which wasn't scary at all.

Oh yeah, and the first time I ever had something like this happen to me was my freshman year. There was a scary evil man or something else laying next to me in my bed. I saw his face though and it wasn't a human face. But that was a different dorm room, and it was the only time I ever saw something. That first experience could have been a dream, I have no idea.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, denasaur, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

msscorpio24 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Hi denasaur,
Sleep paralysis, I should say is very common. I actually have a friend wherein sleep paralysis runs in the family. I don't how that can happen.

But anyway, I do have my own experience with regards to sleep paralysis, some was due to stress, yes, or sometimes it happens because I did not eat before I sleep or I'm too full when I sleep. Or yep, something to do with paranormal stuff as well, which I had very weird experiences in my apt, way back college in my dorm. Sometimes OBE happens often as well every 3am, there's a lot of cases on the witching hours.

Just some stuff to help you out, hopefully it will help.
1. Explanation: paranormal, old folks in our place say never sleep facing the door because most of the times doors really serves as pathways for the unknown/you could say incubus or sucubus or other beings, so, once they pass you will easily attract them.
2. I'm not sure with sleeping on your side though, that is something that can help supposedly but I had OBE once sleeping that way.
3. Never sleep when you've just eaten, specially if you're too full or too hungry as well.
4. If ever this happens, they say you really have to try to move something like a finger or I read somewhere easiest way on your body to move is a muscle on your butt, I forgot which muscle exactly.
5.Pray, Pray, Pray... Prayers saved me from OBE a number of times, or I wear my ring rosary.

That's a long one, sorry, but I hope you'll find help soon! GoodLuck!
Rustum (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Never ever sleep on your stomach. It's not only bad for you physically but also attract sucubus and incubus demons.
nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Hi denasaur, I have just had a story very similar to yours posted (I felt Paralysed) didn't even realise there was a condition called "Sleep paralisis" even though after reading about it I still feel it was paranormal and someone was trying to contact me.

Also like you I felt this was the most scary experience I have ever had, even above my other experiences.
Perhaps the paranormal use this condition in us to try to communicate with us, who know's 😕
iWereWolf (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
try sleeping on your side that's what my brother does to prevent his sleep paralysis,

but since it happens to him occasionally he doesn't care (yip he sees a lot of scary things while in sleep paralysis state) but he tells me you gotta use all your inner strength to move!
sometimes people see nothing or shawdows or just sense there's something there,

My brother managed to get a brief look at the guy strangling him when he was in sleep paralysis "he described him as a middle aged man and he had white hair, but he was unsure since all this was happening while he made effort to try move while he couldn't breathe, he also sensed someone else next to him and someone at the bedroom door. Knowing my brother is an awesome league player and can think fast in quick situations.

he just says he never has trouble sleeping when he sleeps on his side.;) hope that helps you all:)
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-20)
Hello denasaur, You have received some sound advice from some very knowledgable people. If I were in your position, rather than just picking out one to try I would use them all. I would treat mind, body and spirit. Take care and God Bless.

FRAWIN ❤
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
You could be experiencing a paranormal event. I would go with what the others here have already offered. But just in case you can also try burning lavander incense in your room before going to sleep at night to see if this helps eliminate the problem. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Could be paranormal, could be physiological. For example, ever since I was a boy, I've experienced this strange feeling sometimes that is akin to falling over backwards in a chair perpetually. I could be laying in bed or sitting down and all of a sudden, I feel very slightly faint and then the room seems to spin a little and I get this feeling like I'm falling backwards in a chair perpetually, but never actually hitting the ground, just continually falling backwards. I get this in bed sometimes, too. I'm positive it has more to do with inner ear imbalance than spooks, though.

perhaps this is what you're experiencing. Perhaps not. Just a thought. But your "treadmill" reminded me of this perpetual motion thing.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
There are many explainations for this occuring for you. One, may be stress and tiredness, the others may be of the paranormal nature. There may be an entity eother involved ith you or with the place you are staying that is trying to make itself known to you. If this occurs again, I would try try practice your relaxation an see if that helps. If that does not help, I would try to remain with an open mind and let events happen as they may.

God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Hi Dena. A dorm house would have its fair share of spirits and entities, lots of emotional energy and who knows what sort of things have taken place there! I'm referring to the inhuman form that was sharing your bed with you in a different room and the sense you had of something/one in the upper corner of your room. I don't know much about sleep paralysis but I've had the experience of moving or being moved while I was in that 'in between' state of sleep and waking. It would be pretty unnerving to feel helpless and not able to move. Did the bed actually move? Or was that just the impression you had of the way things took place? Have you heard of anything unusual happening to anyone else at the dorm? One explanation I can think of is that something was trying to get your attention since you had the feeling of something in the room. Maybe you could check into the history of the dorm and/or school, that might help you come up with some sort of explanation for things. Keep us posted if anything else happens, I'd be interested to hear about it. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Ninajk (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Hi there I also get that a lot but I must stil post my story all I do is pray. I stay in africa so we hav other strang explanations 4 it. But I ting its also related 2 stress en tiedness.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: