You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unfriendly Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Unfriendly Ghost

 

In the early 1990s I moved into a small 3 bedroom house on the east side of Athens, Georgia while attending the University. I ended up living in the house well after graduating for a total of about 9 years. During that time I had a number of roommates come and go. Odd thing is the house was new when we moved in so it had no history to account for the experiences that occurred.

One of the first unusual events I remember happening is an occasion when I was walking past the kitchen which was to my left (the kitchen had a cut-out opening with a counter top which faced the living area). As I passed I heard a loud "clack" of something hitting one of the bar-stools and realized that a small glass bottle that had been on the counter top had evidently come off the counter, hit the bar stool and landed on the floor in the living room next to where my roommate was sitting. We both were bewildered as the bottle had come way too far to have just fallen and since it was a square bottle it would not have rolled to where it ended up. I definitely had the sense that it had been thrown at me as I was walking by.

In those days the University was still on the quarter system and once finals were over the first week of December there was about a month without classes. My roommates went home for the break but I had a job so I stayed alone for that month. One night I woke up to the sound of my dog growling. She was looking out my bedroom door into the house as she continued to growl. I peeked out but saw nothing out of the ordinary in the dark. I tried to get her to come out with me to investigate but she dug her feet in the floor and refused to budge (this was very unusual for her because for a lab she had an aggressive personality). I crept to the kitchen and got a knife, quickly looked around and went back to bed, locking my bedroom door. Can't swear this was paranormal but it definitely stuck with me.

Over the years a number of other things happened, often several things happening close together then no activity for a long time. Radios would turn on, a growling noise in the front bedroom, one roommate reported seeing a shadow figure. Shortly before I moved out I was vacuuming and noticed a hand-carved lion statue was turned facing the fall. I realized that I had had to turn the statue around several times before but this was the first time I wondered why it kept happening. I fixed its position and continued vacuuming, making a circle around the table. When I got to the other side I looked up and saw the lion was again facing the wall.

Although the activity seemed to come and go, what I remember most is how heavy the air seemed... It had this hard to describe weight to it. Often at night when I was trying to go to sleep I would have a strong sense of dread that I couldn't explain. When I would try to pin down the feeling or what was causing it I just came up empty. This was particularly true when I was using the front bedroom, the same room one roommate once told me gave her nightmares.

I wish I had known about EVPs at the time, I would be curious to see what that might turn up. Also, not sure if it's worth mentioning, and I don't really have the sense that there is a connection, but for much of this time I worked in an old (1800s) supposedly haunted building on campus where I had two paranormal experiences.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, HauntedCop, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Great story! You mentioned that the house was new when you moved in and you had no idea why it would be haunted. Ghost do travel... They will follow people and they will explore nearby buildings. Also there may have been an old structure there before the house was built there and ghost tend to hang out long after the building they stayed in has been long gone.
Also you mentioned that you work in an old building... You may have had a ghost become attached to you.
I hope you find more about the ghost and I'll be waiting for more of your experiences. Placing you in my faves.:)
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-04)
The things we do in college! I worked in a very old campus building, actually in the basement of an old campus building. A couple times I went in on weekends. And was there alone. I always heard footsteps, but no one was ever there with me. Or so I thought.

But I was never there at night...
HauntedCop (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-04)
ooops...posted those replies under my old user name. Sorry.
jmp868 (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-04)
Zzsgranny, I never had any paranormal experiences policing although a few of my coworkers had some stories.
jmp868 (2 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-04)
The campus building I worked in is the UGA Academic Building, one of the older buildings on campus. You can see a picture of it here:

Http://www.uga.edu/a-z/location/holmes-hunter-academic-building/

As a student I worked as a courier for one of the third floor offices in the building. On one occasion I was walking down the interior staircase to make a delivery run to a first floor office. I felt someone poke my left shoulder, turned around expecting to see a coworker but nothing there.

This was in the days before everyone had their own laptop so I would sometimes use my key to enter the building at night and use the office computers to write papers. Once I was there around 2 or 3 am doing a paper; this was in the middle section of the building opposite from the staircase mentioned above. The office door was partially closed so that I could not see out into the hall but I could see the light from the hallway. I saw a shadow pass by the door blocking the light as if someone walked through the hall. I got up to check since no one should have been there at that time but the hallway was empty.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-04)
Hey HauntedCop! My brother went to UGA during the early (and late... He sort of 'took his time') '90s too! He was a journalism major. Go Dawgs!

I am with zzgranny - I think the activity must be tied to events that occurred previous to the construction of that house. Athens has a long history - the Civil War as a biggie. In that era, when the fighting passed through, it was chaos...death, violence, fear and grief were everywhere. No doubt, every inch of that town was in some way effected. You could probably find a period map of the neighborhood (try the website for the local library or the university's) and find out what stood in that lot then research the names for possible answers.

Happy hunting!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-03)
HauntedCop: A pretty common theory about hauntings in newer buildings/homes is that the land could be haunted, or there was possibly a dwelling in the area that has long since been demolished. It is interesting about the older home you worked in though, and that's a definite possibility.

I have a question concerning your screen name 😆. As a cop, have you been called to unusual happenings that you felt could be paranormal?

Thank you for posting this. I'm looking forward to reading about the older home as well.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-03)
Haunted Cop, welcome and thanks for sharing your story!

I always think it's a serious of odd events that are more frightening than one big experience. The statue thing is bizarre, but when taken in context with the other events, it is very frightening.

I'm sure I'm not the only reader who wans to know about the building where you worked now...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: