You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Scary Building

Real Ghost Stories

Scary Building

 

Firstly, I want to say that I very much believe in another world, one where spirits exist, where demons lurk in the dark and where everything is possible and I also believe that those entities can contact us or mess with us even though they can't whenever they want to.

I have a lot of encounters and I believe that they happened because I chose to believe in them, to treat them like they are very real. I don't think that a person who does not believe in ghosts can see one.

So, now about my story... Two years ago, in 2015, it was a very hot summer day and in days like this, me and my friends used to gather in a place known as "the kids' club" or something like this and just stay there doing nothing in particular. This place was absolutely huge. There was a huge yard, half of it was almost like a forest even though it is placed in a pretty central area of my town. In this yard were two big buildings. One of them was still used for activities with kids or elders and the other one used to be a practice place of a college in my town about 5 or 6 years ago but now it was no longer in use. It was there just to scare us at night with its weird shadows. It has always attracted us, me in particular. I was simply fascinated by it and I did not even know why, it was just like any other abandoned building.

One day, I was with three other girls. Me and my friends decided to go into the building because we were curious about what we would find inside. We had to climb on to the roof using the bars of a window. On the roof, we found a window which led to the second floor of the building so we broke it and entered a hallway where we found a lot of rooms that looked just like classrooms. We found some old photos in which we recognized some of our parents when they studied at that college. We took the photos and continued to break doors and other stuff. From the second floor we got to some stairs which led to the attic, so we lost some time in the attic where, I want to mention, WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MOVED, like furniture or something. It was completely empty. The single thing we found there was a half eaten pigeon so we got back to the second floor. We found another staircase which led to the first floor. I want to mention again that the first floor was absolutely filled with boxes and old stuff. It was absolutely impossible to enter on the main entrance that was placed there. Unable to wander on the first floor we got back to the second one.

Suddenly, I had an eerie feeling. The other girls entered another room but I just remained motionless in the hallway. Something was telling me to leave the building, to run out and never come back. Then I told myself to calm down, the sun was still shining outside and I tried to convince myself a ghost or something like this could only appear at night. I could hear the girls talk to each other and completely frightened, I heard their voices suddenly stop when a strange noise embraced the building. They immediately came at me and looked scared at me. The sound was coming from the attic. It was some basic sound you could hear in a low budget horror movie, something like *thump thump drag*.

One of the girls said 'Maybe someone just went to the attic and is moving something in there'. This phrase scared us even more because 1. If anybody entered the building, from any point, he/she was unable to go to the attic without me seeing them, I had view to all the ways to the attic and 2. There was nothing in the attic that could have been moved. We just stayed there confused until we heard some voices but to me, those voices were completely non-human like... I could not make out what they were saying but that was my cue to leave and that's what I did, running on the roof then as far as I could from the building.

A couple of days later, I was facing the building again and again I had that eerie feeling. Something inside my head was telling me to look at the attic window and so I did and I was very disappointed to see nothing there. Then as my eyes were scanning the building again, I could see something running through the building, seeing a silhouette at every window I looked at.

That scared me and even to this day, I refuse to approach the building because every time I am standing near it, I get that eerie feeling.

Sorry for any mistakes I have made.

Other hauntings by CreepyWednesday

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CreepyWednesday, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Razz (7 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
Most comments seem to be condemning the op for going into an abandoned building... While I can agree with that, it in no way shape or form negates what may have been an actual paranormal experience... Was it paranormal? Don't know, wasn't there but I can tell everyone that how you got into a place DOES NOT affect any possible experiences you may have... Is a feral cat a possibility? Sure is, as much as a rat dying in a trap or a raccoon thinking its young is in danger... But its also possible that it was an actual paranormal experience... My opinion is simply this... Its possible that it was paranormal, also possible that it was just something natural BUT it sure as hell was not influenced by the means of entry...
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (318 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
Creepy Wednesday, thank you for your comment. Like I said, I wasn't saying that what you experienced was not paranormal. Just that it's always good to think logically first, before assuming it to be paranormal. From your latest comment, it seems that you did do that, which is good. I also would love to hear any updates that you can find, or dig up, about this building. Hopefully you'll be able to find out more to this, and get back to us.
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
CreepyWednesday, thanks for sharing your experience. When I first read over your experience, I definitely agreed with you, it was paranormal. However, the readers and comments have brought up a few good points and especially, in old houses, creeks, thuds, whistling, thumping, swooshing and rustling can be attributed to a number of things and accounted for. You did mention that because you are open to these types of things, you grasp much more quickly a spiritual or paranormal occurrence. Some looking into the houses history might provide some answers.

P.S. Just a pointer, as a person who is 'sensitive' to these types of things, rather don't go into a house you feel is haunted or has paranormal activity and break or damage its property. Because you have clarity of sight, you will be the target when things turn South - just like you sense "them", 'they' will sense you.
Meghana23 (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
Hi,
It is interesting. I liked it. I liked your dare to enter into that scary building.

Thanks for sharing, keep on sharing your experiences.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
CreepyWednesday--I completely understand the allure of investigating abandoned structures. I spent a lot of time as a teenager at an abandoned lighthouse and it's surrounding buildings. I never vandalized it though. I liked the place too much.

I still think, as there is no evidence that the building in your account is haunted, that a feral cat could have knocked something over while moving about. It could have been a couple of heavy boxes that sounded even louder in the stillness and quiet of the closed up building. AugustaM is right though. Do some research on the building and property and see if you can uncover anything that might suggest the place has had some paranormal activity. Because you need more than an eerie feeling (and let's face it a lot of abandoned buildings can seem a bit creepy) and a "thump thump drag" to state a place is haunted.

The non human sounding voices you heard could indeed have again been feral cats. They can make some ungodly weird sounds that sound anything like a house cat. My wife and I once entered a house where we were watching someone's cat and were stunned to hear a voice in the darkness from the second floor say, "Hello?". It sounded exactly like an elderly woman but it turned out the cat just had a REALLY freaky meow! As for seeing a silhouette running through the building a few days after your adventure, maybe it was another group of intrepid explorers like your group checking the place out. By all means, try to find out more about the building though. Let YGS know if you uncover anything of interest.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
And I just read your most recent comment, CreepyWednesday and I agree with you that someone who doesn't believe will make every attempt to pass of what they experience as anything else - even when no other logical explanation remains but for the paranormal - my mother is that way.

And the intensity of the sound you heard does seem to make it less easily explained as animal noises... Did you notice any large equipment installed in the attic that may have turned on? Even if it wasn't in the attic, perhaps the building may have still had some rudimentary level of climate control or a dehumidifier still functioning to reduce the rate of decay - sometimes those can be very loud when they cut on and sound just ghastly. Just grabbing at straws here. Again, I think research into both the oral and written histories of the building and the land will be your best bet for answers:)
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
I completely understand the allure of an abandoned building - I always want to know what is inside... See if maybe I can figure out what it's story is... Mourn for its grandeur lost. Yes, abandoned buildings have owners and yes there are dangers involved from broken bones to trespassing charges - but, just like speeding on the freeway, sometimes some folks just can't resist - just do no harm. Urban exploring is more or less ok in my eyes (emphasis on this being my personal opinion -nothing more) so long as NO vandalism takes place.

If your experience was paranormal, perhaps the spirit was cross with you and your friends for the disrespect you showed to its home and the damage you did. I can see that type of behavior as easily being as provocative to spirit activity as more well known methods of verbal provocation - if not more so.

A bit of research might help you discover whether your experience was paranormal. See if you can hunt down the history of the building - you mentioned your parents had history there, ask them what they may know. Don't forget that the area may have a story to tell before that building existed.
CreepyWednesday (4 stories) (5 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
The reason that made me say skeptics are more unlikely to have such encounters is that if you refuse to believe in something, you will find a thousand ways to discard that thing. You will simply close your eyes, and it is logical that with your eyes closed, you won't see a thing. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
I really examined the logical explanations. The walls of the building are really strong and trust me, such a sound as a bird being attacked or flying or any other small animal as larger ones don't exist, could not make it from the attic to the seconf floor. I mean, I was barely hearing what my friends were saying and they were close to me. It was a powerful noise.
About the breaking part for which I have been criticised. The building is sort of noone's property and I must admit that the vandalizing part was really wrong but at the time, as a thrill seeker and a rebelious explorer, it didn't seem a wrong idea. Thank you for your comments ❤
luckdragon (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
hi creepy,
I understand you are a teenager, so perhaps the previous comments will help you to grow into a more responsible adult.
Having said that, well done on your first post, and please continue to share your stories, I found it very interesting.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (318 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
I agree with the other's on saying, you shouldn't be breaking into a place, and vandalizing it. But I'm curious as to why you believe, that if you don't believe in ghost, then you can't see them? To say that, would mean that the skeptical people who have had to change their mind on believing in the paranormal, never saw anything. So why else did other skeptic's, turn to believe? As far as what you heard being paranormal, you mentioned a half eaten bird in the attic, and the noise you heard was a thump, thump, drag. It could have been another bird in the attic, being attacked. Which would make since to hear it thumping on the floor, as it would be trying to get away, and the dragging sound could have been after it was killed, and being dragged. I'm not saying what you experienced is not paranormal, but that you always should rule out other possibilities first. Obviously something was killing bird's in the attic, so who knows, it could have been catching dinner.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+7
7 years ago (2017-03-08)
This quartet of vandals is a good example of the living being more dangerous than the dead! 😠

I agree with the previous posters, there's no evidence of something paranormal causing the noise. Can you be sure there's no rats in the building or some other animal living in there?

Anyway, I hope you find something more productive to do during your free time other than breaking and entering in old buildings.

Thanks for sharing.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+6
7 years ago (2017-03-07)
Hello CreepyWednesday

Not to pile on but Manofan1 is spot on.
Because a building is abandoned doesn't mean it doesn't have an owner. It does, which means you are breaking, entering, and destroying someones property. Would you like someone breaking in you house and smashing up a door? Probably not.
You also must consider the physical risk. Many times old buildings like that are dangerous simply due to the condition they are in.
Many an urban explorer has walked across a floor only to fall right through a weak spot and end up with broken bones

If you want to go ghost hunting and/or exploring at least get the owners permission.

I too am having a hard time seeing anything paranormal. Old buildings make all kinds of noises. Pipes in the walls expand and contract with the temperature and can make a racket. Floors squeak
And if your not used to the sounds it can be convincing that someone or something is there.

In the world of the paranormal ALWAYS look for a natural explanation first. Only after eliminating all normal explanations do you then begin to consider the paranormal. Good habits like that will make it more rewarding if and when you do encounter something odd.

Take care and be safe
Randy
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+8
7 years ago (2017-03-07)
CreepyWednesday--It sounds like you have an active and vivid imagination, which is what you essentially state in your opening paragraph. You then state, "I don't think that a person who does not believe in ghosts can see one." That is not true. There are hundreds upon hundreds of well documented case studies of people who stated emphatically that they had no belief in "ghosts" who then had an experience witnessing an apparition.

You're a teenager and I understand the allure of abandoned buildings at your age but breaking into a building can indeed be dangerous. That you admit vandalizing the place was honest but a bit annoying to read.

As for the sound you heard coming from the attic, without evidence of anything that particularly points to a haunting, it is probably much more likely that you heard an animal who had taken up refuge in the abandoned building. A feral cat is a possibility.

As I stated at the outset, you seem to have a vivid imagination and the eerie feeling you get from the building seems to stem from that. To keep yourself from being even more creeped out you might want to consider not breaking in to abandoned buildings.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: