You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Anne's House

Real Ghost Stories

Anne's House

 

So, this isn't a super scary story with tons of experiences surrounding it. I didn't spend much time at the home in question. Still, the place is one of many that has imprinted on my mind and I feel the need to share it.

My boyfriend was temporarily staying with a family friend, Anne, who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia (not a severe case) and bipolar depression. I only stayed here a few nights out of the week, other nights I'd drive home. She lived alone in a 3 bedroom house paid for by her parents (her children lived there previously until they grew up and practically disowned her), so she didn't mind the company.

I would describe my first impression of the home as feeling sad, as well as the fairly overused term "heavy", but it suits it so well. However, it was also always dimly lit, if not dark, inside the home since Anne slept a lot (the feeling was present whether the lights were on or not, just saying). Anne liked to sleep on the couch a majority of the time; she stated she "didn't like her bedroom".

In the beginning, I ignored the feeling, but sometimes it was so overwhelming that I wouldn't want to leave the bedroom, or venture far from it. If I did leave, it was to use the bathroom across the hall, and even that felt uncomfortable; I could feel something there. Sometimes I could feel it centered towards to back room, sometimes I felt it watching me directly down the hall.

It was a sickening feeling, like there was a huge "elephant in the room", though it encompassed the entirety of the home.

My boyfriend also quite often felt considerably depressed in the home, but of course that could have been due to other factors as well.

My boyfriend had gone on a work trip for a few days, which left me alone in the home to help take care of the dog. I hadn't really been in the home alone before this.

One of these nights, I took the dog for a walk. When I came back the front door was locked; Anne must have locked it on her way out and didn't realize I had just left for a little bit. The only other way to get in the house was to come around the back, and use the sliding glass door instead. I didn't want to do this, because the backyard always made me feel uneasy. Probably because everything was overgrown and at night, of course, it was especially spooky. That being said, I wanted to do this in a fairly quick manner. There was a dim porch light which left some lighting to see, other than that there was only moonlight. I came through the gate, passed the screened-in porch, and when I came around the corner I stopped in my tracks, and so did my dog.

I saw a dark, black, 6 foot tall figure sort of hovering some 10 feet in front of me for a split second, and then it took off to the right of me, actually *flew* away as if the dog and I had startled it. It disappeared halfway first, and then was gone completely.

The way it moved was so freeform. It didn't move all at once, it flowed, with the rest of its body following closely behind. What's weird is that I'd describe it as looking furry or fuzzy... Except the "fur" in this case would be more of a see-through blurry mist. It was an odd, dark mass that looked like a bunch of different sections of it were pulsing or fluctuating. It looked like something out of a movie, almost digital in a way. I wish I could describe it better, but it is very hard.

Seeing this felt really foreign to my eyes. I couldn't move for a couple seconds, and my dog cowered as well when I tried to walk him towards the sliding door.

Most experiences I have that I believe to be paranormal, I only "sense" them in a manner; the presence of an energy that is so profound you feel it in your core. And let me tell you, the aura of this thing probably scared me more than the actual sight of it.

There were no other animals on the property, let alone one that had the shape of a silhouette. Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

After spending some time here for a couple months, I got used to building a wall of my own energy to counteract this being, and leaving that sadness there in the home when I left.

There is one more experience surrounding this home that strikes a special nerve with me.

One night, at around 9 pm, I said goodbye to my boyfriend and went to get in my car to leave. After countless nights, as soon as I exited the home and got out front, I was used to feeling a bit better and the weight being lifted. This time, it didn't seem that way, and as I'm sitting in my car the feeling just did not go away. It was actually so strong it made my stomach ache and my hair stand up.

The 7 minute drive home that night was extremely difficult, I turned the music up and tried not to speed too much. Even when I got home, I still felt it. I sat in my car before going inside and prayed and prayed for protection, for whatever it was to leave me alone, that it wasn't allowed to follow me and it was not welcome in my home.

Though I was still disturbed and overwhelmed by what I felt, and it kept me up for some of the night, the feeling left me once I did get inside. I thanked God and prayed for further protection surrounding Anne's home. Not long after, my boyfriend was able to move out of the house, thankfully, and we are much better off because of it. I often wonder what other experiences I may have had if I had spent more time there.

Thank you for reading all of this, and I look forward to possibly hearing from someone that has seen or read something on here like what I described, as well as any thoughts anybody may have on it.

Other hauntings by Aliviashae

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aliviashae, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-17)
There is definitely something to feng shui - I knew this house was going to be a struggle with stagnant/funky energy, and I haven't been wrong. Cul-de-sac, bottom of the hill, flooding problems, high turnover rate, etc. But it was the only house that was on the market approved by the VA in our price range with potential resale value. So I've had to make do with the other 'issues,' lol.

We've done a lot and there's always more to do, but had we not been proactive, this would have been a very frustrating (and somewhat creepy) place.

But since there isn't much you can do to alleviate Anne's troubles, prayer from afar is definitely your best option. Never wasted, so the saying goes. Her backyard I find most frustrating - sounds like it needs a good weedwacking and mow, ha! Love the yard work...
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-17)
Biblio,
Thank you for commenting and reading my stories! I'm glad you liked them! The entity was in fact the way you interpreted and described. And it definitely was disorienting lol!

I agree that the way the encounter occurred was partly due to my mindset at that point in time. The entity was definitely surprised to see me, considering I never really had to go around the back of the house like that before. Not to mention, I totally had an extra kick in my step, I was trying to avoid the exact thing I saw! It was almost as if I knew it was there! As soon I found out the front door was locked, my reaction was "Oh dear God, please no." Even approaching the gate to the back yard felt like the slender man video game, where you have to explore and hope you don't run into him.

I really don't know exactly why the entity was there, and I wish I knew more about the house, but it does seem as if this energy was basking in the negative environment.

Anne's daughters were in fact very affected by her condition, and who knows how toxic their relationships ended up, considering their decision to distance themselves.

Thanks again for your input,
Aliviashae
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-17)
Thank you for commenting, Shelbyloree! Your experience sounds unnerving, especially being that you were pregnant at the time! Yikes! Glad you were able to counteract it with positive energy:)

I also feel that Anne let the home consume her, considering she spent almost all of her days on the couch. I know for a fact the entity had to have been affecting her; I'll never forget what I saw and the way I felt there.

And yes, I'm assuming due to her mentality, she was probably unable to really gather the energy to accomplish any home improvement (unless you were to include the times she turned on all the lights).

I think altogether the home was a low vibrational environment, and that it too could have contributed to the feelings her children associated their mother with. I continue to pray for them.

Much light and love,
Aliviashae
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
Greetings, Aliviashae.

I've read all three of your narratives thus far, and I've enjoyed your personable writing style. The first idea through my head when I read your description of the entity was Squid and Octopi squirting ink underwater as they retreat: it leaves a disorienting, dense billowing cloud trail which confuses predators. (I'll admit that the next two thoughts were the movie depiction of the Dementors in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and of the general appearance of the Tallyman from Batman comic books, though these were probably not as helpful.)

When someone with a level of paranormal awareness (psychic ability, sixth sense, or *whatever* you want to call it) runs into a sentient haunting or entity, the encounter does seem to surprise the non-human individual; this phenomenon seems to be amplified if the human has well-developed shielding or a forceful personality. You'd psyched yourself up to the point of tackling whatever was in the back garden, so when you rounded the corner ready to do battle, you probably alarmed the hell out of it!

While I have no doubt that the oppressive atmosphere was something to do with the entity's visit, I'm going to agree with Tweed on its showing up to investigate or to monitor the situation, as opposed to being a causal factor. Though everyone has expressed some sympathy for Anne's situation, there are times that it is necessary for families to sever unhealthy ties in order for the individual members to heal. If her bipolar depression and schizophrenia were too much for her kids to handle, then they were probably doing not only what was in the best interests of their mental health, but also preventing themselves from provoking their mother.

Thanks for sharing, Aliviashae.

Best,
Biblio.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
I feel bad for Anne too, seems like a chicken/egg situation, which came first type thing. I have seen a dark figure 'smoking' above me when I was pregnant. Screamed and punched at it, but don't know if it was a bad dream or 'something' since there was a lot of activity then. It left a horrible feeling for me for days.

Maybe the difference for Anne is that she gave in to her 'heavy' house. Instead of always attempting to oust the negativity, Anne seems resigned to 'it', unable to shake it off like you were able to, time and again. And she may be unable to do home improvements that may help with the heavy feelings too. I have found that as long as I am doing some sort of home improvement, the shadows stay at bay. My thoughts while doing any of it are that I'm trying to harmonize the house, and things feel better.

I would assume when Anne was raising her children the heavy feelings were still there. And maybe they have also entangled their ideas of 'mom' and the weirdness in the house and decided to just avoid both. Sad situation all around.

Yes send flowers! No act of kindness is wasted.
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Tweed,
I'm glad to hear someone else has seen something with a similar description. I wish I had used the word smoke because that's exactly what it was like. The smoke looked like it was a continuous cycle of energy thoughout itself.
In regards to the other point you made, I also agree. Whatever this was, was simply there. It was attracted to the negativity, but it wasn't out to cause harm or anything. The only time it really caused concern was when I thought it was trying to hitch a ride with me, possibly looking for more energy to draw from? Who knows, but I don't think this entity was technically "evil".
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Sheld999,
Yes, it did seem like we completely caught it off guard. Which makes sense because I was walking at a semi-fast pace, since I was nervous about going back there. It turns out I had a good reason to be, considering it had probably just manifested seconds beforehand. I only saw this thing for a second, it seemed to flee as soon as it laid eyes on us.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Hi Aliviashae,

What you describe about the way the sections pulsated and appeared sort of digital sounds similar to something I saw. A dark figure, semi translucent, with a smoke like substance at it's lower legs and feet. The smoke sort of rippled within itself, it was pretty cool.

I have a different take on the figure you saw. I agree that negativity attracts unwanted entities, but I think this figure was a neutral presence, regardless of the feeling it gave off.
When reading about encounters with shadowy figures almost all of them give off a sense of dread, foreboding, fear. But I think, most of the time, it's a general message to humans to 'back off'. Also these figures tend to show up in negative situations/locations, as if they're drawn. But I don't think they're there to make matters worse, nor are they the cause. They seem to be quiet observers who don't care for human assumptions and aren't about to appologise for any negativity they incite.
To me a truly negative entity does a lot more than give off negativity.

Just another angle to consider. Thanks for sharing. 😊
sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Seems like the dark thing you saw got frighten by you and the dog. How long did it look at you for?
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Zaruje,
Thank you for your comment! Yes, Anne's situation is very unfortunate. It is no wonder there was an entity in the home feeding off the environment. She would often confide in me on one of her good days if she felt like talking, and I did the best I could to provide emotional support and comfort. However, I never addressed the issue or talked to her about what I saw there. She did talk about the home, about how it was so dark and depressing, no matter what she did, so I already knew she wasn't blind to it.

Anyways, I think I will send her flowers soon.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Hello aliviashae! Upon reading this story, the first thing that registered in my mind, is poor anne. Having such a condition with no children to look after her just brought tears to my eyes. Sorry for being overdramatic. I just can't imagine her going through all of that with her condition and the negative energy within the house. Hope she's ok right now.
About what you've experienced, if that was me, I would have already run away upon seeing that figure. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-10)
I agree I can't even imagine going through what Anne has, especially when developing a mental disorder that you have so little control of. It has only been since the past few years that she became ill. I often pray for her and hope that she can find peace and happiness.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-10)
While there's lots here to be disturbed about or scared, I think the scariest bit is how Anne's children basically abandoned her. Growing up with a mentally ill parent or relative is a stressful thing to be sure.

I agree with Twilight. I think the negative emotions and stress of the family dynamic built up energy for, if not a full on haunting, at least events.
Aliviashae (7 stories) (27 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-03-10)
Twilight1011,
I appreciate your comment, I agree with your theory. I actually have thought about that many times. For a long time I blamed Anne for most of the negativity, until it became clear that there was something else there emitting a very strong negative energy which was attracted to her as a source. Unfortunately I don't know the history of the house. Sometimes I often wonder if this presence has been there all along, and maybe actually responsible for some of Anne's deep depression and paranoia.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-10)
I enjoyed this read. I'm not sure what exactly you saw was, but I do have a theorie. For starter's, not knowing the history of this house, but thinking outside of a usual haunting, I'm curious about Anne. You mentioned some of her health issue's. That being sad, having negative energy built up, can attract more darker "thing's" to you. Which makes me wonder if this could be the case. That's what I believe happened at my moms house. My mom, and dad, are the ones that had built the house, so it's not like someone had passed away in it. But with all the negative energy built up between us, due to both my dad, and brother, passing away, (not in the house) as well as many other negativety we had. The house seemed to feel "heavy" like you had said. With Anne being depressed allot, it is sure to attract evil presence. Not sure if this helped understand any better, but it's what crossed my mind, when I read this.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: