You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Black Dog Of Arrochsr

Real Ghost Stories

Black Dog Of Arrochsr

 

My name is James, I am 43, I live in little town on the west coast of Scotland, last year my girlfriend of 29 years and I decided to get married. We wanted a very quiet honeymoon so we booked a log cabin in a very serene little town called Arrochar up north.

The first night was Halloween 2016, my wife went to bed early, I went to bed after 12, around 3:30 I was sleeping on my stomach, I felt something grabbing or trying to bite my calf through the bed sheets.

I have 3 cats at home, one of which has a habit of jumping over my back early hours in the morning to get out. I thought it was my cat then realized it couldn't be, I'm not at home. I turned to see what it was and standing in front of the bedroom door I can only describe as a large black dog standing on its hind legs, it had the features of a dog but no eyes. I watched it and it made a gesture to me with its (paw) three times as if to beckon me towards it. I froze for a couple of seconds then managed to blurt out the words "f**k off"!. Then all of a sudden it just disappeared. My wife slept through it. I didn't want to tell her because we still had 4 nights left.

The afternoon of the second day my wife told me that she didn't like it and thought the place was eerie, so I eventually told her. She wouldn't go into that room herself so she called our daughter who considers herself a white witch as she used to see spirits of her "other mum and dad" who died and has books on spiritual matters. My daughter told me that seeing a black dog was a portent of death and to put certain symbols around the bed. After that I never saw it again.

I contacted the company but no-one else had made any complaints. I later found out that the Arrochar hotel straight across the Loch has a green lady and a black dog?

What does anyone else think?

Other hauntings by Thefox

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Thefox, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

i-have-a-crush-on-firestar (1 stories) (24 posts)
-2
4 years ago (2020-02-23)
the black shuck is a death omen, it's an very bad omen. Be careful
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-04-09)
HAHAHHAHA! Oh man it's not often YGS cracks me up but this was a ripsnorter!

Fox, I think you may have encountered a nature spirit, or land spirit, most likely one known as 'black shuck'. More or less a land spirit and a good guy! The hell hound nonsense is from Hollywood.
I don't know why the dog appeared to you, or beckoned you over. But you're sure not the first to see something like this and have an adverse reaction. I don't think I've read an account were someone has a favourable reaction. But I don't think you had anything to fear but fear itself. 😊

*Psst perhaps your daughter could brush up on British folklore, not everything's out to get us!*
Thefox (2 stories) (6 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
I wrote to a paranormal website and told them the story. I got a reply from some psychologist whom more or less said it was all in my head because it was halloween. I told him that I don't bother with halloween and that I was 43 not 14. I also told him that if it was easter, would it have been a rabbit 😁
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
Hi Fox, when we visited Europe, Scotland was one of our favourite places. I looked up Arrochar - what a beautiful place for a honeymoon.

I wonder if your disturbance that particular night could be because Halloween is connected with the Samhain festival, when it is believed that souls are wandering the earth. It was interesting that your wife also felt something was "off" about the cabin. I've read that the Black Dog or Hellhound is considered an evil image or death omen. What symbols did your daughter suggest to put around the bed?

The Green Lady is usually described as a benevolent protector of the home, sometimes associated with water. Farmers have claimed that they help protect their cattle.
Https://seeksghosts.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/scotlands-green-lady-ghosts.html

James, thank you for sharing this account. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: