You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Time I Got Stuck In The Closet

Real Ghost Stories

The Time I Got Stuck In The Closet

 

When I was about 8yrs old, my parents move me, and my 3 sisters, to a big farm house in rural Virginia. The house itself was built in the early 1900s, but was built on Green Hill Plantation. You may recognize the name if you frequent this site, as my older sister has written her experiences here.

Green Hill was once the largest self sustaining plantation in the state. There were even cobblestone streets (some of which can still be seen under the red dirt lane that remains) Green Hill was so big at one time, that it was considered a town. And had a toll bridge across the Staunton River that, at the time it was built, was the only way across the river for miles. At the end of the civil war, one side burned the bridge to keep the other from crossing it.

My point being, the property was HUGE, spanning at over 500 acres, present day.

My first experience that I can remember happened the day we went to see the house. We were moving to the area from out of state, and my parents decided to take myself and one of my other sisters to see it before moving weekend.

Once we were there, my younger sister (I'll be referring to each person by letter of name rather than full name) T, and I decided to explore the yard, and the house. When we came to what would eventually become her and C's (T & C are the younger two, myself and B are older, with B being the eldest) bedroom. We went into the closet, it was the largest we had seen up until that point. And stood there for a moment talking about its size and bickering over who got it before the door shut, locking us both in the closet.

To understand this fully, you must remember that I was only 8, and T was no older than 5. I can remember her frantically banging on the door, crying for us to be let out. And I can remember being okay, until I heard whispers. Then I began to cry, too.

It wasn't long before my mom found us, and let us out. Both of us were unharmed. I didn't even realize it was paranormal until years later. Up until then it was "the time we were stuck in the closet".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hazibby, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-22)
Oh cool, thanks Biblio! I thought when I asked after the other experiences I'd have already read them. But 09 is before my time so odds are I haven't. Glad I asked!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-22)
Greetings, Hazibby.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Like Tweed, I wanted to know if you recall anything the whispers said to you.

Tweed: Hazibby's sister, Beejette, posted the story "Figures On The Plantation" in July of 2009: yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=6534. She also posted a link to a Website about the house: http://www.victorianvilla.com/sims-mitchell/local/pannill/

Best,
Biblio.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
Having been constructed in 1797 - that plantation has had a lot of time to develop countless drafts and settle every which way. It is quite possible that the door just blew shut. Old doors also have a habit of swelling and sticking - being nearly impossible one day and operating just fine the next. Cool that you had closets though and a big one to boot, 18thC houses can be lacking in that department!
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Hello Hazibby,

That would have been a very creepy experience. If that had happened to me, I'm quite certain I would have been the door down!

I'm curious to read any other experiences you may have had. That would most likely have scared me for life.

Thanks for the read!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-19)
Hi Hazibby,

Goodness me, shame on whoever locked you in the closet! I'm guessing some stuffy ghost from throughout history who didn't like what you guys were doing. I like that you didn't think of it as paranormal until years later. Can you remember, or did you know, what the whispers were saying?

Also have you ever posted any other experiences under your previous account? (I read your profile and would love to read any of your previous posts.) Also do you know what name your sister posted under? I'd love to read hers too.

Thanks for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: