You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Changing The Weather

Real Ghost Stories

Changing The Weather

 

In 2012 I was working on New York's Times Square, doing a promotional event for about a week. Working out there and around so many people you see everything and anything. But one experience stood out and remains the strangest thing I have ever seen.

My last day of work on the promotion was the day before Hurricane Sandy. The sky was very overcast and ominous, with the clouds getting thicker and winds picking up by the hour.

At one point a large religious group gathered on the steps of Times Square, it seemed like thousands strong. They began praying and singing hymns. This being NYC and Times Square, they went largely ignored.

At one point in the midst of their prayer, rays of sun cut through the clouds and the temperature climbed at least 20 degrees within a matter of seconds.

Reviewing weather radar from that day there was a major hurricane system moving in and there was no possible way for the sun to shine through even for a brief moment.

Needless to say, this kind of gave me goose bumps. From my memory, the sun could not have been out for more than 5 minutes. When the prayer group dispersed and the singing stopped, almost on cue the sun went away and temperatures returned to typical for late October.

I had been very skeptical of prayer up to that point in my life, being a cynical 20 something who thought he knew better than to waste time believing in such nonsense.

In the years since, I have taken up prayer (I am a different religion than this group) and become obsessively interested in the supernatural and real life effects of religious intervention.

Other hauntings by sherm784

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sherm784, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-26)
Hi Sherm
Thanks for sharing. I'm a firm believer that God, The Great Spirit, Nature or whatever you wish to call it, is a natural law. An good example of a natural law is gravity.
Gravity doesn't change unless the mass creating it does. It's a constant. There's no reason for it to change. The Law is perfect in its operation.
A group of people could not get together and pray for Earths gravity to change or lessen. It just wouldn't happen. If it did It would be catastrophic if you actually considered it.
I don't believe a group of people's prayer can part clouds.
I believe what you witnessed was a coincidence - it looked pretty and filled people with some kind of hope but nothing ghostly or supernatural here.
Regards
Mack
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-22)
For what it's worth, and no I did not go to State College, just submitted a query for the weather. The results were for LaGuardia airport, not Times Square, and showed no warmup in the temperature. In addition, the readings were only hourly, so anything that happened for less than 60 minutes would not have shown.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
Hi Sherm,

Depending on the time of day Times Square can be shaded by all the buildings. Then at other times be in half or full sun. But on those overcast days the brightness doesn't really alter much morning through afternoon. Considering all that, did the time of day match the sun's position on that area? Did you notice a break in the clouds? I'm wondering if this was, not sunlight, but more of an aura of peace, love and Godliness brought on by the prayer group. Something like the sun light, but coming from beyond, like a heavenly type place.

I'm completely open to it being a change in the weather too, but thought I'd throw in another possibility to the mix.

Thanks for sharing, glad it had a profound impact on you.😊
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
I'd be curious to review radar data from the event. I'll be heading, I'm hoping if things work out, to State College PA for some personal research at a certain place of higher education. Perhaps I could stop in at Accuweather too and check the radar.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-21)
Sherm784 - Thanks for sharing your experience.

I remember reading about Hurricane Sandy in the press and also seeing it on TV news. Katrina too, of course. Even where we are in South Africa, social media brings us closer to what happens in America and the rest of the world.

We are fortunate not to experience those phenomena in SA (except for very high winds and rough sea, also causing destruction). I have often thought what a truly horrifying experience it must be to experience a force of nature such as a devastating hurricane 😢. Were you personally affected?

Your experience must have been a heart-stopping moment for you!

Regards, Melda
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Hello Sherm784

Thank you for sharing... I believe 100% that the sun coming out and the temp raising 20 degrees while this church event was going on was no coincidence.

I have read hundreds of testimonies and have a few myself that make me a true believer.

Nice read, thanks again for sharing.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
I can see why this experience would make a believer out of someone, Sherm784.

Strange, almost magical or mystical experiences like this can certainly change one's outlook.

It was obviously an unforgettable experience! Thank you for sharing it with us. Coincidence or divine intervention? It really doesn't matter! It made an impact.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: