You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Was It My Best Friend?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It My Best Friend?

 

I have been a little apprehensive as to if I should share my stories or not, as they aren't anything too serious, but I have decided to anyways.

This happened to me in April of 2007, I can not remember the exact date, but remember it was 8 months after one of my best friends had passed away. I lived with my mother at the time and was 17 years old. I was on the phone with one of my friends talking about going out with a ton of our other friends and I heard what sounded like someone walking behind me. I didn't even bother to turn around because I figured it was my mom getting something from my dresser. I got off the phone after a few minutes and went to get into the shower. My mother's shower curtain never closed all the way because it wasn't wide enough to cover the whole shower so there was always about 4 or 5 inches of a 'crack' you could see out of. About 10 minutes later of me being in the shower I saw what looked like a misty white hand reaching for the towel that was on the towel rack. Now I know a lot of you will say, oh I'm sure it was just humidity from the doors being closed and it being hot in the bathroom, but I'm telling you that just was not the case. It clearly looked like a hand and not a second after I looked over to see if that's what I had actually seen the towel started to sway back and forth as if someone had went to touch it. I'll also note that there are no vents in this bathroom either and no way I can possibly think it'd move any other way. So after seeing the towel move I literally moved as quick as I could to get done because I was so scared. I jumped out and dried off and ran to tell my mom about what happened and she laughed it off and she insisted it was our friend that had passed away previously. If you knew this guy you'd understand, he was always doing something crazy and was always cracking jokes.

So I laughed it off with my mom and didn't think much else of it and got ready to go out with my friends. Later on when I got home I do believe it was around 2:30 a.m. And I went straight to bed. When I flopped down on my bed I fell almost right to sleep. I dreamed of my best friend that had passed away that my mother and I had talked about earlier on that night. He was trying to tell me something, but his lips were just moving and I couldn't read them, but he had this huge smile on his face. That smile I will always clearly remember that was contagious. Then he started to walk away from me and I started to walk towards him to get his attention and I could smell his cologne. Like I literally smelled it in my sleep, if that makes sense. He always wore Chrome Azzure. That was HIS scent. I immediately woke up and still smelled it as I woke up and saw what looked like the back of my friend walking away from my bed. It was so strange though as he was blue looking. Dark blue and almost kind of transparent looking. I freaked out because I was raised Baptist and am still religious and I've always been taught that once you die you are gone and not coming back. So I wondered if what I was seeing was a demon disguising itself as my best friend that passed away, but it was strange because I did not feel threatened what so ever, just scared because I had never seen anything like this in my life. After he walked away he literally vanished through my closed door. I laid in bed crying for a good 30 minutes then drifted back off to sleep.

I woke up around 10:00 a.m. I do believe and went into the kitchen to tell my mom what had happened and before I could even tell her what happened she said, I had the craziest dream last night about Eddie. Which was my best friend that passed away, she was very close with him too because they worked together. Then she said, you know the other crazy thing is ALL the clocks on the wall and my alarm clock have stopped working! All of them were battery operated as well. So right after she told me this I ran to my room and checked my alarm clock on my nightstand and sure enough... It had stopped also. The odd thing is they all had stopped, but not exactly on the same time. They were all a few minutes off of each other, but the one that had stopped first was dead on 2:45 I remember.

Coincidence? I'm not sure, it totally could had been, but to have a dream of my best friend and my mom to have one too then all these clocks stop. I won't rule anything out.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sarah1882, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sherm784 (19 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-29)
That's crazy. Sounds like he definitely made his presence felt.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
Thank you, Biblio, for making me laugh, at the half-way, more or less, point of Lent. 😆
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
Sarah,

I'm very glad to have been of some help.

I've always enjoyed reading Luke's books ("Luke" & "Acts of the Apostles") in the King James translation. I find that particular passage to be interesting from a supernatural perspective and informative from a very human one. As Yeshua Ben Yosef speaks to his friends, I can't imagine that he's doing it with the same thoughtful, measured tone of "The Sermon on the Mount" to a crowd of thousands; I hope he was reassuring, sincere, and humorous: "Look, it's me! I said I'd be back! The crucifixion's over; why are you acting like cowards NOW? Fine, I'll eat the fish and you can make your own breakfasts..."

Best,
Biblio.
Sarah1882 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
RCRuskin, I honestly have no idea what he was trying to tell me unfortunately, but he looked happy so that makes me happy as well 😁
Sarah1882 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
Oddly, it didn't post my whole comment for some reason.
Biblio, the bible verse you speak of I never looked at it that way, that makes total sense! That has definitely made me see it from a different perspective! I also enjoy reading your stories as well!
Sarah1882 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
Thank you everyone for your condolences, it means a lot!
whitelightlady (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
Hi Sarah, First, I want to say I'm sorry for your loss. I believe he came to visit you in your dreams to reassure you that he is ok and the cologne is the true proof it was him. He may have been blue because he was there in spirit and the blue is his "aura". You can google info on aura colors and there meaning. Blue usually represents sadness, however, it doesn't mean he is sad. You've been sad since his passing, which is of course normal and he doesn't want you to be. The next time he visits you in your dreams, his aura might be another color. I truly enjoyed your story, and in no way was that a demon. I've had dreams of loved ones who have passed and in a couple of occasions I was afraid to look at they're face. I told it to go away and it did. I believe that was a demon. Especially when I woke up and for no reason my cell phone was bright red.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+6
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
Greetings, Sarah, and Welcome to YGS.

I think I can safely state that the regulars here don't mind if "they aren't anything too serious," we're all interested in your honest experiences. When I joined a few years ago, it was because Wish-Not's tale of "Taps, Tinks And Toots." I wanted to let him know how his quirky ghost's activities made me laugh aloud, then to offer a suggestion or two.

From reading YGS narratives & comments, you may know that I'm agnostic; I have no specific religious conviction, but I have no wish to give offense, either. I felt sad, for a moment, that you suspected that your friend may have been a demon in disguise. You smelled his cologne, his behavior was consistent with his actions while alive, but your reaction was, "I freaked out because I was raised Baptist and am still religious and I've always been taught that once you die you are gone and not coming back." Please, continue to worship the almighty in the Baptist church, and instruct your children in your faith, too. However, it is dangerous to rely purely upon a religion's man-made dogma & rules as the only guide to interpreting events. Rely upon your faith, your Bible, and your religious leaders' counsel; pray for guidance and for discernment; avoid actions specifically prohibited by the Bible; these are all objectively GOOD standards of behavior. Never forget that the Protestant churches began with critical thinking based upon the straightforward idea, "Hey, where did these weird rules come from? God didn't mention them in the book..." The moral teachings of Jesus are admirable, but the dogmatism of ANY religion may be a well-intentioned, thoroughly-reasoned, justifiable statement based upon a human error. It is good to be a member of your faith who asks questions. If you like the answers, that's great; it's important that you think for yourself and ask the questions in the first place.

Additionally, remember that when he was resurrected, Yeshua Ben Yosef (later called "Jesus") told his **friends** over breakfast, "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." (Luke 24:39, K.J.V.). Jesus asks his friends whether or not he is a ghost; he does not deny the existence of ghosts, but he points out facts that demonstrate *HE* is not one.

Sincere Best Wishes,
Biblio.
ThePhoenixIsHere (2 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-24)
I am very sorry for your loss, but I'm certain that it was your friend that came to visit you! If you didn't feel any negative feelings like discomfort and anguish, then it probably wasn't a demon. 😊
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
I am sorry for your loss.

And it certainly makes sense you would smell his cologne in your sleep. While dreams, at least the ones that are remembered, are visual, we actually dream with all our senses. Blind people relate dreams of sounds and smells, for instance.

The thing with the clocks doesn't persuade me of much, but the other things do. Whatever this was, it had the personality of your friend.

So what would he want to tell you?
agatha23 (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-23)
That is really an interesting story! The part about the clocks is just way too coincidental! There's no way all the clocks would stop like that! Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: