You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Beautiful Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

A Beautiful Ghost

 

I asked my grandpa once if he's seen a ghost before. He let me sit on the couch and told me this story:

He said "When I was in high school we had a famous ghost story about a girl who roams our school library when she catches you alone. She would start appearing as a student and you would hear her footsteps knocking the tile floor as she walks and even the sound of books bumping the wood as she shelf them. She's beautiful, said in the story, and when you see her face something good happens to you, but it's not that easy to catch a gaze of her. One evening I overslept in the 2nd floor of the library. That was around 6:30 pm as I remember and the school completely closes on 8 pm. To my surprise I was locked inside when I went down the library's 1st floor when I woke up. I banged the door, went looking out the windows shouting for help but no one responded, and I could've jumped if I wasn't on the 4th floor. Later an hour it was growing dark. I heard footsteps closing towards me, and then books hitting a certain shelf. I was sitting on the floor leaning on the 1st shelf close to the window when I saw strands of black hair that flung 5 meters in the air, a back of a female student wearing the school uniform and the tip of her skirt that waved fading in the side of the shelf as if she made a quick turn when she saw me. I shouted "wait" then I heard her footsteps going away fast. I saw her shoulders quickly went pass the gap of the books from the opposite side of the shelf where I stood. I chased her running parallel to her pace and when I thought I'd see her as we reach the end of the shelf she's there going in-between the next shelves as if she skipped space. I ignored her weirdness and checked the door assuming she got in and opened it yet it was still locked. I turned around and saw her again entering between the 6th and 5th shelf. "Hey wait stop. Are you stuck in here too?" I asked in a loud voice as I chase her again. I wasn't sure where to look because sometimes her footsteps would sound closer or farther away or as if she's just right behind me. In a second it silenced. Thinking she might be hiding somewhere I scanned the gaps of books in the shelves trying to see if she there behind them. Searching the next shelf I accidentally bumped a book causing it to fall on my foot. When I tried to reach for it sudden pale hands quickly picked it up stocking it back on the shelf. I stepped back shocked to see it was Hellen, the girl I was developing a crush on who sits beside me in class. I was dumbfounded and we stared at each other for a minute. She smiled at me. Chills traced my body. In my mind something tells me this girl is not the real her. This one's quiet and lifeless. I was about to ask how she got here when my eyes were drawn towards sound of the opening door. When I looked back at her she disappeared. I was frightened and creep high to the skin. I headed towards the door where there I saw a blond girl wearing glasses and pulling a cart of books. It was your grandma Carrielyn 50 years younger doing her job as an assistant librarian. It was love at first sight and God knows how happy I was to see her for I was certain I'm already facing a real person. She was startled to see me and asked me couple of questions while keeping her distance. She even threatened to report me accusing me of trespassing but I calmed her telling her it was unintentional. As we spoke my eyes caught a glimpse of the ghost Hellen up the 2nd floor going behind the closest shelf. Carrielyn got angry asking if I was listening. I followed ghost Hellen with my gaze until she went out the opposite end but it wasn't Hellen anymore, it was already a ghost Carrielyn walking towards the following shelf where she vanished completely. I stare back at the real Carrielyn who's clueless of what I saw, she had an eyebrow raised and she ran through the hallways calling out the security guard."

So why would the ghost imitate Hellen or Grandma? He explained: "Nobody died in the library. What I know was because majority of the students believed a ghost exist in the library she came to existence. Saying she's beautiful was an incomplete reference so when she showed up she copied the person whom I saw beautiful. When I got the crush for Carrielyn erasing my thought of Hellen, then she copied Carrielyn."

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dropanything123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Amna2 (guest)
-3
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Hi.
Your story is too much,boring,but OK. I request you to write more stories.
Regard,
Amna ❤
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-05)
I'm sure gramps would say yeah, right? Hey, maybe 'Rapunzel' could even change into a beautiful lamp if she wanted... Why be restricted to romantic love or human form? That could be groovy...
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-05)
Shelbyloree, you made me laugh in my office Senhora LOL
So what if a guy went in and a guy spirit appeared? Will that be fair?

E.Lynx
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-04)
Yes, but would a shapeshifting Rapunzel hanging out in her mile high bookshelves turn into my beautiful husband if I walked in? Or is this strictly a ghoul that likes the dudes? That seems awfully unfair! LoL!
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-04)
Oh! April Fools in March!? Hmm... So now it seems that not only time but dates too does not matter anymore... Lol

Anymore space on the fence or do I have to sit on the bookshelf? I don't want any food and beverages in case I fall over.

E.Lynx
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-04)
I realize we'll never get an answer, but is the o/p, or grandfather, suggesting this entity is a tulpa? 😕
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
Yep, Me too. I read it yesterday and I just reread it. Hard to say, but I am always so gullible, to my detriment! Only If I'm going to sit on the fence, I want a Coke Zero and the forbidden Cheetos!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
Biblio: make room for me... I think this story was published a little too late but still close enough for April Fools'. 😆
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
Let's see...

Thermos of coffee, white chocolate chip & macadamia nut cookies, napkins, and the stepladder. Yup. Am I first one on the fence, or is everyone else sitting on the damn bookshelves?

-Biblio.
Myst (63 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
What floor was he on? I read 2nd,1st, then 4th, with no mention of going from 1st to 4th. Why not jump out the 1st floor windows?
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-03)
i think that its an error is describing it as 5 meters. If it was 5 feet, it is easy to accept.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
Lady_glow,
I'm really not sure what the OP meant about the hair thing, but the idea of a 15 foot tall ghostie had me giggling. Not sure why:)
I recently had the pleasure of visiting a newer library whose children's section boasted book shelves barely taller than me (so maybe around 5 feet tall), so the books on the top shelves were more accessible for the kids.
I also wonder if location plays a part in shelf selection. Say, in an earth quake prone area, I'm not too sure I'd want volumes toppling off on my head, or scores of 'stacks' falling like dominoes around me. Or perhaps they are somehow mounted in place?
Roylynx, it's possible in a fall from any height for someone to break their neck or suffer a serious injury resulting in death. That's part of why most libraries no longer use the rolling 'ladders' but more of a rolling staircase (similar to one the use for boarding planes). The more gradual incline decreases the risk of falling - at least in theory.
When I was in high school, I worked in the school's library for a while. We had a rolling ladder, and I do recall one of the other helpers taking a tumble while trying to descend with an arm-load of books. Fractured his ankle, if memory serves. I do know the next day all students were restricted from using it, and we'd have to fetch the librarian if we wanted something from the top shelves.
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
I once visited a big library where the book shelves are floors high and I know of some accidents where students or users of the library has fell and injured themselves, unknown but perhaps there were death cases too?

Senhora lady-glow, just my guess I think the OP literally meant the he saw those black hair floating 5meters up in the air, then saw the female student... Like an apparition thingy... Just guessing, we can only guess since there will be no answer from the OP.

E.Lynx
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
...Or does he mean that the girl was about five meters away from his grandfather.

Dropanything's input would be appreciated.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
Valkricry: I have never seen bookshelves that tall... Guess I need to visit more libraries.

Still, there's something I don't get about that particular paragraph, the fact that the hair was five meters on the air.

Does it mean that the girl he saw was walking in the second floor of the library? Or does he mean that the girl was floating? Or, even worse, that she was over 15 feet tall or she was walking in the same floor his young grandfather was but her hair was as long as Rapunzel's and some invisible force made it flow upwards? 😕

I know... I have a vivid imagination...
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
This story seems to drift into the realm of quantum theory and I think it raises an interesting idea. Commenters have discussed in threads generated from other stories the idea that by fixating on the paranormal (through obsessive thoughts, extensive research, etc), one can attract paranormal activity to oneself even unwittingly. That idea presupposes that the paranormal entities are already 'out there' like fish in a pond, abundant but invisible just beneath the surface, ready to be lured by the energies and intents of the living. But, what if the opposite could be considered? That these entities can be coalesced by the formative force of human thought - as in there are not whole entities floating about in the ether but instead unspecified energy that must be focused through a process of human ideation. The idea that we forge our own ghosts is an interesting one.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
Perhaps, I can be of some assistance?
I believe dropanything meant that the ghost at different times appeared as Hellen and then as Carrielyn, actually being neither one of them. This line, " Saying she's beautiful was an incomplete reference so when she showed up she copied the person whom I saw beautiful. When I got the crush for Carrielyn erasing my thought of Hellen, then she copied Carrielyn," leads me to think that's what was meant.
Lady-glow, at many colleges and universities (as well as in some libraries) it is not unusual to find bookshelves extending within just a few feet of the ceiling, to actually being ceiling height.
The 'stacks' (those that form the aisles) generally run around 7.5 feet (90 inches). I hope that helps.
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
Mystic story, is it kind of hard to understand? I know what is going on but I did not get the details:- (

E.Lynx
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
lady-glow - Darn! I didn't realize that the OP was not prepared to participate in the discussion, otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered to express an opinion!

That will teach me to read that particular paragraph in future. If people are not prepared to participate, sorry but it makes me a little dubious about what they are publishing!

Hopefully the OP will decide to participate in the discussion after all.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
Your grandfather is a great storyteller.

I see you won't participate in the discussion but, if you decide to a answer our questions, I would like to know what you mean by:

"...I saw strands of black hair that flung 5 meters in the air, a back of a female student wearing the school uniform and the tip of her skirt that waved fading in the side of the shelf as if she made a quick turn when she saw me..."

I'm struggling to understand the practicality of such high bookshelves.😕
ozuckky (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
I realize the heading says that you are from New Jersey, but I have to ask if English is your second language? Certain words you used made your story difficult to understand.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-02)
dropanything123 - Perhaps I'm being totally thick but I became a bit lost in your account of your grandpa's experience.

So in fact both Hellen and Carrielyn were human but at times seemed to appear to him as ghosts?

Sorry, I'm confused. Perhaps you can help me understand this a little bit better. I'm not knocking your story but am having a little difficulty putting it together. I know you said Carrielyn is your grandmother and Hellen sat next to your grandpa in class.

Nevertheless, if I am understanding it correctly, it certainly is a very weird experience. So in fact there was no actual ghost involved here?

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: