You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House With The Furnace

Real Ghost Stories

The House With The Furnace

 

This abandoned house trip took place on an even more dreary night than the previous adventure. The moon was full and it was a foggy chilly night. My friend Donnie was telling me about this abandoned house that he had previously went into with another friend, Austin. He began describing it as a big, old but nice house. Having 2 floors, a basement, and an attic.

The house was relatively still packed like the occupants had moved years and years ago but left a lot of their belongings and food and other weird and yet mysterious items. The basement was full of file cabinets and a weird and creepy like infirmary style furnace which seems to me like a morgue or something (especially with the file cabinets & medical books). There were two random holes in the wall which I've never personally seen but have had them described to me as being parallel to each other and looked like two bodies could have laid next to each other & previously had been hidden behind the brick wall (until the wall was mysteriously partially knocked down exposing the unknown ditches behind it).

The first floor still had a TV, a bench that's also a chest, a kitchen full of food, and a desk full of books and papers. I've personally never seen the upper floors of the house but from Donnie's description it had a lot of stuff like clothes and suitcases and other things & the attic had a bed with stuff piled on it which to me seems odd because what's under the pile?

Anyways, after it being described to me I decided I wanted to check it out. Coincidentally on a cold, foggy night, and most oddly there was a full moon. It was probably 11 or so at night when me and Donnie eventually decided to go. On the way to the abandoned house we started to get a little creeped out, thinking about the other abandoned house and how this night was more eerie than it was then. We felt this weird attraction to the house, I don't know why or how to explain it. It just simply felt like something wanted us there. On the way there we started to think about crazy stuff like portals to Hell & just over thinking how creepy it was, like thinking about what we would do if we went in the house and got locked in by the doors slamming shut behind us and really just over thinking it.

We finally arrived at the long grown-up, narrow driveway which in itself was already creepy. The fog was so thick you could barely see 50ft in front of you. The fields surrounding the house looking as if they were almost glowing because the fog was so thick and white.

We made our way up the long narrow driveway and made it to the backside of the house. I had a sense of someone watching me but was so intrigued at how astonishingly creepy yet beautiful this house was. We made our way to the back porch were the doors were oddly already opened as if someone just invited us in.

We made our way onto the porch and started going into the front door when suddenly, out of complete nowhere something ran at us with devastating force. The only logical way I can describe it is something came at us so hard and with heavy loud banging and crashing sounds that it sounded like it had to be the size of a bear. The speed of which this unknown creature charged us as fast as a cheetah. So big as a bear and fast as a cheetah. The sounds were so loud that it sounded like everything in the room had been lifted and thrown and tables, chairs, papers and just everything in the room being thrown around like a hurricane forced wind had just blown through. The speed of which this creature moved is highly intriguing because it moved from the whole other side of the house to right beside us in the blink of an eye.

I, out of instinct ran as fast as I could. Leaving Donnie behind and looking as I was about halfway down the driveway expecting something to be behind him. At this moment I thought, well this is it. It's time to fight for my life, something came at us and it meant to hurt us. The only thing I could do was try to think of a logical explanation. The only somewhat logical explanation I could think of was that it was a coyote because I figured no other animal would have charged at us like that. I also didn't think about how loud and big it sounded. I just tried to make a logical explanation and didn't want to think of it as being super natural. I decided well I'm going back, if it was a coyote I would beat it with a fence-post that I had found in the driveway. Donnie was quite hesitant but as I made my way towards the house he followed.

We walked into the house still in shock and creeped out, and ventured into the kitchen, then to the hallway, then to the living room where there were open bibles placed directly in the middle of the floor. The hallway was where the basement steps were located. Donnie looked as if he was puzzled that the basement door was also opened like once again something wanted us to come in. There was a sticky note beside the door that wasn't there the last time Donnie came and which was odd because the note was old (you could tell by the aging and discoloration). The handwriting on the note was in small sloppy cursive which looked to be doctors handwriting. The only parts I could make out was stairs, right, and please. Which was creepy in itself, being that the file cabinets were located at the right of the steps.

Donnie and I came to the assumption that maybe something bad had taken place here and the answers were in the file cabinets and something wanted us to find out, while something also didn't want us there. It seemed like something bad had happened and maybe a body was burned in the furnace and the filing cabinets may have medical files or maybe even murder weapons I don't know but that's our assumption.

Still creeped out we decided to leave and on the way out I visioned someone behind me, not physically but mentally envisioned a man. Tall in stature, grey-ish beard and grey-ish hair, long sleeve darkish blue striped shirt, and jeans. He was standing there on the back porch just watching us leave. He stood there motionless, expressionless and had a blank slightly disturbing look on his face, he looked kind of mad. I didn't say anything to Donnie until we had gotten back to his house. When I told him, he looked at me in disbelief and said "there's no way! There's a picture in the attic of a man exactly like you described even the clothes". I turned around, creeped out, and said "dude there's no way". I was in disbelief because there's no way I just imagined a man so vividly out of nowhere and it actually being a former occupant of the house. Who was this guy? Was he good or bad? No one knows but I'm still in disbelief because it's crazy.

When I was younger, maybe 4 or 5 I dreamt that my grandmother had passed away. In my dream she was wearing a burgundy maybe maroon night-robe. She was in the bathroom and had a heart attack and fell and hit her head on the toilet. I woken up the next morning to my mother telling me that my grandma passed away and as creepy as it was I already knew. I asked my aunt only several years back if she had a burgundy/maroon gown and it turns out she was wearing it the day she passed away. It gives me chills thinking about it because when the doctors found her she had blood coming from her ears and the doctors couldn't determine why when in my dream she hit her head on the toilet. So I'm the only one who knows exactly how she died. The creepy thing is, I've never really seen the inside of my grandmas house yet in my dream everything was placed perfectly with where it really was. Gives me chills thinking about it. It's hard to believe your mind can picture something so vividly and be so precise to reality. I never would have thought I'd imagine something so vivid after that dream until the night I saw that man. His face still haunts me to this day and I can still see it perfectly.

Other hauntings by Aaron94

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aaron94, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-04)
Hey funeralmass! I am from the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area too! Cheers!
funeralmass (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-18)
Hi Aaron, may I ask where in VA you are from (I am from the Hampton Roads/Tidewater region)?

Interesting story. Where is this house? I have some more questions for you but it's 6:30 AM where I am so I need to get ready for the daily grind. I'll get back to you again, I was just checking the site as I was unable to sleep last night (always fun when you have a full day, and maybe night, ahead of you).
BrokenTree (76 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-17)
I, out of instinct ran as fast as I could.

This statement is going into my book of quotes.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-15)
Greetings, Aaron, and Welcome.

When I moved to the US, my parents bought a brand-new house in the one habitable lot on an 8-acre field (with an uninhabitable 10-acre field opposite). In the back corner of the field was a creepy-looking abandoned house my brother and I "investigated" twice. While nothing happened there, I know that, sometimes,*everything* is left behind. In fact, the only truly horrifying thing was the kitchen floor which had so many rotten timbers that it had become a linoleum-lined funnel into the basement.

That said, there were coyotes that used to sleep under my back deck on *really* cold nights, so they could get the heat from our furnace. They didn't like to be surprised, but our dogs would behave very cautiously when they knew they were there. Once, they did wake up and stalk us to the bus stop before school one morning, but we'd woken them up and they were watching to see what we were up to: that's about it. Coyotes are pack hunters, and will only charge toward prey when they are in a small-to-medium pack,; if they are rabid, they'll attack solo, but that's a rarity.

I'm presuming that by "bear," you're referring to the adult Black Bear, which grows up to 220-260 lbs. A Grizzly Bear, on the other hand, is much larger; adult males clock in at approximately 600 lbs., while the females are less than 500 lbs. The top speed of an adult Cheetah is roughly 70 mph. Using the handy physics Free Impact Force Calculator (calculator.tutorvista.com/impact-force-calculator.html), and getting the metric conversions from Google, I determined the impact of an adult black bear travelling at the speed of a cheetah. So, 240 lbs = 108. 862 kg, and 70 mph = 31. 2928 meters/second, for a duration of 1 second is 6813. 1935871999995 Newtons; that's like being tackled in High School football. I'd suggest for speed and impact, a Great Dane would have been more likely. Now, was there a smell in the house -other than musty decay- that would have helped determine what you were dealing with?

There's just too much of your account that relies upon your friend's description and his prior experiences in the rooms of house which you did not see.

Additional point, you have my sympathies on the Cluster Headaches. We were tested for Cluster Headaches in my family, but --as more detailed research is done on Clusters-- it turns out we (Grandpa, Dad, and I) only get crippling migraines.

As for the supernatural element, here, i'm afraid I'm joining the line on the fence.

Best,
Biblio.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+5
7 years ago (2017-04-11)
I can understand a sudden loud noise and movement coming at you out of the blue in an old abandoned house sounding 'as big as a bear, as fast as a cheetah' to two hyped up teenagers. There could have been squatters or a pack of raccoons or hunting dogs that were disturbed by your approach and took off all at once. And, yes, I can absolutely see two teens turning around and heading right back after they have been given clear indication that the place is not safe and they should be headed home - no offense but...teenagers.

As to the stuff left in the house - a friend's parents bought a long deserted beautiful old house in rural Va (South Boston) and there was a remarkable amount of stuff left in it that had clearly been there for decades (evidenced by styles and expiration dates) - perhaps there isn't as much scavenging in rural areas and small town communities... Or maybe nobody wants expired canned goods and a busted old TV (thrift shops won't even take them these days).

As for what the house was... Lots of folks keep filing cabinets in out of the way places like closets and basements. Many times furnaces/water heaters are also down there and older models can appear frightfully large and ominous to a modern (hyped up teenage) eye (in the dark) (of an abandoned house's basement). So there are no guarantees about the doctor bit or even the holes in the wall having any sinister meaning. I grant, it *could* have been a doctor's home/office, or a mortician's/funeral parlor (seems more likely based on what you described), taxidermist, etc... I am not at all inclined to believe it was a former Nazi's experimental lair - and, with all do respect Kiki, not all 'German Doctors' are or ever were Nazis. There are plenty of hideous things that normal doctors can do (operating both in and outside the bounds of their hypocratic oath and the law) - from necessary amputations to traumatic abortions - that could germinate a bit of spiritual activity.

So, you went to an abandoned house in the dark, found the doors open, got spooked by a loud moving sound, found a post-it and envisioned a fellow on the porch as you left. Paranormal? Well, sure, it's always a possibility. But, honestly, I am leaning towards 'normal'. Maybe do some research on the house - ask around, hit the local library, pay a visit to the local newspaper office, city hall etc... It could make for a fun project (and something that would make for a great paper for a class) and you might dig up something interesting! If you go back be careful and take pictures - maybe try an EVP.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-11)
Hi Aaron,

I'm sorry to say, but this story is just full of holes. There are too many contradictions for me to coherently follow what you are relaying.

A lot of what you wrote comes across as jumping to conclusions and hearsay. In your first paragraph you wrote,
"The basement was full of file cabinets and a weird and creepy like infirmary style furnace which seems to me like a morgue or something (especially with the file cabinets & medical books). There were two random holes in the wall which I've never personally seen but have had them described to me as being parallel to each other and looked like two bodies could have laid next to each other & previously had been hidden behind the brick wall (until the wall was mysteriously partially knocked down exposing the unknown ditches behind it) " and then this sticky note next to the door to the basement with some illegible writing on it, some more assumptions and then you got creeped out and left.

So did you actually go into the basement?

You wrote that whatever rushed at you was "as big as a bear and fast as a cheetah" but you brush it off as possibly a coyote? Really? You ran for 150ft and then turned around and just went back to have a closer look? Really?

I am skeptical of this one.
scariestnight (2 posts)
-4
7 years ago (2017-04-10)
Hi Aaron - this is an incredible account.

Would you be able to shoot me an email at scharlton [at] ourhousemedia.com?

I think your story could feature in a new Paranormal series currently being made.
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Aaron94, thanks for sharing your experience! I know that you have had a lot of questions put to you about your story and mainly, about the way that you wrote and described your experience. I think it's because if this is indeed a true story with 100% accurate and true details, then it would be an amazing and astonishing encounter and perhaps even truly paranormal. The only thing that made me doubt your story was the number of times that you said, "I have never seen it for myself" or "I don't know for sure as I have never been in that area for myself, but, Donnie said..." It makes it sound like Donnie could have made it up and I don't know for sure if Donnie was being honest or trying to scare you or make you believe in something?

If it was a paranormal experience, it sounds to me like he could have been a German Doctor escaping the armies who rounded them up after the holocaust. Maybe, he continued his practices after the war or stored some important information there? Again, we will never know because although you said, you thought the answers would be in the cabinets, you never explored the cabinets for yourself. And although, Donnie saw the picture of the man in the attic, just, like you described, you cannot say for certain that there is a picture of the man in the attic!

It gets really difficult for people to "iron out" or smooth out a story and understand it fully if the Author doesn't have the facts.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Aaron,

Thank you for your reply and the explanation it provides and please excuse me if I still have some questions concerning this experience.

First let me say I believe you and your friend went to an 'out of the way' abandoned home. It's the possible causes of what you experienced that I am questioning.

(From your Reply)

"Within the blink of an eye it moved through a whole house. We heard it across the house and literally in the blink of an eye, it was right beside us, that's why we ran. We didn't even make it all the way down the drive way before we decided to go back. We went right back after running maybe 150 feet and when we went back there were no signs of anything being there other than things that were on the counters and tables we now thrown all over the place."


Again, you have admitted that you and your friend 'worked yourselves up' concerning what you may find inside this building. Because of this If 1-3 or 4 people were in the home as you and you friend approached the door and they 'headed for the windows' it may have SOUNDED to you like a 'single thing' charging AT you.

If this was your first time to 'investigate' this place how do you know what was on the counters/tables compared to what was on the floor?

Respectfully,

Rook
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Hello Aaron. First of all it's a well written story (I guess). True or not thanks for sharing
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
Aaron hi,

When you started describing what the man you saw in your "mind's eye" looked like, I half expected you to say he was wearing a white doctor's coat, black rimmed spectacles and a stethoscope hanging around his neck. 🤔

I enjoyed the disappointment, was like; "Aah dang!"
Aaron94 (3 stories) (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
Also, the reason I know that my grandmother's house matched what was in my dream is because when I met up with my aunt, I saw pictures and the piano by the stairs, the wall color, the position of the stairs and bathroom and everything matched.
Aaron94 (3 stories) (3 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
I take no offense to anyone's criticism because I know some of its hard to believe. The reason I started this story the way I did is because I had a previous experience that I wrote about before this one. I'm thinking about writing a book of my experiences. The reason I wrote this the way I did was simply to give as many details as possible and to make it as intriguing as possible. Every bit of this story was true and the friend I was with can vouche for that.

The home having so much stuff was odd but the house was overridden and slightly fallen apart. The food that was there was expired in 70's and 80's. Nobody had cut the grass, checked the mail, helped upkeep the house or anything and the house had been ransacked previously to us ever being there.

My "logical explanation", was because we were off the road a good ways, there's coyotes in my area, and the doors were left open for quite some time. The speed in which the unknown moved was not humanly possible. Within the blink of an eye it moved through a whole house. We heard it across the house and literally in the blink of an eye, it was right beside us, that's why we ran. We didn't even make it all the way down the drive way before we decided to go back. We went right back after running maybe 150 feet and when we went back there were no signs of anything being there other than things that were on the counters and tables we now thrown all over the place.

The experience with my grandmother was unexplainable. My father left my mother before I was born and ended up going to prison shortly after I was born for robbery. I never got to spend time with his side of the family, no happy birthday calls, merry Christmas or anything. I simply didn't even know who they were other than seeing pictures. My dad was still in prison when his mother passed away so I never got to meet her. I was around 5 or so when she passed and that night is when I had the dream. I had no way of knowing any of the details because I had never been to her house and I didn't talk to that side of my family and still don't. The only reason I know for sure what she was wearing and stuff is because when I was a teenager I met up with my aunt and talked to her about it and she confirmed everything that I had dreamt about. I'm not sure who found her though, just that when she was found, she was bleeding from her ear.

Also, coincidentally, both her and I have a rare condition called cluster headaches and I've never met or personally heard of anyone else who has had them.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
For me, and no offence intended, but this story simply doesn't ring true. Other readers have clearly expressed their skepticism and fair enough too.
It seems to me the whole premise is based on a typical cliche-ridden horror story / film.

My personal feelings about this site is that we all attempting to understand spiritual activity through sharing genuine experiences. I believe this site should not be used as a platform for fictional accounts that simply muddy the already murky waters of our understanding of the other side.

This story just doesn't seem logical or rational (like most horror films)

Sorry, I'm on the fence on this one waiting for the bus.
"Tickets please!"

Regards
Mack
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
Rook,
In fairness to the OP, he did submit another story prior this. Apparently he did not check to see if it had been published before submitting this one.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
Questions, questions.

First: You begin your narrative with this comment...

"This abandoned house trip took place on an even more dreary night than the previous adventure."

What previous adventure, this is the only one you seemed to have shared with us, or do you have another profile we need to know about?

Second: This comment, "The house was relatively still packed like the occupants had moved years and years ago but left a lot of their belongings and food and other weird and yet mysterious items."

And this comment,

"The first floor still had a TV, a bench that's also a chest, a kitchen full of food, and a desk full of books and papers."

Books, paper (s), file cabinets even mattress's and other odd bits of furniture I understand but 'Food and the TV' still being there? Even if the home was abandoned in a hurry and 'left open' things like TV's and remaining edible 'tidbits' tend to get acquired and taken away.

Third: "Anyways, after it being described to me I decided I wanted to check it out. Coincidentally on a cold, foggy night, and most oddly there was a full moon."

Seems to contradict your opening comment... (see my 'First Question').

Fourth: The 'work up/psych out'

"On the way there we started to think about crazy stuff like portals to Hell & just over thinking how creepy it was, like thinking about what we would do if we went in the house and got locked in by the doors slamming shut behind us and really just over thinking it."

Fifth: Two points concerning this next 'quote'...

"We made our way up the long narrow driveway and made it to the backside of the house. I had a sense of someone watching me but was so intrigued at how astonishingly creepy yet beautiful this house was. We made our way to the back porch were the doors were oddly already opened as if someone just invited us in.

We made our way onto the porch and started going into the front door when suddenly, out of complete nowhere something ran at us with devastating force."

Feeling of being watched as you made your way around to the back of the house and up to the 'front door'? Which is it, open front porch/door or open back porch/door?

And

Something 'rushed' at you, knocking things aside scarring you so much you bolted, running off as fast as you could.

You mention a bit later the only LOGICAL thing you could think of was that it may have been a coyote...REALLY? It couldn't have been some homeless person (s) BOLTING out of their shelter because they thought you may have been the Police? Or maybe just trying to scare you away? You are on record about how you and your friend 'worked yourselves up about who/what' you may find in the house.

I could keep going but instead I think I will join lady-glow on the fence and call for Pizza and my good Friend Puff... Me thinks this fence will become a Bus Stop.

Respectfully,

Rook
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
Uh...really? I have few questions about the following part of your experience:

"...She was in the bathroom and had a heart attack and fell and hit her head on the toilet..."

"...when the doctors found her she had blood coming from her ears and the doctors couldn't determine why when in my dream she hit her head on the toilet. So I'm the only one who knows exactly how she died..."

Do you mean "the doctors" were the ones finding your grandma's body? Did they (doctors) use to pay regular visits to her place? Did she have time to call someone or 911 when she began feeling sick? Do you know how much time had passed between her death and the moment they found her?
If she fell in the bathroom after having a heart attack, would it be that hard to think that she hit her head? Was she still in the bathroom when "the doctors" arrived to her house? Was an autopsy performed? Did the coroner report finding any trauma to her head?
An autopsy would show all this information.

"...The creepy thing is, I've never really seen the inside of my grandmas house yet in my dream everything was placed perfectly with where it really was..."

Did you go to your grandma's place after her death and had a chance to compare it to your dream?

I would say your Grandmother showed you the way she died.

As for the rest of your story well, there's too much to take in... I pass to comment and better seat on the fence solving some Sudoku puzzles.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: