You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Son Who Refuses To Believe

Real Ghost Stories

My Son Who Refuses To Believe

 

Firstly, I realise there is a great possibility that this story will not be published. It basically relates to one rather uninteresting incident and my sceptical son.

My second born, Kevin, who now lives in Missisauga, Canada, is a total unbeliever in virtually anything spiritual and this makes me rather sad as both my eldest son and my daughter (especially the eldest) have some leanings towards spirituality. In fact the eldest has experienced a number of very unusual incidents.

I think I was born with the ability to see, hear and feel various entities but not the ability to hold conversations with them. I talk, they don't reply.

I have related quite a few of my experiences to my children and two of them listen quite eagerly with a remark or a question here and there. Kevin simply smiles, laughs, or passes a funny remark.

One Sunday evening I had an experience where I felt an entity standing behind me in my study, my hair raised on my head, goose bumps, the works. I thought it might have been a neighbour who had passed away approximately a week prior to this. My PC, which I was working on at the time, suddenly went blank and equally suddenly was filled with all sorts of numbers, emoticons, etc. At the time I had two cats who virtually flew out of the study towards the kitchen area. My husband, Kevin, my daughter and her then boyfriend were sitting in the lounge watching a movie. Of course I related to them what had just happened. The boyfriend was sceptical, said nothing but my husband and daughter "sort of" believed me. Kevin was virtually rolling on the floor with laughter. He said: "Mom if it's a ghost just tell it to fix it up. If it can't fix it Ill come and help you after the movie" and carried on laughing. I stormed out of the lounge, angry and worried as it was a project I was working on and couldn't afford to lose the work. This was my bread and butter, it was work, not simply fooling around. So I returned to the study, screen now blank, asked the ghost to please return my work. Nothing happened. I went to the bathroom, returned to the study and lo and behold there was my work.

I know that some of the readers will find this a little difficult to swallow, as did my son. I have many faults but one of them is not offloading a bunch of rubbish as far as the supernatural is concerned! By the way, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my PC. This happened while I was fully concentrating on what I was doing, working flat out, until the ghost decided to pay a visit.

I am not going to go into all the events where my own son thought I was the star of the comedy show. I have already published some of them and have more to add in the near future.

One day I told him that after I die he will be the first one I'll haunt. His reply to me? "Mom please make it during the week at 05:30 and bring me a cup of coffee."

Actually Kevin tends to be the joker in the family, always has a wise crack but never nasty in the way he puts things. Usually has the whole family in stitches.

One of the reasons I am posting this is because for the past few days he has been in my thoughts constantly. Canada is very far from South Africa and I miss him and his family pretty badly.

By the way, will I be able to haunt him in Canada? Haven't visited him there yet lol, might lose my way!

Melda

Other hauntings by Melda

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melda, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-04)
Notjustme - Nice to hear from you.

How fortunate you are that your mother visits you. Mine does occasionally in my dreams but I would love to see her standing in front of me face to face. She knows I would be able to see her and she wouldn't frighten me. However, for all I know she's moved on to the extent that she doesn't want to appear.

People rolling their eyes? Yes I've been there. Nowadays I simply don't say anything about my experiences, except to people very close to me. If they roll their eyes it's done in a funny sort of way. All the people close to me accept what I am. People that I meet casually? Well I don't say a word. I've learnt from past experience that the less said the better πŸ˜†

Regards, Melda
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-03)
Haha yes you will be able to haunt him from anywhere and forever. My mom does for me. ❀ I think some people just choose not to think about anything that is out of the ordinary for a various of reasons. I am the "different" one out of my batch of cousins because I will openly talk about my beliefs and spirits and all sorts of "nonsense: to some. Some of my cousins will listen and be on the fence and some will roll their eyes. But I know they are curious too. They just don't want to shift out of what they have been taught their whole lives. Or change their comfortable ways of mentality. Especially if they cannot explain what they've seen or felt. I always say why can't science mix with spirit? Spirit science anyone? Great thing to watch by the way on youtube. I believe Kevin will one day see or feel or have an experience of his own. Possibly from you πŸ˜‰
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-03)
Rex-T - Sorry, Kevin has been in Canada for two years not three! Anyway, it feels like ten 😒

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-03)
Rex-T - Thanks for your comment.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my PC. My older son, Craig, who is an electronic engineer, checked it for me as well - no problem to be found anywhere! Not that electronic engineers are all knowing but he's pretty good at these things.

When I talk about the hair on my arms and neck raising and the weird feeling I had, I know exactly what it was. This is something I have experienced since childhood. It was a ghost - as plain and simple as that. I am also 90% certain that it was my neighbour Em. I can't even begin to explain it but the way I related my experience is how it happened.

Thanks so much for commenting and I really loved your story. I hope others will read your account because I'm sure they'll like it as well. Unfortunately when we publish our experiences we don't know what kind of response we'll get.

I'm sure Kevin is a whiter shade of pale at this stage anyway, having been in Canada for three years. That's coming from sunny South Africa where he'd be bronze in summer and the winters there seem to be pretty long! That's a long time not being able to give him a hug and a kiss. Before I get sad, I'll move on 😊

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-03)
Hey Melda, just read your story about your computer and skeptic son Kevin. Couldn't help but notice that it is still drawing comments (as it should!).
Having been exposed to minor electric shocks while working on telephones, I am a bit concerned about what you felt prior to your computer (PC) having a fit. If you think that you could have been shocked please get your PC and power cord inspected by a qualified electrician.
If the ghostly visitor was the problem, could she/he/it have been 'miffed' because all your attention was on the PC and decided a more direct approach was needed to announce their presence? May have been Arthur as I suspect that he would have gotten into the Internet by now!
As for Kevin, try to make it to Canada in this life. Just make sure you've got the camera primed to take that "whiter shade of pale" shot.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
L-Melb - Nice to hear from you again.

Something definitely messed with my PC. I can't actually say I felt any static. I don't know whether you have experienced the presence of a spirit, not necessarily seeing it but you feel the hair at the back of your neck starting to rise, as well as a weird cold feeling down your arms and back, almost like goosebumps.

I believe the cats saw this entity and it scared them, which is why they bolted. They were only kittens at the time.

I'm almost convinced that this was my neighbour who passed away a number of years ago - it would be typical of her πŸ˜† She knew I believed in the supernatural but she didn't believe at all, so maybe she was saying hey, you were right after all?

I don't mind at all if you prefer to find a logical solution - I normally do the same. It's only when I can't find one that I shout ghost!

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
Jubeele - Thanks for your comment. Yes this particular son of mine is quite the joker. I'd love to present him with a cup of coffee and see him turn a whiter shade of pale πŸ˜†

Regards, Melda
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
Hi Melda, I just read this again and I wanted to ask if you thought it may have been an electrical issue.
The way your hair stood up, the cats scooting and the PC screen problem seem fishy. Then again I know nothing about what kind of electrical issue (I don't even change light bulbs!)
Glad it all worked out 😊
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
This is what I call "ghost in the machine". So funny. Be sure to spill a bit of coffee over your son - that would certainly get his attention!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
Jamieqi - Thanks for reading. Yes you're quite right, I just might have a lot of time on my hands. Think of all the travelling I could do πŸ˜†

Regards, Melda
Jamieqi (3 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-04)
I like this story, both serious and funny. I think you would be able to haunt him in Canada seeing that you won't need a plane ticket to get on a plane lol. πŸ˜† And time is all you would have...
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-15)
Val - And isn't it also amazing how animals become your children, especially when all your children leave home?😊. I've always loved my animals but when it's only you and them, they seem to assume a different identity!

Regards, Melda
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-15)
BeagleMom and Melda,
Just thought I'd chime in here. Choosing not to have children seems to be quite the norm for Millennials. I'd known for quite sometime that my daughter has opted not to join the ranks of motherhood. She's 30 now. And as much as I'd love grandkids, I stand by her decision.
Her life. But she's one who likes to 'compromise'. So she adopted - a puppy, who she insists IS my granddaughter. Lol At Christmas there was even a present addressed to "Grandma" from Tater. Not really what I had in mind...lol
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-15)
BeagleMom - Thanks very much! Some people just don't want children, it's their choice. I've often wondered what my life would have been without children and grandchildren but I can't put myself in that place, never been in that situation. Life would be a lot more calm and far less worrying though 😊

Regards, Melda
Denise
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-14)
Hi Melda!

Congrats on the new set of Baby Legs! My only child, a son (unmarried and pushing 39) just rolls his eyes when I muse out loud about grandchildren... 'nuff said!

❀
Mother of Beagles
Carolyn
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-14)
Argette - When I felt the presence behind me, the first thing that came to mind was that it could have been my neighbor.

For some reason she became quite attached to me. I was the only one she trusted to look after her house and animals if she and her family went on vacation.

I don't know with certainty that it was her. Actually in life she was quite a nosy person so I wouldn't put it past her to have a go at my computer just for fun πŸ˜†

Regards, Melda
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-14)
Canada is wonderful! I'd go there anytime.;)

Attributing computer highjinks is to an entity is entirely believable. What made you think it was your recently-departed neighbor?
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-14)
BeagleMom - I'm glad you liked my story. Strange that the dog eating the homework occurred to me as well!

Perhaps "somebody" decided that you should rely more on your memory 😜. I hope you have a great vacation in the UK 😊

By the way I left a message for you on my story "A Beautiful Warm Experience" re the new "baby legs".

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-14)
Beautinside - Thanks for reading. I don't mind if people don't believe in the supernatural. I learned when I was young that you just don't talk about these things if you want to be considered halfway sane. I don't appreciate being laughed at by one of my own children though!

Believe me, I intend visiting Canada while I'm still very much alive πŸ˜†.

Regards, Melda
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-13)
Melda,

Having a ghost crash your PC with important court transcriptions on it is akin to having my Shiloh (sweet Beagle) "Eat your Homework". Loved your story! Just today I noticed everything that I have saved in my"Flagged" file on email has gone. Don't know where. I know I didn't delete it! They are all things I needed to keep handy in regards to an upcoming UK vacation. Hopefully Friend Husband has hard copies somewhere!

Still having a good laugh at your story!

❀
Mother of Beagles
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-13)
I'm glad you didn't lose your work...
Still don't know if my children will be sceptics or believers. Either way you made a good statement by saying that you will haunt your son if he doesn't start believing and I might take it as an advice if I ever need to lol
Really enjoyed your story, and I firmly believe that you could find your way to Canada even if just to haunt but trully hope it will take a very, very looooong time πŸ˜‰
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-10)
lady-glow - I'am glad you enjoyed reading my story.

That's a good idea, I'll tell him that. I wouldn't want to go to all that effort without at least receiving an acknowledgment!

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Melda: Fascinating story. I'm sure you will be able to visit (haunt) your son... Not so sure about preparing coffee for him, though.
Tell him to acknowledge your presence saying "Mom, you're right"

Thanks for sharing.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Val - Sorry, I meant screen, not keyboard. I'll chant this to a tune: 50, 50, 50, eventually we'll reach 50 if we but only try 😊

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Val - There's nothing to forgive! It seems that we have one or two things in common, being your mom and I had visits from similar entities and we both have kids that laugh at us 😊. Kevin has often joked that this is my "funniest" story yet.

I don't know whether this ghost was trying to give me some sort of message. If it was, I definitely did not get it from the rubbish that came up on my keyboard πŸ˜†. If I had seen it, I'd have hit it with a toothbrush. (Don't know whether you've read that specific post.) Fortunately I got the work sent off a few hours after the incident.

Well, at least I know I won't have to hang around Toronto asking people who can't see me for directions to Mississauga!

Regards, Melda
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Melda, forgive me but this had me shaking my head and chuckling in a very good way. Kevin's reactions sound SO familiar compared to my own kids. 😊
OY! The computer thing, I totally get. There are times I have deadlines to meet for some graphics and if the computer decides it's time to play up - it can feel cataclysmic! I can't help wondering if all the numbers, emoticons, etc, were maybe some kind of message, like hieroglyphics.
As for haunting your son... Most definitely you will be able to find him no matter where he tries to hide. Muhahahaha!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Argette - I have just realised that your comment "how frustrating" was probably regarding my work and not my wayward son!

I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrating it was. I used to do court transcriptions (from home) and this particular case that I was working on had to reach the advocates by about 07:00 in the morning, before the trial recommenced. You don't fool around with the courts 😐. Can you imagine the reaction I would have received if I had made the excuse that a ghost caused my PC to crash 😨? Heaven forbid!

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Manafon - You're right, these otherworldly beings do have a knack of showing up at the most unexpected, and sometimes inconvenient, times!

The haunting of my son in Canada was actually a joke but maybe if I would like to visit him in Canada in a jiffy while alive I can try to do so in an OBE! He'd probably find that far more scary πŸ˜†

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-09)
Argette - It is indeed frustrating but what can I do? You raise your kids until young adulthood and after that their beliefs and choices are their own!

It's not so good when your children move to other countries but many people with loads of potential are leaving SA because the country is in rapid decline 😒. In my son's case, he works for an international company and was transferred by the company.

Thanks for commenting.

Regards, Melda
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-04-08)
Melda--Your account was a very enjoyable read. I had two comments. Concerning your computer issue, you state, "This happened while I was fully concentrating on what I was doing..." Ghosts often do their thing when people are distracted or are in some way disengaged from the world around them. It makes sense that this ghost messed with your computer while you were focused on it completely and not thinking of anything remotely supernatural.

Also wanted to add that you will certainly be able to haunt your son in Canada. After my Mom's death, she visited me in Westmont, Illinois in a house she had never visited. She passed away in Florida. So no worries, you will be able to haunt your son. It's too bad we can't visit loved ones so instantaneously while alive.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: