You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Disturbed Sleep

Real Ghost Stories

Disturbed Sleep

 

When I was fourteen and living in my old house in the rolling green hills of Somerset UK, I experienced sleep paralysis for the first time. At the time I had never heard of it, and it scared me so bad that I couldn't sleep for weeks. But it was more than just waking up and being unable to move. I woke up to the bed shaking uncontrollably, I could hear it creaking very loudly. I tried to scream for help but I couldn't move or scream. I laid awake all night paralyzed in fear. The next day I asked my mother if she had heard any noise coming from my room, or if she had felt a small earthquake. She said she'd heard nothing, so I brushed it off as a nightmare.

A few weeks later, I was just drifting off to sleep, when I was awoken by what felt like someone punching the pillow three times next to my face. I opened my eyes and there was nothing there, and once again I was unable to move or scream for what felt like a couple of minutes.

Later on I did a bit of research on sleep paralysis, and it put my mind at ease knowing there was some sort of scientific explanation, and I was not alone in experiencing this.

I have experienced sleep paralysis quite a a lot through the years, and I put it down to being over tired. But in the past few weeks I have had 3 experiences that got very intense, and quite hard to explain, but I will try my best.

I woke up completely paralyzed, only able to move my eyes. I had a look at the details in my room, for example the clock ticking on my wall, an elephant tapestry hanging opposite my bed, an empty cup of tea Id left on my desk. I often do this to make sure I am awake and not dreaming. Anyway, I was definitely awake, and I could hear what sounded like a mother and her son talking very loudly right next to my bed. They were talking in a very old posh English accent, it almost sounded like a 1920's radio. I can't remember what they were saying, but I remember it made absolutely no sense. This carried on for a few minutes and the voices slowly faded away and I was able to move again.

After that I laid awake wondering what the hell just happened. I don't have a radio or television in my room, it was 4 am and everybody was asleep. I didn't see anything, I could just hear these voices.

The second experience was the same, I woke up paralyzed and could hear two men talking very loudly next to my bed, the same posh English accents, talking complete gibberish for a few minutes and then the voices faded.

The 3rd experience was the scariest. I usually sleep in the fetal position, I woke up, had a look around, went to change positions but I couldn't move. I suddenly heard this absolutely deafening screeching sound in my ears, and I felt something embrace me very tightly and something pulling my legs straight and pulling my arms behind my back. I actually physically moved, but involuntarily. It felt like something was holding my down and moving me.

It's safe to say I slept with the light on for the next few nights. It hasn't happened since thank god! I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or explanations. I am starting to think that this is more than just sleep paralysis. Any questions please ask, and feedback welcome!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shezz, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

johndecourcy (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
I have suffered from this for years. It can be really terrifying but I have got used to it and can now deal with it rather well.
Shezz (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-03)
And Melda, I agree, I am also on the fence. Although I have never physically seen a ghost or spirit, I am a firm believer of them. And I truly feel that the last 3 experiences were something more than just SP, but I just don't know, or can't explain what it was.
Shezz (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-03)
Hi there thanks for your replies. Luckily I haven't experienced anything since the last one. I agree they are horrifying experiences.

Shelbyloree no I haven't had any strange happenings in the house during the day or while I am awake. Although my mother once had a very frightening experience, she said she was resting her eyes waiting for my dad to come to bed, she could hear him showering and pottering around in the bathroom, when she felt a hand over her eyes and a deep male voice say in spanish "hable hable hable" which means "talk talk talk". She said when she opened her eyes there was no one there, my dad checked the house and didn't find anyone. She really doesn't know what it was, but hasn't experienced anything like that since. None of my other family members have experienced anything paranormal either.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-30)
Are there other odd things happening while you're awake during the day or before you go to bed? If someone else is having odd things happen as well (either in the same room or in their own room) it could be something more ethereal.

Could you switch rooms with a sibling for a while and see if it happens to them? Or if the same thing happens to you in different rooms?

It sounds very upsetting, whatever it is.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Shezz,

Sleep paralysis may play a part in what's going on.

It does sound like a bit more to it though. May be some sort of residual events happening, your body sensing this going on while asleep, then causing your brain to wake up before your body can respond. Thus causing sleep paralysis.

But I'm no expert on this so I can't explain why your legs and arms were being pulled, unless maybe somehow you were experiencing more of the residual than you thought.

When you say you couldn't make out what they were saying while awake, its quite possible you could have while asleep.

I don't know but just a few thoughts.

😊

Thanks for sharing

Spiritwaiting
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Shezz - I'm rather surprised to note that I'm the first person to comment!

Sleep paralysis is more than a nightmare simply because it's so real. I have had these experiences on a number of occasions and they scared the living daylights out of me.

On the other hand, I'm on the fence as far as sleep paralysis is concerned in general. (I know that it has been scientifically proven.) I don't believe that SP is always the cause although I accept that in many cases it is.

Many people would place some of my experiences in the sleep paralysis category when I KNOW that that wasn't the case at all!

Well it would seem that you now seem to have been given a break from your scary experiences, so quite possibly it was just sleep paralysis after all. 😊

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: