You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Girl In The Potrait

Real Ghost Stories

The Girl In The Potrait

 

This incident occurred about 2 years ago. I was spending my summer holidays at my grand parents' house. Me and my friends were gossiping when the topic turned on to ghosts. I was telling them about my story which I had posted earlier on this site (Ghost Summoned Unknowingly), when one of my friend suggested to explore a haveli (a big old-fashioned bungalow) in our village which was supposedly haunted. It was said that a burglary had taken place in haveli and whole family except one small child was murdered. Since then many ghost sightings had been reported there and the people would report cries of a girl coming from the place. It was also said that anyone who slept in that haveli would be found dead in the morning without any cause of death. Post-mortem report would also reveal nothing. Many purification rituals had been done there but with no positive effect. We were a bit nervous on hearing this but still we planned to go there in the evening. We were 4 in number. Let the name of my friends be A,B and C. We met at haveli about 6 pm in the evening.

The first look of the haveli made me a little afraid. The main gate was in a terrible state and the garden behind it was full of wild plants with garbage lying around. We climbed over the gate and went inside. We walked up the garden towards the main house. The walls were covered with weeds and other plants. I thought from its looks anyone could say it was haunted. We tried to open the door but failed. Then friend C tried to look in through the window. He screamed the next moment and being scared we all ran towards garden. We asked him what happened, he said that a girl was there inside looking at him. Friend A being the bravest once again went to the window and said it was just a portrait of a girl smiling. We all laughed at C's cowardliness when all of a sudden we heard a crash from the house and the door suddenly opened by itself. Now I became very scared and suggested to go from there immediately but A refused to go and said it must have been the wind (how could wind open a door we had tried to open ourselves moments ago?) . Scared and nervous we all went into the house. First room was the drawing room with old fashioned chairs lying around with a diwan and a big table in the middle. Many pictures hung on the walls which seemed to be of the unfortunate family and of course we looked at that smiling girl's picture and still laughed at C. C was getting very nervous and sweating and said he was not feeling well there. We asked him to wait there while we explored the rest of the house. After the drawing room there was a big hall with two stairs going to rooms upstairs and there was a big dining table in the middle and plates and spoons were lying here and there. We assumed that the family was perhaps having food when the mishap took place. Me and B went upstairs while A looked into the rooms on ground floor. First room me and B went into seemed to be the room of that smiling girl as a big portrait of her hung on the wall. There were clothes and books lying around and there was small box there on the dressing table. I opened it and found a necklace in it. I was just fascinated by that necklace and put it in my pocket and then the window of the room banged. B asked me to throw away the necklace which I did and ran out of the room. Then we heard a cry downstairs, we went down and saw A lying on table in an awkward manner. It seemed as if I had provoked the spirit and now it had started harming us. I shook him and got him onto his feet. He said someone had come from behind and just pinned him on the table. Just then we heard a laughing from the drawing room. I exclaimed C was there in the room. We rushed outside and what we saw next was totally unnatural. C was sitting on the chair laughing as if he had inhaled some laughing gas. A exclaimed how could one being so scared few minutes ago suddenly go crazy like this. B said he suspected he might be possessed. Now we three were super scared. How could we get C to his senses? Suddenly C stood up and said that we had done a great mistake coming there and provoking him. Then he looked at me and said "you wanted the necklace? Here take it." And suddenly a necklace came flying towards me and struck me near my left eyebrow and it started bleeding. Now we were sure he was possessed by that girl spirit. Then C again sat on the chair and laughed like a mad person. Then A suggested bow down and seek forgiveness from the spirit. We did the same and promised we would never ever disturb the spirit again. The plan worked, C suddenly became unconscious and we ran to the garden carrying him. We laid him on the ground and began to pray when he suddenly got up and asked us why we were praying. We told him what had happened and he told us he felt very uncomfortable looking at the girl's portrait and sat down on one of the chairs and closed his eyes when suddenly he felt he was being embraced by someone and when he opened his eyes it was the same girl in the portrait and what happened next he does not remember.

We quickly climbed over the main gate and ran away.

It still gives me goosebumps on remembering the incident and the necklace scar on my eyebrow is still there (now it works as an identification mark for me!).

One thing I still think about is that when the spirit had never left any of the former intruders unharmed why did it let us go?

Also why do the purification rites don't have any effect on the place?

Thank You for reading.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aj_star, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Amchi1986 (18 stories) (71 posts)
 
4 months ago (2023-12-01)
Can I say something, if you don't mind you tried to interfere with the nature and it's forces which could prove dangerous to your and your's friends lives, despite you all knowing the fact that the bungalow was haunted. May be the girl's ghost was kind to you all, I don't understand the exact reason. Some things don't have any explanation in the supernatural world. May God be with you all always. Take care.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-26)
Sceptic-Ari,

I'll see your Thin Lizzy and raise you one Aristocat's...cause...

"Everybody wants to be a cat
Because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at
Everybody's pickin' up on that feline beat
'Cause everything else is obsolete

A square with a horn
Makes you wish you weren't born
Every time he plays
But with a square in the act
You can set music back
To the caveman days

I've heard some corny birds who tried to sing
Still a cat's the only cat
Who knows how to swing
Who wants to dig a long-haired gig, stuff like that?
When everybody wants to be a cat

A square with a horn
Makes you wish you weren't born
Every time he plays
With a square in the act
You can set music back to the caveman days

Everybody wants to be a cat
Because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at
When playin' jazz he always has a welcome mat
'Cause everybody digs a swingin' cat

Everybody, everybody
Everybody wants to be a cat
(Hallelujah!)

Everybody, everybody
Everybody wants to be a cat

Everybody, everybody
Everybody wants to be a cat

Everybody, everybody
Everybody wants to be a cat

Everybody, everybody
Everybody wants to be a cat"

Oooooohhhhhhhh Yeah... 😉

Respectfully,

Rook
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-26)
...them cats are crazaaaaaayyyyyy

-courtesy Rook

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
WowAngel,
With being new and all, you might want to look at the comments guidelines. Like you said it takes time to become familiar with new rules. Http://www.yourghoststories.com/comments-guidelines.php

Just because you have no friends here YET, doesn't mean you never will. It just takes time.
WowAngel (6 posts)
-2
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
I have no colour blind 😢...the reason I told you all... I was not aware of this abbreviation thing... Because I am new! And I can see u guys chat through comments here... 😆
WowAngel (6 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
roylynx I don't know with whom you are comparing me... I m new here and I never had any account...here.thanks for the comment
WowAngel (6 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Miracles51031 everything has reasons... I am very new here and it takes time to know more... Hope you understand... Thanks for the comment
WowAngel (6 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
lady_glow thanks for your comment... And I knw its not a chat room and we are not friends... I have no friends here...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
I'm going to leave this comment by WowAngel because the other comments would not make sense. But I did delete WowAngel's other text talk comment and will delete any additional.

WowAngel, if you are too lazy to type out your words in the correct format, please find another forum that doesn't mind text talk.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Tweed,

Thanks for making me feel old! 😜 I had to look up "Asl?" on urbandictionary.com because a few towns over is the American School for the Deaf, and "American Sign Language" ("A.S.L.") is an elective we've offered to our students, often taught by one of their staff.

I was trying to figure out how in the hell SIGN LANGUAGE would be of use on a TYPED FEED. It's not like YGS has Skype or Facetime on it.

SMH
-Biblio.
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Dir Al

I psnly thnk tht WowAngel is jst anthr acc. Of the OP

LV frm SP
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
lady-glow - TXT talk only attracts the intellectually lazy crowd? I honestly don't know on which side of the spectrum I fall. I don't reply to these over the top things. Why? I don't understand them and am not prepared to spend hours trying to understand! Maybe I'm "stoopid".

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Tweed: my eyes hurt after looking at all those red lines under the misspelled words!
I wonder if WowAngel is color blind... Otherwise I can't understand their blatant disregard for the built in dictionary. 😕
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
HAHAHAHA Lady Glow I love you!

Dang I n33d more chrctz 50 cent rulz.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+6
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
WowAngel: aj_star is not going to answr u r qstn, but if u r 2 qros jst google 4 "Multiple Murders and mysterious deaths in Havali" I'm sure something show come... IF this story"s true.

Oh, I c u r 2 favs are the stories by aj_star... R u 2 friends? Perhaps u r A, B or C?... Nah, if that's the case, you wouldn't ask for the location of the story! 😆 😆

You should stop by the "Comments Guidelines" and give it a read, specially the following point:

"This is not a chat room, so avoid abbreviations and SMS language ("u" instead of "you", "n" for "and", "coz" for "because" etc) as it is juvenile and unreadable. We want to have mature conversations about the delicate topic of ghosts, using TXT talk only attracts the intellectually lazy crowd...'
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
cn we sp33k in l337 now or sumfin? Kewl dat goez whel wid da stori 2. 1time me an da crew sawz bigft yo.

What is this really going to let me post like a chav?! Oh excitement!

So dis is ma 1st stori itz 100% tru. Soz 4 da long post yo. Asl? Ne hawt chicks here want to facetym?

Ok, now I'm done. Sorry for behaving like an imbecile. But gosh it makes me laugh! 😆
WowAngel (6 posts)
-2
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
The story and the comments r totally different...aj_star your story was grt... But where did it occur? And whn? 😕
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Ok! I'm slow to join in, but I'm a card carrying toothbrush wielder! Works on the Beagle!

Really?


Mother of Beagles
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
lady_glow,
Actually, the thanks belongs to our ever vigilant Martin. He did the actual magic to make them go away. Just thought you'd like to know, we like to end trouble before it starts, when we can.😊
Who are you kidding? Everyone knows autocorrect comes pre-haunted. Lol
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Valkricry: you mods are awesome, with such a name I imagine Elmo was a kid ready to cause trouble.

By the way, you better watch out, "Jack the Reappear" began haunting my auto-correct after commenting on "Ben Drowned"... Considering all the digging you did your computer might be at risk. 😨
dpny (4 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Silverware AND a piece of jewelry not taken by anyone, and in India? Sounds unbelievable to me! 😆
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
lady_glow and Mack,
Not to worry about that horrid user name. Dusted.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Got any Queen Rook. I'm feeling like some Bohemian Rhapsody. I got dibs on the seat next to the dumb waiter!

Mamakitty Kansas reporting for troll patrol. 😆
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
So, this story was about 4 scared teenagers and a necklace? Oh there's a ghost too, I pity the ghost...

I know I'm late but this was fun 😊

Blessings.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
So I believe we all had our toothbrushes, dental floss, and Mouthwash ready for this one.

To my surprise lol I started reading comments and "aj-star" doesn't have an account anymore. Wow well were gettin better at spottin these trolls
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Okay so I'm going to change my troll patrol name, it makes my cat sound sneaky (which it was). Will move away from that and register as Rexie Meyer. Not crazy about it but there it is 😆

Regards, Melda
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Lady-glow - yes I saw that and was instantly shocked, then intrigued as to how any mind could actually combine those two words. I'm KIND OF fascinated as to what level of contribution that person will bring...

😕
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Hey Puff:

Triple G&T, please, when you've got a minute. Don't worry about needing a bigger blankie. I've built you a portable, high-velocity, troll hunting cannon; I call it the "Blankie-zooka." Sadly, I finished most of the welding before the whole toothbrush incident, so you'll have to throw these floss-grenades manually.

I still say the name suited my Budgie better: Pretty Baby Gervas is on board and headed up to the hot tub; damn pinched nerve in my shoulder could use the relaxation.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Well Tweed, you can't find him because you're looking in the wrong place. Evidently he's a ghost of lady_glow's autocorrect. 😜
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Barker Woods here reporting for fun and games.

That Havali place, we're expected to believe this happened there on top of everything else. Oh my. I really should've looked into the actual place, that's hilarious.

Elmo huh. Maybe he feels more comfortable reading school yard fiction on another post. 😉

Val, I can't find anything about Jack the Reappear but gosh that name has beyond tickled me! 😆 Wish I'd thought of it.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: