You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted House Haunts

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted House Haunts

 

My parents have been friends with this quirky, eccentric couple since the early 1970's. These events centre around their home.

This couple's home is in a forest area. The house was built anywhere between late 1800's to 1920's. A couple of years ago I visited them with the intention of delving into their house history, they have a lot of records and photos of it's early years. But they were so preoccupied with their new collection of trinkets I couldn't get a word in edge ways. They go through collecting phases, and it makes them a bit mental. One day I'll find out about their house history. But for now, I'll have to rely on what I already know and a bit of guess work.

First a bit of a warning/disclaimer: Some of the themes in this narrative may alarm some. Please understand none of us kids were ever put in harms way.

This spans from the early 1980's to present day. There's a lot to get through, so put the kettle on!

Their land is about two acres of multi tiered manicured Victorian 'Gothic' style garden. At least it always seems Gothic to me, dark, damp, plants and trees for days, love it. The roof guttering/drainage is a multi headed dragon which spurts water from it's mouths after a heavy down pour. As a child I used to follow the dragon body, which was really just the guttering, to each of it's heads around the parameter of the house. The rest of the roof has gargoyles of various sizes, doing various things. The gargoyles can only be found from certain angles.

One day, when I was about four or five, I was out in their front garden looking for all the gargoyles. At the front gates is a garden forest of maples, magnolias, birches and other trees. There's no lawn in this area it's a mass forest style planting covered in leaves and moss. There's three concreted pathways to the house which are intercepted by steps here and there, leading up to the house. When you're in the maple forest area most of the gargoyles are hidden by the upward angle of the hill and house, but the 'dragon's body' length is visible from this angle. I was standing near the centre pathway trying to decide if the dragon was crawling on the roof or flying around it, when I heard some leaves crunch to the right and behind me about six meters away. The crunch came from the right path, at the right gate's entrance. (There's two front gates, two pathways for each gate. Two pathways meet in the middle of the front garden forming three pathways) I was looking to the gate for the source of the sound when I heard a single tap sound on one of the lanterns. The pathways have a few old cast iron street lanterns. The one that tapped was closest to me, at the start of the middle path. I decided now would be a great time to hide behind a tree and wait for that weird not alone feeling to pass.

As a stand alone event this doesn't amount to much. The leaves could've been a mouse and a bird could've landed on the lantern. But I've included it here as it might be connected to other events I'll cover later.

Their first eldest daughter is my age. Around the same time, aged about four, we were both riding around in peddle cars. Her Dad had either restored some antique peddle cars or made them from scratch, he's an utter engineering genius of a man. There were three, each looked like a vintage race car. The only place to ride them was around the back and sides of the house, where the path was flat. I was riding under one of the bedroom windows when the curtain twitched. Both our parents were happily chatting away outside with us. I didn't see anything more than the sudden movement of this curtain. It's also possible it was one of their pets, cat or dog. The peddle car I was in used to get 'bogged' in that the peddles would jam a lot. So I was 'bogged' at this window, but I didn't mind because I was curious to as to who or what was at the window. Nothing else happened though.

Years later when I was about eight I was out in the backyard, standing on the croquet lawn (this place is completely posh and hasn't changed much at all in over a hundred years. Just go with the poshness it's easier than if I run through the entire layout). The croquet lawn is about ten steps up from the back of the house. It's in line with the back of the house, aligned to the back veranda areas so when you're on this lawn you're at around the same level as the house roof. Being an old Victorian design the roof is pretty fancy. From this lawn more gargoyles are visible. The only catch is most of them are facing the front of the house, with their backs to you. To see most of their faces you have to explore the front. I used to play match the gargoyle a lot. Actually I still do, given the chance.

Next to the croquet lawn is an old sitting area under a big tree, I think it's an oak tree. The man of the house is into 'cloud pruning'. It shapes trees leaves and branches to form cool cloud type shapes. The lower branches of this tree are trained downward to create a canopy over the croquet lawn. One of their peacocks landed on a lower branch creating a breeze on my back. (yeah, I know peacocks, posh as) I turned around to watch the peacock and was confused to find a man right at the end of the yard, some distance away from me. He was wearing an orange shirt, sort of a dusty, creamy orange type of colour. His trousers were a beige colour. He was leaning against what I think was a shovel, looking down at me smiling. I was confused as to who he was. This couple don't trust anyone to their house or garden and do everything themselves. So the presence of someone working up the back was out of place. I didn't think he was a ghost though. He looked quite old but very fit. He was right at the entrance to the peacock house, like a chook pen, and looked like he was tending to it. I felt a bit weird that there was someone there who I didn't know, so I went inside and asked who he was. This couple are into ghosts and ghouls, the husband and my mother said he was probably an old gardener. They went to check, and didn't find anyone.

The house is large, single story, four bedrooms. Everything is original features and all their furniture is antique. Some of the furniture came with the house. I'm trying to think of anything modern in their house and can only think of the TV and computer. Everything else is like a time capsule. They're heritage enthusiasts, keen collectors too, track down all manner of antique odds and ends.

The husband is something of a technical engineering genius. He restores gramophones, jukeboxes, pin ball machines, record players, speakers, you name it. He's an electrician by trade. The wife is a wizard with a needle and thread. Her specialty is vintage style clothing and lamp shades. Her designs are just like the ones found here:

Http://www.vintageshades.com/

As their house hasn't changed, well, at all in over a hundred years, with alterations being all restoration in nature, I think this has contributed to some of their haunts. In particular the first one I ever heard about. The good old 'footsteps down the hall' trick.

Back and front doors to the house are positioned at the left and right sides of the house. The two front gates having winding paths to each side 'front and back' doors. Everyone enters from the 'back' kitchen door at the left side because they use their kitchen as an informal gathering area.

When I was little I used to listen to the adults talk about someone following them down the hall. It seemed to happen to everyone eventually.

The formal 'front' right side front door has round 'lilly pad' style steps made of marble with marble columns or pillars. There's an odd absence of sound at the front door. I think this is because of the marble, it's always fascinated me. When I was a kid I thought this cool sound trick was connected to the footsteps somehow.

Now for the boring part of every narrative ever: The house layout. 'Oh no not the bloody house layout.' We'll do it via the hallway for this doubles as the path of the phantom footsteps. 'Oh, alright, that's not so bad.'

The front doors are large. You then enter the hallway which has dark wood paneling up to the ceiling with old wall lamps lighting the way. The hallway goes right through the length of the house in an L shape. The right side doorways in the hall are all bedrooms. The left side hallway doors are all glass French doors. The house is very dark, and dimly lit with traditional style bulbs and lamp shades everywhere. The dark wood paneling is in most rooms and adds to the darkness. The trees also block a lot of natural light. It's more or less got all the characteristics of a classic Gothic haunted house, love it.

The first French doored room is a long formal lounge. Behind the second French door is a games room, or 'billiard room'. The third French door is larger than the rest and belongs to the ballroom*. The fourth is a dining area. Then you turn the corner right in the L shaped hall and find an old wooden 'swing' door which is the kitchen, another door next to that is the bathroom.

*We call it the 'ballroom' but it might not technically be a ballroom. Theirs is a large house but it's not a mansion. This might be traditionally a music room. It's a large room with a high dome shape ceiling decorated in fancy Victorian detail with a large chandelier. It has an elevated stage area at the end. It looks like a ballroom, but I'm unsure if it technically is one.

Everyone said the footsteps came from the front door and followed the hall all the way to the kitchen. In the hall at the formal front door entrance, next to the old coat hooks was a knight. As in metallic knight armour which 'greeted' guests if you entered through this way. These days the knight lives in the ballroom. But when I was a kid it was in the hall at the front door. I always thought the footsteps must belong to the knight and was keen to catch him out. The moment I had with the leaves crunching at the right front gate and the tap on the lantern, I've since wondered if this was part of the hallway footsteps ritual. Since the footsteps begin at the formal front door, maybe they actually start at the right front gate. Or maybe what I heard that day was simply wildlife.

When their daughter and I were about six we had an unexpected moment with one of her toys. It was goodness knows what hour of the night. This place has always been a bit of an open house for colourful characters. There were regular parties on the go, still are. There's always joints, bongs and hookahs passed around and this was considered safe around us kids. But when harder drugs were on the menue, we kids had to keep out of the kitchen in case we got any on our fingers or clothes. If we wanted anything we were to holler through the serving window in the dining room. This was one of those nights. The lady of the house was pregnant and my Mum was breast feeding, don't write me, they were both sober.

Their daughter's bedroom is opposite the ballroom. We were dividing our activities between the jukebox in the ballroom and her toys in her bedroom. I was walking back from the dining room serving window, walking down the hall back to the bedroom. Suddenly one of her toys, a duck puppet, stuck it's head out from the doorway and sort of jiggled about. I laughed thinking it was her and ran to 'catch' the duck. The duck 'ducked' back into the room (har har) before I could catch it. When I entered her bedroom she wasn't there, and neither was the duck. I turned around and she was in the ballroom punching in another song on the jukebox. I told her what happened and we both looked for the duck in her room, totally confused and a bit scared. You know how jukeboxes have a delay while they do their thing. Well in those short seconds we'd kind of forgotten it was about to play and when it did we crapped ourselves! Stuff the serving window, we rushed into the kitchen. Both our (sober) Mums came to investigate. After a bit of confusion her Mum said in a cockney voice 'O' toil and trouble, my pretties'. My Mum distracted us with the pinball machines in the billiard room. But after the duck weirdness we couldn't focus on having fun in the same way.

My brother was a baby at the time. He was sleeping in the nursery room that night which is the last bedroom down the hall, opposite the kitchen and bathroom. I don't know if this room was always a nursery but it's always been decked out as one. My parents had been tending to him and checking him all night. This was also the same room where the curtain twitched, a couple years before. He was in a cradle which had been handed down the generations of this family and was soon to be used by their unborn daughter. When it was home time I followed my parents into the nursery and there on a chair by the nursery door was the duck. We girls hadn't been in the nursery all night, except during the afternoon. Neither of us had put the duck in there after it's vanishing act behind the door. I've since wondered if my brother sleeping in their family cradle had something to do with it turning up in the nursery. I would also love to know how, specifically, the duck ended up there.

There's always been curious reflections in the French doors. But it only seems to happen through the glass of two or more French doors. I mentioned the French doors down the hallway leading to all those fancy rooms. Each of these rooms has up to three sets of French doors, one for entering from the hallway, another one or two for entering the next room/s. For example if you're at the snooker table in the billiards room you turn and see through the glass to the hallway, turn your gaze again to another French door leading to the formal lounge on one side, and turn the other way and see part of the ballroom through more French doors.

The curious part is sometimes, seemingly always at night, if you're in one room looking through the glass to another room, and to another room beyond more glass, sometimes I've notice reflections that don't 'fit'. Sometimes it's movement, or a colour or shape, sometimes it lasts, other times it fades out or disappears instantly. Only very occasionally, twice that I remember clearly, did I 'see' people in the 'reflection' who shouldn't have logically been there.

The first happened while I was in the billiards room I 'saw' a brief 'reflection' of a young woman wearing a white, what I think was a hair net, it looked like a bonnet. I only saw her face/profile and part of her shoulder, she seemed to be bending, reaching over a table. This 'reflection' was in the dining room. It's so hard to explain, it looks like a reflection but it's taking place in the other room, beyond the glass it's 'reflecting' from. It really feels like the glass is key to this phenomenon. I said before this house is like a time capsule, I must stress that point as literal and not a throw away comment. The glass on these doors is probably the original glass, or at least hasn't changed for a very long time. It 'feels' to me like this is connected. Possibly also the dim old fashioned 'ambient' lighting being the same or similar to how it was back in the day. I can't help wonder if these factors collectively produce these images.

The other reflection of a person was from the ballroom. It was a man leaning back on the door frame between the billiards room and the lounge/parlour room. He had dark hair, slicked back, he was laughing, holding either a cigar or cigarette.

Another apparition I saw through the doors seemed to be different, in that it didn't look like a reflection. It was, I think, the same man from the backyard. I was in the ballroom and he was in the lounge/parlour. He was standing at the fire place, with an arm resting on the mantle. He was looking down at the floor beside him and smiling at what ever he was looking at. As an adult I have the impression it was either a child or pet.

Being a kid, on this occasion I was looking for the 'alligator in the house' and rushed to see if he had found it. He disappeared as soon as I changed position. This house has taxidermy specimens strewn around. In front of the fireplace in the lounge is a leopard 'rug'. The head has glass eyes and exposed teeth, so the leopard has an aggressive expression. These days the leopard is draped over a chair next to the fireplace, to keep it clean. But back then it was on the floor in front of the fireplace. I used to pat the leopard all the time. It's really hard to tell what antiques this couple have collected over the years and what came with the house. But I could imagine another child through history patting the leopard, just as I did.

The illusive alligator was something we'd hear the adults talk about. They'd talk about being 'petrified to step over the alligator in the house' and 'keeping tabs on where it is at all times'. I always thought there was an alligator in this house somewhere, hiding from everyone. They have a lot of exotic pets so it seemed feasible. The alligator turned out to be a dealer's 'security system'. None of us kids were ever taken to the alligator house. I also have no clue how anyone would go about acquiring an alligator in Australia. But that beast became the stuff of childhood legend. It was like a really weird game of where's Wally, where one day a ghost showed up.

The couple have always had dogs. Usually two or more at a time, always exotic or posh breeds. The kitchen has a dog flap under the sink, the dogs come and go as they please. Every time I've ever been there all the dogs suddenly go mental at something. I never thought this could be paranormal, but in case it is I'll include it here. The dogs can be sleeping and peaceful in the kitchen with everyone. Then they'll all wake up simultaneously, start barking and rush outside. More barking from outside, then one or two will come back inside, and more barking. They look around confused as if they don't know what they're barking at or whether they should be outside or inside. They just seem all out confused. It happens night or day and I can never find any pattern to it. I've asked about this and no one really has an answer, only theories ranging from smelling wildlife outside, to paranormal causes. Maybe the dog flap itself is haunted, it looks as old as the kitchen. I don't know when dog flaps came to be, but it looks like it's always been there. All their dogs have done and continue to do this spanning, at least, ever since I can remember.

When I was about thirteen I saw an apparition which I now believe to be a living residual of the lady herself. The circumstances are quite amusing and unique, I was on the toilet! Their bathroom is a sunken room, one step down. It's dusty pink with small pink tiles, the tiles are all different shades of pink, about four tones. High heels make the nicest sound on these tiles. The toilet is in it's own cubical with a frosted glass door. The door has an image of a tree on it. The tree parts of the glass are less frosted than the rest. The bathroom door and the toilet cubical door are directly opposite each other, so when you're on the loo you're facing the bathroom door.

There I was doing my thing. I must have been looking at the tiles because I don't remember seeing anything appear. Suddenly I notice someone through the frosted glass, a bright pink mass looking in the mirror. There's an old fancy mirror hanging from a chain on the bathroom wall. The figure had their arms to their head like they were fixing their hair. Then it just faded out. I didn't hear the bathroom door open or anyone enter. But at the same time I wasn't scared and didn't feel the need to yell out that I was in the cubical. But I did position myself so I could see through the clear glass markings of the tree. But I couldn't get a good glimpse of what it was, just clearer pink.

I've come to believe this was part of her wedding preparation in the early 1980's. She designed her own wedding dress, it was hot pink. The shape of the silhouette matched what her dress looked like, a 40's A line style coat dress. The veil was also hot pink. The pink mass through frosted glass just looked like a pink blob with arms lifted up. I assumed it was a ghost's aura for many years. But thinking about it in recent times makes me wonder otherwise.

On a slightly off topic note, my husband says he sometimes swears a trough we have is filled with dark liquid. He experiences this as a fleeting glimpse. We think it's a residual from when I made my wedding dress. I made a traditional looking 'mourning dress' out of three different garments, each bought white/cream. I wanted a dark brown wedding dress. I coloured it in this trough with fabric dye. Maybe there's enough emotion in designing your wedding dress to create a living residual. Oddly enough, when I saw the pink blob was around the same age, 13/14, that I dreamed up my own dark brown mourning style gown. I didn't make that connection until just now. Probably is no connection, but it's cool anyway!

In more recent years there's been, as my hardcore non believer stepmother puts it, 'faulty wiring'. Which the man of the house, Mr Electrician-Engineering-Genius, thinks is amusing. Well, 'faulty wiring' has caused an antique train set to go off by itself. The train set goes around the ceiling in the ballroom. There's a control switch by the door to turn the train on and off, change speed/direction etc. I don't know if the train came with the house or not, its the kind of thing he'd restore and install near the ceiling around that room. I've no clue who turns it on.

These 'faulty wiring' incidences are not his creation. Their pantry light, and it's impressive ability to turn itself on and off. I don't remember this but apparently when I was a toddler I crawled in the pantry to have a sticky beak. The pantry is one of those walk in ones and the door naturally swings shut behind you. So I was in there for a moment and then started crying. The light had turned off. It's a pull cord switch too high for me to reach. The pantry light is an ongoing thing.

I spent new years eve at their place a few years ago. My stepmother was also there, unfortunately she snuffs out any mention of ghosts. If she hears anything about this topic she turns into a three year old.

There were about ten people there that night. We were sitting around the kitchen table, my stepmother's seat was under the serving window, which was closed. There's a wooden shutter which slides across. I was sat a few feet away with this old friend of my father's, whose sense of humour is quite dry and sarcastic. So this noise started up which sounded like someone tapping on the serving window. My stepmother either didn't hear it, unlikely, or pretended it wasn't happening, more likely. It was like 'knock knock...knock...knock' every 30 seconds or so. This persisted for around a minute before Dad's mate piped up, in a matter of fact tone: "There's someone at the server". My stepmother replied: "That'll be the wood settling." To which he sarcastically replied: "Mmmm yeah. That'll be it". I tried very hard not to laugh because I didn't want to set her off. Of course it could've been the wood settling, but I don't think anyone had heard that before.

Finally, after all these years, a few days after that new years eve I experienced the footsteps down the hall. Their daughter and I had been dancing and generally arsing about in the ballroom for a while. We then regrouped with everyone in the kitchen. I'd left my cigarettes in the ballroom, so went to get them. As I left the ballroom I heard 'something' down the hall but didn't give it a thought. As I walked down the hall, back to the kitchen, I realized I was being followed by footsteps. After all these years this was way cool. So I stopped and looked around, nothing there, but the footsteps stopped too. They stopped after about two steps after I stopped. I started again, the footsteps did the same, so I stopped and after a step they stopped also. They were right down the end of the hall near the front door. This was afternoon, between 4 and 6 I'd say. Over the years I'd only heard of this happening late at night and was surprised it was happening then and there. Must admit it was a little spooky, but in a cool way. I couldn't take more cat and mouse stop and starting so I retreated to the kitchen and yeup, those footsteps followed. They were slow steps, like a meander.

I really wanted to tell someone but my stepmother was there and, yeah. I wish I could remember if the dogs went mental. They do their sudden confused barking thing so regularly it kind of blends in after a while.

Lengthy post or what? I've been putting off writing about this for ages because layout descriptions suck and this house is way complicated. I got excited after 'visiting' Val's ultra cool digital interactive Victorian haunted house. Gave me the kick up the pants I needed.

Jesus, after proofreading this I think I need a lie down!

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Tweed

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tweed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

InTheTARDIS (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-10-19)
❤ Hey Tweed ❤
Thanks for getting me to look up this story and I see what you mean with what I delt with as a child at my grandparents home in Atlanta, GA and your experiences here in Australia. Wow so crazily similar and both so mind shaping for us both obviously too.
This experience of yours is awesome. So glad I got to read it. So many crazy things happen to us as children and often shape us as adults in more ways than we first realise. And it's hits us with avengence when we are older and realise just how crazy things were and how we just shrugged it all off as youngsters like it was nothing.
And your descriptions of events and things you saw as parts of that magnificent sounding house make me feel like I was there looking right at the actual building while you were talking about it.
Those peddle cars too sound fantastic!

Thanks,
Sebastian aka InTheTARDIS

PS; I've favourited this story and you as a author! Keep up this awesome work!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-16)
Hi Chanced, I'm glad you enjoyed reading. Sorry for the delay in my response.😉

The dealer's 'security system' was, by all accounts, an actual alligator, a real breathing one. My young mind assumed the beast lived in this house. But it came from another house I never went to.
Chanced (5 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-09)
Tweed thanks so much for taking the time to write this. It was an amazing read, and although you hate layout description- you do have a knack for them!

This may just be me being Naive, but I still don't understand what you meant by dealers 'security system', could you perhaps clarify?

Once again, another Tweed story for my favourites 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-05)
C2C, glad you enjoyed it. 😊 If you're ever in Los Angeles check out the LA Arboretum. There's a beautiful Queen Anne house on the grounds. It's open to the public on occasion. It's well worth going when the house is open, it's just stunning. There's also an old station, a 'church' which turned out to be a 'barn', but dude it looked like a church not a barn.😕 As well as the amazing gardens which seem to go on forever. There's also bloody peacocks! 😆
I've just been gawking at Hearst Castle, phoah! I've never heard of this place. But I recognise that indoor pool from this movie from years ago, 'Meet Joe Black' I think it was called. Anyway I was always intrigued about where they filmed the indoor pool scene. I've always had a thing for posh ye olde indoor pools, but the one in that film takes the absolute biscuit. I'm pretty sure it's the pool in that castle!
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-04)
Love the story Tweed! I wish I had a house I could be in/around like that. I just love old houses. You must have been an intrepid little girl to have not been frightened by all the things you saw and heard there. Maybe just growing up exposed to those kind of environments made you more immune to the spookiness of those experiences. I'm the type that probably would have not played with anyone, but just sat in different places soaking up the ambiance and daydreaming, kind of waiting for something to happen. Then the kid of the house wouldn't have liked me because I was no fun, and then I wouldn't have been able to go there anymore. I've always was a rather solitary kid. I would find a lot of pleasure visiting a place like that then and now. I've never even seen a place like that. Probably the closest would be the Hearst Castle in California. I could visualize it all with your wonderful descriptions. Thanks so much for sharing! It was lovely reading and seeing! Lucky you!
vala (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-04)
Yes, sorry! I was talking about the odd reflections in the glass. Anything reflective I'm very cautious around, but mirrors more than anything. But seeing reflections in general make me feel uneasy--mirror, glass, metal...etc.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-04)
'Hardcore heritage' - I like it! Rock on!:)

...and as much as I love and adore history, old photos, records and research... If there is an animal in the room, I'll be all over it like white on rice, research entirely forgotten:) I probably would've been playing with the parrot too lol

Hearing that this wonderfully eccentric couple somewhat resembles the Adamses only makes me even more fascinated with them - the have a fan:-)
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-03)
Vala, I'm a bit confused by the mirror. I think you might mean the reflections in the doors. I love mirrors though. But the only mirrors in their place are in the bedrooms and bathroom. Or if you mean the pink blob, that was in front of the mirror, not in the mirror, if that makes sense.

Haha BGP you always crack me up, the irksome twosome indeed! You know who they remind me of, Gomez and Morticia Addams😆. She, no joke, looks like Carolyn Jones, who played the original Morticia. While he's always reminded me of a Gerry doll/puppet. They and my friends from the Gnoooome house have really shaped my love of heritage as well as kookiness.
My first ghost encounter was with my guardian.

Augusta, bless you for loving heritage. I think I'll start a new saying 'hardcore heritage' got a nice ring to it. Definition: an obsessive compulsion to preserve poshness for the love of it.
I'll post anything interesting I find out. I wish I could go back to a day when I was about eighteen, they got the records and stuff out for someone who was there that day. But I was preoccupied with their parrot.😳 I only remember a few photos and some papers/document type things.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-02)
I am in LOVE with this house and everyone and everything in it! Oh AND terraced gardens!? *SWOON* Do they need a maid? I'll work for free! ❤ And it is always so wonderful to hear of an old house that is loved, cared for and maintained exactly as it is! Bravo to the lovely eccentric couple!

Thank you for taking the time to write this up, it was so wonderful to read:-) If you ever do get to delve through those records on the house, please do share with us, I would be fascinated to learn its story!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-01)
Tweed: what an interesting house. And you describe it in such a wonderful way that it feels like I was watching a movie.
Thanks for sharing.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-01)
Great read Tweed! And what an awesome house that must be. I'd love to spend some time there.

Would you say this was your first actual encounter/s with ghosts or did you get an earlier start? I love how you were raised with the acceptance of it all.

Do let us know if you find out anything about the history of the place. Next time you go, stay focused and try to keep the irksome twosome on track. 😆
vala (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-01)
The mirror part creeps me the heck out! I have a thing about mirrors and do believe they hold energy, so I'm always really cautious about mirrors, where they're placed, where they've come from.

The house sounds absolutely stunning--albeit scary! Lol
MaybeADreamer (4 stories) (58 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Sounds like a cool house.

Took some time to read this one but again it's written really well.

Well done for getting it all written 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Melda, nope, no bad feelings. 😊

!blah blah character maximum.)
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Tweed - I apologise for playing "jokey-joke" on your beautiful account. I sincerely hope I didn't offend you. If I did, that was not the intention 😊

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-29)
Tweed & BeagleMom - Hiding items in your bra is an everyday occurrence in SA, anything from tissues, car keys, cash, specs, to name but a few. Why not a toothbrush? Makes perfect sense to me!

Bear in mind that I live in a third world country! 😆

Regards, Melda
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
cultural ambassador was used as it seemed like a ridiculous title to me 😆
Glad others saw how "wrong" it is!
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
Sorry Tweed,

I just had to tell Melda how much she cracked me up! Bra, indeed!


Mother of Beagles
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
BeagleMom - I'd love to have you along for company! (Shh - whisper: We'll have to be particularly nice to Tweed to get her to persuade her friends to allow us to spend time on the property. I'm even prepared to delete my remark regarding Masterchef.)

One thing I have to mention. It is of extreme importance to me that we spend time on the croquet lawn with the "other" inhabitants of the home, so please keep your toothbrush hidden in your bra.

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
Tweed - You had me laughing there, you really do have a way with words! Sorry, but Aus Masterchef gets an A+ from me 😆. Will pass a self-satisfied grin your way when a contestant chops a chook, or bursts into tears, whatever 😜

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
The Master Chef dweebs are cultural ambassadors, seriously? Erugh, sorry ladies, I think those kinds of shows are one long excuse for product placement. Plus they're so nasty, I really don't get why they're popular. It's like a modern day gladiator event, make every day people squirm in front of an audience.

BeagleMom, thanks for telling me about your pooches! It's got me thinking. It's possible their dogs are smelling animals on the roof or in trees over the roof. This might explain why they go in and outside while barking, they're trying to locate the direction, which might be directly above them. That's a strong possibility, thanks!

Roylynx, sorry to hear about your chair lol! But I'm glad you enjoyed reading.😊

Aww shucks Val, glad you enjoyed it too! You would really love their place. I'd also love to visit that place you used to visit where the ghosties put the chairs up! 😆
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-28)
Tweed!

This tomb is going into my Favorites! Lord knows I usually can't stick with a long read here at YGS but your story captivated me and sent shivers down my spine. Not just the footsteps, the duck, or the feeling you got on the grounds. The house itself is a veritable Aladdin's Cave of delights!

I had a thought, when reading about the dogs going off, when just before, they were asleep. My old Beagle Penny was amazing. She would be snug in her bed, snoring even! Then be instantly awake and baying like one of the Hounds of the Baskervilles. Turns out that her sense of smell was at work. In our bedroom (where her bed was) we have french doors. Out the doors in the back yard, we have a koi pond, a hill behind it and a block wall at the top of the hill which runs the whole length of the property. You know Beagles have good noses, (but when they are out cold?) My Hubby happened to be on the back deck stargazing when he noticed an opossum running along the back wall. All he could see was its silhouette, but there was no doubt that he saw it. Simultaneous to the opossum using the wall as a highway, Penny was instantly awake and howling up a storm! Could it be those dogs in the Kitchen smelled something in the yard? Penny would wake us up with that blood curdling yelp with great regularity, we must have had lots of opossums! Just a thought!

I must say I will buy a ticket to be next to Melda on her week long investigative jaunt! What a delightful time we would have! I will leave the dog at home, but will pack a toothbrush, just in case!


Mother of Beagles
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Thanks Melda 😁
Seeing as you love that programme, I feel less antsy for having to sit through the ads for "season returns May 1st"
Little did I know, they're cultural ambassadors! 😁
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Thanks Tweed, all I needed to know!
Having spent more time with my aging parents lately, I have seen how much work a "typical" suburban block with veggie garden can be (also why I know I can't do it when they're gone!)
Never been crazy about physical activity 😕
The red line says it all! Thanks, L
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Oh, Tweed. Glad my lil haunted house gave ya a kick in the britches to write this! Oh, my word! I absolutely love it!
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Wow, guess what, I was trying to lean back to my chair while reading this story and the chair's "back" has broken off... Coincident? Anyway, that would not be anything as surprising as your stories are! I love this house there!

Thanks for sharing!

Love from São Paulo
E.Lynx
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Tweed - Thanks for the reply. Well if I have managed to live with a "guy" in my house for a number of years (other than my husband) who isn't scary at all, I understand why your friends are totally at ease 😊

Regarding "chook". I'm sure many people outside of Australia are very well aware that it's a chicken. If I'm wrong I'm sure everybody will bounce me around. I got to know this through Masterchef Australia, which just has to be one of my favourite programmes. When it shows on TV in SA, I don't miss an episode! Best cooking show on the planet, together with My Kitchen Rules.

Regards, Melda
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Tweed- I know that the duck thing was more of a playful nature. But my baby girl has a small rubber duck and I just keep thinking about it lol I will never be the same 😆 Now seriously the "haunted" duck idea is fading away already, but that just kept popping on my mind during the morning, I am a scaredy cat 😳

In my country people don't keep such na open mind about the supernatural... Although some of them might have exprienced something paranormal they will avoid talking about it. As I live in an area where most houses have about 30 years old or less- and they still belong to the original owners, I don't think there are many hauntings. But it didn't keep me from having a few mysterious things happening to me.
We have the Gothic style also in our architecture but it is more common in churches than houses. The Victorian style (being the influence of Queen Victoria of England, if I'm not wrong), we can't find it here. But find it fascinating and would love to visit a Victorian house someday. 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Argette, I'm of the belief that hauntings can happen anywhere. But I must agree there's something about some places that seem to foster the right conditions for particularly active outcomes. 😊

Mack, if those walls could talk. 😉

Aww thanks Spiritwaiting, glad ya like it!

L, funny you should bring up the amount of work, I asked about this because they never seem to do much to it. Just fiddly things here and there. Well, this is where I learned a cool gardening trick. Planting stuff close together (with compatible plants) not only looks awesome, but also rules out the need for much maintenance. They have a fancy underground watering system for the lawns which lessons the work. The grass is maintained with a high cut, so it's kept longish. Turns out cool lush gardens don't need much work!
I have no idea if 'chook' is used in other countries. But it comes up on YGS underlined in red, indicating the answer is no. 😆

Melda, they're not bothered in the slightest by their ghostly visitors. I guess the ghosts drop in because they like to, heck I would! I've never been bothered by these events and I've never heard of a negative paranormal experience in their home. I may have been spooked, and as a child scared by the duck of it all, but I never felt truly scared if that makes sense.

BeautInside, if it helps I strongly doubt the duck thing was negative. It was sort of like a Punch and Judy moment. At least that's the impression I have of it as an adult. You and Melda have both expressed trepidation about living in a place like this. I'd like to point out that these events are condensed here. Realistically they span decades. Most of the time nothing remotely paranormal happens. But when it does it's nothing to worry about.:) <--- (ran up the smiley quota!)
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-27)
Hi Tweed,

Thank you for sharing another amazing experience (s)! And please keep them coming.

I am sticking to Melda, I'd love to visit a place like that but I wouldn't have the courage to live in a house like this. 😊

I'm still thinking about the disappearing duck, hope it won't give me nightmares. Well it's still morning so maybe I'll forget about it until tonight. LOL

Once again, thank you for sharing. This was a very well written account, got to give you credits for that! 😁

Blessings.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: