You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Too Real to Just Be Sleep Paralysis

Real Ghost Stories

Too Real to Just Be Sleep Paralysis

 

First, I would like to start with a simple background of the town I live in. I live in a small town in PA called Skippack. It is a known fact that George Washington and his troops marched down the streets of this town on their way to Valley Forge. Along the way, many soldiers died. In a barn only a few miles from my house is where George Washington stayed a night during his long journey. There are TONS of reported hauntings in this area. I also have heard that when the soldiers would die they would simply bury them in unmarked graves.

My story begins with a common phenomenon called sleep paralysis. Basically, I want to explain to you why I know this is not a dream. It will start when I am really tired and usually when I first fall asleep. I personally believe that being really tired means that my mind is not thinking of anything when I fall asleep, leaving room for my brain to possibly pick up on paranormal activity. It starts when I hear a loud whispering noise in my ear... I always know that I need to get out of this now or I will be screwed. If I can't snap myself out of it, when I open my eyes, everything looks red.

First of all, I do not think you can dream in color. I make a point to try to look around the room and see if things will look the same when I am finished with the experience (if my blinds are up or down, the clock to see the time) I try to escape the experience by trying to sit up, but I cannot move, I feel like there is something right behind me staring at me while I am being paralyzed. I will try to scream and all I can seem to do is make a faint whisper. I feel scared stiff. Sometimes I can hear screams or phrases being repeated over and over such as "I am back" or an evil laughing. Most of the time I just hear a loud breathing.

In one of these experiences I remembered looking at the clock and seeing that it was 3:02am. When the experience was over it was 3:05, so I know that at least my eyes were open. Usually after about a minute I gather enough strength to force myself to move and I will jump up out of this. I have learned that if I go right back to sleep I fall right back into this same experience, so normally, I turn a light on and keep myself awake for 5-10 minutes. Usually this helps. There was one time in particular where I could not fight my way out of this. After what seemed to be a long period of time I started to hear a name come to me. I ended up typing it on my computer, but it was strange, the entire thing is fuzzy. I thought I wrote it down, but I didn't remember until later in the day and the memory of it was very faint. I tried looking for it and couldn't find it. I remember it was a strange name and for some reason I think it started with an M.

Another fact that adds to my argument against it being sleep paralysis is that I go to college in Massachusetts and I live in PA. I ONLY get these dreams when I am in my room in PA when my blind is open and there is no light on in the room. I have never had this experience at school, but every time I come home it happens and it happens more than once. If this was something that just happened to me because of medical or scientific reasons, wouldn't this happen to me anywhere that I slept?

It just all seems too real. I am very fascinated by the paranormal and I truly believe it after this has happened to me. The fact that it is a dream, just doesn't make sense to me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kristina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-21)
-kristina-

First of all I think it is interesting that you don't dream in color. 99% of the time my dreams are ALWAYS in color. I think it might be significant that you only get SP in your house and not anywhere else. Do you feel uncomfortable in your home, or do you think it is haunted? I mentally surround myself with white light right before I fall asleep, and this seems to help me a lot. I hope it is just your house, because at least you can move away from that location. I hope you stop having SP attacks because these can be really scary. I only had SP once in my entire life and I will never forget it!

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
ariana1424 (5 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
I would have to say I believe that much of what you are experiencing is HSP, but that there are things that I consider very unusual about the experiences you've described. I've been having hallucinatory sleep paralysis episodes for about 10 years, and they are terrifying to say the least. When I have an episode, I am very much aware of my surroundings. So it doesn't surprise me at all that you can see the clock and that it is, in fact, the correct time. Most of the time, I'm simply paralyzed and terrified. However, I do sometimes experience visual and/or auditory hallucinations.
The thing that strikes me as unusual about your experiences is the fact that you could not wake yourself up. I have always wanted to stay "asleep" and see what would happen, but the episodes are so terrifying that I can't help but try and snap out of it. And if I try hard enough I always can, usually within seconds and never longer than 3 or 4 minutes. It's unusual that you were unable to wake up. (At least, from my experience it is. I'm not a doctor and I don't claim to know a lot about HSP, so maybe it isn't unusual at all...) I also think it's strange that you seem to be experiencing the same thing. My hallucinations are never the same, and I certainly never continue to see things after I've woken myself up. So the figure you saw outside the window is pretty creepy.
I'm no expert about paranormal activity, sleep disorders, or anything that applies to your story. I just thought I'd share my thoughts and my experiences. At the very least, perhaps it will be a comfort to know that you may simply be experiencing HSP.
Margie (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-09)
Whenever you are trying to get closer to God, evil things try to prevent it and harass you. Be strong and pray to our Lord Jehovah, as much as you can, in the name of Jesus Christ.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hi Kristina.
I do believe we have a series of tests that we go through. Sometimes they take a while to wade through and then again at times they are simple tests (like whether you should steal the answers to a class assignment from a friend) that are only in place to see how strong we really are, and to make sure that we have learned something from what we have been given.
I do not know what your religion is, and that does not matter. Like I said, spirituality is a personal thing. What I grew up believing though is that these Divine Tests come from our Higher Power and not the devil. Our Higher Power allows us to make our choices and to live with them afterward. Our Higher Power is as a teacher, gently showing us the way through in class experience, pop quizzes and tests. He/She does not want us to fail. But then He/She wants us to have the free will to make our own mistakes and learn from them.
In keeping with what I think is your feelings on this: "With God all things are possible" does not really seem as if He/She would allow an Evil Being (in this case the devil) to dictate what goes on in your life. I think He/She may step back a bit and see just what your reaction would be to certain situations.
My interpretation of God is that He is a kind, gentle and loving parent who only wants what is best for His children. I would think if you lean heavily on Him as you would a parent in a particularly intense situation you may find those answers you are looking for in that area of your life.
kristina (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
thanks guys... All the help is great. And white buffalo thank you for responding. It is so true what you are saying. I mean, I see this happen in my relationship with my boyfriend as well. There are always bumps in the road that seem to keep us from being completely happy... In my case it is the distance between us because of my going to college far away. There are things that both him and I need to go out of our ways to do because the distance takes such a toll on things, but it is just easier not to, even though in the long run doing the harder thing will end up paying off. So your comment kind of helped shed some light on that situation as well.

I really do think that I just need to figure out how to overcome this. I feel that I am facing a lot of change and obstacles in my life, all of which I know God will help me persevere in. I just think this is one of the many bumps in the road the devil is giving me to keep me from doing what I need to do to grow in my religion.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Hi Kristina,
I will respond to your question to me, though you did not know you directed it to me. I am the one who said there feels as if something else may be going on also. The thing is, you just answered a question for me and that makes things a bit more clear.
I am not a psychic, so please do not think I know something or have the power to see what others can not. I just had a feeling something else may have been going on beside the Sleep Paralysis that seems to be an integral part of this experience. In your comment of the second, you answered what that something else just may be.
You stated that you are in the process of forming a better relationship with God. I believe that whenever we make a conscience effort to better ourselves (Would that make you a better person?) we all seem to come to road blocks. I happen to run into brick walls, but road blocks no less. We find excuses to not do what it is that we have already told ourselves we are going to. For instance, we decide that we are going to stop eating frosting directly out of the container. Two days later we have a horrible day and go to the icebox for a snack to forget the nastiness of the day and there sits a container of frosting practically calling out our name. Now, what we should do is slam the door and grab an apple off the counter, but most of us would just open the frosting, grab a spoon and dig in. (Shrug) I would.
Nothing new is easy. A relationship with God is a totally personal experience and one that is difficult to monitor. If you would have to check your progress in that area (though, to be honest, I do not see why you would have to monitor that) it would be near to impossible. You can determine that you have been reading the Bible more, joining in on services, developing friendships with those of like minds etc, but all that you have to show for it is your feelings when it comes to progress.
However: in the big picture you have all of eternity to show for it, right? What happens when we improve our spiritual self is that we are accosted by so many things. We are not usually literally assaulted, but we do have things that come at us to prevent us from becoming one step closer to the relationship we would choose for ourselves. We wake up late and can not have our quiet time before we start the day. We have to hurry through supper as we have an appointment so we skip praying over the meal. We think we got lucky instead of thanking God for making that car run out of gas just as it crossed the yellow line into our lane.
Sorry I made this comment so long, what I am trying to say is that sometimes our minds change things for us. It may have nothing to do with an entity, I really do not think it does. I still think it is SP, but I think you have a lot on your plate right now and it may be prudent for you to thin things out a bit.
Thank you, I hoped to help and not confuse.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
I do not know what all of the other commentts where, as some are not appearing any longer, so, I will just state my commentts, regardless.

Do not take everything as 'evil', letting it frighten you. You must remain in control. As soon as you panic, loose control or other wise act out in a situation, your energy will be zapped, not because of 'evil', but because you are a human being and these types of actions wear you out! Plain and simple.

From all descriptions I would venture to guess you are experiencing sleep paralysis. I am not making light of it, because it can and is frightening.

Try placing a cross in your bedroom, at least one, pray, pray pray. If this doesn't fit within your belief system, try burning sage and lavendar, using positively charged quartz ort complete a cleansing ceremony.

Regardless of the type of energy or what is actually occuring, these processes can only help and will increase you positive outlook (hopefully).

Remeber, when writing on this site or any other, you take the comments you want, and leave the rest.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
God Bless! 😁
FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-03)
If it does not leave you feeling drained then this is very good. Although the spirit that is harrassing you has not right to do this. You must show this entity that it is out of line by causing you distress.
If it is a good ghost they are ususually much more subtle. I would tell the ghost or apprarition to leave since all it is doing is scarring you. What benefits has this experience given you. If you answer is none then get rid of it, pray to god, sprinkle holy water where you sleep, it will not cross the barrier, that way bad/evil/semi-good you do not have to worry about it at night. Good Spirits will usually give you space, since they are ordered from god to protect you. The best outcome will allow you to sleep peacefully since this is all anyone would really ever want. You should not have to worry about this, you are able to live you life in Love and Helping others.
kristina (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-03)
Finance major. What you said in some ways does describe how I feel, but it usually doesn't leave me feeling drained the next day. Usually I just feel tired from loosing sleep. If you had to say one way or the other if this was sleep paralysis or something else... What would you say?

Also, I remember reading a comment that said it sounded like it could be a mixture of things including sleep paralysis. What could this mixture include? If anyone has input it would be very appreciated.

Also, I do not feel like I am any great danger. If something horrible were to happen... I am sure it would have happened by now. If this is paranormal, there are VERY few instances where people are actually harmed. I feel like if it is paranormal, it is trying to scare me and that is about the extent of it. Although it scares me, I know God will protect me so I wouldn't go as far as to say that I am in danger.
kristina (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-03)
Thanks again for all the input. I do appreciate all of your concern. I am not going to give w/e this is any fear because if it is not sleep paralysis I will not let it win and I will not give it any more then my curiosity. I was talking with my best friend the other day who is very religious and she gave me some good insight. I have been trying to grow closer to God recently. Whether or not this is supernatural may not be what I should be focusing on. I think that this might be something to distract me from God. I mean think about it... It takes my energy and causes me to loose sleep and in turn I don't have as much energy to devote to growing in my religion. So maybe it is a demon, maybe it is sleep paralysis... Either way it is a distraction from growing in my faith. What do you guys think and how do I overcome this?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
Thank you Mustang and Ohiowatha.
I have been coming back to some of these comments and wondering if something should be said or if indeed they just needed to be ignored. It would appear that the art of being subtle is lost on some, though.
All situations do not equal the same outcome Kristina. I am sure that you already know that. While some may tell you facts of different situations, that had horrible endings, that will more than likely not be the outcome in your situation. I stand by what I said before, I believe that you have had an episode of sleep paralysis. I do not think you have an evil entity that will take over your mind and body and cause you to do any harm to yourself or to others.
Thank you.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
Hi Kristina. I have to agree with Ohiowatha. Although it is easier said than done, please do not be afraid by comments that are made about your experience. Unless someone is absolutely sure of what you are dealing with, they should not be saying such things to frighten you! Take care. ~Shelby ❤
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
Rizfre, with all due respect, you do not KNOW that Kristina is in danger. Please refrain from scaring her until you are positive you know what you're dealing with. Your story and hers are completely mutually exclusive and the result of one does not pertain to the other. While I'm sure your intention is only to help, please try to remain objective and don't fall into fear-mongering. There are probably many explanations for her experiences and not all are dire.

Thanks.
rizfre (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
kristina, I,m giving this comment because I know that you are in danger. I have read one story here by Mandybooh who said that her sister killed herself and her family is being harrassed by evil spirits. What you are experiencing is real, it happened to my friend. They were in a remote house and he is lying in bed next to his servant boy when all of a sudden he felt this heavy weight on his chest as if there is a log on top of him. He tried to sit up but the thing is too heavy. He started praying then the weight lifted up. Then he and his servant quickly sat up. He looked at his servant and asked him if he felt that heavy weight and his servant said yes. Many evil spirits manifest themselves at 3 AM because Jesus died at 3 PM which is the opposite of 3 AM. My suggestion to you is to find a pastor to cast the evil spirits out of your house.
FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-31)
What this Means?
It means simply at your expense something is gaining strength and enduring in your surrounding area or visiting you. Do not Fear or Give it Power, how you might ask if just thinking about this creates Fear.
What is very important to Believe is that God is there and will Protect you if you ask for it and have Determined Faith that remains strong in all Situations.
I myself have a Cross in My Room that has been Blessed I give it much faith and know at times of weakness it will Protect me, and It Does, Always. V III.
FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-30)
Having the Energy Being Drained.
Through my various experiences since being very small I remember sleeping on my Bed and feeling a presence in the room, however, when I would try to get up I would feel to tired, and as time persisted I felt a little to tired to move, eventually what would happen I would feel as though my entire will to move would just vanish. It left me feeling drained physically/mentally the next day and somewhat assaulted. Some nights after that would happen again with much more intensity. Later after much thought I realized that as I would become weaker this other thing would seem stronger. V. III
kristina (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
The comment below is very helpful. There have been times where I start to feel like I am getting weaker as the experience persists. Also, now that I think about it, as the experience takes place my will to keep fighting seems to fade, so I have to fight to keep myself fighting. Can you explain what you mean by "having the energy being drained" and if this is the case what could this mean?
Thanks so much for your input.
FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-28)
Kristina,
I want to let you know that the experience you have had is very real. In fact most or all of the individuals posting here have not had this similar experience. If you cannot move and feel a presence it could be sleep paralysis. However, if you feel energy being drained from you this is another experience altogether. Alot is unknown throughout the world. Science is catching up and technology to gather this information is lacking. You can combat this situation with items that are significant to you and which you get strength from, it can be a cross, bible, holywater, pictures of loved ones, anything that changes your mood and creates a positive and powerful thought. I hope this bit of info helps. Take Care. V III.
kristina (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-28)
So I was just sleeping and I had another one of those experiences. I couldn't snap out of it and this voice kept saying I am Madisor and I am not leaving. I finally snapped out of it and I think I just saw something move past my window... Looked kind of like smoke but more dense and it just floated past. I am freaked out. I know I am awake because I am typing this. This is the first time I have seen something. It couldn't have been a shadow there is nothing moving in my room.
kristina (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
Thanks guys. Sorry I hadn't posted back for a while. I do want to be a part of the discussion. It has been so informative. I guess people dream in color... My roommate was the one who told me that you don't. The weirdest part of everything is seeing the clock during the experience and it has the same time as when I snap out of it. Can anyone explain this? Also AllieRN, I am glad that you understand and have experienced these things. It is comforting.

Just as an update: I am currently home for a month for my winter break. It happened to me when I first got home, but then I put a small Christmas tree in my room and I keep the Christmas lights on in my room and nothing has happened sense.

People were talking about stress and I am not too stressed, just the normal and its more of a positive stress. If anything I am more stressed when I am away at school.

I think I am going to try to get in touch with my doctor and get some information on sleep paralysis and explain things to my doctor. Hope she won't think I have lost my mind! Haha :-)

Also, I am very religious. I think I will start keeping a cross and a bible in my room just in case this isn't a dream. If this is some sort of paranormal entity, it certainly is not a nice or good one.

Thanks for all of your help guys! KEEP IT COMING!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-26)
It's nice that people share their stories and experiences, but I HATE IT when they will not participate in the discussion. In my first story, I accidently put that, I WOULD NOT participate in the discussion but I did not mean that! I think that this is why there aren't many people that have commented/posted on my stories/experiences. Either of them. =( By the way, the titles of them are, "Shadows in My Life" and "Grandmother"! Just in case you would like to read them. No pressure though! =P I think they are extremely creepy, strange and amazing!~Shelby ❤ 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-26)
Hi Kristina. Excuse me.
Hello frenchpoet. I agree with you on dreaming in color. I dream in color like I had said before and rarely dream in black and white. I wonder what it all means?! 😕~Shelby ❤
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-26)
That is creepy! But I have to disagree about dreaming in color- I always dream in color, and I will occasionally have dreams that are in black and white. I don't really have any advice for you, though. =( I have a harder time sleeping at home than I do at school as well.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-26)
Hi Luvparanormal! I have NEVER heard of just dreaming in color and that you only think that you are. I KNOW that I usually, only dream in color. I think dreaming in black and white has a significense(sp?). Everyone hears all kinds of different things but it would take a lot to convince me otherwise! Strange! I wonder what it all means?~Shelby ❤ 😊 😐
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-26)
I was once told that dreams are black and white only and not color that that you think it is in color, but the truth is that I swear that all y dreams are in color. I found some information on Sleep paralisis and want to share with you. I would also recommend that if you are a christian or believe in God I would recommend that you say a prayer before bed and read from the bible outloud that will help you inmensly.
Here is what I found on sleep paralisis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-23)
I can't help but think sleep paralysis comes with a big change in someone's life like a move or a death or a divorce. I'm sure that is not a hard and fast rule but just seems to go with the turf. I wonder if this is any different than what they call"night terrors".I also think this could be a hormonal happening as well. Seems to happen a lot to teens or young kids going through some kind of major change in their lives. Like Dennis Miller says this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
AllieRN (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-23)
Kristina,
I too have had similiar experiences at different times throughout my life. I too have wondered whether it was a supernatural experience or just sleep paralysis. In my experiences someone (who often can't be seen) is at the foot of my bed grabbing me by the ankles and pulling me towards the footboard. The more I try to fight it off by kicking, the harder they squeeze my ankles. I have actually snapped out of this and been down in the bed. Scary crap! Like I said I've dealt with this off and on for many years. Some experiences slightly different from others. And I can't link it to stress. It has happened at complete times of contentment in my life. I have actually had my ankles feel achy. I know exactly what you mean by the ease of slipping back into this. I have actually gone without sleep at all just because I have been afraid to lay back down period! I'm relieved to know I am not crazy nor the only one that has dealt with this. I honestly haven't spoken to very many people about it cause I don't want to be labeled "CCFCCP" (that's coo coo for coa coa puffs)!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-23)
Well I don't know what to make of this. Sure does sound a lot like sleep paralysis especially when you are not sure you got up and typed on the computer or not. It sounds like a waking dream to me and from what I gather about such an event it does seem very real and you could swear you were awake but in all reality you probably were in that half waking/half sleeping mode where a dream seems to bleed into your reality. Hey, I could be wrong too and I am not trying to debunk your experience just trying to understand it.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
I dream in both color and black and white, depending upon the dream and the variances of the day before.

There are wonderful suggestions here from many other members of this site. I would like to add that you could place a cross in your bedroom, above or very near to your bed and pray, pray, PRAY! Let this 'thing' know it is not welcome in the name of the Lord.

YOu may want to try to examine the diferences for sleep with you between home and school, it is quite possible that the entity that is 'bothering' you quite honestly belongs in the home that you call home. You will need to take charge to get it to move on.

God Bless!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
Hello Kristina, I too dream in color on occasion. I believe that dreaming in color is a sign of a more open consciousness(just my theory, I could be wrong). No I don`t believe it is Sleep Paralysis, I would do as Shane said and pray to whatever Power you believe in.

FRAWIN ❤

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: