You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Metallic Manifestations

Real Ghost Stories

Metallic Manifestations

 

It has been a while since I posted a story on YGS, and I've seriously considered not submitting this one. Oddly, I haven't finished typing up a different story because it sounds fake to me, even though my family all swear to the truth of it. (It's a weird habit to have: writing out YGS stories and *not* submitting them.) This story, though, has been on my mind for the last month, since I described my parents' first American house's location Aaron94 in the comments to his story, "The House With The Furnace."

My parents had bought a brand-new single-level ranch. It was a comfortable, calm house with a decent front lawn and -most importantly- my brother and I got separate bedrooms again after a sojourn in a cramped apartment near dad's work. There were a few things that were odd about the house; I did not care for the steep staircase into the cavernous basement, as the stairs had "open" risers. I'd always felt a bit uncomfortable in the basement, partly because there were only two tiny windows (which were both located under the deck), and the washer and dryer were installed against the end wall. I resented having to remove laundry from hampers in the bedrooms, carry it along the length of the house, guide it through an awkward U-turn in the kitchen, take it down the steep stairs, and heft it all the way across the length of the house *again* in order to be washed. There were positive aspects to the house, too, as it did have a substantial deck which stretched half the length of the back of the house, and there were lovely views from all of the windows. As dusk approached, I wasn't terribly fond of the view through the sliding doors, across the deck, toward the decrepit abandoned cottage in the northeast corner of the field. As I told Aaron94, my brother and I explored it, against our parents' specific instructions to stay out of it, but it was a sad, decaying structure, filled with the moldering possessions of the previous inhabitants, and collapsing slowly into its own basement.

My parents' home had been built in the one habitable lot on the 8-acre meadow; the seven other 1-acre lots, including both the collapsing cottage and the already-poured concrete basement downhill from us, had failed the State's percolation tests. The 10-acre meadow opposite our house was mostly sloping marshland draining into a brook to the south, which then, in a perverse quirk of Massachusetts topography, flowed along the southern and western boundaries of our meadow, heading northward.

I am including all of this detail to illustrate that the house was pretty normal and was surrounded by New England countryside: wooded hills, a dairy farm, maple trees, an elm-lined brook, etc. Juxtaposed against this quiet, rural habitat I witnessed three inexplicable objects whose behavior seemed to obey their own version of the laws of physics, but were definitely interacting with the space occupied by my newly-constructed home.

It was either the second or third summer we lived there that I had been playing outside with our dogs, and I became thirsty. I climbed up the deck stairs, entered through the sliding doors into the dining area, and turned left into the kitchen. I poured myself a glass of juice from the fridge, and stood with my back against the kitchen cabinets which lined the wall abutting the deck. I was about half-finished with my drink when I was seized with the certainty that I should look down at the floor. A silver-grey cylinder, about 4" or 5" long emerged through the kick-plate under the cabinets. It was rotating slowly clockwise as its center-pivot proceeded at a steady pace across the kitchen floor and disappeared into the baseboard radiator on the wall that separated the kitchen from the basement stairs. The cylinder seemed to taper towards each end, so it resembled an old-fashioned fountain pen with the cap on. It appeared to be completely solid, as I could not see the linoleum through it as it moved, and the odd detail which struck me at the time was that the silver and grey colors seemed to be fluid --or viscous-- in their appearance, swirling around each other with no regard for the momentum of the object. The fact that the object was able to phase through walls was intriguing, but I had no idea why the same effect did not apply to the kitchen floor.

Had that been a one-off event, I'd have put it down to a mild hallucination due to dehydration and left it at that. Indeed, if the autumn object had not been airborne, I'd probably have forgotten it completely.

In the autumn, though I believe it to have been the autumn of the next year, I had a fight with my parents (well, mum) in the living room, stormed off into my bedroom, shut (slammed) the door, and sat immediately behind it to prevent anyone else entering. I was upset and agitated, so I sat still, trying to fight back tears, when an object of the same silver-grey coloration appeared. It was about the size of a sheet of typing paper; initially, I thought that slamming the door had dislodged a sheet of homework from my desk. The rectangular object was clearly thicker than a sheet of paper, and it was very slowly flapping as it rose through the air on the other side of my desk. It would form a downward crescent as it rose, then continue to rise --though more slowly-- as it became flat and raised its ends into a "U" before accelerating upward with the next flap of its extremities. I was transfixed. I began to recall the fountain-pen shape from the kitchen, and I remember wondering If this silvery-grey object would behave in the same manner by disappearing through the ceiling, when the bloody thing vanished at a height of four feet off the floor. It disappeared in the manner of a popped soap-bubble, and I felt disappointed that this levitating, flapping rectangle had cheated me of a cartoonish noise to accompany its cartoonish behavior. However, as I was furious with my parents, I could hardly go into the living room and ask that they help me find a reasonable explanation for evanescent metallic objects which I couldn't prove existed.

Some time later (I *think* it was spring, but I don't remember this one as clearly as the other two) I think I was reading in the living room. While I sat on the sofa, I saw there was a sphere that lingered only for a moment, out of the corner of my right eye. It bobbed along in my peripheral vision, like metallic balloon held by an invisible child. I turned to look at it as it continued to proceed forward at a leisurely pace, when my German Shepherd barked, once, next to my left ear. I looked at the dog, who was looking at the sphere, but when I turned back the sphere was gone. I don't know if it popped, hid, or was confused by the tropical fish tank, but it was no longer there.

This last event was about 25 years ago; I can state with some certainty that I've seen strange events and inexplicable occurrences, but I have never seen another one of those quasi-solid, peculiar objects which appeared to obey some of the laws of physics, but not all of them. All three were in the same house, which was undergoing final construction when my parents bought it; they appeared at different times of year, they did not proceed in the same direction, they did not have the same shape or motion, but they shared a weird swirling, metallic exterior.

I was in three different states of mind with these encounters (exhausted, furious, and preoccupied, respectively), and --before anyone asks-- no, I was not under the influence of any illegal substances. (Basically, as an adult, I'm on medication to stop my brain from doing what other people's brains do when they get high; I was never interested in trying drugs because I had enough trouble staying in touch with reality, but that's a different story entirely.) I'm happy to discuss the events, as always, but it's more to entertain suggestions from everyone else on YGS, as I'm flummoxed by the whole thing.

-Biblio.

Other hauntings by Bibliothecarius

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bibliothecarius, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-30)
Biblio-

Thanks! My shoulder is fine now. Surprising, considering the bounce I took when I hit the ground. A little stiffness the next day but but barely noticeable after that and nothing now. Not bad for an old lady, eh? 😆

You seem to have/had an extraordinary ability to control your emotions. (My husband has that but he does it with careful thought and looks at the "whole picture"). I say "extraordinary" in the sense that you manifested something that seemed, and maybe was to an extent, real. It calmed you down and you proceeded on as if it was no big deal.

If more of us has this ability, I think there would be a lot less anger in this world. Something we could all use. 😊
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-30)
Greetings, Sylvie.

On YGS, the truly "weird" is part of our normal conversations. "To the best of your knowledge, have you ever being aware of having any contacts with 'UFOs' or more precisely 'Alien' beings? I know it sounds weird, but I'm just wondering?"

In the strictest sense of the term "Unidentified Flying Object," then I have to answer honestly, "Yes." On the night we were graduated from high school, I was hanging out with several of my friends who were what we used to call "straight edge," in that they neither drank nor smoked. [I'm fond of a good pint, a crisp G&T, a smooth single malt, or a glass of red, but alcohol is not necessary for me to have a good time with friends.] We sat out on the hoods of assorted cars staring at an exceptionally clear night sky. High above us, we could see assorted aircraft with their tell-tale blinking navigation lights, and well beyond them, against the backdrop of stars, we could see what we presumed to be communications satellites in orbit. Several of these satellites were **not** moving along a single trajectory, but they appeared to be buzzing around a slightly-larger light and around each other. Ultimately, several of them moved off in a north-easterly direction, and the larger light very slowly began to diminish in size (as if travelling upward) until we could no longer distinguish it from the the stars. I have no idea what this event was: it may have been a malfunctioning satellite; a micro-meteorite cluster bouncing off of the outer atmosphere and a few projectiles burning up as their momentum carried them earthward; or some top-secret military/DARPA device. This experience is the only time I have seen an object (at least, the lights affixed to --or generated by-- an object) in flight for which I could not identify with any degree of certainty. As my friends were watching them, too, I felt secure in acknowledging my ignorance; they didn't know what was generating the lights, either.

As for Extra-Terrestrial Entities, Alien beings, etc., I'm going with a solid "no." As far as I know, I have not met with anyone I suspected had originated on a planet other than our own. I'm a sci-fi nut, but I don't think that I'm interesting enough for another species to traverse vast swaths of interstellar space in order to visit me. When I want my life to get weird, I assign art projects to my students.

Best,
Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-30)
Mack, thanks for the comment!

Imagine, if you will, that this response is accompanied by the iconic theme music in E...

The mind is a powerful processor: both of sensory data and of abstract conceptualizations. I have no problem with the idea that instead of hurling around random --potentially fragile-- objects, my brain displaced the phenomena into a less destructive but equally odd visual phenomenon. An over-simplification, if you have no objection, may clarify this point. If I were to chose between the two extremes, I'd describe myself as being a creative person; even when circumstances require being destructive, I get less satisfaction from exertion of physical energy than I do from being creative/innovative in the process.

Thanks for your ideas, Mack; I know they seemed a bit rough around the edges to you as you typed them in, but they made perfect sense to me.
-Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-29)
Hi, BGP!

How's your arm feeling, now? I've just spent 1.5 months with a pinched nerve giving me hellish stabbing pains and tingling numbness. If you've got anything that feels similar to that, go to your doctor; in most cases, the recommended course of action is physical therapy & painkillers first, before they even think about surgery.

Your comments seemed lucid to me, despite your pain.

I like your follow-up to Manafon's suggestion of the emotions being made manifest as thought-form hallucinations/mirages. As they were peculiar to behold, their nonthreatening behavior had a definite calming effect on me; energetic displacement in a visual form instead of destructive poltergeist-type activity is pretty consistent with my personality. I've just realized that after the second bird-like manifestation, I was calm enough to read a book (I don't remember which one) while continuing to sit against the door. When I'm angry, I can't focus on reading; this lends further credence to this line of thinking.

On a personal level, I'm not entirely sure what they were, but I'm leaning towards the plausible thesis that you, Manafon, Augusta, and a few others have posited: the interaction of my psyche with the physical & energetic environment.

Hope your arm's feeling better,
Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-28)
Greetings, ladycastlemaine:

It's been a rather busy week at school, so I've not had time to address everyone's suggestions and ideas. I'm surprised that I'd never heard of the account in the Tower of London; It was fascinating to read! (My wife has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Tower's prisoners, their political/moral/religious crimes, and their punishments; her interest is primarily the Lancastrian, Yorkist, Tudor, and Jacobean eras.)

I've been mulling over the facts of the case presented, and there are documented cases of "folie à deux" in which two people share a delusion (usually under intense stress), especially if frequent conversations about the hallucination reinforce the existing belief. The idea of the experience in the Tower being of piezoelectric origin has some merit, but the issue of the individuals who saw it because of a greater degree of sensitivity to the phenomena is problematic, in that Edmund Lenthal-Swifte's wife and her sister would be more likely to share the genetic trait enabling them to perceive the cylinder, and the son would have been more likely to have inherited this genetic quirk from his mother (I'm thinking about sex-related traits on the x-chromosome) than the husband and wife seeing the phenomenon without corroborating accounts from the others.

Lenthal-Swifte's description was intriguing, but the elision of the fact that he was attempting to deter or remove the spectral cylinder is not included in the paragraph describing his reaction: "I caught up my chair, struck at the wainscot behind her, rushed up stairs to the other children's room, and told the terrified nurse what I had seen." He and his wife see a manifestation, she claims it has grabbed her, he jumps up to smash his chair against the wall, and he runs away to the nursery to inform the nurse (possibly within earshot of the other children) what has happened. (I can't help wondering "Why?" When my wife is scared or upset, I tend to stay with her to reassure her; Lenthal-Swifte runs off to chat with an employee.) I suspect that something else was going on here, but what manner of deceit or fraud they were trying to accomplish is not readily obvious.

Thanks for adding to the conversation, and for providing the link to the bizarre historical narrative.

Best,
Biblio.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Oh I'm not sure about the cigar shaped thing - it just followed them home and everyone in the car saw it. He lives out in Eastern Colorado along the Platte River and it is creepy out there! He and his wife also woke up to flashing lights, as though someone was snapping an invisible camera and it stayed ahead of them as they walked down the hallway.

I think some places are just funky and weird - my grandma's (down the road) was also had a pretty weird vibe too, I'm glad I never had to live out there.

I think the water flowing all different ways on Biblio's property may have indicated some kind of 'off' magnetic energy. I'm reminded of 'The Magic Road' site on a Father Ted episode, where you could go uphill in a wheelchair without moving it yourself. Not sure if that was fact or fiction, but I suspect something similar does probably happen in nature. Those kinds of places might also just attract or make visible other weird phenomenon like the floating metallic things.

Maybe the previous poster who also has seen things could say if his house was also on strange waterways, that could hold a clue.
Sylive_101 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Shelbyloree...About the cigar shape UFO?
I find out just recently through pretty safe contacts, that cigar shape UFO's would be ships from the "reptiliens" kinds of Aliens race!😐
According to my source, there are 2 kinds of "Reptiliens" and those particular ones have been here on this planet first (way before us).
In addition, they said that 'if" and "when" we can actually see their ships, it would be reckless reptiliens and/or defective ships.
Now, I realize this sounds weird, but when I was reading your comment I thought you might want to know. Hope this helps a little?
I know this subject is a tough one to share. But, people have the right to know... So for that thank you for sharing!
😐
Sylive_101 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
Hi Biblio... You have no idea how happy I am you told your story...ouff

I also had "metallic" object experiences. Not exactly like yours but nevertheless, the objects, I see are very small, they fly up in the air, almost to the ceiling. They seem to appear more in my bedroom.
I'll be watching TV, then they appear, they are tiny little shapes, lines, dots, but they do fly and at times one of them will disappear into a wall.

This is so strange, isn't it?

The best way I can describe mine is like when we get up too fast and we see metallic bright dots, well kind of like that, except I'm calm, lying down or sitting and here they come. They move, fly then goes right into the walls. They appear random, I never know when or where?

To this day, I have no idea what they are or why they suddenly appear. I've asked others but nothing?

Question: To the best of your knowledge, have you ever being aware of having any contacts with "UFOs" or more precisely "Alien" beings? I know it sounds weird, but I'm just wondering?

Maybe if you try to take pictures, videos? I'll do the same and let's see what happens?

Anyways, I Just wanted to tell you about mine in case it makes some difference knowing I, too, see things, sort of like this...
Thanks for sharing!😉
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Biblio - your house layout reminded me of my uncle's, although he built a laundry shoot thing in the bathroom directly above the laundry room so you didn't have to go clear across the house, down the stairs and then back again to do the laundry. It apparently was very helpful!

The pen shaped object also reminds me of when my uncle (again) and his family witnessed a cigar-shaped UFO on the way home, too. Yours was pen shaped though. I guess it's just reminding me of other worldly weirdness, so I'm casting my vote for little green (or silver/grey) men, myself.

The water is telling too, they've done studies on the swamps/underground water tables around England where they've got the stone rings and crop circles and all that strangeness - the water goes every which way too, like on your property. Some funky feng shui there!
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Hey Biblio - very much enjoyed digesting your account. Very well conveyed. I can't add anything more to what has already been suggested; I really have no idea what these objects were.

My initial thought was some kind of hallucination, but only because of the very unusual appearances of the objects, but then I got thinking about poltergeists and how often the disturbances are centered around one individual, often the individual is in some kind of emotional crises and / or puberty, or the atmosphere of the family home is stressed and tense etc.

I wonder, were these objects (particularly the flapping one) simply some kind of energy manifestation of yours (or the collective family's) emotional angst?

I do realize that last sentence is heading somewhat into "The Twilight Zone" type of question but I hope you understand where I'm going with that line of thought (if you DO understand, would you mind explaining to me what I'm talking about?😆)

Thanks

Mack
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Biblio-

Another thought provoking and fascinating account from you. And I'm loving all the feedback.

I'm going to go along the lines of what Manafon suggested.

Your life seems to have been in a lot of turmoil at the time. Could it be that this was some part of your brain, perhaps on a subconscious level, going into a self protective mode or maybe on a higher level, pushing your mind to go even higher? You were already on a 25 track mindset. Why not take it even further?

The cylinder/pen rolling away, the undulating paper, (I got the image of a bird flying away when I read it), and the sphere bobbing along. All of these objects seemed to me to be going away from you. Hence, the self protective mode. You pushed your emotions away and they manifested into these objects.

I started typing this our about an hour ago and my grandson came over and I had to go help him move a heavy toolbox. I took a pretty nasty fall, lost a toenail and thought I'd dislocated my shoulder, (that's going to hurt like hell tomorrow), but other than the toenail, I was fine and got up and pushed through and came back in to finish up here. So if this doesn't make any sense to you, I'm going to blame the fall. 😆

PLEASE DO share your other accounts. You know. The ones you don't deem worthy of posting. I'd be willing to bet they're just as good as anything else you share with us! ❤
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
I have read about such encounter in this site but I am not sure what the title was.
The OP was tired and was in his/ her working office, it temp that shape shifters or what I call travelers are to be blamed not T1000 for T2 LOL

Well, yes, there is lots to be explained and lots of reason that we can think of, but stress really is our worst enemy so be aware.

Blessing from São Paulo
E.Lynx
ladycastlemaine (8 stories) (14 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
The first thing I thought of when I read your story, was an account by Edmund Lenthal-Swifte, who was once the custodian of the Jewel House in the Tower of London. I'd read it in a ghost book as a child and it had also puzzled me.
He also saw something cylindrical, with whatever it was made of 'rolling and mingling within the cylinder'. It wasn't metallic looking like your vision, but it sounded similar enough for me to instantly recall what I'd read. I found something about it online:

Http://www.strangehistory.net/2015/07/15/the-cylinder-monster-1-the-witness-account/
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Tweed:

Oh, my God! Robert Patrick was to blame!

To my recollection, his swirly metallic appearance was more silver & lighter silver colors, but it was similar to that mercury-type fluidity.

T2 was released two or three years after these events, as I recall being in my mid-teens when one of my friends took a girl to see it on a first date. Oddly, I communicate with her more often than I do with him, now. (My high school friend, I mean; I've not been stalking any actors!)

Best,
Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Augusta:

I find the idea that it was a mixture of perception, natural phenomena, and potentially-supernatural phenomena has intriguing possibilities. It would explain why no-one else in the family (besides the dog!) saw these events, and why I only experienced them on 3 separate occasions with little commonality. It could be one of those phenomena which are seldom seen because they require just the right mixture of circumstances and awareness.

Thanks,
Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Hi, again, Manafon:

I don't want you to get the wrong idea from my response to your first message; I found a great deal of comfort in your suggestion, "a visual hallucination created by your brain to soothe and calm you down. You did become transfixed on it and it did seemingly get your mind off the fight you had just had with your Mom." I hadn't thought of the object that way before, and I was indeed transfixed, but my brain --thanks to the adaptations to the emotionally volatile environment of my late childhood and my teen years-- tends to find reasons to blame myself, even while absolutely refusing to admit any culpability out loud. Gotta love cognitive dissonance...

I was around five years old when I was too excited to sleep on Christmas Eve (it was even odds on the "naughty" and "nice" lists that year), and I heard what may have been just snow or a bird's nest slide down the inside of the chimney toward the living room fire place. I didn't bother trying to see him, but I felt reassured that I'd heard Santa Clause arriving at my home and I got a good night's sleep.

Best,
Biblio.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
After reading your response, Biblio, I had to write back and say I think I know how you feel. My childhood had some rather dramatic negativity in it as well and I have always been the 'many simultaneous trains of thought' type - even to the extent of the examples you mentioned - I read for the same reasons. By combining what you related of your past and comments by Melda and Manafon in a round about way, I come to another thought - in psych you learn that individuals who have experienced trauma as children (divorces, abuse, upheavals, etc) are better attuned to their instincts -their "gut". That interaction may have had some impact on the sheer volume of experiences you have had.

In terms of this specific account - I harken back to Melda's comment (more directly this time) and agree that intelligence may play a role here - the human mind is capable of amazing things and we have discussed many times on this site the role young minds have in poltergeist situations. Perhaps your mind in the agitated states you described was able to subconsciously interact with some sort of latent energy in the space (either a low level haunting or ley lines etc) to make that energy visible to you in these abstract ways. In other words, it wasn't all psychological neither were the shapes purely paranormal - but I would posit that it was both. Anyway, that's my thought of the moment - I hope my reasoning was somewhat coherent.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Biblio, you saw the T 1000 from Terminator 2 😲

I can only think of a mercury type substance and some crazy inventor wielding goodness knows what for goodness knows why. Fountain pen shape, rectangle paper shape flapping about, something like a balloon. All sound like a mixture of household objects and/or ye olde tools for some purpose that's only clear to the individual/s responsible.
I don't know if you recall this submission by Sheld, but it was one of those big lanky white stick figures, I imagine the same as my chalk man. But Sheld said theirs appeared 'shiny', they saw it in day light. That's the closest thing to swirling metallic material I've read on here. Doesn't mean their connected though.
Other than that I thought of an elemental, maybe?

On the hallucination side of the spectrum I used to purposefully look for shapes in our carpet as a kid. These days I do this with our curtains. But I've never been able to conjure my own entity at will, then again I've never tried, sounds way cool though.

Manafon, when drama kicks off on YGS I put Ella Guru on in my mind. Always puts things into perspective. I also dig Garland's Tweed coat. Ah huh. 😁
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Biblio - You know what? I think we could carry on until doomsday and never find explanations for inexplicable events which we experience, be they related to paranormal, mental disturbances due to unsettling lifestyles, or whatever else!

What I do believe, is that people who are way above average intelligence do experience rather incredible experiences which cannot be explained, such as the rather strange events which happened to you in you in this specific submission.

Please don't ask me for reading material - I don't remember that 😊. I read up on certain unusual paranormal events but don't keep a journal and names of authors. That should be the next thing on my list!

I'm not talking about the average experience of seeing ghosts, dreams and sometimes premonitions and so on, which I have experienced throughout my life, but truly more than the average supernatural events.

Regards, Melda
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Hi Biblio,

Thank you for answering my question, and I am truly sorry for bringing back some bad memorie! When I decided to ask you that question I was thinking about something else...

I know exactly what you are talking about, I had something similar happening to me when I was 15, and I will only say (don't want to detract more from your account) that it is very, very hard to act like na adult when you should only be a child or teenager, and taking the weight of the world upon your shoulders instead- this is how it felt to me. And yes, I also kept reading to try to escape a bit from reality. 😊

I think good fellow Augusta made a point, and even though it doesn't make a lot of sense to you ley lines are connected to magnetic fields. In my opinion it could somehow create a phenomenon like those you have experienced, either that or you might have had a glimpse of something from another dimension.
To me, these are the most pausible explanations... I may not have enough information to support it but I believe you saw something, and this is making sense to me. 😊

Everytime you experienced this phenomenon you were in different moods so it seems random, could the house be near any magnetic field that allowed you to see some form of life of a different dimension? It's hard to prove but I think it could be a possibility... Or not?

Blessings.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Biblio--I know from previous comments on other accounts that you had a traumatic event that changed the balance in your family. I really don't want to stir up any bad memories for you and was only offering a possible alternative explanation for the objects you saw. I suggested the possibility that what you saw were some sort unconscious mental projections because at least twice in my life I have had that occur.

When I was four, I was so excited that Santa was soon going to be popping down the chimney that I got up and dragged my brother with me to the top of the stairs, where I was so positive (at least as much as a four year old could be) that Santa was there that slowly his figure formed at the bottom of the staircase. Kind of like something out of Fantasia, the figure appeared out of stars and a sparkling as if cast from a wand.

Then when I was eleven or so, and smitten with the idea of gnomes, I wanted to see one so badly that I imagined one in the hollow of a rotting tree stump. Both looked quite real but my desire to see them (I believe) created their images.

Your strange encounters with metallic manifestations do seem quite different but as a kid who also always had multiple thoughts running simultaneously, I thought I would suggest an alternative psychological possibility.

On a sidenote, Tom Traubert's Blues has always been a favorite Waits tune of mine. My wife and I would often sing along to the whole of the Small Change album. Music and all art, when my wife and I are chatting, is always discussed as if they are living things. Because, of course, they are.

Man, it would have been fun if you also discussed with that chemistry teacher Captain Beefheart's "Making Love To A Vampire With A Monkey On My Knee". If you dig Tom Waits you gotta dive into the deep end of the pool. Beefheart's deep end was a glorious sucking vortex 😁
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Argette,

I honestly have no clue if they would appear different to anyone else; I don't know how or why they would do that, nor do I know why all 3 appeared to me in different shapes. I suspect they were different objects, but I have no data to call upon to substantiate my opinion, here. (See the note I left for Caz.)

They were all similar in swirling metallic coloring; all were silent; and all disappeared in strange ways. I suppose they could have been the same object in different guises, or they could have been distinct objects wielded by some unseen, sentient source. I was hoping that someone else may have seen something similar, so that a comparison of the phenomena might yield insight to their nature or their purpose.

Best,
Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Hi, Caz.

Honestly, it was only after I began to write this account that I wondered exactly what you suggested, "it struck me that the way it/they move suggests they/it is sentient or controlled by something that's sentient." However, I have no idea why a sentient entity of any kind would provide 3 distinct events over a period of 2 or 3 years, then stop completely. I would have expected it to escalate in frequency, or undergo a dramatic change of some kind; as far as I know, these events simply stopped. No one else in the family ever mentioned them to me, but --in fairness-- I didn't mention them to my family, either.

I was under the impression that each of the shapes I saw was distinct from the others, and --apart from the methods of locomotion I described-- each maintained its respective shape. It is possible, of course, that they were the same object seen in different phases or stages, but I have no concrete data to support or to refute this. Hell, this was back when carphones were a status symbol and cell phones required a briefcase-sized battery pack; I would have needed to get my camera, open the lens cap, double-check the film was loaded, turn off the flash, use the manual focus, and hope like mad that it would still be there to be photographed...

Thanks for the feedback, the compliments, and the merry little tune to fill out the 50-character limit.

Best,
Biblio.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Oh, Biblio, I so identify. With much of what you have said so well.

About 13 years ago I started to have bifurcated thoughts, like two trains running at once on parallel track and sometimes crossing. It began with a bad cold and occurred several times in a one-month period.

I'm not sure if it's caused by fatigue, but when it happens, I am usually very, very tired, and I don't mean sleepy, although it can happen as I drift off...
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Interesting thought, Augusta!

This was in a central Massachusetts town in proximity to several key events in King Philip's War, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had been a Nipmuc hunting ground at some point, though I don't think that the sheltered valley was remarkable enough to suggest sacred lands.

I'm not completely convinced by Ley Lines (and their subterranean counterparts, telluric currents), either; I'd like to see a serious study indicating they're a byproduct of Earth's magnetosphere or somesuch before I'm persuaded.
"I really don't know but this just doesn't strike me as a human spirit but something else, something more abstract." There's only one response to your comment: "Welcome to the inside of my head." Most of my thought processes are abstract conceptualizations and analyses, but these events seemed "out there" to me **while I watched them happening.**

Best,
Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Greetings, BeautInside, and Manafon: thanks for reading. Answering your questions/comments will overlap, here, so I'll address both in the same response.

While I'm not going to be evasive on purpose, there are some details I'd rather keep private.

There was a traumatic event when I was eight; it really changed my entire family. From that point on, I became my mother's confidant, therapist, guidance counsellor, scapegoat... I was whatever the situation demanded in order to protect my little brother from the emotional turmoil he could not handle. Though they are still married, my parents fought a lot for about a twelve years, and I was the one who picked up all the pieces I could manage, and who got deeply frustrated with my parents for expecting me to act like an adult all the time instead of letting me grow up and make choices about the adult I'd like to be.

To cope with my mother's emotional baggage, I escaped into reading LOTS of books. Short stories and novels had plots which made sense (unlike the lives of my family members), and the structures of the texts were crafted to fit within certain sensible parameters (e.g.: sufficient clues to solve a Sherlock Holmes mystery; energy limitations on the engines of faster-than-light space ships; moral boundaries for good wizards; etc.). I'd have at least 5 novels going simultaneously; I would read up to 8 books, but the additional ones would be history, biography, biology, and poetry. I maintained 5 simultaneous trains of thought for about 25 years (believing this to be "normal"). My main focus would jump from one train of thought to another, as it became more interesting, but I was always aware of the progress of the other ideas. One of the effects of this is that I can listen to classical music and see the colorful patterns forming in my head, I can listen to poetry or songs and anticipate how the imagery is unfolding so I know when to expect an allusion or image to reinforce the major or minor motifs, just as I can hear a student read aloud his or her essay and --afterwards-- I'll identify which sentences in specific paragraphs contain mistakes. To reiterate: I thought this was normal.

Sadly, I was convinced that people who think in straight lines (basically, in sequential order, with no capacity to skip ahead to see what will happen later in the conversation) would --eventually-- learn to think properly, just as I eventually would develop some athletic ability. (Ha!)

To do all of this in my head, I suppressed my emotions because they prevented clarity of thought. Often, a crisis will cause perfectly normal people to panic, because this is "not **supposed** to be happening" to them; I find crises are simple to sort out because I shut off my feelings and work with the facts to mitigate the existing disaster, limit the potential for injury or chaos, then deal with the problems which are the inevitable (though much-diminished) consequences of my solutions to the massive problem. This may sound like a great skill to have, but I'm regularly mystified by people who manage to plan a normal day's activities in advance then have that sequence of events happen in roughly the time they've allotted (sequential thinking, though a little dull, is an asset with real-world applications that I've never really learned).

To the best of my knowledge, I've never hallucinated anything, unless the three random metallic-looking intangible objects I've described were some visual cortex malfunction/manipulation. My alluding to the use of drugs by other people was based upon a conversation with a chemistry teacher, as I discussed Tom Waits' song "Tom Traubert's Blues" with her, using color-coded highlights on imagery, allusions, and phonemic patterning (assonance, consonance), delving into layers of analysis she'd not known existed in one of her favorite songs. She told me that's the sort of obsessive wonderment and high-speed absorption in detail that is part of being high; I just call it "awake." (Linear thought is what happens between getting out of bed and 10:30 a.m.)

After about a quarter-century of my brain being pushed to operate at full speed, I started to burn out a little; the meds keep me down to 2 trains of conscious thought, sometimes 3 if I'm stressed; the others are still there, but they're diminished to "background noise." Usually, I am unaware of their progress until I look at a situation and discover that one of the now-quieted trains of thought has devised a solution for me by mulling over the potential courses of action for that problem. It's a little odd, being surprised by my own brain, but it's relaxing, too.

I do hope that this accounts for some of the less-conventional attitudes/observations in my narratives and in my analyses of other peoples' accounts. While I have immersed myself in learning about fictional and factual narratives, I'm well aware of the distinctions.

Thanks,
Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Melda:

No, it's not a dumb remark, but I think it's a case of my using familiar objects to describe the unfamiliar experiences. I do not own a fountain pen (I may put one on my Birthday wishlist, now that I'm thinking about it), but I know people who think they're the best thing ever. Such pens are reasonably similar to the double-tapered cylindrical object I watched slide across the floor while it rotated around its center pivot point. The reason that image stands out so clearly in my mind is that if I were to set a pen spinning deliberately on the kitchen floor, I would expect it to curve in the direction of the rotation; this object moved very clearly in a straight line (following the tile pattern of the linoleum) while rotating. It also emerged from a wooden panel and disappeared into an aluminum radiator without any noticeable effect upon either item.

As for the appearance of the "sheet of paper" object, I did believe for a moment or two that I'd dislodged some of my homework. It wasn't until I saw its flapping movement that I noticed that it was about the thickness of 12-15 sheets of paper. While I've lost -or temporarily misplaced- thousands of objects, and I've knocked stacks of paperwork to the floor, this was the only time I witnessed what appeared to be the self-motivated flight of a stack of silvery-grey paper.

These events were not at all scary, but they were completely out of the scope of my normal and paranormal experiences.

Best,
Biblio.
Caz (342 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Manafon...I took it for granted that Biblio found it difficult as a child to separate the 'normal' from the 'paranormal', because of the things that were happening to him at that time. I imagine that would be confusing for a child. I could be way off track here though. 😕
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
Biblio--Your latest account is a trippy one. Something you wrote has made me veer from thinking the three things you witnessed were paranormal. You wrote, "Basically, as an adult, I'm on medication to stop my brain from doing what other people's brains do when they get high; I was never interested in drugs because I had enough trouble staying in touch with reality..."

Do you think it's possible that your already overactive childhood brain aided by (in each separate case) exhaustion, anger, and your imagination being engaged by something you were reading, created visual hallucinations?

In the second case, it almost seems that the flapping, slowly rising rectangular object was a visual hallucination created by your brain to soothe and calm you down. You did become transfixed on it and it did seemingly get your mind off the fight you had just had with your Mom.

Of course the three objects you saw could be paranormal in nature but I thought I would throw out another possibility. Whatever it was that you experienced, it was fun to read about!
Caz (342 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-05-22)
PS...Wee green men from outer space perhaps? 😜
(50 Characters), um tiddly um pum pum pum pum just to be on the safe side... (Whistle)

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: