You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: He Speaks

Real Ghost Stories

He Speaks

 

This is about the ghostie I think of as a guardian. I've written about him a few times before. He seems to be the only ghost I can communicate with in a reliable way. Meaning I can usually find sense in any communication eventually. Whereas with other ghosties I'm often left with a bunch of possibilities, which are seldom conclusive. My rapport with this one has been a work in progress since I was a child.

The only times I've heard him speak is when I was super young. I heard him in my own ear if that makes sense. I remember his voice and even his accent but not what he said. Yeup that makes no sense but there you go. I know I was confused and/or completely dumb to whatever he'd say. By around age five I stopped hearing him in my ear.

Only very rarely will he say anything in dreams. If he does it's a couple of words or a sentence at the most. I think I can count those times on one hand. Dreams are from about early twenties to present day. He always talks slowly, calmly, with an odd precision, like he doesn't want to repeat himself. Until now I've been the only one to hear him speak.

It was around eleven at night we were both pottering about before bed. No music and no TV on. I was walking to the kitchen. My husband was in the hall. We both heard the voice, which came from the kitchen. He spoke just as I entered the kitchen. We had to figure out what he said, it sounded like "Is a rounding". I froze on the spot. My man trotted in and also froze. We sort of stared at each other waiting for something else, but that was it.

What's exciting me about this is he spoke in the room, not in the ear or in a dream, but a 'normal' way anyone else would talk. Best of all my husband heard him too. (I love it when I'm not crazy!)

I knew who it was, but my man made an educated guess based on how I'd described his voice in the past. He broke the silence and asked 'Was that...?' to which I began slowly nodding yes in disbelief. Then I started tentatively asking 'What did you say?' out loud a few times to guardian but nothing more did he mutter, of course.

After mulling it over we think he said 'It's a brownie' (nature spirit gnome thing). This is likely a reply to a question/request I asked of him about a week ago. Our clunker from a previous submission has been a bit active since. The lounge room door we've heard, but never seen, pushed open or closed (it's noisy). We've also heard what sounds like a saucepan lid jiggle, always when we're in another room. The other day we were watching TV and it jiggled particularly loudly, made us both jolt. I've heard some more noises coming from the bathroom. These ones sound like the cupboard closing. All these sounds are relatively new. We don't get an off vibe from them, we're more curious as to what's behind it.

On the odd occasion I ask the old guardian to check something out any activity promptly stops. I always find this amusing. This time the activity continued. Then a week later here we are hearing him talk. It usually takes a few days before I get a reply and I think this is because he's scoping things out, being thorough. My 'replies' come in the form of a fleeting glimpse of him standing in a room as I enter. It's like a faint shadowy style apparition in his shape. Over time I've come to believe this is his way of saying 'it's dealt with'. On the flip side if I see him in this manner without having asked anything, I know to keep alert. As I think this is his way of telling me something is up. I've seen him solid a few times over the years and it usually scares the crap out of me. But a faint shadow I can handle.

So a brownie eh? This makes sense I guess. But I don't know why it's suddenly become so interactive. The only major change has been looking after the godson about once a week, he's 10 months old now. So maybe it's that. Or he said something else entirely. Maybe even didn't mean for us to hear him, that's possible too.

The night we heard him we were super excited. Plus possibly having a brownie in the house is way cool. But most of all hearing this particular ghost's voice in a physical room is total stop the press stuff. I doubt he's going to make a habit of it though, oh well.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Tweed

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tweed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-04)
Hi Cloudy, sorry for the late reply.

Yes the good old 'tomten', I'm used to that name simply because of a children's picture book from when I was a kid. I would've used tomte to describe this little fella had it not been for the short sentence we heard.
There is an update to this and thanks for reminding me! A couple of friends have mentioned the smell of 'pancakes' at our place. Always at night, so then we started smelling pancakes here and there. But never when any visitors have mentioned it, which is odd. Anyway just this weekend we smelled the faint smell of something like pancakes again. We went outside to test if it was coming from the street, but apparently not. So maybe this random smell is a late night offering from our little friend. We don't know, but it's kind of cool if it is! 😊
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
Hi tweed, I just now went back and read some of your stories that I had missed, I'm curious to know if you have any updates on this? I find it very interesting! Many old folks in my home are firm believers of these creatures they are known as tomte/tomtar in sweden, my grandmother always told me the farm she grew up on had them. You were supposed to leave a bit of milk from the cows for them and they will help you to look after then farm and animals 😊 and as you said in the comments it's the same as for santa, he is also called tomten in sweden and they are often depicted the same way, with a little hat and beard, only a lot smaller!
Myst (63 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-01)
So glad to find that others have trouble "seeing" paranormal photos. For the longest time, I thought it was just me.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-01)
Thanks Lady Glow, I found that picture when I first joined, but had forgotten about it. I'm so bad with paranormal photos I can only make out a smudge of something. But it's very interesting given the location and the interest surrounding it.

There's some more photos I can't make sense of, seriously just looks like a lot of out of focus photos to me πŸ˜†
Http://fairytastic.co.uk/fairyphotos.html
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
Tweed: Perhaps you would like to check this picture from an old story. Though I have no experience with elemental spirits and would need to see a faerie to actually believe they exist, I cannot help but to think this picture is quite intriguing:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=3134
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
I really want to believe that photo is real. When I first saw it I believed it 100%. Now I think I've been fooled too many times so I'm 50/50 hopeful it's genuine. The women in the vid seem genuine and trustworthy, and as you say the original woman had not much to gain by making anything up. So yeah, I guess it's more likely.

Here's another:

How I hate the Daily Mail! 😠 Stupid tabloid paper, not at all trustworthy. BUT the images the guy captured are intriguing. If not, they're cute insects! Awe.

---

No way! YGS says the url is too long to post. Oh well there's some pics on the daily mail's website of what might be insects, but could also be fairies.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-30)
Tweed--I agree with babygoatpuller that the one photo is likely genuine. The story of the Cottingley fairy photos is pretty interesting. Arthur Conan Doyle was completely taken in by it. So much so that he wrote a book about it called "The Coming of the Faeries". He strongly backed the sisters whenever he could. He was a fun, weird guy.

As for your house Brownie, maybe you should dispense with the tea and leave a little Guinness instead. Maybe the little fella will loosen up a bit if he gets a bit tiddly 😜.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-30)
Thanks for sharing this Tweed. I remember seeing this episode a long time ago which was one of the few times that I watched Antiques Roadshow and was fascinated by it.

Given the embarrassment the woman suffered after finding out they were fake and then to go out on her own and take the picture with the "real" fairy in it, one has to wonder if maybe she didn't get a picture of the "real" thing.

I'm going to go with her in that it's the real deal because in my bubble, fairies exist! 😊

Maybe if you try putting some "natural ingredient" in the brownies, it'll be more enticing to the little fella. πŸ˜† ❀
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-30)
Thought this might interest the YGS community. This is from Antiques Roadshow, a program where members of the public bring in all manner of things to a team of experts who delve into the history and so on.
These ladies brought in the Cottingley Fairy photos, which were a bit of a to do in their time. These photos have been long known to be fake. However the relatives of the woman in the original photos claim one photo is genuine. An unpublished photo taken by the original woman when she was older. I can't make sense of the photo, but it kind of looks like paper dolls unfortunately.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WX1BhKxSYQ

While we're on the topic the food we left in the bathroom cupboard has gone untouched. But the tea level has gone down. I think this is down to natural evaporation though.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-11)
Greetings, Tweed.

When you mentioned the precise, deliberate diction of your guardian, I immediately thought of Peter O'Toole's very natural recitation of Shakespeare's Sonnet 18, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" The video on Youtube is from a "Venus," a 2006 movie; he had to be in his late 70s at that point, so his voice had taken on a gravelly quality in addition to his eloquent "R.P." (Received Pronunciation).

Reports of Brownies have diminished over the last century; you must have a very welcoming home, Tweed.

Best,
Biblio.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-07)
Tweed - You call yourself an idiot? I thought I'd posted a reply hours ago, only to notice that I obviously didn't hit "publish"!

Give the little guy some tea - one of my favourite beverages. I wonder whether he likes it hot or cold and where did he learn to drink it? I've heard, only "heard" that these beings are ancient. How ancient is tea? Don't know - will have to research all that!

Regarding your husband's brother. That's actually quite amazing, despite the fact that his death is very sad. Perhaps that's one of the reasons some people seem so familiar, although we haven't ever met them in life?

I remember an experience I had, years ago, when a woman I didn't know at all come rushing up to me and gave me a hug and I was so overwhelmed and happy to see her that I hugged her back, only for both of us to realise within seconds that we actually didn't know each other at all, although for those few seconds we did! One of those WTH moments - I can't even begin to describe it! That was seriously embarrassing. The point is that for a few seconds there was a genuine bond. I know that at some stage I knew this person. Reincarnation? I don't know. I tend to be up and down on that one.

The guy I see in my head. Well he looks like a Quaker. The hat, the dark clothes but always at a distance so that I cannot see his face clearly. Each time he comes into my mind the name Seth comes along with him. I don't know how real this is but it has been happening for years. I mean, how many men called Seth do you know? I haven't ever known any! Actually I don't know why I haven't ever googled Quakers and Seth - I might actually learn something.

Anyway bedtime now - winter here as it will be for you if you are in Australia at the moment. The warm duvet and fluffy blanket call me!

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-07)
Urgh that should say 'severe'. Blergh, annoying.

5050505050
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-07)
Melda, your laundry comment gave me a chuckle. πŸ˜†
I didn't have time to type this out before but I want to tell you something which might help you with the person you see in your mind.

For absolute years I occasionally had a man show up in my dreams. I didn't recognise him and he didn't show up that often. When he did he'd just look at me, always from a distance, like across a room, say. He never said anything, or did anything either, just stood and watched.
Last year my husband was scanning old photos and we ended up spending the evening having a bit of a photo fest. I'd seen all these photos before. But then I found a couple I hadn't, it was high school photos of my husband's brother. He took his own life before we met, so I never knew him. I call him 'my husband's brother' instead of 'brother in-law'. He suffered from sever schizophrenia. He didn't like having his picture taken, so every photo of him I've seen he has his hair over his face, or he's turning away from the camera. Or has an odd expression. Same sort of thing with home movies. I never made the connection. Except from a school portrait, which I only saw last year. Showing him calm, relaxed and looking at the camera. (As I'd seen in my dreams, only slightly older) It was quite an emotional moment. My man said something like 'but you know these photos' and pointed out his brother in a few photos of a group of him and his friends outside a town hall. His brother was in these photo too, looking 'normal' and relaxed the way he did in the high school portrait, but I'd never noticed him in these pics for some unfathomable reason.

So I don't know, who the person is you keep seeing. But maybe they're somehow connected to you or someone you know. I know I'm bias in saying this because of what happened with that portrait. But now I strongly believe going through friends and family connections is absolutely worth it. Even if just to rule it out. 😊

-------

After all that I also want to add on to what I wanted to say yesterday, but didn't have time to. That saucepan lid that rattles. We have a stove top kettle. So I thought maybe the little guy rattles things on the stove because he wants a cup of tea. πŸ˜† Hey, who knows right!
Geez that was, what, three sentences? I couldn't have squeezed that in yesterday? I'm an idiot sometimes.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-07)
Tweed - Thanks for your reply. I obviously didn't read all the comments properly. If I had I wouldn't have missed Manafon's reference to the book! I'll get a bookstore close by to order it for me for my upcoming birthday - courtesy of the husband.

I read your submission regarding the gnome and the house where your childhood friend lived. I think that was where my thinking started changing. You're far too credible a person for me to doubt any of your experiences. And no, I am not being patronising😊, my feet are far too flat on the ground for that!

You didn't believe in orbs? Wow! I have seen so many of those during my lifetime, not on photographs but right in front of me, that I was quite certain that nobody could possibly doubt them. Not quite true, many people would - just as they dismiss anything which cannot be (in their minds) logically explained.

I've never seen a brownie but a little one just once in my life wouldn't go amiss! I wonder whether I could coax it to do some laundry for me - there's a thought...

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-07)
Hi Melda, you know orbs? Well I didn't believe in them before I joined. But there's enough reports from rational people about them, so I've come to believe they're real now. But I maintain 99% of photographs of orbs are indeed dust and/or lens flare.πŸ˜‰

My knowledge of gnomes and stuff has come from how I was raised. Also my childhood friend and her family were into folklore. I can't recall any book titles, sorry. I get info online though. Manafon references books on here a lot. There's a title he mentioned below 'Field Guide to the Little People'.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-07)
Tweed - I haven't commented before because, quite simply, I'm a little blown away by your whole submission.

I wish I could say with certainty who my guardian is. I think it's a man I've seen in my mind for a number of years. I really envy people who can interact with their guardians. Just plain jealous, that's me 😠

The brownie: Well I can tell you that I never believed in fairies, gnomes, elementals etc until I joined this site. It's impossible for so many people to experience these sightings for all of it to be fiction. So I've opened my mind as far as these entities are concerned.

I googled and read up a bit on the brownies, that they are helpful, like honey and a few more things regarding their habits. I'll admit I didn't go into much depth. I didn't realise that they could be so small! You mentioned the size of a tennis ball.

Can you suggest any reading matter? This subject is a bit alien to me and I would love to learn more. (By alien I don't mean as in 'alien' from outer space!)

You certainly do have some very rare experiences!

Regards, Melda
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Hey Val, thanks for the info the thing won't let me vote for you at the moment! Manafon said the same about the food they like. Well, full cream dairy is all we ever get, so good stuff there.
I didn't know about leaving offerings out before bed. Just like Santy Clause πŸ˜† and we all know where Santy Clause partly originates from πŸ˜‰

Ugh I have more to say but I'm just heading out the door. Got to go, thanks for the cool info!
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Wow! Brownie, I did a research of it, senhora. It's a well-known legendary spirit sometimes called urisk in Scotland. In old days, they are known as changelings of fairies, which people feared of.

Now-a-days, they are somewhat like a hob or like a zashiki-warashi (translated as house child) in Japan. They are known to be a fairy child, which brings good luck to the house. It says if they are given any offer they will leave the house... If you really need to give them offers hide them and let the brownie find it himself. Also, it says please do not offer them clothings, else what they are going to leave the house too.

Much more "modern" explanation, they are known to be Santa's trainees LOL

Hope that interested you too!

Smiles from SΓ£o Paulo
E.Lynx
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Tweed,
If you wish to feed your brownie favorite Brownie foods include a bowl of cream or rich, whole milk; cakes with honey; and corn muffins, possibly served with honey. Although I'd think he'd (brownies are usually male - why? I dunno, but according to the old lore they are) he'd be just as happy with a bit of bread and a dab of honey. They seem to like sweet. And the best time to set it out is shortly before you go to bed.
Many folks don't realize brownies can come in various sizes from slightly larger than a fae (maybe 6-7 inches tall when grown) to a towering 2.5 - 3 foot. Sounds like yours may be around 4 inches tall. Brownies can also turn invisible, so the 'abnormality' you saw/sensed could be him. How exciting!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Update: This happened yesterday but I didn't have time to post it.

I was in our bathroom, where the cupboard noises happen. I noticed this abnormality on the floor about ten feet away, it was moving toward the bathroom quite quickly. If anyone remembers that film 'Predator' from the 80's, when the beast is in 'invisible' mode, that's kind of how this looked, except it was small like a tennis ball. I thought it might just be me imagining things so I looked away from it slightly, but it continued along it's path in it's original position. I looked straight at it again as it moved quickly into the bathroom and, I assume, into that cupboard which was directly behind me. Didn't seem to care that I was there. No clunking or cupboard noise either.
It's nothing conclusive, but it's seeming more likely we've figured out our noisy rascal. Quite possibly a brownie.😊 Today I've put some bread and tea in that cupboard. I felt like an utter lune doing it too lol.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
L, haha lucky you! My folks love him. I have early memories of colouring in and finger painting on the lounge room floor. With my folks and their friends gathered around for Sticky Moments a mock 'game show' he had in the 1980s. I never quite knew what they were laughing at, but I desperately wished Mattel made Barbie clothes as good as his.πŸ˜†

BeautInside, glad you enjoyed it. 😊 A 'brownie' is essentially a gnome entity. From what I've read they're the British equivalent to, or British term for some of the same, or similar, entities from Europe.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Hi Tweed,

Truly enjoyed reading your experience (as always)! 😊
So far, a Brownie was only a cake to me lol As I come from a different country with a different background and so on, by Brownie you mean a ghost, a gnome like creature or a spirit of nature? Really appreciate if you could make it clear to me. 😊

Blessings.
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Oops...
Of course "Clary" not "Clearly" was what I meant to write.
Don't you just hate that?
Sorry 😐
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Hey Tweed,
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Julian Clearly! That's a name from a while back - a friend of mine bought tickets to his show for my birthday back in high school, amazing how you laugh at anything when surrounded by laughing people!
An example I can understand. Thanks again:)
L
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-05)
Hi L, glad you enjoyed it.😊

The accent alone is a standard English accent, to give a general description I'd say 'Londoner'. It's not northern. It's peppered with something, not another accent, but rather what I can only imagine is an historical intonation. It's not like you hear on old radio broadcasts or in old films. It's, I guess, a more relaxed version of the slightly hammed up 'performance' style speech we're perhaps accustomed to from back in the day eras. Similar to how Julian Clary speaks, but much slower, far less animated and with a deeper tone.
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-04)
Hi Tweed,
Thanks for sharing this experience. I am curious to know what kind of accent he had. I also like hearing of your guardian as last year, after a lifetime of never having an experience I would rate paranormal, something strange happened when I learned one has to reach out to such "entities".
Nothing to make a movie out of but it should not have happened.
I would love to read more!
Thanks again!
L
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-04)
I know, I know senhora... I wanted to explain that too but I have lack of vocab...
People seemed to have physical evidences for spirits. That happened to me as well weeks ago but different situation, very odd indeed.

E.Lynx
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-06-04)
Manafon in reality I think if he'd actually repeated himself I'd have legged it out of there sharpish lol. Despite my bravery with ghosts, and calmness around them in general, I'm such a coward around disembodied voices. That said, I dearly hope he does it again. He has such an unusual voice and preciseness. I don't know how to describe it, but it's cool.

We've both noticed what we thought could have been a ghost cat, like one from the neighbourhood perhaps. Literally just a low, faint shadow dart from here to there. Which could be anything non-paranormal, as it's so faint. Now we're questioning whether it's a brownie we've been noticing.

A day or so after I submitted this I was listening to my own work, making sure it really was finished, urgh. (I finally finished my freaking album god almighty it took forever)...anyway I often don't turn lights on, prefer the dark because I'm a weirdo. So it's just the light from the screen in the room. From behind a big speaker to the left of me I could've sworn something 'gnome' shaped came out and just stood there a moment then came forward a bit more, on the desk. It was a shadow form. But sitting in the dark with nothing but screen light does not a reliable sighting make. So I don't know. But I wondered if we'd not heard or discussed that 'message' if I'd have dismissed the small shadow whatever it was.

We have this friend he's pretty eccentric. Anyway he believes he's got a gnome at the end of his garden. So I told him to leave porridge with a dab of butter. Because that's what I'd read they liked. He took that idea and ran with it lol. It's hard to say if it's wildlife eating what he leaves out though. But inside is a different kettle of fish. I'll try leaving an offering in the bathroom cupboard. Because of the sounds we hear sometimes that sound like those cupboards. If there's a brownie, maybe he favours it in there.

Roylynx, I'm glad you enjoyed this. I think on this occasion anyone, even the hardcore nonbelievers, would've heard this voice. I think sometimes the ghosts can manage to show themselves, or make themselves heard to anyone who happens to be around. I also wish I knew how to better explain that theory lol. This didn't feel like a psychic moment, felt more like the voice was happening in the physical realm. Hope that makes sense. It's freaky cool stuff!
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-04)
Wow Senhora Tweed, interesting one!
I have heard that each of us will have a period where we see spirits, most of people happened to have this ability during 0~6 years old and it will be gone. Some carries the ability until their late age. Some will start quite late, I know of a psychic whom started to have his ability to see spirits during his late 20's and he is now in his 30's now and still have his ability, no, I don't remember his name but I can do a research if you want.

Like, you might still carry your ability to hear that spirit or another possibility is that the "Brownie" is actually completely "new" and that it had appeared in your kitchen. Anyhow, that is very cool though! Like this!

Love from SΓ£o Paulo
E.Lynx
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-04)
Very interesting stuff Tweed! Once again a ghost voice is heard clearly but, I imagine because it happens so unexpectedly, the message isn't easy to make out. I understand asking the ghost to repeat itself. It's what we do with people when we don't catch what they said the first time. That your guardian might have said "it's a brownie" is cool.

Assuming the ghost did mean a brownie you have a rare chance to try something. In a book I have referenced a few times in this site (A Field Guide to the Little People) it states, "The best reward for a Brownie who has helped with the housework is a bowl of cream and a hot-cake smeared with honey." It then suggests that, "Brownies also accept simpler offerings of beer and brown bread if these are left quietly in their favorite corner." This book relates all the folklore associated with various nature spirits and the like and it would be super cool to see, if a brownie it indeed is, takes an offering. Now what its favorite corner might be is something you and your husband will have to figure out.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: