You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Cloaked Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Cloaked Woman

 

This happened about 15 years ago and is something that has puzzled both myself and my two friends who witnessed what we saw to this day.

It was on my 10th or 11th birthday and it was late August. I live in a normal suburban development just outside of Buffalo, NY. Before I tell the story, please if anyone reading this has any idea of what it was we saw, please reach out! Because I have no clue to this day what or whom we saw.

Like I said it was either my 10th or 11th birthday, it was late at night, and the summer was just about over. My two friends and I were out on my driveway playing around, while our parents hung out inside. Adjacent to my house is another house that has a small creek, with a guardrail bridge that essentially almost faces my house. While we were playing all three of us stopped, as we heard/saw a woman making loud frustrated sounds and almost stomping her feet, walking across the street from the creek/bridge. She had red curly hair, and was dressed not of this time at all. She wore a robe that looked to be black, with a rope around it. And from what I can remember her outfit seemed plaid. But again, unlike anything I had seen anyone wearing, even in the late 90s when dressing Gothic was at an all time high.

This kind of freaked us out so we ran into my garage. Not even 10 seconds later mind you, we decided that she was just a girl and it was nothing to be afraid of. So we mustered up some courage, grabbed a hockey stick and came back outside. When I say back outside, we stayed in the corner of my garage and peered out to where she was stomping around across the street.

She was gone, and a light fog had suddenly arrived, mainly around where we last saw her and the bridge across the street. Then all three of the pits of our stomachs dropped and we knew without seeing her exactly where she was. When we did look, she was now fully cloaked standing on the bridge, staring down into the water, then one of us whispered something to the other and I swear she had to have heard it, because as we spoke, she looked up slowly and turned looking right at us and into us. We couldn't see her anymore it was just a cloaked shadowy figure at this point.

Needless to say, this felt like a horror movie and we ran as fast as we could into my house. Closing the garage door and telling our parents who, naturally, didn't believe us.

Since that day a lot of weird things have happened, and honestly the three of us have never been the same. If anyone knows anything of what that might of been, please reach out. I've avoided knowing for a long time and I just can't avoid it any longer. Any help would be appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Imcr7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sandy13 (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-21)
Hey,
Honestly this looks like a harmless ghost that seemed to just pass through, maybe going through rough times. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks 😁
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-12)
Dark plaid robe could have been late 1930's through the 1950's, maybe.

Perhaps she had just had an argument with someone and was outside venting - I'm thinking like Hot Rod's 'quiet place' where he ran off to the woods to smoke and jump off stumps while playing air guitar.

She may not have noticed you and when she did, she left. Whether she was dead or not, I couldn't say.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-09)
There have always been myths and legends surrounding redheads and often evil characters in folklore are said to have red hair. Even today redheads are often singled out for negative attention. I recommend grabbing a copy of 'The Roots of Desire' by Marion Roach - in it she discusses the evolution of the redhead myths and traditions around the world involving them. It is a quick read -not terribly long- and, if what you saw was paranormal, it may well be covered in her book.

Could be that she was simply a spirit bound to the spot but, given that she seemed to look at you, I would lean towards a sentient haunt. So perhaps a little research on the specific area may help.

And, it may have been just an eccentric dresser - I am a redhead and I tend to dress in clothing decades out of style myself 😉
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-08)
Oh, my...

"... Not even 10 seconds later mind you, we decided that she was just a girl and it was nothing to be afraid of. So we mustered up some courage, grabbed a hockey stick and came back outside."

Really?... Do you think that's the right way to treat a girl just because she dresses weird?!

I honestly hope none of you still react that way towards girls. 😠
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-08)
Hi Imcr7--I have known many people in my life who dress, let's say, "eccentrically". This just seems like a woman who dressed to the beat of her own drummer (or whatever).

You state at the end of your account, "Since that day a lot of weird things have happened, and honestly the three of us have never been the same." What are these weird things you allude to? In what ways have the three of you never been the same? This is the kind of stuff that's incredibly pertinent to your account. You really need to include all aspects of an account so the YGS community can consider the whole picture. As it stands, it sounds like you and your friends saw a woman on a bridge. At eleven years old it's not too hard for friends outside at night to work themselves up bit.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-08)
I've had a similar experience, so I find this entirely believable.

Around twilight on a gloomy Good Friday about 22 years back, I was walking between two stately buildings, just steps from a large public plaza, taking a shortcut between my bus stop and apartment. I saw a ghoul, a person with a gray face, dead expression and black, ragged, flowing clothing. I did a double take, turned around and it was gone.

Someone going to a costume party? A re-enactment. I have no idea, and the darkness seemed to have fallen quickly.

I have often wondered if I imagined it. But you have other witnesses. So I am stumped.

Thanks, Imcr7; I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: