You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Sepulveda Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Sepulveda Ghost

 

It was Thanksgiving, as I rode home from my sister's house in San Fernando Valley. The streets at night in Los Angeles are normally pretty barren, but since it was a holiday weekend, I felt like I was peddling through a ghost town. I was twenty two at the time and sharing a one bedroom apartment in Van Nuys. My roommate was out of town, so I was preparing myself for a quiet night. No crazy girlfriends nor any of my alcoholic friends would be banging on my door tonight, so as I made my way down Sepulveda Blvd, a smile of relief spread across my face. When I finally reached my building though, this peace full night at the pad took a one eighty.

There was an older lady standing outside my building. She was alone and dressed in a fur coat with a matching hat. She looked out of place. I don't know if it was her apparel, or how she was just standing there staring off into space, but something was off. There was also a large stack of books and boxes with her, as if she was moving or something. And when I passed her on my mountain bike, goose bumps shot up my arms and back.

There was a liquor store next to my apartment complex, so I figured a beer was in order. It must of took me less than a minute to make my purchase, and when I came back outside, she was gone. "Weird," I mumbled to myself. So, I shrugged it off and made my way to my humble abode.

As soon as I enter my apartment though, red flags shot up. It was strangely chilly in my place. It was almost winter, but this apartment never had gotten cold before. It had always remained an even seventy degrees all year round, but on this night it felt like it was in the low forties.

The cold was coming from a corner of the living room, and as I walked by it (baffled) something grabbed me! It squeezed the lower side of my back. I swung around with my fists up, but the only thing there was the cold. So, I just sat down and opened my beer. What to do, right?

A few minutes had passed, and the cold remained. It felt like I was having a stare down with something I couldn't see. So, out of no where, I blurted out, "Get out of my house!" And sure enough, that's all it took. The temperature began to rise to its normal seventy, and after that, I never had any other visitors from the land of the dead. (Crazy girlfriends and drunk friends excluded of course.)

Other hauntings by ABCNinja

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ABCNinja, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

publicways (32 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2017-11-24)
I find it much easier to believe that there was a disembodied spirit in your apartment then the streets of los angeles were empty!
Malibu09 (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-12)
In response to the previous posters, while I don't know weather this somewhat incomprehensible story is true or not, there are many suburban streets in LA that are extremely quiet especially at night. For the most part most of the main streets stay busy to an extent, but the residential streets can be barren so it's not a stretch in some cases.
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-12)
I suppose it depends on the neighborhood. The account clearly took place maybe 20 years ago, or longer.

But it's stuff like this that makes you doubt an OP's veracity, to be sure.

Although, this story is simple enough that I believe it happened as OP describes. It's the long and complex ones that leave me wondering...
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-12)
Shelby--I'm also from the Midwest, I live just outside Chicago. It is true that Spring Break sees a mass exodus to places like Florida but even suburban Chicago remains quite busy at night.

As for ABCNinja and their account which takes place in Van Nuys, a quick internet search shows that it's an 8.99 square mile LA neighborhood with an estimated 2008 population of 110,747. Within its limits it contains the Van Nuys Airport which is, "the busiest general aviation airport in the world and the 25th busiest airport in the United States." It has two Orange Line Metro stations, one of which is the Sepulveda Station located where this account takes place.

Van Nuys also has the San Diego Freeway running right through it. Even if we consider a chunk of the Van Nuys population leaving the neighborhood seasonally, I think one would be hard pressed to find a major LA neighborhood quite as barren as ABCNinja is claiming. I very well could be wrong but would be interested in reading what ABCNinja's comments would be. Because there is a good amount of "set-up" in this account that hinges on LA having quiet streets at night, which is just not something one usually hears in conjunction with LA.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-12)
Mana,

I grew up in Northern AZ, and westerners are pretty transient. I don't know about the ENTIRE LA city emptying out seasonally, but I'm sure parts of it did, like what would happen in Flagstaff. As soon as the university semester was over, the place turned into a ghost town. Christmas break was the same.

Am now in the Midwest (Indiana) and I find the only time the natives leave here en masse is for Spring Break. Then they are right back. It's not anything like the west, they go to their time share in Florida with the same neighbors they live by, and that's about it.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-08)
Hi ABCNinja--Interesting account. Hard to tell if the woman you saw was related to the frigid temperature at your apartment but feeling a hand grab your lower back would have been a shocker!

As has been stated many times on YGS, often all it takes to get rid of an unwanted entity is to just tell it out loud to leave. So it's cool that worked for you. Did you or your roommate ever have any other potentially paranormal things happen in the apartment? Had you ever felt cold spots in there before? It's possible it was a spirit passing through and your words to leave scared it off but more information would be helpful.

One more thing--you somewhat bizarrely write that the streets at night in Los Angeles are normally pretty barren..." What!? LA is one of the busiest and most overcrowded cities in America. Its nightlife and "a city that never sleeps" reputation are legendary. It's not like a small town in Iowa. I could see streets being empty in a small farm town but LA? That just doesn't ring true. Can you explain what you mean?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: