You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Amelia

Real Ghost Stories

Amelia

 

This started happening a week ago (Today is Monday 26th of June 2017) and I still think about it constantly. That girl still lingers in my mind, and I just can't forget her.

Before I begin I would just like to give an early warning, this might sound like a short story from a book, and I know there's people that's going to think that I made this up, because that is what it's going to sound like, but I assure you that this was 100% real. This is also going to be a bit long and detailed, so bare with me.

I was home alone for a week, starting Sunday the 18th of June, up until today. My sister's holidays started and her and my dad went on a short vacation to visit my grandparents on the coast. I couldn't go with, since being a 1st year student at university required of me to constantly be busy with studying and projects (But to be honest, I didn't really want to go with to start with so I wasn't bothered.)

Monday started: I Woke up at around half past 6 because the university is about an hour's drive from my house. I got dressed for the day and brushed my teeth. Afterwards I just went outside for a bit to play with my dog since I was ready a bit earlier than I normally am. I filled up my dog's bowl with some of the leftover food from the previous night along with his usual dog food, and said goodbye to him as he followed me to my car. I got in, and he simply stopped moving, and just stood outside the door before I could close it. He was staring at the passenger seat, suddenly quiet and completely still. This was completely different to his jumpy and excited behaviour just a few seconds ago when I gave him his food. He lifted up his ears, his mouth was closed, and he was standing up straight. I waited for a few seconds, turned my head to the passenger seat, and saw nothing. I then turned my head back to him and asked him what he was looking at. He turned his head to me, and from what I could gather, it looked like his eyes pleaded to me not to go. I thought he just wanted to come with me though. I got out and sat on the ground with him and gave him a hug, but still he didn't move a muscle, and the whole time he didn't avert his gaze from the passenger seat. I took his head in my hands and turned it to me, (it was hard though, since his head was almost just as big as mine), so he could look me in the eyes. I told him I'm sorry that he can't go with and rubbed his back for another few seconds before getting up, and back into my car. I rolled down my window and as I reversed I greeted him one last time before I departed.

As I drove, I forgot about what he did that morning, since my mind tends to run away with thoughts sometimes (You'd be surprised how much stuff I think of over the period of like five minutes.) It wasn't very far from my house when I just got this feeling that I wasn't alone. It wasn't unsettling, it felt extremely weird, but not uncomfortable. It's hard to explain. I arrived at my destination, got out, and took my bag out of the back and went towards the doors to the university, and the feeling that I wasn't alone disappeared when I entered, so I shrugged it off as my imagination, and made nothing of it since we all know how tricky our mind can be at times. It was an uneventful day though, but long nonetheless. Then at about 6pm, my last class of the day was over, and by that time I forgot about the odd feeling I got that morning. But to my surprise, once more, I got it when I climbed into my car, and yet again, I disregarded it as nothing but my overactive imagination.

I arrived at my house and as I drove up the driveway, my dog frantically jumped up and down, barked over and over again, and ran around the car like the psychotic, yet excitable, dog he is (But I wouldn't trade him for the world). Now, when I opened the door to climb out he was waiting for me outside, and tried jumping into the car onto my lap, but I got out before he could manage it and rubbed him for a few seconds while I still had the chance, because he tends to run up and down and away from me wanting to play sometimes, and all of a sudden he just stopped again at my door and stared at the passenger seat.

Now this was where I got a bit alarmed, because I recalled that he did exactly that, that morning, just a few minutes before I felt as if I'm not alone in the car, and dogs and cats are sensitive to these type of things. So, not really knowing what to do, I just hastily closed the door, got my bag out of the back, and locked the car. Normally, he isn't allowed to come inside, since he's not exactly a small breed, but a fully grown 2 year old pit-bull, but I brought him with me nonetheless, because I didn't want anything bad to happen to him, and it also looked like it's going to start raining soon. This time, simply just moving away from the car, didn't make that feeling of a presence go away. But still, it didn't make me feel uncomfortable, just weird.

I went to fetch Sam's bed outside when I decided he's sleeping in the house tonight, (Sam is my dog's name) and he briefly disappeared, exploring the house I presume. While he was away, the presence became more apparent and I could feel for sure that I'm not alone, but I'd much rather have it pestering me than pestering Sam, so I didn't go search for him. Now I was curious as to what or who this presence was, because this time I noticed something about it that I didn't notice before. It didn't feel as if it had bad intentions, but felt more like it was just sad. I really don't know how to explain, but I could sense sadness. I really wanted to get out my Ouija Board out to attempt speaking to it, but I resisted.

The presence stayed strong for a few minutes, but as I was putting together something for me to eat after bringing in Sam's bed, he revealed himself once again and stopped at the entrance of the kitchen. He entered something that I would call a battle stance, and growled violently at something that supposedly stood next to me, giving it something of a death glare, just as he would have if he was growling at a normal person. The presence suddenly turned very faint, and Sam slowly moved his head from looking next to me, to past him and out of the kitchen. He lunged and snapped at something when he was looking in front of him. I've never seen Sam as aggressive as that before, and he even scared me for a moment there. He stared into the direction of my dad's bedroom door (it was visible from the kitchen, on the other side of the living room), still in his battle stance.

After like two minutes of me just standing there in confusion and helplessness, not knowing what to do, he turned back to me, and was his old cheery self again.

Not long thereafter, the rain I saw earlier started pouring down as if there was a waterfall hanging over earth, accompanied by occasional thunderbolts.

As hard as it was for me to concentrate, I went to do the finishing touches on my one project after I ate, since I had to finish it for the next day. When I was done, I went for a shower and then decided to call it a day even if it was barely even 10pm. I didn't feel the presence again before I went to bed. I struggled to fall asleep regardless of that, because my mind had to process what happened that day. I rolled around in bed with Sam beside me for about two hours before finally falling asleep.

I woke up to the sound of a thunderbolt and the growling of my beloved dog. The rain was still coming down hard. It took my eyes a few moments adjust to the dark, and I spotted Sam standing at my door, in his "battle stance" looking down the hallway. I checked the time. It was nearly 3am. I got up and the first thing I did was reach for my pocket knife, since I thought it was a trespasser. I waited for a few seconds so I could just wake up a bit at least, then I hesitantly walked to the door, and looked down the hallway, and saw a luminescent light that from my perspective looked like it was in the living room.

Ever vigilant, I moved down the hallway, hoping to discover the source of that light, but at the same time I just wanted to turn around and just lock my bedroom door, even if I knew that wouldn't help. I heard sobs, and that alarmed me out. A lot.

I reached the end of the hallway with Sam right in front of me, and looked towards the living room. What I saw sent chills down my spine and made my body freeze in complete shock, my knife fell out of my hand, but I didn't dare to look away from her to pick it up. There was in fact a trespasser, but not at all the kind I was expecting. Three candles were burning on the living room table. Three candles that I've never seen before in my life.

And There she was on the couch - a girl, no older than twenty with hair as black as night, skin as pale as snow, and eyes as blue as the sea. She wore these long jeans, and a dark jersey that covered her arms and torso completely. She had this exquisite natural beauty to her, a type that I have never seen before in my life. The only skin I could see was that of her hands and that of her face, but she was somewhat transparent. And as dry as the desert, which was odd because it was coming down in a downpour outside.

With her teary eyes, she looked back at me, into mine. It felt more than that. It felt as if she was looking through my eyes and directly into my heart... Directly into my very soul.

Sam started barking violently. Then she went from looking into my eyes, to looking at Sam, but the difference was that she looked more terrified than I was when I saw her. Sam charged right at her and lunged through the air, only to find that he passed straight through her, but that didn't stop him. He snapped at her again and again while she cried out to me to please make him stop. Had she been flesh and blood, Sam would've shredded her to pieces. I was frozen, but quickly snapped out of it and called for Sam to stop, it took a lot of courage from me to finally move closer and keep calling Sam.

I finally got his attention and asked him to stop. To my relief, he did, and got off the couch to stand next to me.

She took her tear covered hands off her face and I slowly moved backwards. Then in between sobs, she asked me a question. The sadness in her voice is impossible to describe, and I will never forget her question, paired up with the despair in her face.

She asked me: "Why are you afraid?"

It might not seem like much, but it was to me.

Those words made me feel so guilty; I didn't know how to respond, but after a few seconds, I managed to muster up the courage to say something, and I just told her I'm sorry, and after another few seconds of her just looking at me, I asked her what her name was. She claimed it was Amelia.

So, long story short, me and her spoke for hours about some personal things while Sam laid at my feet the whole time, and she revealed that she died in 2004, she didn't want to say how or why though. She also mentioned the reason why she came to me.

At that stage, she even smiled. She later asked me if she could stay for a few days, and me, as caring and stupid as I am, knowing the dangers of saying yes to a spirit that may or may not be malicious, said yes anyways.

She revealed herself every night over the period of 4 days, and brought nothing other than help to me. Might I add I was very happy that she did come to me,

I'm going to end the story here, because it's getting very long. I might post more about her if people are interested.

And one more thing. The reason I knew that this little encounter wasn't a dream, (I made sure because at first, I also just thought it was a dream) is that the candles never disappeared, although before Amelia arrived, I've never seen them before.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Other hauntings by spookie1

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spookie1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

matrix899 (1 stories) (66 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-17)
"She took her tear covered hands off her face and I slowly moved backwards..."

So...this see-through ghost, sheds real tears, like a living human, and you could see the tears on her see-through hands.

This would also be a first; along with talking to her for 5 days straight.

Yes, this entire story is hard to swallow.

"thinking about it now... It could have been a dream". This I could agree with.
HunterJack (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-17)
felt something new to read. I don't heard about facts that dog can attack an entity or spirit. According to paranormal perspectives dogs can see paranormal things and bark towards it. I think it can't attack that. They just tried to aware of it tried to let know by others. And also that girls apparition accepts the dogs attack is totally different and it first time hear of it!

Further on my thought that it happened on your dream while you feel eerie when your dog glanced at back seat is really different to you!

These are my thoughts and my knowledge about paranormal only.

With Respect

Arunbabu [at] Hunterjack
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-16)
Biblio - I love reading your comments.

It's so obvious that you don't simply comment "off the bat" (as I tend to do) you put a lot of time into concentrating on each and every detail before you submit a very profound opinion.

I wish you a splinter-free seat on the fence whilst I ponder my steel alternative!

Spookie - Please submit the follow-up. I mean that very sincerely 😊

Regards, Melda
L_Melb (220 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-16)
Thanks biblio, I may have doubts but I too would love to have the extra details (which is not my normal reaction 😁)
Apart from that, I have more than once wished I had a hot line to ask you all my questions regarding the English language and have answers from someone who is properly informed!
I for one, appreciate your insights, L 😁
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
Greetings, Spookie.

I am an English teacher, so I read narratives with a natural tendency to want to circle details with a magic marker or highlighter. I'm stating my occupation up front, so you'll know that I'm NOT trying to belittle nor to offend you with my comments. Teachers --contrary to popular belief-- don't like giving students failing grades; we want to encourage students to learn and to grow. I am aware that you are not my student, but I have included the caveat because of my tendency to write pedagogical analyses.

I am very curious about your experience, but you do dwell on the variety of ways *Sam* responded to Amelia's presence. Certainly you've included details that are germane to developing the atmosphere of the story; I don't think I'm out of line stating that we were anticipating the moment when you would reveal exactly who or what was causing Sam's defensive responses. In that regard, you've made a good effort toward developing what Edgar Allan Poe called the "Unity of Effect." Poe believed that if a sentence did not contribute to the building of tension in a short story, it should be removed; everything that occurs must build toward the climax of the narrative.

Your first two paragraphs, in which you supply the initial time-frame and your acknowledgement of the fantastical nature of your narrative reminded me of Charles Dickens' best opening lines: "Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that." ("A Christmas Carol"). That opening hooks in your reader, as you are expressing some skepticism about the events you are going to describe.

The confrontation in the living room, in which you discover that you do not need to fear Amelia, comes as a pleasant surprise, given your dog's reaction to the apparition throughout the tension-building "plot complications" of the exposition. The reader is stunned by the revelation that your protective dog has become the aggressor while the haunting spirit seems genuinely frightened of him. Now, we wait for you to reveal one of two potential reasons for the haunting: 1) the spirit is a deceitful, malevolent entity who is trying to harm you; or 2) the spirit needs help but Sam's actions are causing her to fear you.

It is at that point you write a short paragraph: "So, long story short, me and her spoke for hours about some personal things while Sam laid at my feet the whole time, and she revealed that she died in 2004, she didn't want to say how or why though. She also mentioned the reason why she came to me." Reading this quoted paragraph is similar to sitting in a bar, having a pint with a friend who is describing a fascinating adventure; just when it gets really good, he gets a text from his girlfriend who has a flat tyre. He downs what's left of his drink, says "I've gotta go," and you never find out what the point was.

I respect that "some personal things" are not for debate with the forum in general; that's perfectly natural. I, too, have avoided mentioning precise details about events in my life when discussing some of my narratives. Where the narrative gets snagged like driftwood on a sand bank is the idea that you've been willing to share the events of your narrative in some detail, yet "the reason why she came to me" does not explain anything to us, nor does is elucidate the nature of the conversation. Was she visiting you because you had a deceased loved one who wanted to pass on a message? Was she warning you of a future problem? Was her reticence about the reason for her own death relevant to her conversation with you? Was she visiting you in the capacity of a guardian spirit because you were in some danger?

I'm with Val on this one: "Please submit the conclusion to this story of yours. Be sure you title it 'Amelia part 2'." That way you'll have the entire narrative published for discussion, and members who have climbed up onto the fence [which I had presumed was a wooden one, Melda!] will have the opportunity to climb *off* of the fence, either to embrace your narrative or to board the Miss Demeanor as their opinions dictate.

For the most part, this was a well-paced description of the events. Until you have written "Amelia part 2" for us to get some insight into the visitation, I'm afraid I'm clambering up to sit on the fence, also.

This response was intended to be a polite & respectful analysis of your encounter; if I have given any offense, please reply to let me know.

Best,
Biblio.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
"... Could have been my negligence to the smaller details that made me write about it from the perspective I did."

EXCUSE ME! How can you call FIVE consecutive nights talking to this Amelia "smaller details"?! That's the very essence of your paranormal encounter!

As you can see by the comments, people are waiting to hear the most important part of your experience. If you run away from the chance to explain what happened during those five nights we will only think that we're right by doubting your story.

Don't feel discouraged to probe us wrong! 😐
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
"Going to sound like a soap opera" I meant to say in my previous comment. Sorry about that. My autocorrect is acting up.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
While I don't appreciate lady-glow's sarcasm, I have to admit that it's probably going to sounds like a soap opera.

Not saying the story is a fraud, because it's not. Could have been my negligence to the smaller details that made me write about it from the perspective I did.

But I see red lights so I won't carry on going.

Thanks for the compliments on my writing though. Much appreciated.

Regards
Spookie1
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
Well. Thinking of it now, it Could have been a dream I guess. Amelia may have somehow got the candles on the table in real life but appeared in a dream? Guess that's a possibility.
Flex (9 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Now I'm not saying this isn't true, but if it is that is probably the longest sustained full body apparition contact anyone has ever had... Was it really a few hours a night? A few minutes would seem more reasonable and your just exaggerating for the story? Anyways. Incredible story! Kinda on the fence to believe it or not but wow! My fav on here so far!
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-12)
I should say you write very well. The story keeps the reader glued to itself until its very end.

And coming to your story, I never thought a paranormal account can be so beautiful and also full of grief. Honestly this one is bit hard to believe, yet I want to believe. Going to my favs.

Thanks for sharing! 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-11)
L_Melb - It really doesn't matter! I wish somebody like our late President Nelson Mandela would come along and beef up this beautiful but crazy country 😊

Regards, Melda
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-11)
Oh dear... "beef up"? 😕 I think "beat up" is what I should have put in my last comment.
I think it may be time for my nap 😜
Once again, excuse my interruption and self indulgence!
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-11)
Hey Melda 😁
I am waiting too!
I know it may seem strange as it all sounds a bit much to believe but I am really curious about what is supposed to have been said
Oh dear, metal fences all round hey? I have heard about the crime problems in South Africa but was hoping it was a media beef up 😕
If in need we could probably find a spare km or two down here for you 😁
Take care! L
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-11)
L_Melb - When I say I want to read Spookie's follow-up I'm actually 100% serious about that. It's like being glued to a TV programme when all the advertisements come up and you rush off to get a snack and coffee.

Isn't it strange how we get differing impressions of things in different countries? Here's me thinking "the fence" is made of steel. Wood didn't even cross my mind 😆

If you lived in South Africa you'd understand. No white picket fences here. 6 to 8 foot walls with barbed wire on top, 6 foot steel gates, video cameras and so we go on, depending on how paranoid we are or how often we've been burgled!

A splinter in the bum doesn't sound so bad after all that 😆

Regards, Melda
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-10)
It sounds like you have been visited by the girl of your dreams!
I find myself getting splinters from the fence but at the same time I'm most curious as to what was discussed 😕
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-10)
Spookie - As much as I loved your story I have to agree with AugustaM. I have seen full-bodied apparitions on a few occasions and the longest any of those lasted was approximately ten minutes.

That's just me, I'm not saying that other people have not had these visits for longer than that.

Nevertheless I still want to hear more - I'm certainly not judging you at this stage!

Regards, Melda
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-10)
Sorry, Spookie, but I have to say I am on the fence with this one but I'll keep an open mind. I have never heard of a spirit reacting to a dog's attack like that and to have maintained sustained contact with a fully manifested spirit for hours is nothing short of remarkable.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
Spookie,
Please submit the conclusion to this story of yours. Be sure you title it 'Amelia part 2'. I must say, your command of the English language has vastly improved over your previous submissions.It's almost as if someone else wrote this you've improved so much.
Have you checked with your family to see if someone else bought the candles without you knowing?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+6
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
Spooky: do you realize that this story is more about your dog than about your FIVE DAYS encounter with a ghost?

"... I might post more about her if people are interested."

Of course we will be interested to know more about your...er...experience but, you are aware the site is for REAL ghost experiences, aren't you?

You have been around long enough as to know we will be asking questions and, no offence intended, this first episode of "Amelia" is quite questionable and makes me wonder if "Amelia II, III, IV and V" could benefit the story or only turn it into a low rate soap opera. 😐

Is up to you to decide what to do next.

Best Regards.
Jon Santa, member of the TPU.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
Spookie - I honestly don't know what to say to you. Perhaps I shouldn't even comment but I do want to tell you that I was glued to my PC screen. Please send in the next episode, seriously, I can't wait to read it!

Did she have discussions with you every night, for hours? If so, one highly "spirited" and strong young ghost lady.

By the way what are you studying at varsity - drama?

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Spookie: what did you put in your food?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: