You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Strange Sleep Paralysis

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Sleep Paralysis

 

When I was about 11 years old my parents had split up and they moved into two separate houses. At my dad's house I got to pick my own room and I chose the master bedroom because it had a nice view of outside. I found out later on that my bedroom was the only part left of the previous house on the property that was built in the 1950's. I don't know anything about the previous house or what happened to it. After a few months of being in my dad's house I started experiencing something strange.

I called it sleep paralysis because I didn't know what else to call it. Every night as I would go to fall asleep my body would slowly become paralyzed. I didn't know what was happening and for a while I was scared but I soon got used to it. I would also only have this experience in my dad's house, never at my mom's. Then after my experience with what I believe to be the spirit of a little girl (if you want to know about that experience then go to my previous story) it suddenly stopped.

Years later I was told what sleep paralysis actually was and I realized what I experienced was not it. After reading many cases and stories about sleep paralysis I noticed they all had one thing in common. A dark shadowy figure either sitting on top of them or somewhere in the room. I also soon found out that when I fall asleep on my back no matter who's house I'm at I experience sleep paralysis but something is off.

After reading about all the different stories I expected to see dark shadowy figures but I never do. I've had hallucinations of my bedside light glitching out and a loud buzzing in my ear, a pillow case floating in front of my face and a tall blue blob walking towards me with the words El Chapo being repeated like someone whispering them in my ear. To get out of it I repeat "It's not real" over and over in my head or I can move around and slowly get out of it like I did as a kid.

I refrain from sleeping on my back so I don't have experiences like that again. But I always am wondering how come whenever I experience sleep paralysis I always have strange hallucinations like the ones I listed above. Is it normal that I don't see a shadowy figure or is it something else? Also if you have anything that could explain my experience with paralysis as a kid that would be very helpful.

Other hauntings by Melintina

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melintina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Doyle - The old hag is a very well-known, or dare I say notorious, syndrome? Best I keep my opinion of her to myself 😆

Regards, Melda
Doyle09 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Here in Newfoundland we call them "The Old Hag", I know multiple people who have had them, I've only had 1. Not sure why these happen but it is scary.
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
I agree Melda,
With my slow moving powers of deduction, it always confused me that unlike other cases I'd read, I felt pressure holding me down on my back until I was hit with the obvious... I sleep on my stomache 😜
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Melintina - Not all sleep paralysis episodes have dark, shadowy people sitting on them or appearing somewhere in the room.

I have also experienced sleep paralysis on a few occasions where nothing was sitting on me and I didn't see anything, dark and shadowy or otherwise. It was often a feeling of being prodded on my back, pulling my hands or feet, pulling on my duvet - that sort of thing. I was aware of the fact that it was sleep paralysis. That doesn't mean to say that those were not extremely disconcerting experiences!

On the other hand I have had experiences which I know were definitely not sleep paralysis, despite the fact that some of the symptoms were similar. There will be people who will disagree with me and that's fine.

By the way I never sleep on my back, always on my side, so I'm not so sure that sleeping on your back has that much to do with it either.

All I can say is you will go with your own gut feeling, regardless, but I do have to add that sleep paralysis feels very real.

Regards, Melda
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
I think sleep paralysis can take various forms.
I for one have never seen anything when having gone through it
Just a bit of a different perspective 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: