You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunted Papermill

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted Papermill

 

A few months ago, I took a job as a security guard at Longview Fibre in Longview, WA. The job sucked. It was the most boring thing I've ever done. I worked the graveyard shift (12am-8am). My job consisted of walking half the property of the paper mill 5 times each night. It was about 16 miles of walking per day. During my rounds, I had to enter each building, walk through it, and exit on the other side of it. After doing this for a week or so, I began to notice some unexplainable things...

The first thing I noticed was in the garage. The garage was a building where forklifts and heavy equipment were maintained. It was built in two sections. There was an old section that was built many years ago, and a newer one that was built probably within the last 20 or so years. These two sections were not separated by doors or anything like that. The new section was basically just an addition to the old building. There was a large passageway that connected the two parts. During my rounds, I wasn't required to go in the newer section, but after a few nights, I figured I'd look around. As soon as I entered the newer section of the building, a loud banging started. I just kind of shrugged it off as creaking pipes or something and went on with my shift.

The second time I noticed something weird, I was in the garage again. When I went in the garage, I was supposed to enter at one door, walk across the old section, and exit on the other end. Near the exit door was a counter. On top of the counter was a large cardboard box full of empty pop cans. Someone must have been recycling. Well, one night, as I was walking toward the exit door, about 15 feet from it, that cardboard box scooted off the counter and onto the floor. The pop cans went everywhere. I wasn't looking at the box as it fell, but rather, the ground ahead of me. I was bored and just staring at the floor as I walked. Now, I wasn't looking straight at the box, but it was right in front of me. I'd swear that after the box fell, I saw a shadow zip away from it to the left. I thought it must have been a pop can that rolled away really fast, but looked and there was nothing that went that way. Then I shrugged it off thinking it must have been a mouse or something.

The third time I noticed something weird, I was once again in the garage. Let me explain the layout a little further. When you walk in the entry door, there is a flight of stairs right in front of you. At the top of the stairs is a store room. The door to the room is always supposed to be locked. Well one night I walked into the garage and saw the door to the store room wide open. I went up the stairs to check the room to make sure no one was in there. Immediately as I walked in the room I felt someone breathing on the back of my neck. I also had an overwhelming feeling that someone was watching me. Of course, that could have had something to do with the breath on the back of my neck! Needless to say I got the hell out of there quick!

After having quite a few experiences, I brought it up to my co-workers. Turns out, everyone of them (except for ONE) had had numerous experiences. In fact, there were several that would refuse to enter certain buildings after dark. We exchanged stories and found that we had all had experiences in the same places. One guy, said that he saw the same store room door open that I did, and as he was watching, he saw someone walk across the door way. But he went up and checked the room and no one was there. Another lady had seen a figure in some steam outside the garage. I'm not really one to be scared by this stuff, so I got pretty curious.

The next time I was in the garage, I made sure to go visit the new section wondering what I could find out about the loud banging in there. I started by standing on the edge of the new section and the old section. I was just on the side of the old section. I stood there for a few minutes and listened very quietly. It was completely quiet. You could have heard a pin drop. Then I took one step into the new section. I stood there for a few seconds and the loud banging started. That particular day, it sounded like someone was hitting the metal siding with a big chain. So then I stepped back into the old section and the banging stopped. I did this procedure a couple times. After I was confident that it was only banging when I was in the new section, I figured I'd try to figure out where it was coming from. I was unsuccessful. The banging would move as you move through building. It would always seem like it's coming from the wall near you, but when you go there, it's coming from somewhere else. Just a little creepy huh?

A week or so later, I used my cell phone to take some video of the banging. Obviously all there is to see is the inside of the garage, but you can hear the banging. But there's something weird about it. There's TONS of static! It almost drowns out the really loud banging (however you can still hear it). I've heard that if you slow down the sound, the static becomes and audible message or something like that. At the moment I can't transfer the video onto my computer (need a cable) but when I can, I'll post it here.

I've had several more experiences at this location, including a light show, but I'm getting tired of typing now. Maybe I can add to it later. I'll post the video when I can.

Other hauntings by therealcombat

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, therealcombat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostospirit (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
Similar things have happened to me, but at my HOUSE😳
I wish I could just post the story
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Does anybody know when and why this video was removed from both this site and youtube?

Vox_Animae, that doesn't necessarily mean the original doesn't belong to this OP. However, funny how it's suddenly gone.
Vox_Animae (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Hey everyone, I read this story a few years ago on the 4chan board /x/, The video was posted as well. This is copypasta.
iashiaa (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-11)
Woah that really creepy... I would have quit the job... But seriously that's so creepy 😨 😨
BooDoll (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-11)
OMG PEOPLE DID YOU NOTICE THAT WHEN YOU SEE LIKE THE STAIRS I THINK THEY ARE THERE IS A HUMAN FIGURE SHADOW WALKING DOWN THE TIME IS 11 SECS OMG LOOK CLOSELY I JUST NOTICE THIS! 😨
Perfek360 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-07)
i live very close to this mill. I was always told that one of the mills was built on an old indian barrial ground called coffin rock. True fact, but just can't remember which mill it was. This could explain the noises you are hearing
hyperboy (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-12)
hello therealcombat. I know where the banging is coming from and yes I know this stuff I may be 14 but I am very smart now you know the big doors I don't remember the name but that's where its coming from and like white said it is an intellegent being but if it wanted you out it wouldn't lead you somewhere which means like white said it wants you to help it out but I suggest looking at it during the day with a lot of people or have someone with you while your on your rounds so it would be easier to get a second oppinion just don't tell them about the noises.
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
So Anna, after all that asking for a video, you didn't even have anything to say about it?
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Ok, put the vid on youtube. I have one more, but it's pretty much the same thing. Be sure to take note, you'll have to turn your sound way up. Also, all the static makes it sound like something is running in the background, but nothing was. It was silent. You could have heard a pin drop. Click the link below to see the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIhfkvb418
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
Great! Thank you. I hope it has not been a problem for you to get all that stuff just to post a video on a site. I will be checking frequently. 😁
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
Yes I am still checking them. After reading your comment I went to ebay and bought the stuff I need to get the video on my computer. Check back in a week or so. I should have it posted within a day or two of getting the cable and software. :)
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
I'm just teasing. Take your time. It has been a while though... I don't know if you're still checking this story's comments. LOL
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-05)
lol! I need a cable. USB to micro USB. Plus I need motorola phone tools to get the video off my phone. That's not really a problem, I can just bittorrent that, but it may take some time to find it.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-05)
Hello once again!
Got me that video yet? 😁

My friend is a very skilled ghost hunter-ish person that would be more than happy to check out your video.
Good luck!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-03)
Well, therealcombat, that sounds like the least boring job I've ever heard of! That was a really interesting story. Have you ever found anything on the history of the paper mill or the land itself? Did anyone else working there have any info? I'd be curious about that. I'd love to hear your recordings and any more you have to tell about it. Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
Thank you for sharing your story. I found it to be very interesting. Most of the other readers have pretty much posted the same questions and commentts I would have.
I am very curious to hear further accounts of this paper mill though.

have you had any experiences other than when working here?

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
Therealcombat,
The fact that you are willing to take the time to turn out a light and see if it's going to come back on says to me you have the true makings of a good ghost hunter. You may get a little freaked but apparently your horse sense kicks in and you do your job and it doesn't cause you to go running in the opposite direction or just quitting the job because you are too scared. You do have cast iron balls in my opinion and that is the true makings of anyone who can investigate the supernatural with logic and intelligence. Most good ghost hunters are there to debunk claims but when that doesn't happen they are also the same ones that can keep their cool when the chit hits the fan.
mcrgirl623 (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-31)
so cool good job on writing the story I want to see the video haha! 😁
and the other story
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-31)
that is a great story! I love it, have you ever asked anyone what was in the property where the new building is? Or if anything ever happened in that section of it? It would be interesting to find out what happened and maybe it would explain some of the happenings.
I have to admit I would not be able to work there any longer.
You are a brave man!
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
I know in that town there was some building that was built on top of an old indian burial ground, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the papermill. I don't know how long there has been activity in the building, I only worked there for a month before I quit. I moved out of state.
GlendaSC (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Sometimes when people tell me about an active site, I wonder what might have gone on with the land - before the buildings. Was it an old Native American or pioneer gravesite - that type of thing. Did this start only after the new part was added or had the old part always been active?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Sorry about that, therealcombat. Usually after reading a story I try not to get swayed by what other people think by reading the comments before posting my own.
I read them after posting, but once you hit publish, there is no turning back. Again, I am sorry for re questioning the same things on part of my comment.
After reading your final paragraph in your response to me, I am wondering if the being wants you out, or wants you to help out? It sounds as if it is an intelligent haunting, so there must be some reason it seeks out people. I would think.
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
[at] whitebuffalo I already answered most of your questions in the comment I posted just before yours. As for the banging sounds, they didn't always sound like chains. Sometimes they just sounded like a generic banging on the metal siding. In fact, in the video, it sounds just like banging, not chains. Sometimes though, it was obvious that it was chains.

As for something being outside the garage making the noise, there wasn't. There were two doors at the far end of the new section. These doors went directly to the outside without going through another section of the building. One night I stood at one of these doors, and there was loud banging right next to me. When I opened the door, it stopped. I walked outside and looked around and nothing was touching the building. As for why this entity would choose to contact me like this, I always thought it was a pretty effective way for an entity to tell me to "Get the $%^$ out of the building".
melonlover (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
That's an interesting story the real combat I'd love to see the video! And I'd like to hear more about that story if possible 😁
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Hi therealcombat,
I'd be interested in seeing the video too 😁 I agree with the others, that you have some steady nerves. Not sure if I could continue working there after the box of pop cans incident. The light always being on is also a mystery!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Hello again, therealcombat.
I find it interesting that in the garage area, the newer section seemed to have some unexplained sounds coming from it. I would think that the older section would have been where all the action was. What happened in the newer section to keep some energy there, do you know?
The second occurrence seems to read like it happened in the old section. You wrote that you were supposed to walk across the old section and exit through a separate door. The cans that were scattered, did that happen in the old section, or did I read that wrong?
It feels kind of "Christmas Carol"ish that the sound of the banging was like that of someone banging a chain up against metal siding. I wonder why this is the way that it appears to want to contact you? Are you sure that there is nothing outside of the garage that could be banging up against the structure to make this sound? Just things to think about, I guess.
Thank you for your story.
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Yeah, A buddy of mine said I must have cast iron balls or something. I gotta admit though, my hair was always standing on end when I was in there. It scared the shiat out of me. I don't know though, I guess I just wanted to know what it was for sure. I'll never go in that store room again, that's for sure! The door for the store room BTW, automatically locks. So it being wide open is even more intriguing.

Also, I think I'll tell you all about the light show now too. One night as I was walking from the garage to one of the loading docks, I saw a bright light on the ground against the wall of the box plant. (the building where cardboard boxes are made) I went over to check it out, and was quite perplexed when I found out it was a work light. It was Sunday around 1am. No one was around, and there was no reason to have a work lamp out here. It was basically a light on the end of an extension cord, with a cage around the light to keep it from shattering when dropped. There was no switch on the light, basically, when you plug it in, it's on. Well I kind of scratched my head wondering why this light was outside and on. I picked it up and as soon as I touched it, it started flickering off and on. When I stood all the way up with it, it stopped flickering and turned off. I hung it up on the side of the building and finished my round. About an hour later when I was walking by the same spot, that light was on again. This time I didn't bother. Every time that night, after that, that light was in the same spot, ON.
therealcombat (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Well I wondered about that too. The box that shoved off the shelf actually happened in the old section which was pretty wierd, but all the banging was in the new section. I asked the main gate operator (who had been there for some time) if anyone had died in there. He said that someone had a heart attack and croaked right there on the spot in the newer section about 10 years ago.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
You must have nerves of steel. If I heard loud banging and then it stopped and started as I entered or left a room it would unnerve me. You sound like a no nonsense type person if you were willing to check it out and do some experimenting. I mean you don't seem to scare easily. The locked door being wide open would bother me too especially if the rules were it was to always be locked. I know people can forget to do that but then the door should have been just unlocked not wide open. Being that you are not the only one that has had these things happen it would be high time to bring in some ghost hunters if the company would allow it. I don't know what they were paying you but it wouldn't be enough for me to stay there unless they got some investigations done. I would love to see the video as well. I will be watching for it. Good luck.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-28)
Hi therealcombat. Thank you a a very interesting read. I found it fascinating that the new part of the building was active and not the old. Wonder why?

FRAWIN 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: